Borg assimilation

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
Borg assimilation
10 months ago

[If you imagine any hostility, bad feelings or ill will in the following.  Let me assure you it isn't there.  I have found this entire business hugely amusing.  When my last note was "locked" I laughed for about 20 seconds.]

I'll be 80 this year but as it happens (being a former Marine) I still like to fight.  However, I thought I might be on the cusp of being banned so I decided to check out another Olympus forum, one in the UK.  I registered and said a bit about myself, e.g. that I like to hike and take photos in the process.  The very first note of welcome I got included, "I see you like to hike.  Have you ever considered an OM.  They are small and lightweight and ideal to take on hikes."  I laughed for a long time over that as well.  But I eventually answered saying I had the E-420 which was also lightweight, light enough to have around my neck on hikes.  The E-600 was pretty light as well.   This morning I decided to go on a walk instead of a hike.  I considered taking the E-600 but the dogs would be pulling this way and that and I wasn't up to having a camera bounce around.  On the walk we went through a large vacant area with grassy knolls and huge black birds close by and I wished I'd taken some sort of camera along.

The next person to welcome me just said that, welcome, but I checked his photo site and discovered he used an EPL-5.  I checked that on DPReview and then checked eBay.  I discovered EPL-3s were being sold new for $199.  The reviews indicated that they were good quality and one of the reviewers commenting that he used this camera for the precise purpose I had in mind.  I'll have to get a case for the little thing, but I assume I can find one on eBay.  Does that sound right?

With the encouragement of the moderators, I have allowed myself to be assimilated. 

Borg Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
Olympus E-420 Olympus E-600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
goblin
Senior MemberPosts: 2,724Gear list
Like?
Re: Borg assimilation
In reply to Historicity, 10 months ago

Can you vouch for some quality found worthy by the Collective, or posing a threat to Borg activities, to warrant an individual assimilation ?

goblin's gear list:goblin's gear list
Ricoh GXR P10 28-300mm F3.5-5.6 VC Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-400 +31 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Historicity
Regular MemberPosts: 321Gear list
Like?
In reply to goblin, 10 months ago

goblin wrote:

Can you vouch for some quality found worthy by the Collective, or posing a threat to Borg activities, to warrant an individual assimilation ?

Completed Boot Camp in the United States Marine Corps

Received combat training of all sorts, no doubt obsolete now but the principles should remain vailid

Fired expert and after I returned from Korea was a Rifle Instructor at Camp Pendleton.  I've discovered btw that my experience with weapons, especially understanding a proper "trigger pull" helps me hold a camera steady off-hand . . . er hand lend shooting. . . whatever.

Besides, resistance is futile.

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-330 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 +43 more
CrashE3
Contributing MemberPosts: 820
Like?
BRASS

Breath -Relax -Aim -Stop -Squeeze

Works wonderful for photography and marksmanship.

-- hide signature --

Visualize Whirled Peas.

Stew Volt
Regular MemberPosts: 171
Like?

That UK forum is very fine, hope you stick.

Pete_CSCS
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,033Gear list
Like?
If you can't fight 'em, join 'em. (nt)
-- hide signature --

'When nothing seems to help, I go and look at a stonecutter hammering away at
his rock perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.
Yet at the hundred and first blow it will split in two,
and I know it was not that blow that did it,
but all that had gone before.'
-- Jacob Riis (1849 - 1914)

Stay Well,
Pete K.

Pete_CSCS's gear list:Pete_CSCS's gear list
Kodak EasyShare Z612 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +5 more
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,004
Like?

e-pL3 is indeed tiny, and so cheap.

It has a slightly different colour to your e-600 but a very similar sensor.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

TrapperJohn
Forum ProPosts: 10,645
Like?
Speaking of not having the camera with you...

I got one of the first EM5's, about a year and a half ago. Every day for a week, I would get home from work and head out into the forest where I live, to try it out.

On the sixth day, I just wanted to go check on my ginseng crop (fussy little plant, picky about where it grows), and ah, I think I can leave the new camera as I was running out of things to photo.

Up in the woods, I heard a clicking sound, that kept getting closer. Out from a bush steps Momma turkey and four little ones. Probably 15 feet away. Oh, left the camera at home, did you? Well, here's my best profile pose. Here's the head on look. And one with the kids.

Several years ago, the same thing happened when I first got my E3, only that time it was a peregrine falcon, landing on a branch ten feet away from me. That darn bird posed for five minutes, with that 'forgot your camera?' smirk on its beak.

One thing I would suggest - consider bumping up to the EPL5, it has the later Sony sensor with bags of PP headroom, and a folding lcd. Oly is selling off refurb'd EPL5's for a very nice price on the getolympus.com site. They also have refurb 45 1.8's at a nice price, if you want to see what it can really do - it's like a 50M without the macro, but a lot smaller and a lot faster focusing.

They're really not so bad, and they sure are small.

Dave Hanson
Regular MemberPosts: 381Gear list
Like?
Re: BRASS
In reply to CrashE3, 10 months ago

CrashE3 wrote:

Breath -Relax -Aim -Stop -Squeeze

Works wonderful for photography and marksmanship.

-- hide signature --

Visualize Whirled Peas.

Hunter training from my teenage years helped a lot with my subsequent photo hobby. I'm sure I'm not the only one

Dave Hanson's gear list:Dave Hanson's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +6 more
Ulfric M Douglas
Senior MemberPosts: 4,004
Like?
Re: Speaking of not having the camera with you...
In reply to TrapperJohn, 10 months ago

TrapperJohn wrote:

One thing I would suggest - consider bumping up to the EPL5, it has the later Sony sensor with bags of PP headroom, and a folding lcd. Oly is selling off refurb'd EPL5's for a very nice price on the getolympus.com site. They also have refurb 45 1.8's at a nice price, if you want to see what it can really do - it's like a 50M without the macro, but a lot smaller and a lot faster focusing.

Last time I looked he was happy spending £199,

I'm not sure spending three times as much is on his shopping list

That 45mm is really great, something the 4/3rds DSLR system never had in terms of lightness and fast focus.

-- hide signature --

Cheksa wrote:
You're evil Ulfric.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads