Would you pay for a premium 50mm f/1.8?

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Polls
paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090Gear list
Like?
Would you pay for a premium 50mm f/1.8?
Dec 9, 2013

Apparently, one of the persistent rumors in Canon-land is that they are preparing to discontinue their 50mm f/1.4 lens and replace it with a new, premium offering at 50mm 1.8, with IS (VR).

Presumably, people with deep pockets would still be allowed to shell out the big bucks for a 50mm f/1.2, and it appears their current, cheap 50mm f/1.8 would remain available.

Canon have been replacing their fast-ish primes recently with sharp, image stabilized revisions that are considerably more expensive than the lenses they are replacing but, apparently, with performance to match - sharp wide open, etc.

Would a premium 50mm f/18 VR interest you in the Nikon mount? And how much would you be willing to pay for an optically excellent, semi-fast, stabilized 50?

As a point of reference, the current 50mm lineup runs ~$200 (1.8), ~$400 (1.4), ~700 (1.2 MF), and ~1,700 (50mm 1.4). None have VR.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
POLL
Yes, for under $300
11.6% 5  votes
Yes, for under $500
27.9% 12  votes
Yes, for under $1,000
11.6% 5  votes
No; current 50mm offerings are fine
46.5% 20  votes
No; I'm not a fan of primes and/or 50mm focal length
2.3% 1  vote
  Show results
hajagosb
Regular MemberPosts: 205Gear list
Like?
Re: Would you pay for a premium 50mm f/1.8?
In reply to paulski66, Dec 9, 2013

I would only go for it if it would be sharper than what they they have. Let's say it should compare with the Sigma 35 or Nikon 85.

hajagosb's gear list:hajagosb's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
bigconig
Contributing MemberPosts: 640Gear list
Like?
In reply to hajagosb, Dec 9, 2013

I'm very happy with the current 50 1.8G. No interest on VR in a wide/regular fast prime. If it would help with my  composition I might bite though....

-- hide signature --
 bigconig's gear list:bigconig's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 24mm f/2.8D +10 more
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
In reply to paulski66, 11 months ago

I would not have any interest in a premium version of this lens. I currently use the 50mm 1.8G SE with my Df. This lens has performed extremely well. I considered adding the 58 mm lens, but given its high cost and small performance gain, I will not buy it at this time. Spending a large amount on either a premium 50mm or the existing 58mm would be a very low priority because the funding could be used more appropriately for other, more useful equipment. Also, VR would not help me at all. With the Df I can raise the ISO setting quite high and have no worries about noise or shutter speed.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
Kittenrainbow
New MemberPosts: 6
Like?

If they came out with a 50mm 1.8G with something like a Nano Crystal Coated version at a reasonable price; I would consider it. Not that the 50mm 1.8G has any flare or ghosting issues, but the colors and contrast would be very welcoming.

PSCL1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,292Gear list
Like?

A 50mm f1.7, f1.8, or even f2 lens is one of the easiest lenses to design.  The quality of nearly every lens produced by every manufacturer since the late 1950s has been very good to excellent.  There is absolutely no need or reason to pay ridiculous sums for this focal length and speed.

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
chris102
Senior MemberPosts: 1,399Gear list
Like?

I voted "less then $300". I would pay as much as $549.95 (and not a penny more) if the lens could focus to 1:2.5 or better.

-- hide signature --
 chris102's gear list:chris102's gear list
Lytro Light Field 8GB +3 more
anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,142
Like?

Depends on the definition of premium. While the 58/1.4 renders people like a dream, I wasn't impressed enough with it's landscape distance performance to think it worth the price, and thus it's not a lens for me. However, if Nikon were to come out with a Nano coated, very well corrected, sharp corner to corner (and I mean REALLY sharp) with good microcontrast, and the sharpness  occurred around F/5.6 and higher at long distance, I'd go a grand on such a lens. Basically such a lens already exists, but in manual focus - the Zeiss 50/2 Makro Planar.

This all being said, I'm going to be very interested in the new Sigma 50 art when it comes out, for sure...

-m

paulski66
Senior MemberPosts: 2,090Gear list
Like?
In reply to PSCL1, 11 months ago

PSCL1 wrote:

A 50mm f1.7, f1.8, or even f2 lens is one of the easiest lenses to design. The quality of nearly every lens produced by every manufacturer since the late 1950s has been very good to excellent. There is absolutely no need or reason to pay ridiculous sums for this focal length and speed.

I somewhat disagree. Very good, yes. Excellent...not so much.

I personally find the 50mm f/1.8g a good step down in IQ - especially wide open - from the 85mm f/1.8g. It's a very good lens, but does not hit it out of the park. I'm one of those rare people who loves the focal length, so I would definitely pay a premium for such a lens.

Like anotherMike, I too am looking forward to the Sigma. The performance of their 35mm f/1.4 ART in a 50mm f/1.4 would be perfect.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +6 more
Stujomo
Contributing MemberPosts: 980
Like?

Personaly I would like to see Nikon come out with a manual focus screen for the D800 and a new 50mm f2 that is decently sharp with great micro contrast.

Dan_168
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,045
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

Would a premium 50mm f/18 VR interest you in the Nikon mount? And how much would you be willing to pay for an optically excellent, semi-fast, stabilized 50

Not at all, however, I will jump into a 50 f1.2 if that is better than my AIS 50 1.2, mainly the 1.2 performance. I will pay "big bucks" for such lens, being a dual system user and have few Canon 1.2 lenses, my AIS 50 f1.2 is a joke at F1.2 in comparison, however it's extremely sharp 2.0 lens, every bit as sharp as my Zeiss 50 f2.0 ZE, so I mainly use it as a landscape lens, would love to have a decent 1.2 lens for my Nikon system too.

coudet
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

Would a premium 50mm f/18 VR interest you in the Nikon mount?

Of course not.

And how much would you be willing to pay for an optically excellent, semi-fast, stabilized 50?

Exactly $0.

I would buy a premium 50/1.4. It's good that manufacturers finally woke up and tried to make a first-ever quality, fast normal in F-mount, with Zeiss 55/1.4 looking like a clear winner. Interested to see what Sigma does with their new 50/1.4, hopefully it will be nothing like their previous one.

Daniel Bliss
Senior MemberPosts: 1,690Gear list
Like?
In reply to Stujomo, 11 months ago

Or even just a better ground glass.  The current focusing screen in the D800 is truly "special."  As in remedial.  It's not easy to make a focusing screen that is both dim AND difficult to focus in good light.  But Nikon did it.

Give me one of the Minolta Acute-Matte screens from the 1980s.  Those things were equally rare but in a good way -- bright, but they still had that "snap" into focus that you usually get with a coarse ground glass.

slimandy
Forum ProPosts: 14,656Gear list
Like?

I've never used a 50mm and though it lacked VR.

-- hide signature --

www.andrewsandersphotography.co.uk

slimandy's gear list:slimandy's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 +1 more
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,671Gear list
Like?

paulski66 wrote:

PSCL1 wrote:

A 50mm f1.7, f1.8, or even f2 lens is one of the easiest lenses to design. The quality of nearly every lens produced by every manufacturer since the late 1950s has been very good to excellent. There is absolutely no need or reason to pay ridiculous sums for this focal length and speed.

I somewhat disagree. Very good, yes. Excellent...not so much.

I personally find the 50mm f/1.8g a good step down in IQ - especially wide open - from the 85mm f/1.8g. It's a very good lens, but does not hit it out of the park.

That's what I saw as well. Maybe I am just spoiled by the IQ of the 85 f1.8G?

I'm one of those rare people who loves the focal length, so I would definitely pay a premium for such a lens.

I'm a fan of "normal" lenses too but the 58 is simply too high a price to stomach for me. Borders on abusive pricing IMHO.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads