Exposure Bracketing with 70D

Started Dec 9, 2013 | Discussions
Peter Marchant
Regular MemberPosts: 290Gear list
Like?
Exposure Bracketing with 70D
Dec 9, 2013

Can anyone explain why it seems to be almost impossible to achieve Exposure Bracketing with a single press of the shutter release?

If one has chosen to do exposure bracketing, it seems daft to have to remember to press the button 3 times. Why is it not like HDR where a single press take the 3 shots immediately?

I’ve only found one way to achieve 3 bracketed shots with a single press, and that’s by engaging the 2 second delay. Seems a convoluted way to do a simple job! I can’t think of any reason why someone would want to press the button 3 times, rather than once. It’s easy to forget that bracketing is engaged, so the second (single press) shot will be under-exposed and the third one over-exposed if bracketing is not self-cancelling.

Maybe I’ve overlooked something?

Thanks

Peter

PS I presume the same goes for White Balance bracketing - Surely the 3 shots should be taken immediately the button is pressed?

Peter Marchant's gear list:Peter Marchant's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +7 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Droppingin
Senior MemberPosts: 1,311Gear list
Like?
Re: Exposure Bracketing with 70D
In reply to Peter Marchant, Dec 9, 2013

I have not shot bracketed in a while but that is the way my other Canons work. I guess they should make it selectable to auto shoot three times or manual.

-- hide signature --

Its easy to be a holy man on a mountain top.

Droppingin's gear list:Droppingin's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
tr573
Contributing MemberPosts: 515
Like?
In reply to Droppingin, Dec 9, 2013

You can do it by putting the camera in continuous drive also (and of the continuous modes, high speed, low speed, silent) and holding the shutter button.  It will stop shooting frames after the 3 bracketed shots automatically.

Jerry-astro
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,383Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Marchant, Dec 9, 2013

Try shooting in rapid fire mode.  If it works anything like my 7D, it will fire off the requisite number of shots to complete bracketing automatically at full speed as you hold the button down.

Peter Marchant wrote:

Can anyone explain why it seems to be almost impossible to achieve Exposure Bracketing with a single press of the shutter release?

If one has chosen to do exposure bracketing, it seems daft to have to remember to press the button 3 times. Why is it not like HDR where a single press take the 3 shots immediately?

I’ve only found one way to achieve 3 bracketed shots with a single press, and that’s by engaging the 2 second delay. Seems a convoluted way to do a simple job! I can’t think of any reason why someone would want to press the button 3 times, rather than once. It’s easy to forget that bracketing is engaged, so the second (single press) shot will be under-exposed and the third one over-exposed if bracketing is not self-cancelling.

Maybe I’ve overlooked something?

Thanks

Peter

PS I presume the same goes for White Balance bracketing - Surely the 3 shots should be taken immediately the button is pressed?

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12
snofox
Regular MemberPosts: 226Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jerry-astro, Dec 10, 2013

Use the two second delay and use Live View to flip up and lock the mirror before you press the shutter. That way you will have no problems aligning your images in post and all your shots will be taken with just one shutter press. Canon, in their infinite wisdom, got this feature right in my opinion (well, except you can't take 5 bracketed shots or more without working a fiddle... I do wish they would fix THAT).

snofox's gear list:snofox's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +5 more
CanonMinolta13
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to Peter Marchant, 3 months ago

I just moved up from a Canon Rebel XS, which also has AEB.  The XS allows you to set the AEB.  It will then take three photos in succession, without having to press the shutter three times.  You need to keep the camera still while the three images are taken, of course.

It seems really odd that Canon would require you to press the shutter three times manually on the 70D, especially given that it is not clearly explained in the manual (at least not clearly to me).

CanonMinolta13's gear list:CanonMinolta13's gear list
Canon EOS 70D
Mark B.
Forum ProPosts: 15,445Gear list
Like?
Oops - 9 month old thread...

Simple - just put it in continuous high-speed drive.

Mark

Edit...just realized the thread is 9 months old!  Sorry.  Hopefully the OP has got this sorted out by now lol.

Peter Marchant
Like?
Re: Oops - 9 month old thread...
In reply to Mark B., 3 months ago

Mark B. wrote:

Mark

Edit...just realized the thread is 9 months old! Sorry. Hopefully the OP has got this sorted out by now lol.

OP here - I don't often use bracketing and I never use high speed drive.  My question was (should be addressed to Canon really) why doesn't bracketing anticipate that the user needs to take 3 (or selected number)  shots?  In my view, once bracketing is selected, a single press of the release should ALWAYS take the 3 shots.

As I earlier noted, selection of HDR DOES take 3 shots with a single press of the release, even on single-shot drive. Why the inconsistency?

Peter

Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 +7 more
Alastair Norcross
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,593Gear list
Like?

Peter Marchant wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Mark

Edit...just realized the thread is 9 months old! Sorry. Hopefully the OP has got this sorted out by now lol.

OP here - I don't often use bracketing and I never use high speed drive. My question was (should be addressed to Canon really) why doesn't bracketing anticipate that the user needs to take 3 (or selected number) shots? In my view, once bracketing is selected, a single press of the release should ALWAYS take the 3 shots.

As I earlier noted, selection of HDR DOES take 3 shots with a single press of the release, even on single-shot drive. Why the inconsistency?

Peter

I'm not sure that I see this as a problem. This way, you get the choice of taking all three at once, by using continuous shooting mode, or of taking each one when you choose. If Canon had set it up so that it always takes all three at once, no matter what drive mode you're in, I'm sure there would be plenty of people here complaining that Canon was forcing something on them, when they wanted the choice to do it the other way! I expect that the HDR mode doesn't give you the choice, because the camera has to align the pictures, and the quicker they get taken, the less chance of misalignment there is. I have my camera in continuous mode (usually high speed) the whole time, so it's never a problem for me. Even in high speed mode, I find it easy to take just one shot when I want to.

-- hide signature --

As the length of a thread approaches 150, the probability that someone will make the obvious "it's not the camera, it's the photographer" remark approaches 1.
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD450 Canon PowerShot SD870 IS Canon PowerShot S45 Pentax Optio W60 +16 more
Mark B.
Like?

Peter Marchant wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Mark

OP here - I don't often use bracketing and I never use high speed drive. My question was (should be addressed to Canon really) why doesn't bracketing anticipate that the user needs to take 3 (or selected number) shots? In my view, once bracketing is selected, a single press of the release should ALWAYS take the 3 shots.

Peter

Regardless of why it was done that way, the solution is very simple to implement.  You can choose to use it, or continue to curse Canon b/c the camera doesn't operate the way you want it to.  One choice accomplishes the goal.  The other just leads to frustration.

Peter Marchant
Like?

Mark B. wrote:

Regardless of why it was done that way, the solution is very simple to implement. You can choose to use it, or continue to curse Canon b/c the camera doesn't operate the way you want it to. One choice accomplishes the goal. The other just leads to frustration.

Mark - the point is, it's all too easy to forget you've selected bracketing.  In that case, only 1 in 3 shots you subsequently take will be accurately exposed.

The point of bracketing is to take THE SAME SHOT at 3 (or however many you choose) different exposures.  This allows one to later select the best one and discard the rest.  There's no valid arguement (as another poster suggests) that you may want to wait some considerable time between bracketed exposures - these would be different photos and conditions may well change by the time he takes his 2nd and 3rd shots, thus defeating the whole point of bracketing.

I don't expect everyone to agree but I've not yet hear a valid reasson for choosing to press the button 3 time for bracketing whilst only a single press is required if HDR is selected.  I see no logic in this.

Peter

Mark B.
Like?

Peter Marchant wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Regardless of why it was done that way, the solution is very simple to implement. You can choose to use it, or continue to curse Canon b/c the camera doesn't operate the way you want it to. One choice accomplishes the goal. The other just leads to frustration.

Mark - the point is, it's all too easy to forget you've selected bracketing. In that case, only 1 in 3 shots you subsequently take will be accurately exposed.

The point of bracketing is to take THE SAME SHOT at 3 (or however many you choose) different exposures. This allows one to later select the best one and discard the rest. There's no valid arguement (as another poster suggests) that you may want to wait some considerable time between bracketed exposures - these would be different photos and conditions may well change by the time he takes his 2nd and 3rd shots, thus defeating the whole point of bracketing.

I don't expect everyone to agree but I've not yet hear a valid reasson for choosing to press the button 3 time for bracketing whilst only a single press is required if HDR is selected. I see no logic in this.

Peter

So get a different camera.  My point is that the 70D simply isn't set up to do it that way - but there is a workaround.

MisterBG
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,372
Like?

Mark B. wrote:

Peter Marchant wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Mark - the point is, it's all too easy to forget you've selected bracketing. In that case, only 1 in 3 shots you subsequently take will be accurately exposed.

The point of bracketing is to take THE SAME SHOT at 3 (or however many you choose) different exposures. This allows one to later select the best one and discard the rest. There's no valid arguement (as another poster suggests) that you may want to wait some considerable time between bracketed exposures - these would be different photos and conditions may well change by the time he takes his 2nd and 3rd shots, thus defeating the whole point of bracketing.

I don't expect everyone to agree but I've not yet hear a valid reasson for choosing to press the button 3 time for bracketing whilst only a single press is required if HDR is selected. I see no logic in this.

Peter

So get a different camera. My point is that the 70D simply isn't set up to do it that way - but there is a workaround.

I agree.
I regularly take 3-shot brackets with my 70d using the method described.
My main problem is forgetting to cancel the bracket settings when I've finished.

David Naylor
Contributing MemberPosts: 652Gear list
Like?

Peter Marchant wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Peter

I agree with you, the advantages of always taking the bracketed shots in one go outweigh the cons. AEB is an old feature and works the way it does probably because ‘it always has been like this’. I guess the thinking is that you might want to recompose your three bracketed shots, but that must be a much rarer thing nowadays with HDR processing.

David Naylor's gear list:David Naylor's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +1 more
David Naylor
Like?

Mark B. wrote:

Peter Marchant wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Peter

So get a different camera. My point is that the 70D simply isn't set up to do it that way - but there is a workaround.

He knows of the workaround, he is just discussing the logic of the default behaviour. "Get a different camera" is such a stupid reply. Do you switch cameras each time you find a minor niggle with your current one?

Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM +1 more
Mark B.
Like?
In reply to David Naylor, 3 months ago

David Naylor wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Peter Marchant wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

Peter

He knows of the workaround, he is just discussing the logic of the default behaviour. "Get a different camera" is such a stupid reply. Do you switch cameras each time you find a minor niggle with your current one?

No, he just wants to complain that the camera doesn't work the way he wants it to.  It's pointless to continue the complaint at this point.  Send a complaint to Canon.  Getting a different camera is not unreasonable if it bothers someone that much if they won't even use a solution that's been suggested.

David Naylor
Like?

Mark B. wrote:

David Naylor wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

No, he just wants to complain that the camera doesn't work the way he wants it to. It's pointless to continue the complaint at this point. Send a complaint to Canon. Getting a different camera is not unreasonable if it bothers someone that much if they won't even use a solution that's been suggested.

He's already said he uses the workaround ... And what's wrong with complaining? These forums are for both complaints and praise, right? Or are just positive, hallelujah type threads allowed? I must have missed the memo.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads