70D: Wireless transfer images to computer

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Timzee
Contributing MemberPosts: 848
Like?
70D: Wireless transfer images to computer
10 months ago

TONS of articles and videos out there explaining how to connect the 70D wirelessly to phones & tablets, but I can only find passing mention of how to transfer images to a PC (Windows 7) wirelessly. I'd appreciate a very brief overview of the process if this something you've done successfully?

Also, are there any limitations (other than video) of the size of files, such as full res RAW files?

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
Re: 70D: Wireless transfer images to computer
In reply to Timzee, 10 months ago

Timzee wrote:

TONS of articles and videos out there explaining how to connect the 70D wirelessly to phones & tablets, but I can only find passing mention of how to transfer images to a PC (Windows 7) wirelessly. I'd appreciate a very brief overview of the process if this something you've done successfully?

Also, are there any limitations (other than video) of the size of files, such as full res RAW files?

First connect camera to computer using the USB this allows the needed drivers to be installed,then look in control panel at devices,if the camera is now found great if not try adding a new device. Camera has to be in your devices to use the 70Ds Wi-Fi. Then in cameras Wi-Fi program give the camera a nick name.

Now the real fun starts getting the camera to connect with the computer. Using my Canon G16 the Wi-Fi was very simple,but so far getting my camera connected to computer has not happened. IMHO Canon has not done a good job with the 70Ds Wi-Fi software.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
erikkross
New MemberPosts: 2Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timzee, 10 months ago

It is fairly complicated to setup the first time. Once it is setup it is pretty easy to use though. This document helps quite a bit: http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/WFT_EOS_Utility_OSX.pdf

You need to have the EOS Utility with WFT Pairing software installed on your computer.

The thing that confused me was that I needed to create a brand new WiFi setting on the camera in order to do the WiFi download, even though I had already connected the camera to my WiFi network for my smartphone. You have to create a new connection using the "Remote Control (EOS Utility)" option in the WiFi menu. Menu > WiFi function > Remote Control (EOS Utility).

erikkross's gear list:erikkross's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 761
Like?
In reply to erikkross, 10 months ago

erikkross wrote:

It is fairly complicated to setup the first time. Once it is setup it is pretty easy to use though. This document helps quite a bit: http://learn.usa.canon.com/app/pdfs/quickguides/WFT_EOS_Utility_OSX.pdf

You need to have the EOS Utility with WFT Pairing software installed on your computer.

The thing that confused me was that I needed to create a brand new WiFi setting on the camera in order to do the WiFi download, even though I had already connected the camera to my WiFi network for my smartphone. You have to create a new connection using the "Remote Control (EOS Utility)" option in the WiFi menu. Menu > WiFi function > Remote Control (EOS Utility).

After downloading that Canon EOS Utility and reading through the setup instructions, all I can say is thank god I can use the USB on my Canon 70D to transfer picture and video files. Thanks Canon but NO Thanks....

pdqgp
Forum ProPosts: 10,091Gear list
Like?
In reply to Timzee, 4 months ago

Timzee wrote:

I set this up today.   Nice for when I'm in the house and not taking hundreds of shots.

-- hide signature --

"If you're not having fun at whatever it is you're doing, you're doing it wrong"

pdqgp's gear list:pdqgp's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Konica KD-400 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F717 +14 more
Barry Krueger
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
In reply to Timzee, 4 months ago

I'm all Mac, so can't help you with Windows connectivity.. but just a word

on the 70D's transmit/receive range:  I have a 6D and 70D and I've found that to

insure a good wireless connection, my 70D has to be within 10 - 15 feet of my wireless router (latest Apple Time Capsule).

Not so with the 6D.  It connects fine at double the distance - the other end of the house.  I thought my 70D was faulty until I walked near the room with the router and it took off like a banshee.

FWIW.

Krueger

-- hide signature --

Barry K. Krueger, Sr.
Canon 6D, 70D, 5Dmkii
24-70mm f2.8L IS II, 50mm 1.2L, 24-105mm f4.0L,
70-300mm 4-5.6L USM IS, Tokina SD 11-16mm f2.8 (IF) DX II

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads