My findings about K3

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
JimBim Regular Member • Posts: 221
My findings about K3

It's time to upgrade my K20. There are a lot of opinions on the web, so I decided to visit a local camera store and test myself. I assume, that all cameras below ISO 1600 are doing well. So my starting point was ISO 1600. I need a camera for dog shows (I'm running website for dogs) to shoot inside and landscape, holiday outside.

I tested cameras inside the camera store. There is no day light, only fluorescent light. WB was on Auto, AV mode, lens FA50, aperture 2.8, SR ON, hand held. I tested four cameras: my old K20, K01, K3 and Nikon D610. For my surprise all Pentax cameras were not able to adjust right white balance (I tried Nikon 610 and there was no problem with WB). All shoots were underexposed. I found, that output from K01 was better as from K3! I think this camera is good option for my holidays.

Audrius

PS Sorry for my english 

There are my results (ISO 1600):

K20

K01

K3

D610 (Cropped)

 JimBim's gear list:JimBim's gear list
Pentax *ist DL Pentax K20D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +3 more
Nikon D610 Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 34,235
Re: My findings about K3

The funny thing is Nikon used to be horrible with auto WB in tungsten lighting, did you set the tungsten correction to subtle or strong?

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

JimBim OP Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: My findings about K3

Mike, I don't know Nikon, so I asked a guy from camera store to set WB it to Auto.

 JimBim's gear list:JimBim's gear list
Pentax *ist DL Pentax K20D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +3 more
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 1,806
Re: My findings about K3

JimBim wrote:

It's time to upgrade my K20. There are a lot of opinions on the web, so I decided to visit a local camera store and test myself. I assume, that all cameras below ISO 1600 are doing well. So my starting point was ISO 1600. I need a camera for dog shows (I'm running website for dogs) to shoot inside and landscape, holiday outside.

I tested cameras inside the camera store. There is no day light, only fluorescent light. WB was on Auto, AV mode, lens FA50, aperture 2.8, SR ON, hand held. I tested four cameras: my old K20, K01, K3 and Nikon D610. For my surprise all Pentax cameras were not able to adjust right white balance (I tried Nikon 610 and there was no problem with WB). All shoots were underexposed. I found, that output from K01 was better as from K3! I think this camera is good option for my holidays.

Audrius

PS Sorry for my english

There are my results (ISO 1600):

K20

K01

K3

D610 (Cropped)

Thanks for sharing.  Do you recall the real color of the Mitsubishi photo printer?  Red or orange?

 Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T10 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
FrancW Regular Member • Posts: 202
Re: My findings about K3

Jim in Hudson wrote:

Thanks for sharing. Do you recall the real color of the Mitsubishi photo printer? Red or orange?

I rather would like to now on what the metering was set. That makes a difference as well

-- hide signature --
 FrancW's gear list:FrancW's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-3 Pentax K-1
JimBim OP Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: My findings about K3

The color of the printer was red (like in Nikon picture); Multi-segment metering mode.

 JimBim's gear list:JimBim's gear list
Pentax *ist DL Pentax K20D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +3 more
Kaso Senior Member • Posts: 2,588
Re: My findings about K3
2

My "low tech" eyes vote for the K-01 image first, then the Nikon D610 image. 

Richard Smals
Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,781
Re: My findings about K3

The K-3 has a custom setting to correct tungsten light: Strong or subtle. When auto WB used this is of huge influance. Candlelight ambiance vs cool look.

-- hide signature --

Bye4now
http://members.home.nl/rsmals/DPR/Me.jpg
http://www.indots.nl
I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

VaLeX Senior Member • Posts: 1,067
Re: My findings about K3

Starting even with K100D, and K10D after it, white balance in low, yellow light has been a problem with Pentax.

Nice to see they're persevering with this "ethos". (as the phrase was made famous in this review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K10D/K10DA.HTM )

-- hide signature --

Comments, criticism, suggestions: it goes without saying!
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/huzururmuz/

 VaLeX's gear list:VaLeX's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited
Cane Senior Member • Posts: 6,900
Re: My findings about K3

Richard Smals wrote:

The K-3 has a custom setting to correct tungsten light: Strong or subtle. When auto WB used this is of huge influance. Candlelight ambiance vs cool look.

-- hide signature --

Bye4now
http://members.home.nl/rsmals/DPR/Me.jpg
http://www.indots.nl
I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

He said there was only fluorescent light, folks.

rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 3,896
Re: My findings about K3
1

Not sure what to make of of your test to be honest.  The Nikon is over-exposed IMO by 1/3EV compared to K-01, which is underexposed by 1/3EV (pretty typical of Pentax) at same speed and aperture.  The K-03 metered even lower for some reason, but WB balance is pretty much consistent with K-01, just darker image. The K20 ISO is obviously not accurate (and I wonder about the Nikon also but I am surprised since Nikon's ISO values usually tend to be over stated, but it would almost seem the reverse here).

If WB is a concern, you shouldn't shoot Auto WB to begin with.  If it's really a concern, you should us Manual WB.  Different makers make different assumptions about what the "right" WB ought to look like.  Pentax chose to have a warmer artificial light.  This is neither right nor wrong, just a different taste setting.

-- hide signature --

Roger

 rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
rogerstpierre Veteran Member • Posts: 3,896
Re: My findings about K3

VaLeX wrote:

Starting even with K100D, and K10D after it, white balance in low, yellow light has been a problem with Pentax.

Nice to see they're persevering with this "ethos". (as the phrase was made famous in this review:
http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/K10D/K10DA.HTM )

-- hide signature --

Comments, criticism, suggestions: it goes without saying!
http://s86.photobucket.com/albums/k107/huzururmuz/

Notwithstaning that the OP reports fluorsecent light in these tests, which seem strange given the yellow cast, yellow light is not a "problem" with Pentax. Pentax choose to correct Thungsten light on the warm side to preserve the feel of the scene under Auto WB.  Turning everything to pure Daylight white under Auto WB is wrong, as this isn't what you're seeing.  Auto WB in theory attempts to replicate the light as your eyes see it. If/when you apply the appropriate WB setting, Pentax handling of WB is quite good actually compared to many.  The last thing I want, is my Sunset photos to turn out as if it was noon time !

-- hide signature --

Roger

 rogerstpierre's gear list:rogerstpierre's gear list
Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax Optio 33WR Samsung TL500 Pentax K10D Pentax K-01 +18 more
Bruce Trail Hiker Senior Member • Posts: 1,471
Re: My findings about K3

Jim in Hudson wrote:

The Nikon 610 render the printer Orange! And Jim recall that the printer is Red!

JimBim wrote:

It's time to upgrade my K20. There are a lot of opinions on the web, so I decided to visit a local camera store and test myself. I assume, that all cameras below ISO 1600 are doing well. So my starting point was ISO 1600. I need a camera for dog shows (I'm running website for dogs) to shoot inside and landscape, holiday outside.

I tested cameras inside the camera store. There is no day light, only fluorescent light. WB was on Auto, AV mode, lens FA50, aperture 2.8, SR ON, hand held. I tested four cameras: my old K20, K01, K3 and Nikon D610. For my surprise all Pentax cameras were not able to adjust right white balance (I tried Nikon 610 and there was no problem with WB). All shoots were underexposed. I found, that output from K01 was better as from K3! I think this camera is good option for my holidays.

Audrius

PS Sorry for my english

There are my results (ISO 1600):

K20

K01

K3

D610 (Cropped)

Thanks for sharing. Do you recall the real color of the Mitsubishi photo printer? Red or orange?

 Bruce Trail Hiker's gear list:Bruce Trail Hiker's gear list
Pentax K-3
Robgo2 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,667
Re: My findings about K3

Someone needs to point out the obvious fact that all of the Pentax pics are underexposed, the K-3 most of all. I think that explains why the latter's output looks to be the worst. Still, I am not surprised that the FF Nikon's looks best. It should at that ISO.

Rob

Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 1,806
Re: My findings about K3

Bruce Trail Hiker wrote:

Jim in Hudson wrote:

The Nikon 610 render the printer Orange! And Jim recall that the printer is Red!

JimBim wrote:

It's time to upgrade my K20. There are a lot of opinions on the web, so I decided to visit a local camera store and test myself. I assume, that all cameras below ISO 1600 are doing well. So my starting point was ISO 1600. I need a camera for dog shows (I'm running website for dogs) to shoot inside and landscape, holiday outside.

I tested cameras inside the camera store. There is no day light, only fluorescent light. WB was on Auto, AV mode, lens FA50, aperture 2.8, SR ON, hand held. I tested four cameras: my old K20, K01, K3 and Nikon D610. For my surprise all Pentax cameras were not able to adjust right white balance (I tried Nikon 610 and there was no problem with WB). All shoots were underexposed. I found, that output from K01 was better as from K3! I think this camera is good option for my holidays.

Audrius

PS Sorry for my english

There are my results (ISO 1600):

K20

K01

K3

D610 (Cropped)

Thanks for sharing. Do you recall the real color of the Mitsubishi photo printer? Red or orange?

Regardless as whether it's described as orange or red, the OP I think is claiming the D610 image we see here is closest to how he remembers the printer to actually look.

 Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T10 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 17-70mm F4.0 AL (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
JimBim OP Regular Member • Posts: 221
Re: My findings about K3

To be precise the color of the printer is a little bit darker as in Nikon shoot, but not as dark as in Pentax pictures in reality. I think all pictures from Pentax are underexposed, because Pentax cameras are not able to find right WB (the calendar on a shelf must be white) and it influence an exposure. I don't know, might be it happens only under fluorescent light.

 JimBim's gear list:JimBim's gear list
Pentax *ist DL Pentax K20D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +3 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 34,235
Re: My findings about K3

My question about tungsten correction was related to the Pentax

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?sort_order=views%20DESC&first_this_page=0&page_limit=180&&emailsearch=mighty_mike88%40hotmail.com&thumbnails=

Richard Smals
Richard Smals Senior Member • Posts: 1,781
Re: My findings about K3

Cane wrote:

Richard Smals wrote:

The K-3 has a custom setting to correct tungsten light: Strong or subtle. When auto WB used this is of huge influance. Candlelight ambiance vs cool look.

-- hide signature --

Bye4now
http://members.home.nl/rsmals/DPR/Me.jpg
http://www.indots.nl
I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

He said there was only fluorescent light, folks.

Yes but the setting mentioned has also influance on 4000/4500 Kelvin lights not only on 3200 Kelvin or lower.

-- hide signature --

Bye4now
http://members.home.nl/rsmals/DPR/Me.jpg
http://www.indots.nl
I have the deepest respect for all those people who like me.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads