Gary Friedman and the RX10

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions
Digital Nigel
Senior MemberPosts: 2,318Gear list
Like?
Gary Friedman and the RX10
Dec 9, 2013

Many RX100 users here (like me) rate Gary Friedman's user guide, which is so much better than Sony's weak documents. Based on the enthusiasm for the RX10, you may have assumed that his RX10 e-book would be just around the corner, but this is what he has to say in http://friedmanarchives.blogspot.co.uk/2013/12/untangling-fill-flash.html

"Will I be writing a book on the new Sony RX-10? Although the camera appears to be technically outstanding, due to relatively low interest I'm not planning on it. (But if I get enough requests I can change my mind in a hurry.)"

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
h2odog
Regular MemberPosts: 457Gear list
Like?
Re: Gary Friedman and the RX10
In reply to Digital Nigel, Dec 9, 2013

Actually prefer Alexander S. White to Gary Friedman. See if White will be coming out with a guide to the RX10.

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,369Gear list
Like?
Would certainly agree with that.
In reply to h2odog, Dec 10, 2013

Friedman's books are really lightweight, usually a generation behind. When the Sony dSLTs came out his books were basically copy and pastes of his books about the KM cameras, almost ignoring the video and giving some, what many people considered, wrong advice. He finally came around a little, but he has trouble with having to spend the time to learn new technology. He always writes for the previous generation of cameras.

The RX10 is a different animal - even its Bionz engine is tweaked differently than it is in the other RX cameras, and using a 1" sensor for serious work is a lot different (in video and stills) than using the larger sensor cameras that Friedman has been comfortable with. It's a video-centric camera designed for journalists, not grandmothers. He would have to include a chapter, for instance, on the clean HDMI readout to a recorder such as the Ninja, and another about the new codecs in the camera and the challenges they have presented to Sony. These are things that are probably beyond him. I don't think that anyone can measure the amount of interest in the camera at this point, so I think that Friedman has probably just made the judgement that he doesn't want to make the effort to learn about it.

White often really gets into the new technology and features of cameras, and his discussion of the codecs of video are often very good, and I especially like how he spends pages on how, for example, when you are not in movie mode, but still record video, how the settings in whatever still mode you are in affect your video recording, such as ISO changes. I've always had the feeling that White just knows more about the camera about which he is writing, spends a lot more time researching it, and doesn't want to leave any detail unaddressed. Friedman, on the other hand, has basically been writing the same book for a decade.

For the people who are attracted by the RX-10, I think a new book by White would be more substantial.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
dan.carter
Regular MemberPosts: 488Gear list
Like?
In reply to Digital Nigel, Dec 11, 2013

Digital Nigel wrote:

"Will I be writing a book on the new Sony RX-10? Although the camera appears to be technically outstanding, due to relatively low interest I'm not planning on it. (But if I get enough requests I can change my mind in a hurry.)"

Low interest??

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,369Gear list
Like?
Yeah, that was a bit lame.
In reply to dan.carter, Dec 11, 2013

The camera has generated a lot of interest; even Luminous Landscape picked one up as soon as they could get one and wrote an article on it. It's a different kind of camera, video-centric, and aimed at a different audience, so Friedman may not want to spend the time to learn it, as I mentioned in my earlier post.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Lunal
Junior MemberPosts: 40Gear list
Like?
Re: Would certainly agree with that.
In reply to Corkcampbell, Dec 16, 2013

Thanks for the heads-up.

While waiting for a nice book on the RX10 I bought the iBooks version by White of the RX100II just to get a grasp on some of the menu items.

I hope for a book on the RX10 soon.

-- hide signature --

Apple & RX10

Lunal's gear list:Lunal's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Apple iPhone 5 Apple iPad 3G +WiFi
Jerry Stevens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406
Like?
Agree on the lame remark about "low interest"
In reply to Corkcampbell, Dec 16, 2013

Can he not even do a simple thread count? Much less, the vast majority of extremely positive reviews already posted. Must already be in his winter hibernation mode.

-- hide signature --

Jerry (Gerald L. Stevens)

DavieK
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
Re: Agree on the lame remark about "low interest"
In reply to Jerry Stevens, Dec 17, 2013

Gary has had other things to deal with in the last few months, which make comments about hibernation mode etc rather unkind. There's only one of him, and he has had to recruit a co-writer to keep up with the sheer pace of Sony launches not to mention the other brands he's trying to cover. He concentrated on one audience - DSLR - and a sector of that - Sony - which allowed a fair balance of time for each successive launch. We now have the result of three Sony divisions all creating products for one market. He's not hibernating, he's off with A7 and A7R and all I can say is good luck - it'll be a month more before I even try to finish an A7R review of 2500 words or so, let alone a guide book.

You're right in assuming that the still photography buyer is his main audience. I find the RX10 sufficiently good to have sold an A99 to get it (or, putting that differently, the RX10 made it possible for me to sell the A99, as it has the video functions I needed which were only otherwise available in the A99).

David

Grady Causey
New MemberPosts: 11Gear list
Like?
In reply to DavieK, Dec 17, 2013

I agree with David.  Gary is one of the hardest working and kind hearted people in the industry.  He has demonstrated on numerous occasions his sincere interest in assisting anyone interested in photography.  He not only produces some of the best e-books, but does focused photo workshops and practical travel workshops in a number of other countries.  The man is very busy.  His time is valuable and it seems insensitive to personally degrade the gentleman.  I'm sure when he has a good sense of what the market holds for the RX-10, he will make an appropriate decision.

Grady

Grady Causey's gear list:Grady Causey's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Jerry Stevens
Senior MemberPosts: 2,406
Like?
In reply to Grady Causey, Dec 17, 2013

You completely misread my remark. I said nothing disparaging about the man's character nor his  work nor his past contributions. He is a fine fellow, no doubt. He is hard working, no doubt. He has made contributions, no doubt. He is busy, no doubt. I never said anything close to denying any of these points.

None of these observations, however, are to the point. They do not even begin to justify a completely out of touch comment like "low interest" on a camera that has scores of websites buzzing with interest and plenty of reviews already published that are fully impressed this camera has carved out an interesting new niche, which alone is a significant achievement in a crowed market. My hibernation comparison had no ill intent at all. That was the best analogy I could think of for such a comment apparently just not really much aware of the immediate Internet context. Characterizing the RX10 as of "low interest" at this point in time is just a lame remark altogether, like waking up from a long nap and groggy about the immediate environment.

-- hide signature --

Jerry (Gerald L. Stevens)

pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,584Gear list
Like?
In reply to DavieK, Dec 17, 2013

DavieK wrote:

You're right in assuming that the still photography buyer is his main audience. I find the RX10 sufficiently good to have sold an A99 to get it (or, putting that differently, the RX10 made it possible for me to sell the A99, as it has the video functions I needed which were only otherwise available in the A99).

Hi David

Why the A7R can not fulfill your needs for video and replace the A99? I know the RX10 is a video friendly camera...

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
PC Wheeler
Forum ProPosts: 13,995Gear list
Like?
In reply to dan.carter, Dec 18, 2013

dan.carter wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Low interest??

Perhaps he feels that the RX10 price will limit sales. Lots of folks interested, but only those who buy will likely buy a book.

-- hide signature --

Phil

PC Wheeler's gear list:PC Wheeler's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot G15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
Digital Nigel
Like?
Re: Gary Friedman is nRX10
In reply to Digital Nigel, 11 months ago

It seems that Gary has changed his mind, and is now working on an RX10 book. From his latest newsletter:

"RX-10 Ebook

Whenever a new camera comes out, I track all the requests I get to write a book about it. When the RX-100 came out, for example, I had no intention of writing about it. But literally hundreds of requests for a book on it made me change my mind (and now it's my favorite everyday camera!) When the RX-1 came out, even though the camera sold very well, I I received only about five requests. I concluded that the demographic for that camera already knew how to figure it out.

So in last month's blog I mentioned that I wasn't planning on writing an ebook for the RX-10 due to "low interest". In this case "Low Interest" was defined as "To date I received only three email requests to write a book". Since then I've received a lot of enthusiastic emails, so many in fact that I've now added the RX-10 to the list of ebooks slated for release in the 2nd quarter of 2014 (the other books being the Olympus OM-D E-M1 being written by Mike Hendren, Fujifilm X100s being written by Tony Phillips, and the A7 / A7r being written by yours truly. Drop me a line at Gary at Friedman Archives dot com if you'd like to be on the notification list for any of these cameras."

Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +7 more
jimkh
Regular MemberPosts: 142Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jerry Stevens, 11 months ago

Gary's remark about "low interest" for the R10 referred to his mail, not an overall comment on the entire photo community. And as a matter of fact, his mail did increase and in an e-mail received today he says he will work on a R10 book.

-- hide signature --

Jim

jimkh's gear list:jimkh's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a6000 +9 more
Digital Nigel
Like?
It's coming out next quarter
In reply to jimkh, 11 months ago

Yes, as I quoted in my post, he says it'll be published in Q2.

aroundomaha
Senior MemberPosts: 2,271Gear list
Like?
Re: Yeah, that was a bit lame.
In reply to Corkcampbell, 11 months ago

Corkcampbell wrote:

The camera has generated a lot of interest; even Luminous Landscape picked one up as soon as they could get one and wrote an article on it. It's a different kind of camera, video-centric, and aimed at a different audience, so Friedman may not want to spend the time to learn it, as I mentioned in my earlier post.

Absolutely dead on. The RX10 has captured my attention as a Nikon and M43 shooter when none of their other line up has. The difference maker in this is a combination of things; the ND filter, 60P video, the constant 2.8. To me this is an exciting home run by Sony.

-- hide signature --

Aroundomaha
http://f64m.com

aroundomaha's gear list:aroundomaha's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads