Using the 75mm prime ...for what type of images?

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
Using the 75mm prime ...for what type of images?
Dec 9, 2013

When I bought the 45mm prime, I had an "aha!" experience with my photos having a refreshing, new perspective.  Whether it be "street" or "around the house," being forced to using my feet for composition was an eye-opener.  Everything I shot came out interesting. Prior to this I was using my FZ200, standing still and zooming a LOT.

I just received the 75mm prime, but I have not been as successful with composition.  It seems too long for "around the house" and for "street," the longer focal length requires a bit more time to set-up and focus.  Not astonishingly long by any means, but certainly not setting a focus zone and snapping away without checking focus first.  (I suppose it is a street lens if I am the stationary one and not moving around.)  Not as many good shots, that is for sure.

Searching the internet, I find photos with this lens and focal length that are portraiture -- but not a lot else.   What type of images do you use your 75mm focal length with most successfully?

I cropped this image a lot.  I don't know how to figure out XX% crop, but I would say it seems like I cropped so it's 2x the original -- so I think it means it is really more of 150mm (300mm EFL) shot and not really a 75mm (150mm EFL) one?

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
yyr
yyr
Senior MemberPosts: 3,335
Like?
Re: Using the 75mm prime ...for what type of images?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, Dec 9, 2013

janeenadamsmartin wrote:

When I bought the 45mm prime, I had an "aha!" experience with my photos having a refreshing, new perspective. Whether it be "street" or "around the house," being forced to using my feet for composition was an eye-opener. Everything I shot came out interesting. Prior to this I was using my FZ200, standing still and zooming a LOT.

I just received the 75mm prime, but I have not been as successful with composition. It seems too long for "around the house" and for "street," the longer focal length requires a bit more time to set-up and focus. Not astonishingly long by any means, but certainly not setting a focus zone and snapping away without checking focus first. (I suppose it is a street lens if I am the stationary one and not moving around.) Not as many good shots, that is for sure.

Searching the internet, I find photos with this lens and focal length that are portraiture -- but not a lot else. What type of images do you use your 75mm focal length with most successfully?

I cropped this image a lot. I don't know how to figure out XX% crop, but I would say it seems like I cropped so it's 2x the original -- so I think it means it is really more of 150mm (300mm EFL) shot and not really a 75mm (150mm EFL) one?

I read this post and had to sit and ponder your photo. I love the 75mm and use it for all sorts of things but composition is completely different to what you would do with a wide angle lens. This composition above looks very much like the sort you would use with a 12/14/17 mm lens but compressed into a much longer FOV. I find that for landscape with the 75mm it's for picking out the detail in a scene - almost like painting a minature. It's my favourite lens.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,446Gear list
Like?

My primary use for the 75 is for candid portraits of friends and family at various holidays and get-togethers. Some people think it's too long for this, but I love it and use it even at pretty close quarters for intimate head-shots. Since I got it, I almost never used, and subsequently sold, the 45mm.

I don't often use it as a walk around lens, but I have, and it was also the only lens longer than a 35mm equivalent that I took to Italy for a month in July. So I've used it for some other stuff as well, generally when I'm going for compression or just a bit of reach. A bit of street shooting, concerts, parades, just basic short telephoto, etc. Here are a few of mine, but I've seen other folks who have gotten far more creative with it...

Street shots, although I'm much more comfortable up closer with a wide lens...

Parades

It works well for concerts as well.

Shots with compression

As I say, I've seen some really creative uses of this lens, and I'm doing pretty straight-forward work with it. But it's one of my favorite lenses and I can't see ever letting it go. Even if I just captured great family memories with it, as I have done at the last couple of Thanksgivings, last Christmas, some this past summer, etc. I also have a Panasonic 35-100 f2.8 and thought that might serve the same functions, but with greater versatility, but the extra stop and a third or so and the amazing clarity of the 75 still make it the go-to lens for this general length. I'm going to see how much I end up shooting with the 35-100 and I may or may not end up keeping it. But I'm definitely keeping the less versatile but amazing 75mm.

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,099Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ray Sachs, Dec 9, 2013

Do you find the 75mm lens better than the Sigma 60? I already have the Sigma...

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +7 more
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,476Gear list
Like?

I use it for portraits, landscapes, etc.  I've found that there is no one right lens for a certain situation.

I've used fisheyes to 400mm teles for portraits and landscapes on my FX gear and I do the same with my m43 gear.

- John

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 +20 more
Ray Sachs
Senior MemberPosts: 9,446Gear list
Like?
In reply to Enir4, Dec 9, 2013

Enir4 wrote:

Do you find the 75mm lens better than the Sigma 60? I already have the Sigma...

Enrique

I've never used the Sigma, so I can't comment directly. But I do have the Pany 35-100 and have used the Olympus 60mm, and I can tell you that for the type of shooting I do at this sort of focal length, the extra stop and a third or so makes a big difference. I tend to do a lot of low light candids with this lens, and f1.8 is just a lot more effective than f2.8, allowing a more than doubling of the shutter speed in situations where getting a fast enough shutter speed can be very challenging. The 75mm is also astoundingly clear and sharp - I'm not a pixel peeper, but even I can readily see the difference with this lens.

All of that said, the Sigma 60 is clearly a real value at $240. And if it's fast enough for you, you might be better off sitting tight with it...

-Ray
--------------------------------------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20889767@N05/

horsth
Regular MemberPosts: 195Gear list
Like?

This is best lens currently for indoor sports (handball, basket-ball etc.) from the tribune.

Greetings

horsth's gear list:horsth's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Fujifilm X20 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +7 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?

Pictures of animals:

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,635Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Dec 9, 2013

And of rust.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
janeenadamsmartin
Contributing MemberPosts: 623Gear list
Like?
In reply to yyr, Dec 9, 2013

Your comment intrigues me.  If I understand correctly, you might have made the composition less "landscape" and focus on detail, perhaps a single railroad tie and rail?

jan

janeenadamsmartin's gear list:janeenadamsmartin's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Cane
Senior MemberPosts: 4,675
Like?

Great for portraits as an undercover detective. Not so great if you want to be involved with south you are shooting.

bcalkins
Regular MemberPosts: 354Gear list
Like?

Here is a set of 75mm images I have up on Flickr:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/shuswapheroshot/sets/72157631663770324/

Seems mostly for people, but also not shown in my set is sports - I use it quite a bit cropped down. I'd rather shoot at f/2 and ISO 1600 than use a longer lens uncropped at f/4 and ISO 6400 or worse:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-XU8hsaYzs5U/URsLuKEbAWI/AAAAAAAAJ_c/QOcVnQepzIs/s1600/20Sam.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-FC5M33Bt6VE/URsLv1xVFdI/AAAAAAAAJ_o/Vfl37aMMfHA/s1600/20130209-_OMD0958.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-sVQdwMQpBME/URsLtrC6PII/AAAAAAAAJ_U/lLNcjF4a0os/s1600/15Max+(2).jpg

bcalkins's gear list:bcalkins's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +5 more
Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,099Gear list
Like?
In reply to bcalkins, Dec 9, 2013

I find "Standing by" a glorious photo. Thank you for posting.

Enrique

PS. "Toddler on dock" is not bad either.

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +7 more
Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,568Gear list
Like?
Perspective in your mind's eye

You're used to a range of fields of view, and this one is a bit different. And that can be an adjustment. You would have to get used to looking at your surroundings with a different 'eye' to them - look at things closer up, or farther off than you're used to noticing, when assessing where the photo-ops are hiding.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
yyr
yyr
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, Dec 10, 2013

janeenadamsmartin wrote:

Your comment intrigues me. If I understand correctly, you might have made the composition less "landscape" and focus on detail, perhaps a single railroad tie and rail?

jan

No - not at all, I didn't explain what I meant very well. When you compose with a wide or normal FL you probably are experienced in how you compose that sort of scene. With this longer FL you have to compose it differently - it's not just a question of composing the same kind of scene in a tighter frame, it's about composing a different kind of scene.  I think Bob said it well a few posts down - you have to see the scene with a different 'eye'.  I have the problem in reverse, I love shooting this lens and I love that it gets me up close. I'm trying to move myself into a wider space but I have to learn to see things differently.

The picture below is an example of what I'm (rather inadequately) trying to say. I'm afraid the light was pretty awful so it's not a great picture but it demonstrates a different kind of composition.

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Chuck Eklund
Contributing MemberPosts: 509Gear list
Like?
Re: Perspective in your mind's eye
In reply to Bob Tullis, Dec 10, 2013

I am always a little surprised at how flexible the 75mm is. It seems that I have always had something exactly like or close to the traditional 35mm 135mm lens, but this lens, for me, seems to invite a wider range of usage.

EM5, 1/25, f2.8, ISO 1600

EM5, 1/1250, f1.8, ISO 1250

EM1, 1/320, f3.2, ISO 800

Chuck Eklund's gear list:Chuck Eklund's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Peng Bian
Contributing MemberPosts: 604Gear list
Like?
In reply to janeenadamsmartin, Dec 10, 2013

Anything indoors where there's a good distance between you and the subject.

-- hide signature --
 Peng Bian's gear list:Peng Bian's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
yyr
yyr
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Dec 10, 2013

Ulric wrote:

Pictures of animals:

These made me laugh out loud!! They're animal portraits. Lovely shots though

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

s_grins
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,086Gear list
Like?
In reply to yyr, Dec 10, 2013

I Like them all, and squirrel in particular

-- hide signature --

Looking for equilibrium...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN | Art Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS +2 more
yyr
yyr
Like?
it's a great lens for....
In reply to Ulric, Dec 10, 2013

Chickens!

-- hide signature --

Yaelle

Keyboard shortcuts: