Is anyone shooting the current Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS HSM?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
garykohs
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,408Gear list
Like?
Is anyone shooting the current Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS HSM?
7 months ago

I have the G1 Sony 70-200/2.8. I like it a lot but the focus speed is not great. I've just purchased an a99 (but haven't gotten it yet) and I want the best lens for basketball shooting, among other things. I'm wondering how good the current Sigma is.

I know that the Sigma would mean not using AF-D but I don't know how important that is.

Thoughts are welcome.

garykohs's gear list:garykohs's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
Sony SLT-A99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AarSee
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,367Gear list
Like?
Re: Is anyone shooting the current Sigma 70-200/2.8 OS HSM?
In reply to garykohs, 7 months ago

I have been shooting with the Sigma 70-200 OS HSM for the last year with my A77.

What exactly are you looking for as a comparison?  I don't have a Sony 70-200G to compare.

I like the Sig for the most part.  It is pretty sharp @ 2.8 and very sharp @ 4.0.  The OS is nice and it focuses pretty fast and quietly.

If I had the Sony I don't think I would trade to go to the Sigma.  Just my opinion.

-- hide signature --

Rick

AarSee's gear list:AarSee's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
garykohs
Like?
In reply to AarSee, 7 months ago

Thanks for your thoughts. Have you shot sports with the Sigma?

Sony SLT-A77 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Sony SLT-A55 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A99 +12 more
lhkjacky
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?

The Tamron A009 is better than Sigma.

DXO Mark (Sony VS Tamron VS Sigma)

At 70mm F2.8

At 200mm F2.8

lhkjacky's gear list:lhkjacky's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +5 more
AarSee
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,367Gear list
Like?

garykohs wrote:

I spent quite a bit of time this year shooting foot races, 5k, 10k, with a pro for his business.  I used my A77 & Sigma 70-200, and my A57 & Sal 16-50. My results were good enough to earn sales.

I found the Sigma did pretty well focusing and gave good images in the f3.2-5.6 range. I was shooting in shutter priority so the f range varied.

I am not sure what advantage that you are looking for over the Sony version.  I know a fellow Sony user that has a Sal 70-200, so we could do a comparison in the near future.  He also has a A99 so we can check out tests that would be close to your setup.  If you are not in a real hurry to switch we will have something for you to compare.

-- hide signature --

Rick

AarSee's gear list:AarSee's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-3N Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +13 more
garykohs
Like?
In reply to AarSee, 7 months ago

AarSee wrote:

garykohs wrote:

I spent quite a bit of time this year shooting foot races, 5k, 10k, with a pro for his business. I used my A77 & Sigma 70-200, and my A57 & Sal 16-50. My results were good enough to earn sales.

I found the Sigma did pretty well focusing and gave good images in the f3.2-5.6 range. I was shooting in shutter priority so the f range varied.

I am not sure what advantage that you are looking for over the Sony version. I know a fellow Sony user that has a Sal 70-200, so we could do a comparison in the near future. He also has a A99 so we can check out tests that would be close to your setup. If you are not in a real hurry to switch we will have something for you to compare.

-- hide signature --

Rick

Thanks. I'm not in a hurry at all. I'll certainly try my G1 with the a99.

The G1 lens just doesn't focus very fast. In fact I had the non OS Sigma at one time and it focused faster but lacks the focus limiter switch of the Sony. Given that I found the two about even and kept the Sony.

I'm just wondering if the newer Sigma is faster.

Gary

garykohs
Like?
In reply to lhkjacky, 7 months ago

lhkjacky wrote:

The Tamron A009 is better than Sigma.

DXO Mark (Sony VS Tamron VS Sigma)

At 70mm F2.8

At 200mm F2.8

How is it for AF speed?

steelhead3
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,787
Like?

I find the ver1 to be really fast focusing with the 700 and 900 with 2,8 center double cross AF point.  The 77 lacks this ability (and 99) and while a superior AF module does slow down a bit with 2,8 (or faster lenses).

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,361Gear list
Like?

garykohs wrote:

I have the G1 Sony 70-200/2.8. I like it a lot but the focus speed is not great. I've just purchased an a99 (but haven't gotten it yet) and I want the best lens for basketball shooting, among other things. I'm wondering how good the current Sigma is.

I know that the Sigma would mean not using AF-D but I don't know how important that is.

Thoughts are welcome.

I have this lens for one year and two. I also had the first generation but I gave it to my cousin. The thing is...I do not like the yellow cast. The build quality is superb and that was the reason I bought this. Optically it can be better

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +52 more
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,205Gear list
Like?

I have the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS HSM and find its autofocus speed and reliabability good on my Sony A65.

The link below is to a German website that ranks the Tamron better than the Sigma for resolution, but not as good for autofocus.

http://www.chip.de/bestenlisten/Bestenliste-Tele-Zoom-Objektive-f%C3%BCr-Canon--index/index/id/1030/

(Auflosung is resolution, objektivegute lumps together vignetting, chromatic aberration, distortion and color, austtatung is features, and autofokus is autofocus)

Earlier this year Advanced Photographer Magazine tested the new Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 USD.  Their conclusion was the Tamron was a big improvement over the older one, and was almost as good as the Sigma/Canon/Nikon equivalents.   The test pictures from the Tamron showed some softness at full zoom.   Unfortunately I do not see that review on their websites (but I did save my print copy of the magazine.)

Be sure to read the dpreview lens review on the Sigma (Silver Award).  I find it matches my experience with this lens.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Olympus XZ-1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +18 more
VirtualMirage
Senior MemberPosts: 2,236Gear list
Like?
In reply to steelhead3, 7 months ago

steelhead3 wrote:

I find the ver1 to be really fast focusing with the 700 and 900 with 2,8 center double cross AF point. The 77 lacks this ability (and 99) and while a superior AF module does slow down a bit with 2,8 (or faster lenses).

Actually, the double cross AF on the A700 and A900 weren't all F/2.8 enhance sensors. They were, if I recall correctly, F/5.6 like the rest of the sensors.  In the middle of the double cross was a single horizontal enhanced sensor that was twice as long as the other sensors that was dubbed the F/2.8 sensor and was only activated for use when it detected a lens with a maximum aperture of F/2.8 or larger.

Of course, this was on the only cross type sensor on the A700/A900, the rest were single line F/5.6 sensors.  Anything outside the central focus point those two camera's focusing abilities degraded compared the competitors with cross type sensors.  Then you also had the inability to MFA on the A700, and the A700's for a while were known to have an inherent back-focus requiring people to send them in for adjustment or risk doing the three screw adjustment themselves.

The A77, while not having a double cross sensor, does have 11 cross types spread throughout its focus points which aids in faster, more accurate focus when using multiple focus points, improves focusing speed and accurate lock-on when using focus points outside the central focus point.

From my personal experience of owning both the A700 and A77, but not this lens, the A77 focuses faster and has a higher success rate at acquiring correct focus when used with my F/2.8 and faster lenses (11-16, 24-70, 35, 50, and 90).

-- hide signature --

Paul

VirtualMirage's gear list:VirtualMirage's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +23 more
Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,492
Like?

Hi,

since dec/2010 I've been shooting the A850 with the Sony 70-200. Last year in decembre I added the A99. All I can say is that the combination of the A99 with the 70-200 is much faster, more accurate and more positive in locking focus and keeping track on moving subjects. When shooting sports (triathlon, running, athletics) I'm using central zone on the A99 in AF-C. The first weeks I tried out AF-D but for my use it seemed to slow down focussing speed. It may be intersting in field sports with players crossing the view in different distances where the AF-C could be triggered and the AF-D is not. So I'd suggest to wait for your A99 arrive and to do some thorough testing. It''s worth to consider that neither the Tamron or the Sigma offer focus limiter on the lens which also speeds up focussing.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Mark K
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,361Gear list
Like?
In reply to Michael Fritzen, 7 months ago

Michael Fritzen wrote:

Hi,

since dec/2010 I've been shooting the A850 with the Sony 70-200. Last year in decembre I added the A99. All I can say is that the combination of the A99 with the 70-200 is much faster, more accurate and more positive in locking focus and keeping track on moving subjects. When shooting sports (triathlon, running, athletics) I'm using central zone on the A99 in AF-C. The first weeks I tried out AF-D but for my use it seemed to slow down focussing speed. It may be intersting in field sports with players crossing the view in different distances where the AF-C could be triggered and the AF-D is not. So I'd suggest to wait for your A99 arrive and to do some thorough testing. It''s worth to consider that neither the Tamron or the Sigma offer focus limiter on the lens which also speeds up focussing.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

Look carefully at the DxO charts you guys will know how good a newer lens than Sigma is optically.

I believe Tamron is very sharp but I simply does not like the look of Tamron.

About AF ..I tried to use Sigma on LA EA4 with A7 and it is fantastically fast.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Mark K's gear list:Mark K's gear list
Nikon D800 Canon EOS 5D Mark III NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R +52 more
garykohs
Like?
Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences.
In reply to Mark K, 7 months ago

I'm looking forward to getting my a99 in a few days and trying it out with my G1 lens. I'll let you know what I think. Then I'll decide if I want to try the new generation Sigma or the Tamron.

As I've said, my concern is focus speed. I also shoot Canon - with a 1d4 - and the Canon 70-200L (also the G1 version) is much faster focusing than the Sony G1 lens. No doubt about it. However it's just not as sharp as the Sony G1 lens, wide open or otherwise.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks folks!

ecsh1
Regular MemberPosts: 363Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences.

I have one. Very sharp using the OSS in the A99, not so much the OS in the lens. But, you can turn the lens off, which is what i did. Very sharp so far.

I had two copies of the Sony version, and they both were softer than this lens.

ecsh1's gear list:ecsh1's gear list
Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
PhotoWW
New MemberPosts: 8Gear list
Like?
Re: Thanks, everyone, for sharing your experiences.
In reply to ecsh1, 7 months ago

I have not used the Sigma, but for comparison I have shot with both the Sony 70-200 [ver1] and the new Tamron 70-200.  I feel both copies were very good - I did go with the Tammy - I felt it was sharper at 2.8 - the focus limiter does work with it [A99] and the colours are close.  Any variation I can tweak in PP.  Just my opinion.

PhotoWW's gear list:PhotoWW's gear list
Sony SLT-A99 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A57 Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 20mm F2.8 +11 more
OpticsEngineer
Senior MemberPosts: 2,205Gear list
Like?

Popular Photography magazine reviewed the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 OS HSM.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2011/01/lens-test-sigma-70-200-f28-ex-dg-os

According to Popular Photography, the new Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 was not as good optically as the Sigma. Especially at f=200 f/2.8. (If you are not familiar with the tabular format that Popular Photography uses, it may take you a while to read that in the results.)

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2013/02/lens-test-tamron-70-200mm-f28-di-vc-usd

PopPhoto mentions that only the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 remains sharp all the way out to 200 mm.

PopPhoto does point out that the Tamron lens based stabilization is more effective than the Sigma version. I am not sure how relevant that is for Sony users though. I think Tamron left that off the Sony version.

The popular photography article also says that the older Tamron version is sharper at 70-200 f/2.8 than the new one at f=200 f/2.8.   But I have the older one and can't recommend it. The AF hunted too much on my A65, sometimes grinding noisily all the way from near to far focus, back to near on and on. (quiet on short AF movements though) I had real concerns with my wife being unhappy with me coming back after a play my kids were in and having a lot of fuzzy photos. So I got the Sigma and have been very happy with it.

OpticsEngineer's gear list:OpticsEngineer's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX300 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX20V Olympus XZ-1 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +18 more
Michael Fritzen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,492
Like?

Mark K wrote:

Look carefully at the DxO charts you guys will know how good a newer lens than Sigma is optically.

I believe Tamron is very sharp but I simply does not like the look of Tamron.

About AF ..I tried to use Sigma on LA EA4 with A7 and it is fantastically fast.

-- hide signature --

Mark K

Hi,

no doubt you have a point here. Then again I prefer getting the shot in first place and then perhaps nitpicking about the sharpness or the lack of it. And when it comes to AF performance, considering both speed and accuracy the Sony on the A99, adequately using its limiter and eventually the AF-D feature, still tops the Tamron and Sigma offers from my POV. Before the Sony I had the Tokina ATX 2,8/80-200 and later the Sigma HSM, both nice sharp lenses. But when it comes to AF they had more misses than the Sony and especially when they started to AF into the wrong direction it took a felt eternity to detect this and get back on the track.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Michael Fritzen

brian14478
Senior MemberPosts: 3,488
Like?

Mark K wrote:

garykohs wrote:

Thoughts are welcome.

I also had the first generation but I gave it to my cousin.

Guess what?... I just found out we are distant cousins* hahahaha-brian

lhkjacky
Regular MemberPosts: 192Gear list
Like?

garykohs wrote:

How is it for AF speed?

Tamron SP 70-200mm F2.8 Di USD Focus Speed Test on SONY a77:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fp9ppBX2Mk

lhkjacky's gear list:lhkjacky's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads