A99 vs D800 real world testing

Started 4 months ago | Questions
nikony c
Junior MemberPosts: 31Gear list
Like?
A99 vs D800 real world testing
4 months ago

Hello there I have owned the Minolta 7D and it died, so I got the D300s and it still works great. But I’m retiring soon and I want one more camera. Has anyone done any tests with the A99 vs D800, I know that files are larger with the D800. But on dp the test showed the A99 to be a better FF camera. I was just wondering if anyone had done any real world testing with these two cameras. I basically photograph people in the studio but would love to a better low light and IQ camera also and I still have my 50 & 135mm for the Minolta and a 50 1.8 & 85 1.8 for the Nikon. With what I have which zoom lens would I need for either of these. Or would an A77 in the studio be enough mp for any case where I needed or wanted to crop? Any help would be appreciated.

nikony c's gear list:nikony c's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D200 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +2 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D300S Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jimrpdx
Senior MemberPosts: 2,848Gear list
Like?
Re: A99 vs D800 real world testing
In reply to nikony c, 4 months ago

A quick online search shows several head-to-head tests.  DxO implies that the Nikon does high-ISO better by enough to make a difference, as other scores are too close to be meaningful.

-- hide signature --

Jim in (or near) Oregon -- Pentax user, Alpha & m4:3 veteran
talking to myself at http://granitix.blogspot.com

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Pentax K-01 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
yihlee
Regular MemberPosts: 448
Like?

Bought D800 last June and A99 last November. Sold the A99 after two months of fun.

D800 has slightly better dynamic range and low light performance (ISO 1600 and up). And slightly better AF function and performance. Those are the reasons I kept it.

D800's 36M sensor would greatly magnify the faults from both the lens and the user. It will take some effort to master D800 and definitely top quality lenses to show off the beauty of its sensor. Avoid Nikon D-type lenses - most of them are good, but not good enough for D800.  Avoid budget zoom lenses - they are for budget camera.

A99 is more customizable and generally an all-around very fast and very capable camera - better than any cameras I've used. It's an easy-going, easy-handling and fun-to-use camera. And I would highly recommend Sony G-type lenses. Most film-era lenses are just not matched for modern digital sensors. And again, no budget lenses here.

As for A77, I can't say.  But I do have a A65 which uses the similar sensor as A77. Above ISO 800, its IQ is way behind A99. So I would think A77 may not do much better.

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,275
Like?

For studio work, I would look at the A7 twins and you can use your Nikon lenses.

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,277Gear list
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, 4 months ago

I have had D800 for more than one year and have never stopped being amazed by its quality. I was about to use D800 for pile of old Nikon glass I have but ending up with buying newer G lenses.

For the same reason.I have not got A99. I got 5D III instead. I believe a newer FF body from Sony will be better.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +50 more
Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 786Gear list
Like?

I don't have any of the above but I manage to get D800E for a couple of days. I think its one of the camera which produces the overall best image quality.

I saw a non-sense thread on DPR where the OP was selling his D800 for Nokia Lumia 1020 with 41mp of camera. Here is the link : http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3566936

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
dave
Junior MemberPosts: 46Gear list
Like?

nikony c wrote:

I basically photograph people in the studio but would love to a better low light and IQ camera also and I still have my 50 & 135mm for the Minolta and a 50 1.8 & 85 1.8 for the Nikon.

I think your best choice is the Nikon D610. It has better high ISO performance then the other two due to larger pixels and IQ is about the same. It has smaller files and costs less. Nikon also fixed the new model issues of the D600 with the D610.

dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Canon EOS 5D Sony Alpha 7
danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 756Gear list
Like?

Looking at the studio comparison tool I don't see a lot of difference between the A77 and A99, at low ISO that is, ISO200/400. From ISO800 and higher the A99 does better.

So for studio work you might aswell get an A77.

And yes, the D600 has lower noise, I think 2/3 stop. But I am always put off if I see the jpegs from Nikon, just not good enough. Raw IQ is good.

D800 has more noise in my opinion, by that I mean visible noise. DxOmark rates it higher probably because of the higher pixel count which gives also more detail. Jpegs again are not good.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,886Gear list
Like?

Someone else mentioned this too, but have you considered the A7 or A7R by Sony?

If you are insistent on using lenses from both camps, this can be done with the cameras mentioned above by using adapters.

The A7 is using a similar sensor found in the RX1 and A99 while the A7R is using a similar sensor that is found in the D800E.

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony 50mm F1.4 +21 more
nikony c
Like?
In reply to dave, 4 months ago

I was also thinking about the 610 and have heard good reviews about it. I have about three or four months before I do anything (birthday gift), who knows there may be a D400 or a A79 by then. But until then just having fun with what I have.

Thank all
Carl

PS: I realize it's not the bow but the Indian, but nothing wrong with having a good BOW

Nikon D300 Nikon D200 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +2 more
nikony c
Like?
In reply to VirtualMirage, 4 months ago

It's not that wanted to use lenses from both camps, it's that those were the best primes I have form both camps. So in other words those would be my starting lenses.

JusLookN
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,909Gear list
Like?

I also shoot Sony and Nikon.  If you are picking between the A99 and the D-800, I would surely go for the D-800 if this is going to be your last camera.  There is no question you can shoot any Nikon lens you would want and not even have to worry about flash. Anything from Nikon from here on out is hardly going to better the D-800.  If a D-400 comes out, I'm gonna get one! 

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,740Gear list
Like?

I own and use both. I prefer using the a99 because of the articulating screen, EVF, IBIS, smaller size, better live view and Zeiss auto focus lenses. The D800 is a more complex camera that takes more effort to get good results and it's only advantage over the a99 is about a stop better noise control. This is the short story.

if you are old school and like using older SLRs the D800 might be your ticket.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

nikony c
Like?
In reply to cosmonaut, 4 months ago

I'm not necessarily old school, it's just that my glass is ole school .

Haven’t used a Minolta/Sony in a few years, but I loved the way the Minolta 7d felt in my hands. Truly a sad day when it passed on… and as I stated I have a D300s so the Nikon is one that would easily be more familiar to me right now and take a lot work to get all I can from it. But Min/Sony is where I started loved everything I bought the 300s (film) 800s the 7 and the 7D. But Nikon does have a better flash system or at least I like it. Also as was stated I could get a A77 and use it a while and then hide it after it has paid for itself….lol (in other words not let the wife see it (a new one, whatever it may turn out to be) Live for today and think about tomorrow.

cosmonaut
Senior MemberPosts: 1,740Gear list
Like?

The D800 is a very good camera. Nice dynamic range and amazing low light performance. The a77 however is a noisy camera above 1600 ISO.

-- hide signature --

www.gregmccary.com

Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,996Gear list
Like?

nikony c wrote:

I’m retiring soon and I want one more camera.

A new A9x should appear in a few month, with 36MP...

Be patient.

Has anyone done any tests with the A99 vs D800, I know that files are larger with the D800. But on dp the test showed the A99 to be a better FF camera.

Or would an A77 in the studio be enough mp for any case where I needed or wanted to crop? Any help would be appreciated.

Just my 0,02, maybe it would be better you "shot as you crop" instead to think you're supposedly needed to crop as much (remembering the film days...), because you can increasing your artistic skills, no matter the camera you could choose. That can save your time in PP to enjoy longer session in the real life..

Regards,
--
Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
nikony c
Like?
In reply to Michel J, 4 months ago

True Mike, but have you had a good shot that when you cropped it it was better? When I photograph people I do try to look ahead in my mind  or take a shot  look at it and take another slightly different. Just have a few more MP just helps.

Michel J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,996Gear list
Like?

nikony c wrote:

True Mike,

Thanks

but have you had a good shot that when you cropped it it was better?

If I say "no",I'll go to be very pretentious I wanted to say"no" because the background and the foreground are a part of the aesthetic. So if you cut ... Ok, I would say "it's very rare", reason why I'm a fast shooter and use a good zoom, maybe.

When I photograph people I do try to look ahead in my mind or take a shot look at it and take another slightly different. Just have a few more MP just helps.

accordingly"The better is the enemy of good" (?) - Voltaire

Best Regards,

-- hide signature --

Michel J
« Having the latest gear is nice, but great photographers don't have to have it. They can shoot good stuff with anything »

Michel J's gear list:Michel J's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads