Opinions appreciated

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions
Peeceeuk
Forum MemberPosts: 59Gear list
Like?
Opinions appreciated
Dec 9, 2013

Hi there.

As a favor to this musician I was asked to film him as he performed this song.

My boss suggested I try filming with my Nikon, something I have been getting my head around of late.

We recorded the video and song in one take. I then had some time to do something with the footage and this is what I ended up with.

I am just curious to get peoples opinions. I know it falls short of a professional level but for a last minute, one take attempt, I feel quite happy with it.

Do not forget to select 1080p from the settings menu. I think the quality got a bit mangled uploading to youtube so I need to figure out the best upload settings.

http://youtu.be/n6_8U3kiJ60

Peeceeuk's gear list:Peeceeuk's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye
Kim Letkeman
Forum ProPosts: 33,128Gear list
Like?
Re: Opinions appreciated
In reply to Peeceeuk, Dec 10, 2013

Peeceeuk wrote:

Hi there.

As a favor to this musician I was asked to film him as he performed this song.

My boss suggested I try filming with my Nikon, something I have been getting my head around of late.

We recorded the video and song in one take. I then had some time to do something with the footage and this is what I ended up with.

I am just curious to get peoples opinions. I know it falls short of a professional level but for a last minute, one take attempt, I feel quite happy with it.

Do not forget to select 1080p from the settings menu. I think the quality got a bit mangled uploading to youtube so I need to figure out the best upload settings.

http://youtu.be/n6_8U3kiJ60

Excellent! Extremely watchable ... I really enjoyed it. Swedish I assume? Anyway, well played and well sang. Great audio ... I assume you used the feed from those mics? That sounded far better than a Nikon could do.

I think you handled the lighting well and your movement added to the video. Gave it some movement and life. Definitely worked for me.

Minor nits ... the CA on the guitar when the light hits it is breathtaking ... and the focus is not all that great, but I think it works anyway. The movement makes it work.

Anyway ... good job.

Kim Letkeman's gear list:Kim Letkeman's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 990 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Peeceeuk
Like?
In reply to Kim Letkeman, Dec 10, 2013

Thank you very much.
It is indeed in Swedish and he is a good musician.
I did not know that I would only get one chance to film. I assumed he would be doing it a couple of times.
I therefore stuck with the in one take footage and tried to adapt it as well as I could.
That also explains the nervy zoom and focus changes.
Thanks again.
I think they have agreed to let me do another so lessons have been learned from this experience.

Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron AF 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye
thorn-
Regular MemberPosts: 273
Like?
In reply to Peeceeuk, Dec 12, 2013

Pretty watchable, actually. For a first time - good job!

Crits

- Was something going on with the aperture correcting itself? When you zoomed in, the levels seemed to change.

- Lots of vignette when zoomed in, but also some when zoomed out. Really didn't care for this.

- I can't decide if I liked the color overall or not... maybe it suits the mood of the lyrics? Not -bad- ... just ... something to watch in the future, if it wasn't intentional.

- The zooms and focusing were a bit off at times, but you're already aware of this.

Finally - and not your fault at all - a lot of people will not watch this in 1080. It takes just too much time for Youtube (or worse, Vimeo), to start that stream. 720 is usually as high a quality as I will wait for. So, keep that in mind when you're shooting in the future.

You've done nicely for a start, keep it up.

Peeceeuk
Like?
In reply to thorn-, Dec 12, 2013

Thanks!

Guilty of adding the vignette and setting the colour that way.
I was experimenting not only with the camera but the tools I have access to also. Maybe a little gung ho with them.

The reasoning was that it is kind of a mood setter as the subject matter is a news item. That and I wanted to add something to the live and in the studio thing. I have the straight colour version but this does have a certain feeling about it that was lacking. Or so I felt at least.

The pressing news item was about the logistics of bread delivery believe it or not. Sweden is a tough place ha ha.

Not sure about the change in light from time to time. There is a light going on and off from behind one of the barriers that he is sat in front of. I also noticed some change in brightness somewhere but could not always see it so I do not know what goes on there.

1080p was indulgence. I have it so used it. Point taken though, I am the same as you.
I could always do it in 1080 and then output one to 720 for web purposes. I agree with your points on this for sure.
I aim to get everything as manual as possible including focus. As I learn to control the camera more this way it will hopefully improve.

Appreciate anything that I am being told. Happy with the feedback and duly note the advice.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads