Outrageous and Irresponsible Prediction on MSN Money today

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions
SteveS58
Regular MemberPosts: 367Gear list
Like?
Outrageous and Irresponsible Prediction on MSN Money today
Dec 9, 2013

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/c_galleryregular.aspx?cp-documentid=251638333

I couldn't believe reading this today.  We all know that Olympus' cash cow is their medical business.  The camera business' research and development supports the success of the medical division.  Olympus does not need more negativity.

Brad Ross
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,188
Like?
Re: Outrageous and Irresponsible Prediction on MSN Money today
In reply to SteveS58, Dec 9, 2013

yeah I saw that, and ignored it

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,788Gear list
Like?

I feel better now. If msn money predicts it, it can't happen.

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-420 Olympus E-5 +36 more
Bobby J
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,759Gear list
Like?

I have a neighbor who is a senior VP at a large Hospital chain that operates here where I live.  He has been their purchaser for some time.  He mainly buys Olympus equipment and he and the staff agree it's the best there is.  Oly is NOT going out of business anytime soon.  Camera division might be another situation.  That might get sold off, or shut down, but likely not.  If the reception of the EM-1 is any indication, I think we might see the wounds at the camera division start to heal.  This hasn't caught on big here in the US, but I think it's doing pretty well in the Far East, and perhaps other places.  I really believe at some point we might see m4:3 start to catch on in the U.S. and Europe.

I certainly hope so.

-- hide signature --

BJM

highyoyo
Regular MemberPosts: 128
Like?

Whenever you watch reporting on a subject that you know well, you probably note all the inaccuracies, misstatements, and complete lack of knowledge of the reporters.

Why then would you believe them on other subjects?

The news media knows nothing about a wide range of subjects...

searun
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467
Like?

I had the pleasure of being on the receiving end of an endoscopy recently. I asked the Doc what brand of scope he uses. "Olympus", he replied, "and I would not use anything else. They are the best".

Jim Salvas
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,081Gear list
Like?

They made the same prediction about Olympus in May and didn't bother to update their info based on current conditions. Lazy "journalism."

And, by their own admission, their track record has been spotty.

-- hide signature --

Jim Salvas

Jim Salvas's gear list:Jim Salvas's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +7 more
CharlesB58
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,874
Like?

They do this every year. At one time I believe they said Apple wouldn't be around.
--
If, in my lifetime, I will have produced just one image that makes a real difference in the life of another, I will have achieved my highest goal as a photographer.

http://ikkens.zenfolio.com/

http://sarob-w.deviantart.com/

John King
Forum ProPosts: 12,797Gear list
Like?
In reply to SteveS58, Dec 10, 2013

Yeah, Steve

My gastro-enterologist prefers not stick his smartphone either down or up, as the case may be ...
Usually both ... .

He finds that the Olympus operating endoscopes he uses for these purposes work better, and so does his smartphone, at the end of the day ... .

Besides, most smartphones cannot be sterilised properly ...

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-1
boggis the cat
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,295Gear list
Like?
Short-selling

SteveS58 wrote:

I couldn't believe reading this today. We all know that Olympus' cash cow is their medical business. The camera business' research and development supports the success of the medical division. Olympus does not need more negativity.

Someone has shorted a lot of Olympus stock.  Maybe the same people that will have shorted Nikon, before pronouncing doom upon them recently.

This shouldn't be legal, really.  (Or at the very least should be thoroughly investigated.)

boggis the cat's gear list:boggis the cat's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
OlyChamp
Senior MemberPosts: 4,418Gear list
Like?
Market Share

As they quite rightly put "disappear from USA".  Given that's a market of only 300 million out of nearly 6.5 billion I doubt any of those businesses will be too concerned.

Now if Olympus manufactured an E7 that acts like a phone and pocket PC they'd snare market share.  All Hail The Saviour!!

Thane

-- hide signature --

"I take photographs, if you want them back see my lawyer!!"

OlyChamp's gear list:OlyChamp's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Aoresteen
Regular MemberPosts: 279Gear list
Like?

In 1997 K-Mart was said to be going away. They bought Sears and are still here. JCP will be here for a long time as they have significant real estate holdings.

What percentage of the market does Leica have?  Much much less than Olympus.  And they are still here.

I agree that they have shorted the stock.  Olympus will be here for Christmas 2015.

Aoresteen's gear list:Aoresteen's gear list
Olympus C-5060 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 +13 more
Pete_CSCS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,078Gear list
Like?
Their stock has been going up steadily...

... since the scandal.  Click on 3 Yrs.

http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/chart?symbol=7733.T

-- hide signature --

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)
Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +5 more
TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,832
Like?
You may be right
In reply to boggis the cat, Dec 10, 2013

Every so often, I will see a writeup in a financial publication or site on a subject that I know quite a bit about. And it never ceases to amaze me what a shallow and reactionary look they take at everything. The Motley Fool is particularly bad about manufacturing panic with some selective enhancement or omission - not hard to blow holes in their stories.

It's one reason I steer clear of the stock market. If that's what financial people base their decisions on, then it's really random chance - your stocks are at the mercy of whatever can be made to look bad this week.

Even in the camera world, Olympus has gone from niche also-ran to front runner in a new market that shows strong signs of threatening the established powers that be. Things look pretty good for them.

Darrell500
Senior MemberPosts: 2,017Gear list
Like?

I posted basically the same thing about four months ago only it was Yahoo that predicted Olympus wouldn't survive 2014, now it's MSN, I hope they are both wrong. 

With Panasonic making m43 bodies at least you micro shooters won't have to worry about your mount becoming obsolete.

-- hide signature --

"Don't Be Afraid To See What You See"
Darrell

Darrell500's gear list:Darrell500's gear list
Olympus E-5 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +25 more
Sergey_Green
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,285Gear list
Like?
I see no reason to call it 'irresponsible' ..
In reply to SteveS58, Dec 11, 2013

SteveS58 wrote:

I couldn't believe reading this today. We all know that Olympus' cash cow is their medical business. The camera business' research and development supports the success of the medical division. Olympus does not need more negativity.

You can write 'Olympus imaging division have been losing money for straight five years' with a smile - it does not help the reality though, does it? Why do you say publicity is irresponsible?

-- hide signature --

- sergey

Sergey_Green's gear list:Sergey_Green's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1
Olymore
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170Gear list
Like?

Quite frankly if Olympus were to pull out of the USA it wouldn't make a lot of difference to them.
With the whole of North America accounting for 16% of cameras sold and Olympus market share being quite smal relative to other parts of the world you're probably talking about 5% of Olympus sales.

Is it worthwhile having a support/distribution network covering such a large geographical area for a relatively small proportion of sales.

Greater Tokyo area probably buys more Olympus cameras than the USA.

-- hide signature --

There are 10 types of people.
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Hokuto
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,847Gear list
Like?

The article's "fine print" wasn't fleshed out; it said that the sales of "point-and-shoot" cameras was falling. We heard that same thing just the other day in another thread on this very forum, I believe. But the shoe that didn't drop (bad metaphor) was the news that as manufacturers shift away from bargain basement products--they've effectively ceded that market to China--they are instead placing more emphasis on the top-tier items--in the case of Olympus, that would be the E-M1. This may be an economy-wide trend. I think it was just this morning that I saw the front-page lede to an article in the Mainichi newspaper that talked about how fast food chains like Lotteria are beginning to shift marketing emphasis to high-end luxury hamburgers. (At the same time, that makes me hope they're not ceding the market for 100-yen burgers to Chinese h̶o̶r̶s̶e̶-̶d̶o̶g̶-̶p̶o̶r̶p̶o̶i̶s̶e̶ "beef")

-- hide signature --

'And only the stump, or fishy part of him remained'
http://www2.gol.com/users/nhavens
A Contemplative Companion to Fujino Township

Hokuto's gear list:Hokuto's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-300 Olympus E-M1 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads