Practicing in my studio.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Adreabri
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Practicing in my studio.
8 months ago

I'm really trying to get more comfortable with a studio setting. At the moment I'm using a small set up typically using natural light. I have a cheap light that I bought off ebay awhile back that I use sometimes. Right now i've just been practicing using my daughter. I do monthly pictures and recently I just took some christmas photos with the idea as presents. Looking for help on improving them

-- hide signature --

~Adrea Bri

Paul Jones
Senior MemberPosts: 2,107
Like?
Re: Practicing in my studio.
In reply to Adreabri, 8 months ago

Adreabri wrote:

I'm really trying to get more comfortable with a studio setting. At the moment I'm using a small set up typically using natural light. I have a cheap light that I bought off ebay awhile back that I use sometimes. Right now i've just been practicing using my daughter. I do monthly pictures and recently I just took some christmas photos with the idea as presents. Looking for help on improving them

-- hide signature --

~Adrea Bri

Hi Adrea

I see that no-one has commented yet on your first post to this forum, so let me welcome you!   

I can imagine the fun you must be having trying to master lighting, portraiture and dealing with a toddler all at the same time. (I have been there and done it myself, with two children).

I think this shot above ^^ is really charming.  Good expression and capture.

Keep practising and enjoying your photography!

Best wishes

Paul
--
Paul Jones
http://www.pauljones.org

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Adreabri
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
In reply to Paul Jones, 8 months ago

Thank you! If anything its harder trying to work with your own children vs others... Somehow i have more patience for others

-- hide signature --

~Adrea Bri

Suntan
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,117
Like?
In reply to Adreabri, 8 months ago

Random thoughts here.

Not a fan of the cropping on the first two. Either body parts are cut off, or are very close to the edge.

The couple with the lights are good attempts, but would probably stand out better with a darker background. A dark gray background would allow the lights to standout better, as well as the pale baby's skin. I do like the color one better than the B&W for this reason.

The last two images have too much modeling light. She looks like a dear in the headlights as her irises are too big. Turn down the modeling lights a bit so more of her pupil balances out.

-Suntan

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads