What m4/3 really needs: speed.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
dmanthree
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,425Gear list
Like?
What m4/3 really needs: speed.
8 months ago

I've been enjoying my Panny GH3, but one aspect of it continues to frustrate: the lack of speed. Not just AF (continuous) speed, but response time. The delay from shutter press to firing is too long, and makes sports shooting a real challenge. What would it take, besides the mythical global shutter, to really increase the response time of m3/4 and bring it in line with something like the Canon 7D?

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree's gear list:dmanthree's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,889Gear list
Like?
Re: What m4/3 really needs: speed.
In reply to dmanthree, 8 months ago

I think there might be something wrong with your GH3.

Tbh even if there was high levels of shutter lag, when it comes to shooting sport if you can't anticipate what's about to happen then what camera your using is the least of your worries. Just get used to pushing the shutter a split second earlier.

I managed to capture this just fine with my GH2.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 3,577
Like?
In reply to Dheorl, 8 months ago

He doesn't want a work around, he wants better technology. And your work around is great for a baseball pitch that you know is coming, just common sense, not so great at catching an instant smile from my wiggly 2 year old.

ApertureAcolyte
Contributing MemberPosts: 870Gear list
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

I've been enjoying my Panny GH3, but one aspect of it continues to frustrate: the lack of speed. Not just AF (continuous) speed, but response time. The delay from shutter press to firing is too long, and makes sports shooting a real challenge. What would it take, besides the mythical global shutter, to really increase the response time of m3/4 and bring it in line with something like the Canon 7D?

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

I don't see what it has to do with m43...

I can multi tap fire off about 3 fps @1/20 on my EM-5, S-AF refocusing on multiple targets in Large JPG+RAW ,even with its limited buffer. Can push up to 4fps if I turn off preview and faster shutter speed.

m4/3 already has faster burst and faster S-AF than APS-C.

If I "NEED" tracking focus in 9fps burst, there's always the focus ring with the distance scale

ApertureAcolyte's gear list:ApertureAcolyte's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +1 more
Dheorl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,889Gear list
Like?
In reply to Cane, 8 months ago

Cane wrote:

He doesn't want a work around, he wants better technology. And your work around is great for a baseball pitch that you know is coming, just common sense, not so great at catching an instant smile from my wiggly 2 year old.

He mentioned sports. As my example shows its a perfectly workable technique with sports in general, not just family static sports such as baseball.

As for a smile from your two year old, if it lasts long enough for you to see it it lasts long enough for a modern m43 camera to capture. According to one test site that I randomly pulled from Google a pre focused shot on an EM5 has a shutter lag of 0.056 seconds (actually marginally faster than the canon 7d that the OP mentioned). Just how fast is your kid?

MarcusBrody
Regular MemberPosts: 314Gear list
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

What lens are you using? What focus mode? if you're requiring focus lock before firing the shutter, this can have a big effect on speed.

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,094Gear list
Like?
Re: What DMANTHREE really needs: speed.

dmanthree wrote:

Time and money for affordable technology to be developed and offered.

But of course, by then the 7D successor will have advanced further too.

Get the 7D.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,094Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarcusBrody, 8 months ago

MarcusBrody wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

What lens are you using? What focus mode? if you're requiring focus lock before firing the shutter, this can have a big effect on speed.

If it were a matter of being able to compensate/adapt, this topic wouldn't have been started in the first place.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
drj3
Senior MemberPosts: 1,123Gear list
Like?

Dheorl wrote:

Cane wrote:

He mentioned sports. As my example shows its a perfectly workable technique with sports in general, not just family static sports such as baseball.

As for a smile from your two year old, if it lasts long enough for you to see it it lasts long enough for a modern m43 camera to capture. According to one test site that I randomly pulled from Google a pre focused shot on an EM5 has a shutter lag of 0.056 seconds (actually marginally faster than the canon 7d that the OP mentioned). Just how fast is your kid?

If you set the Olympus E-M1 Shutter Release time to Short, then the Pre-focused Release Lag-time = 0.047 second.  There are good reasons to choose the Canon 7D for sports, but I am not sure the time required for shutter release is the most important one.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +5 more
Deleted010614
Regular MemberPosts: 248
Like?
Re: What DMANTHREE really needs: speed.
In reply to Bob Tullis, 8 months ago

I would probably take a 7d for sports but for the other 95% of my work I'm taking my EM1. If you shoot predominately sports then maybe m4/3 isn't for you. There are times when I want my 5D MkII but those are in the minority these days as well. NO camera or system is perfect, its a "right tool for the job" sort of thing.

-- hide signature --

GIGO

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,542Gear list
Like?

My GH2 has somewhere in menu option called "half press release" Switching this option ON allows you to have camera fired instantly, without any beep and green disk confirmation. It is as responsive as old fashion film cameras.

I think your GH3 has the same option.

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,496Gear list
Like?

dmanthree wrote:

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

M43 has never been the top choice for action or speed, although the top models have been improved greatly.  It has limitations in C-AF, in fast and long lenses, and low light action shooting.  DSLRs are your best cameras for that.  M43 is about better balance in the usual requirements, size, weight, IQ, performance, selection, etc.  The E-M1 is your best bet for a more sportive M43 camera with its PDAF and some more lenses (43 lenses) if you have a need for the most speed in M43, but no miracles.

What M43 needs is not more performance speed.  It is not competing with DSLRs in sports/action shooting.  It does not even bother with very long lenses.

axlotl
Contributing MemberPosts: 684
Like?
Re: What delay ?

Dmanthree: You write ..."the delay from shutter press to firing is too long..." I have been using the GH3 for months now and find it very responsive, such that the delay from pressing the shutter button to the shutter activating is virtually nil. What are your camera settings ? Most GH3 users report it is a very fast, responsive camera.  There is effectively no delay, or at least none that most users will notice.

The main factor which makes the camera less suitable than, say a Canon EOS 7D for follow focus on moving subjects is the EVF blackout time after each frame.  If Panasonic can reduce this significantly  they will be in the sport/action photography business.

The other bit of technology which could improve Panasonic's follow focus capability is the AF sensor readout frequency. At present this is 256x per second. If this were increased to 512x per second that would help.

Despite it's limitations plenty of users do sport/action with the GH3 anyway and get a percentage of good frames.

Chez Wimpy
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,767Gear list
Like?
GH3 @ 79ms vs 7D @ 59ms
In reply to axlotl, 8 months ago

axlotl wrote:

Dmanthree: You write ..."the delay from shutter press to firing is too long..." I have been using the GH3 for months now and find it very responsive, such that the delay from pressing the shutter button to the shutter activating is virtually nil.

The GH3 is very close to the best DSLRs, the EM5 is faster still (with the high refresh rate mode on).

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52280442

I agree, a shutter lag is something I have *never* noticed with m43 vs DSLRs.  I am pretty sure my EM5 is the fastest I have used... but I keep mine on anti-shock most of the time

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Sigma DP1 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +23 more
Jun2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,213Gear list
Like?

Try machine-gun style shooting.

Jun2's gear list:Jun2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +6 more
jeffpix
Regular MemberPosts: 136Gear list
Like?

Howdy,

I guess that the term "speed" can mean a variety of different things. I am very happy with the response time, focus speed, shot-to-shot time, etc. of my OM-D E-M5. Here are a few pix to show an example of what you can do with 9 fps.

The first sequence consists of four pictures. I have a similar set of pictures in my gallery that capture the trajectory 6 times between the time that the disks emerge to their entering the target slots in the walls. I have included just 2 out of 6 of these shots here to illustrate.

(These are from a FIRST Robotics competition, by the way, which is for high school students.)

The disks being shot by these robots were moving very fast. They come ripping out of shooting mechanisms that in some cases are spinning as fast as 7500 rpm.

Best regards,

Jeff

Shot 1: look for two little white disks coming from the robots

Shot 2

Shot 3

Shot 4

Another sequence (2 of 6 shots in my gallery):

Shot 4

Shot 6: right on target (disk enters a slot)

jeffpix's gear list:jeffpix's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +1 more
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,006
Like?

One of the traditional criticisms of electronic viewfinders (vs. optical viewfinders) is that they have too long a lag time between the time the subject moves and the time you see it in the viewfinder.   The shutter release can be instantaneous, but it doesn't do you much good if you lose a half-second or so before you even see the image in the viewfinder.

So when I received my GH3 last week one of the things I was interested in testing was the viewfinder lag.   I set up the camera to point to my TV set and then used a second camera (a Sony RX100M2) to record 1080p60 footage of the electronic viewfinder as well as the rear LCD screen.   By counting the number of frames between a scene change on the TV and seeing the same change in the EVF or LCD screen, you can get a pretty decent idea of what the lag time is.

After several trials I came up with an average of around 3.5 frames for the electronic viewfinder - that corresponds to a lag time of about 60ms (0.06 seconds).    The LCD screen was even faster at 2 frames or less, for a lag time of about 33ms (0.033 seconds).  Both of those are faster than the typical human reaction time of 1/10th of a second.

I consider that kind of performance to be excellent, and I also learned that for the very fastest reaction time with the GH3 it's better to use the LCD panel than to use the electronic viewfinder.

dmanthree
Like?

Show me a picture of a running back coming straight at you at a high school football game at night. Fast action, low light, impossible for any m4/3 to follow focus. I realize that my cam can be used for sports, but there are many, many situations where it just won't cut it.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS4 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 +7 more
dmanthree
Like?
In reply to ApertureAcolyte, 8 months ago

ApertureAcolyte wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

I don't see what it has to do with m43...

I can multi tap fire off about 3 fps @1/20 on my EM-5, S-AF refocusing on multiple targets in Large JPG+RAW ,even with its limited buffer. Can push up to 4fps if I turn off preview and faster shutter speed.

m4/3 already has faster burst and faster S-AF than APS-C.

If I "NEED" tracking focus in 9fps burst, there's always the focus ring with the distance scale

Exactly. Focus tracking on any m4/3 camera doesn't cut it.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

dmanthree
Like?
In reply to MarcusBrody, 8 months ago

MarcusBrody wrote:

dmanthree wrote:

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

I'm not requiring focus lock, but I really do want the photos to be in focus. And using focus tracking/continuous AF it just doesn't cut it in many situations, like a running back coming at you.

-- hide signature --

No Signature.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads