Made a mistake! read about Nikons 16 35 and 24 120, how do you feel??

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
rubicon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
Made a mistake! read about Nikons 16 35 and 24 120, how do you feel??
10 months ago

Working my part time job,[two days] this week end, I'm retired and work as a security guard on week ends at a big power plant. I have my own library of camera books and videos to pass the time 12 hour shift 5 pm to 5am sat. and sunday nights, in my locker at work.

While reading and summarizing my needs and wants for my possible last year to work period. I've posted several times on how to set up my system for my volunteering zoo photography, well I'm also making lasting adjustments for other photographing needs.

My D700 is my main camera,no i have no plans to upgrade to a newer body, my 12 MPX body's work just fine for me.

Okay to cut to the chase, right now I'm shooting primes, 28 50,and 85 Nikons, and been reading about a super "walk around" zoom so I have landed on these two as just what might fill my needs. The 16 35 f4, and 24 120. I have had the two previous Nikon 24 120 lenses and really liked them so thinking about the newest version, I like the lens I don't care for the price. The most of what i have read its not that much better than the first VR copy[my second 24 120] so I'm throwing to you users as a walk around on my D700, with my Nikon primes 28 G 50 G and 85 G as part of my kit, which lens most likely do you feel for IQ and usability works best or can handle more situations best?

I have a Nikon grip on my D700, and a "chunky" lens should balance quite nice on it. I have thought of a 24 70 2.8, but price and i just don't feel the need for the additional speed f4 should work nice.

The 16 35 has distortion and the 24 120 some softness, whats your opinion as a user of either of these lenses, use will be landscapes  events, and festivals, and when I complete my retirement hitting the car show and cruise in  shows hot and heavy, can't do it now week end work, and i hope to get back to shooting motocross and motorcycle racing.

Thanks folks I'm saving my "pennies" for making my last purchases one for my zoo photography and my fun photography.

Rubicon:

rubicon's gear list:rubicon's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Nikon D700
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 2,105
Like?
Re: Made a mistake! read about Nikons 16 35 and 24 120, how do you feel??
In reply to rubicon, 10 months ago

I found my D700 to be less demanding on lenses than the D800 or D7100.  I think you will be fine with either or both lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zvonko
Regular MemberPosts: 337Gear list
Like?

I've had all three 24~120 lenses and my strong opinion is that the newer lens blows the other two out of the water. The new one adds a creamy vibrant look to my photos which I like.

The 16~35 is also a wonderful lens I did compare it to my 12~24 but I don't need both. I had already purchased the 12~24 and borrowed the 16~35. Put simply I could have one or the other for sharpness and colour contrast..,etc. You may miss 2.8 but the D700 bumps up ISO pretty good so maybe not.

Zvonko's gear list:Zvonko's gear list
Nikon D3X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +12 more
rubicon
Like?
In reply to Zvonko, 10 months ago

Well you are pretty well confirming what I expected! the 24 120 lenses I really liked, they covered so much of what i felt I needed, I'm not real crazy about the price, but I might swallow my pride and make the jump.

I prefer using my primes but there is times I like to fall back on a good zoom, I looked at the new 18 35 but its a variable aperture and i prefer the f4, I had the first 18 35 bought in film days for my N90s, but when went digital [D70] not very good focal range so i sold it.

If you were to request Nikon make a change to the 24 120 f4 VR, what would you request? the two previous versions I had I liked the build quality, I dropped my VR version about 3 feet to asphalt, but only bummed up the lens hood, I felt my copy was very good, but i did my own experiment and after getting the D700, and i could see softness in corners, where my D70 just didn't have the resolving power to show at least show to me! thats why i sold that version, and bought primes.

I can't think of another Nikon lens in this focal range that tempts me other than a 2.8, and I just don't want to go that way, I have been reading lots of reviews of these two lenses and impressed with them

I've read several reviews on photo zone but! with their results on Nikon lenses you would be inclined to switch to Canon, I think they are very biased, just my take.

Thanks I'll continue to read reviews, and evaluate my needs, but I do keep coming back to the 24 120 as the lens most capable of giving me the "zoom freedom" I prefer. My plans are if I purchase the 24 120, I'll pair it up with my Tokina 17 3.5 move my 28 1.8 G over to my D200 as a single camera lens and "grab'n go" and my new description for photographing with that camera Nikons DF, Pure photography! I like at times to just enter a little world of allowing my vision to be simple and honest, by using one camera and one lens no other "stuff" currently I use a old 24 50 Nikon af lens from my film days and thats my pure set up and will replace it with the 28 1.8.

Again thanks, I have felt the 24 120 would be a big favorite of so many, oh yes does it focus very fast?? in your feelings?

Rubicon:

Nikon D90 Nikon D2X Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
Zvonko
Like?

rubicon wrote:

If you were to request Nikon make a change to the 24 120 f4 VR, what would you request?

I can't think of another Nikon lens in this focal range that tempts me other than a 2.8, and I just don't want to go that way, I have been reading lots of reviews of these two lenses and impressed with them

Again thanks, I have felt the 24 120 would be a big favorite of so many, oh yes does it focus very fast?? in your feelings?

Rubicon:

the only thing they could impress me with would possibly be a massive front element and f2.8.

YES the new lens focus' as fast as anything in my practical use. For weddings and I consider that "walk around", it's made to measure.

I find the 24~120 to be as good as anything else out there, but I'm a stalwart I don't need to buy the 24~70 2.8 while my original 28~70 2.8  is possibly sharper on my D800 or D4.

And I tell people all the time that you can find a good copy of the 28~70 on the web for under a ton, you just have to ask sellers say on eBay whether it squeaks a lot or not... because there are many for sale while many have had hard lives so you have to be diligent to find the best copy. I just thought I'd throw that in because you mention the 24~70. Though you say you don't need 2.8 it does come in handy.

Nikon D3X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +12 more
rubicon
Like?
In reply to Zvonko, 10 months ago

Zvonko wrote:

rubicon wrote:

If you were to request Nikon make a change to the 24 120 f4 VR, what would you request?

Rubicon:

the only thing they could impress me with would possibly be a massive front element and f2.8.

YES the new lens focus' as fast as anything in my practical use. For weddings and I consider that "walk around", it's made to measure.

I find the 24~120 to be as good as anything else out there, but I'm a stalwart I don't need to buy the 24~70 2.8 while my original 28~70 2.8 is possibly sharper on my D800 or D4.

And I tell people all the time that you can find a good copy of the 28~70 on the web for under a ton, you just have to ask sellers say on eBay whether it squeaks a lot or not... because there are many for sale while many have had hard lives so you have to be diligent to find the best copy. I just thought I'd throw that in because you mention the 24~70. Though you say you don't need 2.8 it does come in handy.

I had considered a 28 70, one of my friends shoots a D3S and has the 28 70 2.8, I have used it on my D700 and I did like it, and the price for a very fast mid size zoom is very good.

Thanks for the response on lens speed, my VR version was fast also but not in the league I expect the f4 version to be.

I live in southwest Indiana, so i don't have a grand canyon, nor a Yellowstone, to shoot in but if I put in some research and get out I can find many cool locations to photo, I like old country barns, and old farms, and we have them in spades.

Again thanks, you have given me some valuable information for me to make a decision, not just yet, I have some health issues to attend to after the first of the year, and I'm saving my money, not flush since retirement, 4 years ago, have to go slow, but looking forward to shooting till time to go to the worm farm!!

The D700 was a retirement gift my wife gave me, otherwise I'd most likely be shooting a D300 or 7100, liked the intro of the D600, but we know where that went.

Rubicon:

SamG10
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?

You can't go wrong with the 24-120 VRII.  It is my most used lens and i have a few.  It is ideal as a walk around or travel lens.  You can capture wonderful closeups with too.  I actually prefer it to the 24-70 because it is VR.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
erniedecker
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?

I have both the 24-120 and the 24-70. 90% of the time I use the 24-120, even shooting weddings. I'll use the f2.8 if it's a really dark reception for the better ability to focus, but other than that the 24-120 is my go-to short lens. If money is an issue, consider buying used. Almost everything I own was bought used off of fredmiranda.com  .

slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,507Gear list
Like?

The 24~120mm f4 VR is a lovely lens on a D700. It is far, far, far superior to the old variable aperture version.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,507Gear list
Like?
In reply to StillLearning, 10 months ago

StillLearning wrote:

I found my D700 to be less demanding on lenses than the D800 or D7100.  I think you will be fine with either or both lenses.

A good reason not to upgrade

-- hide signature --

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
StillLearning
Senior MemberPosts: 2,105
Like?
In reply to slimandy, 10 months ago

slimandy wrote:

StillLearning wrote:

I found my D700 to be less demanding on lenses than the D800 or D7100. I think you will be fine with either or both lenses.

A good reason not to upgrade

-- hide signature --

Well the OP is retired and stated he is very happy with his D700 and has no intention of upgrading.  Those lenses will do very well on that camera.  He also has a D200 and they will do very well on that camera also. 

jmiller1948
Contributing MemberPosts: 729Gear list
Like?
In reply to slimandy, 10 months ago

slimandy wrote:

The 24~120mm f4 VR is a lovely lens on a D700. It is far, far, far superior to the old variable aperture version.

-- hide signature --

Absolutely!  I have both the 16-35 and the 24-120.  I had the second generation 24-120 and the one I have now is head and shoulders above it.  I use the 24-120 anytime I travel or if I'm just out shooting random things because it has such a wide range of focal length.  I love both these, but if I could only have one, I'd have the 24-120 because of its versatility.

-- hide signature --

Joel
There is only you and your camera. The limitations in your photography are in yourself, for what we see is what we are.
Ernst Haas

jmiller1948's gear list:jmiller1948's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +7 more
Jon Ingram
Regular MemberPosts: 117Gear list
Like?
The 24-120 f4 is good, or you can wait for the sigma

The sigma 24-105 f/4 is coming out soon and is reportedly amazing. The Nikkor 24-120 is good enough, not as good as many of the other f/4 zooms though (16-35, 70-200). Still good though...

http://www.lenstip.com/389.1-Lens_review-Sigma_A_24-105_mm_f_4_DG_OS_HSM.html

Zvonko
Like?
Re: The 24-120 f4 is good, or you can wait for the sigma
In reply to Jon Ingram, 10 months ago

Jon Ingram wrote:

The sigma 24-105 f/4 is coming out soon and is reportedly amazing. The Nikkor 24-120 is good enough, not as good as many of the other f/4 zooms though (16-35, 70-200). Still good though...

http://www.lenstip.com/389.1-Lens_review-Sigma_A_24-105_mm_f_4_DG_OS_HSM.html

man, even that review you posted sais that the sigma is "almost as good as the major marks", If you summarise.

How does that help??

hypercore360
Contributing MemberPosts: 862Gear list
Like?

rubicon wrote:

Working my part time job,[two days] this week end, I'm retired and work as a security guard on week ends at a big power plant. I have my own library of camera books and videos to pass the time 12 hour shift 5 pm to 5am sat. and sunday nights, in my locker at work.

While reading and summarizing my needs and wants for my possible last year to work period. I've posted several times on how to set up my system for my volunteering zoo photography, well I'm also making lasting adjustments for other photographing needs.

My D700 is my main camera,no i have no plans to upgrade to a newer body, my 12 MPX body's work just fine for me.

Okay to cut to the chase, right now I'm shooting primes, 28 50,and 85 Nikons, and been reading about a super "walk around" zoom so I have landed on these two as just what might fill my needs. The 16 35 f4, and 24 120. I have had the two previous Nikon 24 120 lenses and really liked them so thinking about the newest version, I like the lens I don't care for the price. The most of what i have read its not that much better than the first VR copy[my second 24 120] so I'm throwing to you users as a walk around on my D700, with my Nikon primes 28 G 50 G and 85 G as part of my kit, which lens most likely do you feel for IQ and usability works best or can handle more situations best?

I have a Nikon grip on my D700, and a "chunky" lens should balance quite nice on it. I have thought of a 24 70 2.8, but price and i just don't feel the need for the additional speed f4 should work nice.

The 16 35 has distortion and the 24 120 some softness, whats your opinion as a user of either of these lenses, use will be landscapes events, and festivals, and when I complete my retirement hitting the car show and cruise in shows hot and heavy, can't do it now week end work, and i hope to get back to shooting motocross and motorcycle racing.

Thanks folks I'm saving my "pennies" for making my last purchases one for my zoo photography and my fun photography.

Rubicon:

Get yourself the Nikkor 28-300 for your D700. It will serve you quite well.

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D90 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
bigconig
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
In reply to StillLearning, 10 months ago

StillLearning wrote:

I found my D700 to be less demanding on lenses than the D800 or D7100. I think you will be fine with either or both lenses.

I agree 100%, Almost everything I put on my 700 looked great. I used a 28-105 as a walk around for quite a while with great results.

-- hide signature --
 bigconig's gear list:bigconig's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +10 more
rubicon
Like?
In reply to hypercore360, 10 months ago

Thanks, I have looked at the 28 300, but! is it not a great compromise? I'm thinking its a bunch of lenses rolled into one and none any to hot??

I have no experience with the 28 300 never even seen one or held it, can it work as a "great" walk around lens or does it have to many short comings? too soft, distortion, slow focus? I do think working with all primes I can see where a "super zoom" would have advantages, would some one else like to enter their feelings, I'm not putting any lens by substance or reputation at the front or back of the pack, I'm using my 3 major primes for my serious "stuff" on my D700, and would like a good quality zoom to have for the moments I don't want to "walk" back and forth, sort of like standing on the edge of the Grand Canyon, and take 5 steps forward????  then the zoom could be a great asset!

Thanks just not familiar with the 28 300, does interest me?

Rubicon:

Janoch
Contributing MemberPosts: 852Gear list
Like?

I'm using the 24-120mm f/4 on my D800, enjoying it a lot

But if you want to see, what good photographers can get out of it, go over to NikonCafe's "Lens Lust" section and check out the dedicated 24-120 f/4 thread. There you can see, how this lens truly can shine...

To quote some of my "gurus", Randy and Colin Carter, on the 24-120mm f/4:

"Unless you need 2.8, I can't tell a 24-70 shot from a 24-120 shot, the 24-120 is that good (I own and shoot them both)"

"Unless you need f2.8 there is no need to look at any other zoom in this range, it's as good as Nikons 24-70 and a lot more versatile with a much better zoom range and vr.

Don't hesitate, it's superb"

"I've not noticed any shortcomings"

"I don't use or like them (primes) now.
Zoom IQ has really improved to the point where I don't use wide primes any more the 14-24,24-70,24-120,70-200 and 80-400 are prime like in the IQ they produce and are way more convenient and fun to shoot"

Janoch's gear list:Janoch's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +1 more
mfahim27753
Contributing MemberPosts: 792Gear list
Like?

I have used both lens with D800, and the 16-35 is sharper than 24-120 in my case. Also 16-35 is my primary lens for landscapes so I sold the 24-120 and bought 50mm and 85mm, which covers quite an useful range, and the added sharpness of prime lenses.

-- hide signature --
 mfahim27753's gear list:mfahim27753's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sony RX100 II Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +6 more
rudyr
Regular MemberPosts: 337
Like?
In reply to mfahim27753, 10 months ago

Push comes to shove and I can only take 1 lens on my D600, it's the 24-120.  Flexible zoom range and "fast enough", especially with VR for stills.  2.8 zooms don't do anything for me, because 1 additional stop isn't worth it for the limitations on zoom range and extra weight.  If I want faster than F4, I'm probably reaching for a prime.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads