Two B&W images from Cornwall using the SD1M and a 10 Stop Lee Big Stopper.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
L Tippett
Senior MemberPosts: 1,455
Like?
Two B&W images from Cornwall using the SD1M and a 10 Stop Lee Big Stopper.
9 months ago

Hi all,

Just converted two images from earlier in the year that i had taken whilst on one of my trips back down to Cornwall.

These were both taken using the SD1 Merrill and the Lee Big Stopper.

Hope you like them both.

Kind regards Lea.

Sigma SD1 Sigma SD1 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ju_ju
Contributing MemberPosts: 884Gear list
Like?
Re: Two B&W images from Cornwall using the SD1M and a 10 Stop Lee Big Stopper.
In reply to L Tippett, 9 months ago

Lea superb images. I personally fall more for the first, like the composition and portrait layout for this image, it works very well.  Godrevy is a wonderful location. Last time there, it was to windy to do much photography.

ju_ju's gear list:ju_ju's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
John Brubaker
Regular MemberPosts: 366
Like?

Beautiful images - I like them both very much.  Thanks for posting ---john.

L Tippett
Like?
Thanks Julian and John.

L Tippett wrote:

Hi all,

Just converted two images from earlier in the year that i had taken whilst on one of my trips back down to Cornwall.

These were both taken using the SD1 Merrill and the Lee Big Stopper.

Hope you like them both.

Kind regards Lea.

I would like to try and get used to the Big Stopper if possible because the last one i had only lasted a couple of days before it got broken.

Old Tin mines are ideal subjects for B&W in my opinion due to the stonework and textures in the mines.

I hope to get down to Cornwall again soon to have another go with the Big Stopper as i am still only learning how to use it really.

Thanks for looking.

Kind regards Lea.

marcodadofoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 913
Like?
Re: Thanks Julian and John.

Hi Lea, it was time for You to post something!!

I like them both, just the sea around the cliffs in the old mines is perhalps a little burnt.

The problem with long exposures expec. with sigma, in my little experience, is the noise and the terrible colour casts.

I have a 8 stop Hi Tech filter (while the B.S. is a 10 stop), and find it usable not in many situations, as I always have to go crazy with the colours or convert in B&W.

I remember weel those mines: in that one, if I don't get wrong, there was the engines. I went down in it from a little coastal path.

ps. not far there is Lands'End, I found very interesting the little village before it, from where Y can take the coastal path and reach Lands End avoiding the orrible commercial buildings they have build.

Really glad to see You back Lea!

marco

L Tippett
Like?
Hi Marco,
In reply to marcodadofoto, 9 months ago

Hi Marco,

Thanks for the comments on the images.

Yes i do agree with your remark about the sea being a little burnt out on the second image.

I will see if i am able to maybe correct the image a little as i quite like the composition and am interested how it would look printed out.

Sorry i have not been around quite so often of late which is a combination of many things mostly down to work though.

I have finished work now until after christmas which is nice so maybe a little more time for photography  at last!

I also realise that the forum is really about the camera gear and not so much peoples photos so i have decided to not post images so much on here although i will from time to time if i feel it's relevant to the gear.

I will PM you soon Marco.

Kind regards Lea.

DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,619
Like?

I think the first image is beautiful if too tall, almost like a vertical pano. I'd chop off a bit from the top to get a better balanced composition and it would be a shot to be proud of.  Technically, there is a strange noise pattern in the bottom right corner. Little black dots when viewed 1:1.

The second image is impressively sharp but if anyone is wondering why luminance aliasing is bad, look at the grass on the cliff top centre foreground at 1:1.  It is aliased and looks weird as a result.

-- hide signature --
Gesture
Senior MemberPosts: 2,268Gear list
Like?
In reply to DMillier, 9 months ago

Thanks for sharing. Thoughtful work, as always.

TRIODEROB
Senior MemberPosts: 1,023
Like?
In reply to Gesture, 9 months ago

LEA-

great work as always !

this time tho I am going to make a suggestion.

try mixing it up a little.

what I mean is that it seems to me that you are following a formula which works.

try to break the mold next time and take an artistic risk.

it could be in composition or post processing

this may seem harsh at first but it will make sense at some point to you (if not immediately)

davidrm
Senior MemberPosts: 1,344
Like?
Re: Thanks Julian and John.
In reply to marcodadofoto, 9 months ago

Exactly how bad are the colour casts in such a situation ?  I'd be interested to see the original colour version, warts'n'all...:-)

-- hide signature --

Blogs and galleries at http://www.snowhenge.net
E-System photos at http://www.flickr.com/photos/snowhenge/

Ines
Regular MemberPosts: 261
Like?

Hi Lea,

I like both pictures very much. The effect of the long exposure I really like. In particular, the clouds I find very cool.
These old mines we have also seen often. Those are great photo motives. Nice memories...
Actually, I like more the color photos, but these pictures I also like B&W.

Greetings,

Ines

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads