The foliage issue in the dPreview sample of 23/1.4 lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Charles2
Senior MemberPosts: 1,892
Like?
The foliage issue in the dPreview sample of 23/1.4 lens
4 months ago

dPreview posted samples of the Fuji XF 23/1.4 lens on an XE2. One shot in particular provides a good example for evaluating foliage:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/2772736/dscf9886?inalbum=fujifilm-xf-23mm-f1-4r-samples-gallery

The full JPG is 12 MB, more than enough to play with. It was shot at f/5.6. Auto focus appears to be at the center of the frame.

I sharpened at various settings. The branches and twigs take only a little sharpening before halos appear. Their resolution is very good, but it sets a limit on what you can apply to the leaves. Incidentally, most of them are not green, which may help evaluate the X-trans color filter pattern.

So, what do you think of the resolution of the leaves?

Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
justinwonnacott
Regular MemberPosts: 468
Like?
Re: The foliage issue in the dPreview sample of 23/1.4 lens
In reply to Charles2, 4 months ago

I believe you are correct, finely textured yellows are often where this kind of problem becomes apparent and they do not sharpen nicely at all. At the risk of starting an argument (not wanted) this is where a bayer sensor versus xtrans creates a visible difference for me.

BUT to be fair,  the shutter speed was a little slow . . . at 1/150 camera shake and subject movement could definitely have contributed to what you see.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
57LowRider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,084Gear list
Like?

Ummm.... it's a jpg. Is it OOC or PP? If PP, what was the software etc.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,349Gear list
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 4 months ago

57LowRider wrote:

Ummm.... it's a jpg. Is it OOC or PP? If PP, what was the software etc.

I just pulled the sample image into Nik Sharpener Pro3.  Use "color ranges" mode and use the eye dropper to select the leaf color.  30% output sharpening on just the leaves looks pretty good on my not so great work monitor.  I'll have to try it at home on my good display.

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Charles2
Like?
In reply to 57LowRider, 4 months ago

Judging by the Exif, it is a JPG out of camera.

Also, I must correct the size, about 6 MB, not 12.

Bjrn SWE
Regular MemberPosts: 275Gear list
Like?

When looking at the image at 100% (one pixel in camera = one pixel on screen) some of that awful Adobe Camera RAW convertion artifacts show, although this is not a RAW, neither converted. However looking at it at full screen (1200x1920 in my case), I think it looks fine!

Anyone use Fuji X cameras for large, high quality magazine prints (spreads)?

baobob
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,370Gear list
Like?
In reply to justinwonnacott, 4 months ago

The only way to get the correct answer is to develop the RAW file in a good raw developper C1 IR no ACR for foliage

Below is an example of my tree test for foliage debelopped in C17E

Just shows that foliage rendition can be excellent when properly handled

I did the same shot with my 5D2 and ACR with similar results

Only jpegs of foliage are bad OOC

Cheers

bob

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 +7 more
flbrit
Senior MemberPosts: 2,722Gear list
Like?
Sharpening JPG's

You will not get good results when you sharpen a JPG image already pre sharpened for display.

Brian

flbrit's gear list:flbrit's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Nikon D800E Nikon D5200 Fujifilm X-E2 +2 more
Beat Traveller
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?

Charles2 wrote:

dPreview posted samples of the Fuji XF 23/1.4 lens on an XE2. One shot in particular provides a good example for evaluating foliage:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/reviewsamples/photos/2772736/dscf9886?inalbum=fujifilm-xf-23mm-f1-4r-samples-gallery

The full JPG is 12 MB, more than enough to play with. It was shot at f/5.6. Auto focus appears to be at the center of the frame.

I sharpened at various settings. The branches and twigs take only a little sharpening before halos appear. Their resolution is very good, but it sets a limit on what you can apply to the leaves. Incidentally, most of them are not green, which may help evaluate the X-trans color filter pattern.

It's more than fine in this shot.

I used to think the foliage issue was a sensor thing until I reviewed my shots and discovered that I was continually shooting at f8 when I really needed at least f11 to get everything in focus, or I was using a shutter speed too slow to compensate for wind. I reviewed some photos from my Nikon with the same settings and found the same problem...

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Charles2
Like?
In reply to Beat Traveller, 4 months ago

Beat Traveller wrote:

... shooting at f8 when I really needed at least f11 to get everything in focus, or I was using a shutter speed too slow to compensate for wind.

If we look at the auto focus point, presumed to be the center of the frame, any reasonable aperture should be fine. The report praises the lens for resolution from f/4 to f/16.

And yes, we don't know whether there was a breeze.

Beat Traveller
Regular MemberPosts: 306Gear list
Like?

Charles2 wrote:

Beat Traveller wrote:

... shooting at f8 when I really needed at least f11 to get everything in focus, or I was using a shutter speed too slow to compensate for wind.

If we look at the auto focus point, presumed to be the center of the frame, any reasonable aperture should be fine. The report praises the lens for resolution from f/4 to f/16.

And yes, we don't know whether there was a breeze.

Yes, but a lot of photos that have been bandied around to demonstrate the issue, my own included, show problems with foliage outside the center. Just sayin'.

Beat Traveller's gear list:Beat Traveller's gear list
Nikon D60 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
noyo
Contributing MemberPosts: 584Gear list
Like?
Re: The foliage issue is in PP & PP

I sharpened at various settings.

Why would this image need sharpening? If an image is blurred due to lens quality/settings, camera or subject movement, the answer is to fix the shooting issue. Increasing sharpening at Post Processing may, in some cases, partially mitigate the issue but wont actually change the fact if the image is blurred. Most times all that is achieved is over-sharpened blur.

The branches and twigs take only a little sharpening before halos appear. Their resolution is very good, but it sets a limit on what you can apply to the leaves.

Unless I'm looking in the wrong place I'm struggling to see the 'halo' issue that you specify in the untouched original.

IMHO the issue is in the desire to manipulate in Post Processing (PP) and then Pixel Peep (PP?) when the original would be just fine at normal viewing. Halos will appear in any jpeg that is pushed too far. You have correctly identified that there is a limit but this isn't a camera specific issue, it is general to jpeg processing. Due to the nature of jpegs, some will be better and some worse than others. I recently tried to manipulate the jpegs from a friend's high-end Canon DSLR and was amazed at the limitations. There was very little room to do anything with the files. That's the same reason and affirmation as to why I've been shooting RAW for the last 10 years.

You've already said above, 'Their resolution is very good'. Is the resolution of the leaves any different from the static buildings? Now if you wanted to talk about the mushy look of the leaves that would be another topic, but halos on over-sharpened jpegs aren't the classic X Trans 'foliage issue'.

Nobody's mentioned the blue trees. Is the AWB off?

-- hide signature --

Norman Young
www.noyo.co.uk

noyo's gear list:noyo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-M1 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?

justinwonnacott wrote:

fair, the shutter speed was a little slow . . . at 1/150 camera shake and subject movement could definitely have contributed to what you see.

1/150 for 23/1.4 is slow? Are you joking?

Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
Emacs23
Regular MemberPosts: 412Gear list
Like?
In reply to Emacs23, 4 months ago

BTW, you doomed to have foliage issue with xtrans. Or to have even more severe color aliasing problems than with bayer: these problems happen not because of regular bayer structure, but due frequencies mismatch between channels, in places where original picture's frequency is so high neighbor red-green-blue pixels relates to significantly different places on the texture. Xtrans is more problematic here because of even more rare red and blue samplings. For example, I saw pics where iridient, which shows quite good details (still, not as good as better demosaic engines for bayer) provokes huge amount of moire arifacts. So, balanced demosaic for xtrans must show green smearing by its definition.

Emacs23's gear list:Emacs23's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Leica Super-Elmar-M 18mm f/3.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 50mm f/1.4 ASPH +3 more
justinwonnacott
Like?

justinwonnacott wrote:

fair, the shutter speed was a little slow . . . at 1/150 camera shake and subject movement could definitely have contributed to what you see.

No i am not joking ... lots of folks cannot hold a camera really steady at that shutter speed. I wish dpr would use a tripod for lens samples more often.

AustinB
Regular MemberPosts: 380
Like?
In reply to baobob, 4 months ago

Can you post an example of a JPEG with this problem?

Anyone have advice about how to mitigate this, in JPEG?

Sal Baker
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,349Gear list
Like?
In reply to AustinB, 4 months ago

AustinB wrote:

Can you post an example of a JPEG with this problem?

Anyone have advice about how to mitigate this, in JPEG?

One way is detailed in my post below...

Sal

Sal Baker's gear list:Sal Baker's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 350D Fujifilm X-E2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +5 more
Dresdenboy
Regular MemberPosts: 377Gear list
Like?

Charles2 wrote:

Beat Traveller wrote:

Resolution != depth of field. Of course if the reviewer photographs a narrow depth or flat scene (test sheet) there will be good resolution in every corner. But trees usually have a greater depth of field.

BTW in front of the nearest tree's upper stem (at the upper left border) are some leafs showing motion blur. With some wind the ends of twigs usually move and swing the most.

(Image position x: 970px, y: 480px)

Dresdenboy's gear list:Dresdenboy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F10 Zoom Fujifilm FinePix S6000fd Fujifilm FinePix F770EXR Canon EOS 550D Fujifilm X-E1 +3 more
justinwonnacott
Like?

Emacs23 wrote:

justinwonnacott wrote:

Just a further note concerning camera shake . . .the sample was made with an xe2 - no viewfinder which means the camera is not supported in the same way that an eye level viewfinder is. It is more difficult to hold a camera steady when it is held that way compared to say . . .  an x pro 1 or a dslr.  Camera shake is a huge issue when you get down to looking for critical sharpness .

dark13star
Contributing MemberPosts: 761Gear list
Like?

Just a further note concerning camera shake . . .the sample was made with an xe2 - no viewfinder which means the camera is not supported in the same way that an eye level viewfinder is. It is more difficult to hold a camera steady when it is held that way compared to say . . . an x pro 1 or a dslr. Camera shake is a huge issue when you get down to looking for critical sharpness .

The X-E2 has a viewfinder. It is an EVF, not OVF, but it is there and it is quite good. Now that doesn't mean the photographer used it...

Rich

-- hide signature --

"I would be an historian as Herodotus was." -Charles Olson
http://herodot.us

dark13star's gear list:dark13star's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D600 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads