S100 Neck strap

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
Regatta
Regular MemberPosts: 252
Like?
S100 Neck strap
8 months ago

Does anyone use a neck strap on the S100 and where can I purchase one?

seri_art
Senior MemberPosts: 2,111Gear list
Like?
Re: S100 Neck strap
In reply to Regatta, 8 months ago

You may not get many replies to your question because most people buy the S100 for its small size which means no need to carry it on a neck strap.

seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Regatta
Like?
In reply to seri_art, 8 months ago

I understand what yo mean.  I want to carry it around my neck, under my jacket or sweatshirt so it is always ready.  I don't like pulling it out of my pocket, looping my wrist through the strap, I' would rather just pull it up and shoot. This way it will free up my hands until I'm ready to shoot.

seri_art
Senior MemberPosts: 2,111Gear list
Like?

I don't use a wrist strap. Just keep it in a pocket and take it out and shoot.

Regatta wrote:

I understand what yo mean. I want to carry it around my neck, under my jacket or sweatshirt so it is always ready. I don't like pulling it out of my pocket, looping my wrist through the strap, I' would rather just pull it up and shoot. This way it will free up my hands until I'm ready to shoot.

seri_art's gear list:seri_art's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100
Zindanfel
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,229
Like?

Regatta wrote:

Does anyone use a neck strap on the S100 and where can I purchase one?

Are you near a Goodwill store? Some of the old film P&S had longish straps. I'm using one on my Fuji XF1. It's 19 inches long from the camera to the end of the loop. It's flat braided soft nylon same as many wrist straps, and has a cinch-up slider with "Pentax" molded into the slider. Same type of small-loop camera attachment as any small P&S. Charcoal gray color.

It's long enough to use either as a neck strap, or just as a wrist strap in order to have your hand more free with the camera in a pocket.

Dig around in the old film camera bins; you'll find something.

-- hide signature --

Zin

guamy
Junior MemberPosts: 45
Like?
In reply to Zindanfel, 8 months ago

My s100 neck straps help shooting more stable and shake free by holding the camera far enough to have the strap tensioned.

ericN2
Forum ProPosts: 14,770Gear list
Like?

Regatta wrote:

I understand what yo mean. I want to carry it around my neck, under my jacket or sweatshirt so it is always ready. I don't like pulling it out of my pocket, looping my wrist through the strap, I' would rather just pull it up and shoot. This way it will free up my hands until I'm ready to shoot.

That I understand absolutely exactly - in fact it's the very first time I think I've come across anybody who has this same thought that I've used for MANY years with small cameras. I carry my camera (whichever I've used over many years), on a single corded neck type which has an unscrewable bullet-type end piece - the latter can unscrew and from it is a short loop of cord which is attached to just a single point on camera. This way I carry my camera around my neck.. under my coat or jacket when not in use..BOTH hands free at all times normally but the camera can always be made ready for use in a moment, when needed.
The end cord (to camera point) usually comes on these as a quite short thin cord which is perfectly OK for most if not all pure compact type cameras but I used it once to carry an M4/3's camera and alas that was just a bit too heavy and the cord broke...that taught me a lesson... I went to a local shop and bought a length of fishing line .. the type which is guaranteed to carry up to a minimum of 10lbs weight (FAR more than any camera other than a dSLR) and that is now a very secure and safe carrying loop for most certainly any small camera. This is a sample of the kind of cord I mean...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7dayshop-Neck-Strap-Cord-Lanyard-Silver-For-Mobile-Phones-Cameras-etc-/261090928759?pt=UK_Strap_Charms&hash=item3cca3b6877

I've seen another like it on Ebay and probably they can be found on that site in many areas.. however if not..go to any local shop or Market that sells such as small phones (iPhone type and others) and where they have such as carry cases for those and in my local Town anyway I can always buy these at one or other such phone accessory places.
This is one of them attached to my RX-100.. as a further example. The short greenish end is the fishing line section ..

-- hide signature --

/ericn2
Staffordshire, UK

Regatta
Like?
In reply to guamy, 8 months ago

Where did you get your neck strap?

I saw a neck strap on youtube that I think I am going to order.  Here is the information that I got in case anyone else is interested.  Joby gorillapod Micro OP/Tech strap prod

OP/TECH USA 2201021  it sells for $12.95 at B&H

Also I saw a pretty neat tripod on the same video.  Joby Gorilla Pod Micro 250.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads