Shooting high ISO tonight

Started 8 months ago | Questions
BostonCharlie
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?
Shooting high ISO tonight
8 months ago

I plan on going to my granddaughters Christmas program tonight and plan on taking my RX-10. Any suggestions? Will be in a poorly lit auditorium.

Thanks

B.C.

BostonCharlie's gear list:BostonCharlie's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Olympus E-3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 10,695Gear list
Like?
Re: Shooting high ISO tonight
In reply to BostonCharlie, 8 months ago

I plan on going to my granddaughters Christmas program tonight and plan on taking my RX-10. Any suggestions? Will be in a poorly lit auditorium.

Thanks

B.C.

Shooting RAW? (I would advise RAW+JPEG anyway). Chances are you would be fine using ISO 1600 or lower. I would take a few test shots to evaluate the scene requirements and go from there. I would use Aperture Priority with manual ISO, adjusting ISO for shutter speed. Or go manual.

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 5,988Gear list
Like?

BostonCharlie wrote:

Thanks

B.C.

Video/Stills, both?

I have rx100, not RX10. ON rx100

You can get stills from a video later, or, take some stills while you are taking a video.

For Stills.

1. SHUTTER SPEED first priority for me, enough for the motion, (not too much) which is the key to getting sharp images, and also get lowest possible ISO than if you shoot faster than you need..

2. DOF

When I got rx100, I found wide at f1.8, and close, gave too shallow DOF, so I learned to zoom in some which automatically gives smaller A, more DOF. RX10 won't do that.

What I am seeing, from RX10 posts, with constant f2.8, as you zoom, when camera is keeping f2.8, you get pretty shallow DOF, so, you may need to maintain your speed for sharpness, and your A for sufficient DOF.

APERTURE MODE. (exposure will be maintained automatically this method)

This is what I would try I think. Sometimes you will get opportunities where they are not moving much, or, the lighting gets bright enough for a slower shutter speed, better to get you lower ISO. Quick adjustment is needed for this. A mode, front ring ISO. Now you are maintaining your DOF, and adjust ISO for the 'resultant' S for the typical motion involved. A curtain call, they stand relatively still, bright lights, both: rotate ISO, lowering ISO will slow down the shutter, giving a shot with less noise.

SHUTTER MODE (exposure will be maintained automatically this method)

S mode, combined with front ring ISO. You rotate the Front Ring, ISO is shown, and you watch the 'resultant' A change, you stop at the A you want/need, shoot.

MANUAL. (you need to set all 3 exposure values, no Semi-Manual Auto ISO on rx100)

Manual, with the Front Ring set to ISO. Set S and A as needed, and then rotate front ring, ISO changes, you see the exposure change visually in the LCD, and the numbers are shown also. Turn until the exposure is good, shoot. You don't need to watch the ISO, watch the LCD, you get what ISO you get.

I would start using center focus, center metering. Then, for my specific kid, I would go to flexible spot focus.

Continuous shooting. You just let go of the shutter to get single shots. Hold down for continuous.

Focus AF-S or AF-C? What are you used to? I use AF-S, combined with pre-focus shutter button halfway down, follow the kid, wait for something, finish the shot.

Exposure bracketing. This can be a variation of Continuous shooting, 3 shots, pick an exposure later, or, pick best pose/sharpest of the 3 shots, fix the exposure later.

btw, I am very interested to know how good the video and the audio is for this kind of event with RX10.

Please post some, and let us know how far away you were, thanks,

Elliott

BostonCharlie
Junior MemberPosts: 33Gear list
Like?

Thanks for the suggestions. I was planning on using M and A modes. I will also shoot some video and post.

B.C.

BostonCharlie's gear list:BostonCharlie's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Olympus E-3 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +1 more
notime
Contributing MemberPosts: 797
Like?

If I read it correctly,
Based on the Design conversation thread with Sony, it sounds like 1080 30P is the video frame rate you want in low light.

? But I'm not sure how you do that...

lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?
Bad Advice
In reply to notime, 8 months ago

notime wrote:

If I read it correctly,
Based on the Design conversation thread with Sony, it sounds like 1080 30P is the video frame rate you want in low light.

? But I'm not sure how you do that...

I hope you realize that you are advising him to use a frame rate that his camera does not even have available to shoot with.

If you can figure out some magical way to make the RX10 shoot in 1080/30p, please do let all of us RX10 owners know about it.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 2,328Gear list
Like?

As long as you don't plan to do some heavy duty cropping, you should be fine.   I was pleasantly surprised last weekend with just how well shooting in Extra Fine JPG came out at higher ISO settings.

This photo was shot at ISO 2500:

This one at ISO 3200:

This one at ISO 4000:

And this one at ISO 5000:

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads