What should I do here? PP preference Query

Started 11 months ago | Questions
Tommygun45
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?
What should I do here? PP preference Query
11 months ago

So I rarely get to spend any time with my old roommate from college. I was with him a few months ago and just took some random snapshots while we were out and about. I got this one of him and his daughter and it actually came out decent. Only problem I thought is that busy background! I shot it at 1.8 with the SEL35 and Nex6. I remember him seeing it on the camera and he liked it so I figured I'd give it to him in a little frame for Christmas.

Anyways I got to playing with it in PS the other day and started to blur out that OOF area a little more. Should I give the edited (more blurry) version or the less blurry version that is the original. Or neither if you think the picture sucks.

Any preference? Guess I need a 1.2 lens!

more blurred pp'd

original

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
maxuci
Contributing MemberPosts: 593
Like?
Re: What should I do here? PP preference Query
In reply to Tommygun45, 11 months ago

Could you also try to washout the background in PS (decrease contrast and increase exposure)?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NikB747
Regular MemberPosts: 127Gear list
Like?

I like the top one, a little bit more blurred but it doesn't look unnaturally blurred.

nik

NikB747's gear list:NikB747's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7R Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro +9 more
kaku
Contributing MemberPosts: 612
Like?

It's a nice picture, but I can't help but see the little girl kissing the truck.  Perhaps you should try burning the background a bit.  It'll also throw more emphasis on the subjects as well.

edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?
personally

I think I might crop it to a portrait orientation and get rid of as much on the left as I could without cutting off the girls fingers. There isnt really anything of interest over there anyway and who wants to see an out of focus truck

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
npires
Senior MemberPosts: 1,190Gear list
Like?
Re: personally
In reply to edwardaneal, 11 months ago

edwardaneal wrote:

I think I might crop it to a portrait orientation and get rid of as much on the left as I could without cutting off the girls fingers. There isnt really anything of interest over there anyway and who wants to see an out of focus truck

+1

npires's gear list:npires's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony Alpha 7 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
Mel Snyder
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,014Gear list
Like?

Tommygun45 wrote:

So I rarely get to spend any time with my old roommate from college. I was with him a few months ago and just took some random snapshots while we were out and about. I got this one of him and his daughter and it actually came out decent. Only problem I thought is that busy background! I shot it at 1.8 with the SEL35 and Nex6. I remember him seeing it on the camera and he liked it so I figured I'd give it to him in a little frame for Christmas.

Anyways I got to playing with it in PS the other day and started to blur out that OOF area a little more. Should I give the edited (more blurry) version or the less blurry version that is the original. Or neither if you think the picture sucks.

Any preference? Guess I need a 1.2 lens!

more blurred pp'd

original

An f1.2 lens would not "save" this image, nor will any amount of post-processing. There is nothing left of center that would be enhanced, and precious little to the right of center. The light is glaring, flat and uninteresting. Your friend's face is in shadow, his daughter's is largely invisible.

Had you turned them around - or circled around them - and captured them interacting, the scene might have worked.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but if you spent quality time with your buddy and his daughter, you ought to look through the other images and find one that will capture their expressions. Or a scene you both enjoyed that day. That would make a good gift.

Mel Snyder's gear list:Mel Snyder's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +12 more
Tommygun45
Senior MemberPosts: 1,070Gear list
Like?
In reply to npires, 11 months ago

npires wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

+1

Good tips, what do you think of this version?

Tommygun45's gear list:Tommygun45's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Sony a6000 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS +3 more
Dunnlang
Regular MemberPosts: 140Gear list
Like?

edwardaneal wrote:

I agree with the crop.

I really do like your first PP'd picture. Framed as it is, this would be fantastic for a parade or anything else that suggest what the pair was enjoying together.

*Edit* I missed your update before my post.  The cropped image feels better.  I like it.

Dunnlang's gear list:Dunnlang's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S8000 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS
Hugo600si
Contributing MemberPosts: 734Gear list
Like?

For me, #1, I would cut it in a square, take a little off the right and even less of the bottom too to make the lines stronger. I played in photoshop and it looks pretty good to me if you loose the car with some solid dodge and burn to make it more of a smudge (remove window, tire mostly) Apply some unsharpen filter to tidy it up a little and I'd call it completed.

Nice shot, I love the angle chosen and a bit serious look, leaves something to the imagination.

-- hide signature --

Shamelessly promoting my favourite painters website (my wife's ) and my handiwork:
http://EdithsArt.com and http://EditshArt.nl (Dutch)

Hugo600si's gear list:Hugo600si's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +11 more
hpchan
Contributing MemberPosts: 644Gear list
Like?

I like the second a bit.

-- hide signature --

hpchan

hpchan's gear list:hpchan's gear list
Samsung NX100
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786Gear list
Like?

This was my thought as well.  The truck kinda ruins an otherwise nice shot.   The other option is to photoshop a nice waterfall in place of the truck....

Just remember, what does not add subtracts.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
RonFrank
Senior MemberPosts: 1,786Gear list
Like?

Much better!

I think your buddy will like that.  Most folks are not as picky as those that are into photography.

RonFrank's gear list:RonFrank's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +5 more
edwardaneal
Senior MemberPosts: 9,101Gear list
Like?

Tommygun45 wrote:

npires wrote:

edwardaneal wrote:

+1

Good tips, what do you think of this version?

I like this much better - now it is clear what the focus of the picture is, you r friend and his daughter. In the original I was left wondering what it was they were looking at.

sometimes you have to work with what you have, and considering what you have - this works

edwardaneal's gear list:edwardaneal's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32
GaryW
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,213Gear list
Like?

Yeah, when I saw the original, I was going to suggest a crop. Sometimes that will save a photo, even a modest crop.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads