FZ70 remote ????

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
bob81
Regular MemberPosts: 275
Like?
FZ70 remote ????
4 months ago

Does the FZ70 take a remote release like the FZ100 & FZ200?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
sherman_levine
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,349
Like?
Re: FZ70 remote ????
In reply to bob81, 4 months ago

bob81 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

No

Sherm

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 3,643Gear list
Like?
In reply to sherman_levine, 4 months ago

sherman_levine wrote:

bob81 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

No

Sherm

I do expect any refresh FZ models - be they FZ80 or FZ250/300, etc. - will include the WiFi feature that most of Panasonic's newer models provide.  This includes remote control with live viewfinder from portable devices such as smartphones.

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
bob81
Like?

Thank you.

A  lot of people reccommend using a tripod at the longer ranges, but without a way to remotely take the picture,  the tripod seems  kind of self-defeating.  This just seems like another way for Panasonic to cheap out as a lot of people (probably most ) neve use a remote cable.  I have a shoulder mount for the longer zoom pictures, but I would really need the remote cable capability to use the FZ70 on it.  Oh well, the FZ150 & FZ200 are still with me, but I wanted the FZ70 for the greater range of zoon.  At $249, it seemed like a steal.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

kkardster
Like?

bob81 wrote:

Thank you.

A lot of people reccommend using a tripod at the longer ranges, but without a way to remotely take the picture, the tripod seems kind of self-defeating.

I admit to having trouble at times with stabilization of my FZ200 at 24X so I share your tripod concern for the FZ70 with its double-the-reach and slower lens. I'd become dependent on the self-timer but would lose control of the shutter for many shots.

This just seems like another way for Panasonic to cheap out as a lot of people (probably most ) neve use a remote cable. I have a shoulder mount for the longer zoom pictures, but I would really need the remote cable capability to use the FZ70 on it. Oh well, the FZ150 & FZ200 are still with me, but I wanted the FZ70 for the greater range of zoon. At $249, it seemed like a steal.

Yes - not a bad price. I've been thinking about adding an FZ70 for the reach rather than adding a teleconverter (with its questionable benefit) to my FZ200. That would give me the reach with the additional benefit of an extra camera "body"; but with no remote control and poor shot-to-shot performance, I simply can't justify the FZ70 at this time.

Looks like we're back to sitting on the fence awaiting the FZ250/FZ300...

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

sherman_levine
Like?
In reply to kkardster, 4 months ago

kkardster wrote:

bob81 wrote:

Thank you.

A lot of people reccommend using a tripod at the longer ranges, but without a way to remotely take the picture, the tripod seems kind of self-defeating.

I admit to having trouble at times with stabilization of my FZ200 at 24X so I share your tripod concern for the FZ70 with its double-the-reach and slower lens. I'd become dependent on the self-timer but would lose control of the shutter for many shots.

This just seems like another way for Panasonic to cheap out as a lot of people (probably most ) neve use a remote cable. I have a shoulder mount for the longer zoom pictures, but I would really need the remote cable capability to use the FZ70 on it. Oh well, the FZ150 & FZ200 are still with me, but I wanted the FZ70 for the greater range of zoon. At $249, it seemed like a steal.

Yes - not a bad price. I've been thinking about adding an FZ70 for the reach rather than adding a teleconverter (with its questionable benefit) to my FZ200. That would give me the reach with the additional benefit of an extra camera "body"; but with no remote control and poor shot-to-shot performance, I simply can't justify the FZ70 at this time.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

I've been playing with the FZ70 a bit. Very tempted to keep it with extension tube and E17ED as a  birding (etc) camera and for wider W/A.

The image stabilization is excellent, although they went braindead with the Conv=T feature, limiting zoom to 30x-60x, so you can't find the subject in the finder.  Totally unusable for me.

It's been so cloudy here that I've not been able to get any low ISO shots yet, but here's one sample at full zoom/E17ED - ISO 1250. Raw to JPG using SP5 defaults for the image. No tuning or cropping.

Sherm

kkardster
Like?

sherman_levine wrote:

... here's one sample at full zoom/E17ED - ISO 1250. Raw to JPG using SP5 defaults for the image. No tuning or cropping.

I assume hand-held?

sherman_levine
Like?
In reply to kkardster, 4 months ago

Yes - leaning against a post.

The ones I tossed were limited more by the woodpecker movement than by hand-shake, however.

Sherm

sherman_levine
Like?

sherman_levine wrote:

kkardster wrote:

bob81 wrote:

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Bruce

I've been playing with the FZ70 a bit. Very tempted to keep it with extension tube and E17ED as a birding (etc) camera and for wider W/A.

The image stabilization is excellent, although they went braindead with the Conv=T feature, limiting zoom to 30x-60x, so you can't find the subject in the finder. Totally unusable for me.

It's been so cloudy here that I've not been able to get any low ISO shots yet, but here's one sample at full zoom/E17ED - ISO 1250. Raw to JPG using SP5 defaults for the image. No tuning or cropping.

Sherm

I ran the JPG above thru Neat Image using the "filter and sharpen" settings. I think it's not at all shabby for and ISO 1250 image.

Sherm

myssvictoria
Senior MemberPosts: 2,866Gear list
Like?

Not shabby at all for that ISO, Sherm! I'd like to hear more of your impressions on the combo, maybe a separate thread. I bit on a Lightning Deal FZ70 ($219) on Sunday. Decided to get the 58mm adaptor tube from China so it will be awhile before I can try the FZ70 + Nikon TC.

Too bad about the remote shutter, but a handy person could rig a DIY version. Nothing we can do about the buffer or lack of a focus button on the lens which I use very frequently.

-- hide signature --
 myssvictoria's gear list:myssvictoria's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +8 more
sherman_levine
Like?
In reply to myssvictoria, 4 months ago

myssvictoria wrote:

Not shabby at all for that ISO, Sherm! I'd like to hear more of your impressions on the combo, maybe a separate thread. I bit on a Lightning Deal FZ70 ($219) on Sunday. Decided to get the 58mm adaptor tube from China so it will be awhile before I can try the FZ70 + Nikon TC.

Too bad about the remote shutter, but a handy person could rig a DIY version. Nothing we can do about the buffer or lack of a focus button on the lens which I use very frequently.

-- hide signature --

Vickie,

The DMW-LA8 is available in the US for $50 - it's out of stock at B&H but looks like it's in stock at Adorama.

I was able to get my LA7 clamp to fit on the LA8, even though the latter is just a bit wider.  I don't have any tripod shots, but the few at 1/200 sec on a bright day seemed decent handheld.

Take the FZ70-DMWLA8-E17ED and carry it as a second "far away birds" camera. I think you'll like it for that.

The 3" Flipbac mounts nicely on the LCD (put the right finger just to the right of the battery icon for proper placement) and protects the LCD from trauma and grease.

Sherm

myssvictoria
Like?

sherman_levine wrote:

myssvictoria wrote:

-- hide signature --

Vickie,

The DMW-LA8 is available in the US for $50 - it's out of stock at B&H but looks like it's in stock at Adorama.

I was able to get my LA7 clamp to fit on the LA8, even though the latter is just a bit wider. I don't have any tripod shots, but the few at 1/200 sec on a bright day seemed decent handheld.

Take the FZ70-DMWLA8-E17ED and carry it as a second "far away birds" camera. I think you'll like it for that.

The 3" Flipbac mounts nicely on the LCD (put the right finger just to the right of the battery icon for proper placement) and protects the LCD from trauma and grease.

Sherm

Good to know about the tripod clamp, probably won't fit on the 58mm adaptor, darn. Kenmore Camera has the LA8 in stock according to their website and they are just about a 20 minute drive away. I'll probably get one and report back on the differences. Will have to look at the flipbac.

Yeah, I see it as a second set, the FZ200 still being the primary.

Thanks for all of your generous help, Sherm!

-- hide signature --
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +8 more
sherman_levine
Like?
In reply to myssvictoria, 4 months ago

myssvictoria wrote:

sherman_levine wrote:

myssvictoria wrote:

-- hide signature --

Vickie,

I was able to get my LA7 clamp to fit on the LA8, even though the latter is just a bit wider. I don't have any tripod shots, but the few at 1/200 sec on a bright day seemed decent handheld.

Sherm

Good to know about the tripod clamp, probably won't fit on the 58mm adaptor, darn. Kenmore Camera has the LA8 in stock according to their website and they are just about a 20 minute drive away. I'll probably get one and report back on the differences. Will have to look at the flipbac.

Yeah, I see it as a second set, the FZ200 still being the primary.

Thanks for all of your generous help, Sherm!

-- hide signature --

Vickie,

Not sure I was clear. The tripod clamp was OK for both adapters.

Sherm

myssvictoria
Like?

Vickie,

Not sure I was clear. The tripod clamp was OK for both adapters.

Sherm

Sherm, I think I got it now I was thinking 58mm (knockoff) would be fatter than 55mm (LA8), forgetting the shape of the LA8.

-- hide signature --
bob81
Like?

Sherm, you have some wonderful shots of the woodpeckers.  Are you using your finger or the "self timer" to take the picture?  Thanks again to everyone that has responded.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

sherman_levine
Like?

bob81 wrote:

Sherm, you have some wonderful shots of the woodpeckers. Are you using your finger or the "self timer" to take the picture? Thanks again to everyone that has responded.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

Bob,

That picture was handheld (with my finger on the shutter), however I do tend to lean against something for stability when I can do so.

1/200-1/250 seems pretty safe for handheld bird shots, even with the E17ED telextender. Any slower and the bird movement blurs the picture.  I do not use the "CONV=T" setting because it limits zoom to the 30x-60x range.

In this sort of setting, I put the camera in S mode at 1/200 and use auto ISO.  The camera tends to open the aperture as wide as possible (at full zoom, it's of course fixed at 5.9) and adjust exposure by changing ISO.

Sherm

bob81
Like?

Thank you for all the information.  I just ordered one from Adorama.  Now I have to order the LA8.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

sherman_levine
Like?

bob81 wrote:

Thank you for all the information. I just ordered one from Adorama. Now I have to order the LA8.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Bob(Ma.USA)

I think you'll enjoy it as a "second camera"

If you don't like nose grease on your LCD, pick up a 3" flipbac also

Sherm

csa2
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?
In reply to sherman_levine, 3 months ago

"

"The 3" Flipbac mounts nicely on the LCD"

Although I've followed this site for a very long while, I just joined.  I was most interested in this thread, as I'm a new owner of a FZ70.  I've ordered the 3" Flipbac after reading your post here, so wanted to say Thanks for the information!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads