Guns are like an x-ray machine

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Bill Randall
Forum ProPosts: 14,575Gear list
Like?
Guns are like an x-ray machine
8 months ago

An x-ray machine is a tool for determining if an illness is present. Some might propose one way to reduce the number of cancer cases is to eliminate the x-ray machine.

Guns may also be considered tools, although not designed for this purpose, they help detect the illness within our society. Now politicians want to eliminate guns rather than fix the illness.

We Americans have become less responsible and less respectful - that is the illness.

-- hide signature --

I live in the USA, a mega banana republic.

Bill Randall's gear list:Bill Randall's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S602 Zoom Nikon D200 Nikon D5200
Calexico78
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?
Re: Guns are like an x-ray machine
In reply to Bill Randall, 8 months ago

I'm so happy I live the in the UK. "god" save the Queen. Do you ever stop watching FOX news over there?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Bill Randall
Like?
In reply to Calexico78, 8 months ago

Calexico78 wrote:

I'm so happy I live the in the UK. "god" save the Queen. Do you ever stop watching FOX news over there?

Do you ever stop watching the Cartoon Network?

-- hide signature --

Calexico78
Junior MemberPosts: 44
Like?

Bill Randall wrote:

Calexico78 wrote:

Do you ever stop watching the Cartoon Network?

-- hide signature --

Nice one. 1:1

Then again: you misspelt BBC.

Walking Dead
Senior MemberPosts: 6,130Gear list
Like?
In reply to Calexico78, 8 months ago

Calexico78 wrote:

You're have to excuse Bill. He's simple-minded, and abstract issues really aren't his strong suit.

-- hide signature --

Defender of Truth, Justice, and the American Way

Walking Dead's gear list:Walking Dead's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
mamallama
Forum ProPosts: 30,741Gear list
Like?
Guns are not like an x-ray machine

Bill Randall wrote:

An x-ray machine is a tool for determining if an illness is present. Some might propose one way to reduce the number of cancer cases is to eliminate the x-ray machine.

Guns may also be considered tools, although not designed for this purpose, they help detect the illness within our society. Now politicians want to eliminate guns rather than fix the illness.

Your analogy is faulty.

Bill Randall
Like?
Re: Guns are not like an x-ray machine
In reply to mamallama, 8 months ago

mamallama wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

Guns may also be considered tools, although not designed for this purpose, they help detect the illness within our society. Now politicians want to eliminate guns rather than fix the illness.

Your analogy is faulty.

How am I suppose to respond to that? Should we have a conversation such as:

No it isn't.

Yes it is.

No it isn't.

Yes it is.

Boring and unproductive.

unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?

Bill Randall wrote:

We Americans have become less responsible and less respectful - that is the illness.

And the solution is to clean up the music we listen too.  Clean up the shows we watch, and clean up the violence in video games that teaches our children that killing is a game.

You see, our society has accepted the lack of dignity, respect and civility that comes with the above three items I mentioned.  Our children reflect no character, or responsibility for their own actions, and a complete and total lack of respect for others in today world.   They commit crimes and then blame it on the witnesses for telling on them.  They run in gangs, or safe groups.  They were their clothes inappropriately, and they use language that is not only unacceptable in any form of society, but has now become common place.

Calling a woman a "bitch" is normal.  The F word is almost as common as the word "the".  Respect for teachers is basically non-existent in schools, and respect for others property is laughable.

Personally, as I have stated above, I believe it has a lot to do with what they watch, listen too, and see.  Yet our laws protect these youngsters like they are untouchable.  When I was in school, the teachers could punish you, and parents were NOT afraid to discipline their children.  Today, well, most homes have only one parent anyway, and it is usually the Mother who has to work all day and can't even control her children.

You see strong family values, and you see great kids.  You see broken homes with one, or no parents and you see children that live the life of crime.  Actually pretty easy to see and understand.  But the question is, WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT?   Well, I think it starts with the Music industry, and the Motion Picture industry.  Couple that with laws to stop the production of violent games and we may get somewhere.

Assault weapons MUST be banned.  That is a given, but no political leader is going to take on that challenge.  They know it is the end of their career if they try.  The American people must take on that responsibility via the vote.   I am NOT, repeat NOT for banning handguns, or rifles, but I am for eliminating large capacity magazines.   I am also for MUCH tougher laws and penalties to deal with those who do not understand that the laws are there for a reason.  Spend the money to build more jails and put these people behind bars.  The sooner they are out of society, the sooner more people will learn that crime does not pay.

OK, I am done.  Sorry.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --

Slider "44"

Bill Randall
Like?
In reply to Slider44, 8 months ago

Slider44 wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

And the solution is to clean up the music we listen too. Clean up the shows we watch, and clean up the violence in video games that teaches our children that killing is a game.

You see, our society has accepted the lack of dignity, respect and civility that comes with the above three items I mentioned. Our children reflect no character, or responsibility for their own actions, and a complete and total lack of respect for others in today world. They commit crimes and then blame it on the witnesses for telling on them. They run in gangs, or safe groups. They were their clothes inappropriately, and they use language that is not only unacceptable in any form of society, but has now become common place.

Calling a woman a "bitch" is normal. The F word is almost as common as the word "the". Respect for teachers is basically non-existent in schools, and respect for others property is laughable.

Personally, as I have stated above, I believe it has a lot to do with what they watch, listen too, and see. Yet our laws protect these youngsters like they are untouchable. When I was in school, the teachers could punish you, and parents were NOT afraid to discipline their children. Today, well, most homes have only one parent anyway, and it is usually the Mother who has to work all day and can't even control her children.

You see strong family values, and you see great kids. You see broken homes with one, or no parents and you see children that live the life of crime. Actually pretty easy to see and understand. But the question is, WHAT CAN BE DONE ABOUT IT? Well, I think it starts with the Music industry, and the Motion Picture industry. Couple that with laws to stop the production of violent games and we may get somewhere.

Assault weapons MUST be banned. That is a given, but no political leader is going to take on that challenge. They know it is the end of their career if they try. The American people must take on that responsibility via the vote. I am NOT, repeat NOT for banning handguns, or rifles, but I am for eliminating large capacity magazines. I am also for MUCH tougher laws and penalties to deal with those who do not understand that the laws are there for a reason. Spend the money to build more jails and put these people behind bars. The sooner they are out of society, the sooner more people will learn that crime does not pay.

OK, I am done. Sorry.

You raise some valid points but overlook the fact that in my day parents monitored what their children were watching and listening to. Today many parents haven't a clue what their children are doing. Possibly many children are so poorly behaved with an attitude problem the parents a just glad the kids stay away from them.

-- hide signature --

tkbslc
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,047Gear list
Like?

Bill Randall wrote:

I see where you are trying to go with this, but it's not working.   We don't have thousands of cancer deaths each year caused by intentional misuse of x-ray machines. Cancer happens whether you diagnose it or not, but people don't get shot if you don't use a gun.

X-ray machines were not created for the primary purpose of giving cancer to people.  Handguns and assault weapons were designed primarily to efficiently kill people.

I agree.  But the illness has no cure.  So how do we lessen the impact of crazies?  One theory is that preventing access to efficient killing machines would be wise.

TonyC5D
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054Gear list
Like?
Re: Guns are not like an x-ray machine
In reply to mamallama, 8 months ago

mamallama wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

Your analogy is faulty.

Absolutely right, try a concealed carry with an x-ray machine!

-- hide signature --

A pint! That's an armful!

TonyC5D's gear list:TonyC5D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
tkbslc
Like?

Bill Randall wrote:

You raise some valid points but overlook the fact that in my day parents monitored what their children were watching and listening to. Today many parents haven't a clue what their children are doing. Possibly many children are so poorly behaved with an attitude problem the parents a just glad the kids stay away from them.

I'd argue the opposite.   20+ Years ago, kids were free to roam and play, largely unsupervised.   Now parents won't let their kids out of their sight for 10 minutes or let them make a decision for themselves.   Being coddled and controlled doesn't help people turn into responsible adults.

TonyC5D
Senior MemberPosts: 2,054Gear list
Like?
In reply to tkbslc, 8 months ago

tkbslc wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

You raise some valid points but overlook the fact that in my day parents monitored what their children were watching and listening to. Today many parents haven't a clue what their children are doing. Possibly many children are so poorly behaved with an attitude problem the parents a just glad the kids stay away from them.

I'd argue the opposite. 20+ Years ago, kids were free to roam and play, largely unsupervised. Now parents won't let their kids out of their sight for 10 minutes or let them make a decision for themselves. Being coddled and controlled doesn't help people turn into responsible adults.

I get your point but, instead of being allowed out and developing social skills with their peers, nowadays they are confined unsupervised in the home, with no social contact and watching God only knows what.

-- hide signature --

A pint! That's an armful!

TonyC5D's gear list:TonyC5D's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 19mm F2.8 EX DN +2 more
Morris Sullivan
Senior MemberPosts: 4,201
Like?

tkbslc wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

I'd argue the opposite. 20+ Years ago, kids were free to roam and play, largely unsupervised. Now parents won't let their kids out of their sight for 10 minutes or let them make a decision for themselves. Being coddled and controlled doesn't help people turn into responsible adults.

People think just because little Johnny is upstairs on his computer, he doesn't need to be supervised. He probably needs more supervision inside than outside.

KEVZPHOTOS
Forum ProPosts: 17,352
Like?

tkbslc wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

I see where you are trying to go with this, but it's not working. We don't have thousands of cancer deaths each year caused by intentional misuse of x-ray machines. Cancer happens whether you diagnose it or not, but people don't get shot if you don't use a gun.

X-ray machines were not created for the primary purpose of giving cancer to people. Handguns and assault weapons were designed primarily to efficiently kill people.

I agree. But the illness has no cure. So how do we lessen the impact of crazies? One theory is that preventing access to efficient killing machines would be wise.

Yep, it's just "common sense" really isn't it.

One prohibits EVERYONE in society from having a dangerous killing machine (that isn't absolutely necessary to have in daily life)...so that the "emotionally unstable or criminal element" within that society do not get to use them.

That would include things like:

guns, grenades, missiles, tanks, explosives, lethal toxic chemicals, radioactive materials, and so on. Things that regular citizens "do not need" in their daily lives.

Yes, everyone pays THAT price to keep the killings down to a minimum.

However, it's one...absolutely well worth paying.

It's MUCH BETTER to stop EVERYONE from having guns....than to have them, and then run the risk of psychologically unstable or whomever getting their hands on them.

That's the "collective" price that we must pay to have a safer (and much nicer) society.

It's just common-sense.

KEV

-- hide signature --

"No problem can be solved at the level of consciousness which created it" - Albert Einstein

tkbslc
Like?
In reply to Morris Sullivan, 8 months ago

Morris Sullivan wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

People think just because little Johnny is upstairs on his computer, he doesn't need to be supervised. He probably needs more supervision inside than outside.

But what about the kidnappers on every corner!!??

The media has got parents scared to death, even though the odds of something like that are as low as ever.

Morris Sullivan
Senior MemberPosts: 4,201
Like?

tkbslc wrote:

Morris Sullivan wrote:

tkbslc wrote:

Bill Randall wrote:

But what about the kidnappers on every corner!!??

The media has got parents scared to death, even though the odds of something like that are as low as ever.

Very true. It's sad really. The fear may have saved a few lives, but at what cost to the millions of children who never would have been harmed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads