-- hide signature --

SteveG
'When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.'
— Found in a Chinese Fortune Cookie
www.stephenmichaelgarey.com

veroman's gear list:veroman's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus PEN E-P5
Olympus E-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Roger Engelken
Senior MemberPosts: 2,813Gear list
Like?
Re: Parting with my E-1 and 14-54 Mark I
In reply to veroman, 8 months ago

veroman wrote:

I may live to regret this:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/52682376

-- hide signature --

SteveG

This one is tempting. Satan is lurking the forum yet again.  

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus TG-830 iHS Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 +22 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,255Gear list
Like?
Re: Parting with my E-1 and 14-54 Mark I
In reply to Roger Engelken, 8 months ago

Roger Engelken wrote:

This one is tempting. Satan is lurking the forum yet again.

Here ... I'll make it even more tempting (actual camera and lens for sale).

Mint E-1 and 14-54 Mark 1

-- hide signature --

SteveG

Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,170Gear list
Like?
Yes, I can guarantee you right now that...

...you will regret that decision to sell it.  It may not occur right away, but it will happen, and when it does, you won't feel very good about it.  Luckily, I never sold the E-1 that I had - the original one purchased from (then) Jim Porter who used to be part owner of Arlington Camera, near Dallas, Texas.  BTW, Jim used to be prolific poster on this forum and in a way was sort of a modern-day Santa Claus also.  I remember near Christmas time, he would send out care packages to many other prolific posters on this forum - and these packages contained all kinds of goodies, brand name clothing (i.e. Olympus, etc.), photographic vests, accessories,etc.  He was just that good a guy, but eventually got fed up with some of the bickering and personal attacks that took place.  And he's never posted since - although I still get emails from him.  Ooops, I got off track with the point my posting - sorry.

But recently, as you know, I've been coming back to the E-1, realizing all of it's ancient faults - yet no matter what I do, the IQ - the look and feel to those images - has really not (IMO, of course) been drastically bettered by the latest and greatest models.  It is the one camera in my vast collection that makes me not think about MP count.  And as I've often said, I've teamed up my older Oly models (E-1, E-300, E-500, and E-330) with various 4/3 Leica Vario zooms that have OIS capabilities and thus added a superb capability to these cameras.

And as you also know, I've been crazy enough to obtain a few additional mint/new E-1's to my collection, knowing that if one dies (and since it is no longer serviced by Olympus), I can discard it if need be (provided I find a good repair facility that still will handle them), and reach for the others.

So mark my words here -  you will be very sorry you parted with the E-1 and 14-54 combo.  Even though you may not be using it now (which was often the excuse I used when selling off cameras in the past - only to later regret it), you will once again find yourself in the near future, looking on line for a mint E-1 to purchase - I guarantee it!  But it may not be the same as the one you parted with.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +27 more
veroman
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,255Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, I can guarantee you right now that...
In reply to Ben Herrmann, 8 months ago

Ben Herrmann wrote:

...... So mark my words here - you will be very sorry you parted with the E-1 and 14-54 combo. Even though you may not be using it now (which was often the excuse I used when selling off cameras in the past - only to later regret it), you will once again find yourself in the near future, looking on line for a mint E-1 to purchase - I guarantee it! But it may not be the same as the one you parted with.

I know, I know.  Indeed, I'm actually glad no one has responded yet to my sale post! Maybe it won't sell at all, which means I can keep it!    Odd thought process for someone trying to sell gear, don't you think?

Thanks for posting Ben.

-- hide signature --

SteveG

DFF
DFF
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?
Re: Yes, I can guarantee you right now that...

Hi Veroman, I am sure I will never sell my E-1 due to the good photographic moments I have enjoyed with it, I will use my new E-M1 from now on but the E-1 will remain as my back up body. Is one of the best camera designs together the 14-54 mm. This combo is a real pleasure to my síght.

Daniel.

DFF's gear list:DFF's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 +6 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,402
Like?
Got my 50-200 from Jim

not long after the Mk1 came out.

And it still works great.

SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,899Gear list
Like?
Jim Porter

I purchased my E-1 + 14-54mm from Jim nearly a decade ago when the system was only the body, grip, and two lenses. I choose it over the Minolta D7D. Great guy and great store. One person can make a business so much more and so I was pleased to purchase from him. It has been my only brand new DSLR purchase ever. I have purchased nearly all my equip. used over the years.

Back to the regularly scheduled bickering.

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
SirSeth
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,899Gear list
Like?
Re: Got my 50-200 from Jim
In reply to TrapperJohn, 8 months ago

Wish I had the same experience. My 50-200mm has fallen apart twice. It's the best lens I've ever had when it's working, but I'll have invested $600 in repairs on it in the past 3 years.

Best,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

SirSeth's gear list:SirSeth's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5 +4 more
ajwh
Contributing MemberPosts: 931Gear list
Like?
Re: Jim Porter

Ben,

Give Jim my best wishes - I bought my 11-22 from him in 2004. He arranged for it to be sent to a hotel In Florida where I was going for a conference, and also organised a Zuiko 500mm f8 from B&H.

I still have the CDs he used to produce of E1 photos.

A good guy.

-- hide signature --

Andrew

ajwh's gear list:ajwh's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-M1
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,170Gear list
Like?
yes, I'll do that...
In reply to ajwh, 8 months ago

He has me on his email distribution list (you know...we old guys forward on lots of stuff gotten off the internet), and I have him on mine also.  He's in good spirits, but he's never posted anywhere since.  He's also long given up his stake at Arlington Camera, so I don't know if he's into cameras anymore.  But yes, we converse through email like we've been long lost friends.

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 +27 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads