G16 LSC - protective cover or no need?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Rick Hughes
Regular MemberPosts: 101
Like?
G16 LSC - protective cover or no need?
8 months ago

On The G16 what is the current thoughts on a protective cover to LCD screen, still worthwhile or no longer needed (screen now hard enough ?)

Canon PowerShot G16
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 760
Like?
Re: G16 LSC - protective cover or no need?
In reply to Rick Hughes, 8 months ago

I did not put one on my G15 and had no problems with any damage. So I don't plan on putting one on my new G16.

Now I am very careful and don't just stick cameras in a pocket,so it's not really something I worry about. Everyone handles their cameras in many ways,so it's up to them to decide.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
crashpc
Senior MemberPosts: 2,081Gear list
Like?
In reply to digitalcuriosity, 8 months ago

I would not bother even in clean pocket. If you go gentle on it, It can´t break anyhow. Anyway it´s just a machine, you need to use it comfortably, and you will propably change it in few years, so why would one lower his sensation and comfort for this?

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

crashpc's gear list:crashpc's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM
digitalcuriosity
Contributing MemberPosts: 760
Like?
In reply to crashpc, 8 months ago

crashpc wrote:

I would not bother even in clean pocket. If you go gentle on it, It can´t break anyhow. Anyway it´s just a machine, you need to use it comfortably, and you will propably change it in few years, so why would one lower his sensation and comfort for this?

-- hide signature --

Why does he do it?

I agree and it's how I go with my iPads Samsung tablets and Samsung phone. I also have a Canon 50D 60D 70D and 7D all without any protective covers on their LCDs. Before switching to a Samsung Galaxy S3 phone I carried an iPhone in pants pocket two years and the LCD looked brand new when sold back to Best Buy. The new tough glass's are great.

Joe186
Senior MemberPosts: 1,704
Like?
In reply to digitalcuriosity, 8 months ago

Eh, for a few bucks, I always throw on cheap one and ignore the bubbles. They mostly smooth out over a few months anyway. Even a cheap screen protector, will definitely help the screen resist cracking from impact too.

-- hide signature --
Dale Buhanan
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,592Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rick Hughes, 8 months ago

Rick Hughes wrote:

On The G16 what is the current thoughts on a protective cover to LCD screen, still worthwhile or no longer needed (screen now hard enough ?)

The LCD cover on the G15 and G16 is hard tempered glass.  It is the same stuff that is on the iPad 4 retina display.  It is pretty durable stuff -- very hard to scratch or break.  I didn't feel a need for anything else on mine... or the iPad either for that matter.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 Canon PowerShot G6 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot Pro1 +34 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads