A7, misfocus or motion blur?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 510Gear list
Like?
A7, misfocus or motion blur?
7 months ago

Hi these snapshots are from my wife using A7 for a few days , most shots are like this, they look ok but not sharp when viewed 100%,  is the camera missing focus a little or is it motion blur?

Please note that this doesn't happen with A7R (this lens is tack sharp as well)

Cameras pick  low shutter speed in P mode, but some other shots with higher shutter also turn out this way.

Thank you for comments.

focused on the eye

focused on santa

focused on the kids

letters may look sharp, but zoomed in it's slightly off

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Leica T
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tn1krr
Contributing MemberPosts: 541Gear list
Like?
Re: A7, misfocus or motion blur?
In reply to zilver, 7 months ago

zilver wrote:

Hi these snapshots are from my wife using A7 for a few days , most shots are like this, they look ok but not sharp when viewed 100%, is the camera missing focus a little or is it motion blur?

Cameras pick low shutter speed in P mode, but some other shots with higher shutter also turn out this way.

I have not used my A7R in other than M, A or S mode, but there is definately some motion blur on play, 1/60 will not stop the walking couple for 1:1 sharpness (same would happen with A7R for sure), for example. If the P selects only 1/60, I'd say put her to M with 1/160 shutter, F/4 and auto ISO; such scenes have plenty of light and FF sensor can take ISO 800 easily if needed. The shutter button in the A7(R) has his own character and what I always need to remind my wife is to half-press to lock focus 1st and only then shoot, this has been the same consistent issue in my Nex-6, Nex-7 and A7R.

For moving subjects (like the couple moving away) there is also potential for "lock focus, wait a bit too long + shoot" causing target moving slightly out of focus.

tn1krr's gear list:tn1krr's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a6000 Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
viking79
Forum ProPosts: 13,160Gear list
Like?

To me those look like motion blur or issues caused by the OIS.

They aren't out of focus as most focused regions have the same issues. I have noticed the same.

This might be why people think it has focus issues. This is why it is imperative Sony implement a minimum shutter speed for auto ISO.

Some reviewers have been complaining of misfocus with OIS kit lens, but not with Zeiss lenses, so this might very well be a case of OIS not behaving correctly in some situations causing blurred shots.  This is why I dislike stabilization.  It helps with most images, but messes up a few.

Eric

viking79's gear list:viking79's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,007
Like?

You need a higher ISO setting in this winter light. I suggest 800.

A shutter speed of 1/60 is likely to give a touch of camera shake, especially on a new camera.

zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 510Gear list
Like?
In reply to viking79, 7 months ago

Thanks for your reply.

I'm using 35mm FE, so no OIS.

But your point on most focused regions having the same issues, and minimum shutter speed from Sony is fully agreed.

viking79 wrote:

To me those look like motion blur or issues caused by the OIS.

They aren't out of focus as most focused regions have the same issues. I have noticed the same.

This might be why people think it has focus issues. This is why it is imperative Sony implement a minimum shutter speed for auto ISO.

Some reviewers have been complaining of misfocus with OIS kit lens, but not with Zeiss lenses, so this might very well be a case of OIS not behaving correctly in some situations causing blurred shots. This is why I dislike stabilization. It helps with most images, but messes up a few.

Eric

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Leica T
viking79
Like?

zilver wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

But your point on most focused regions having the same issues, and minimum shutter speed from Sony is fully agreed.

Oh, missed that, sorry

Still could be motion blur.  Remember 1/focal length is old rule that doesn't include pixel peeping and high res cameras.

So 1/2x is more reasonable and maybe it is how you are holding the camera or something, as to why you would notice it more with one camera than the other.  1/60 is not fast enough most motion blur too (you could sway just a bit and it would be visible).  Try 1/120 and see if it goes away?

Eric

Sony Alpha 7R Samsung NX30 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 85mm F1.4 ED SSA Samsung NX 60mm F2.8 Macro ED OIS SSA +5 more
Section10
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?

To me this is exactly the motion blur that would've been fixed by SteadyShot. Even at 1/60 it shouldn't be bad but it looks it zoomed in.

To test, next time you're walking around, with the heart rate up stop and a take a quick photo at 1/40 then Raise ISO and walk and take the same shot at the same point again at 1/120(or higher) Compare the 100%

Out of Focus is blurrier lacking sharpness, Motion blur has a 'drag' to it, or double vision effect.

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1R Sony Alpha NEX-5 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +2 more
D Cox
Senior MemberPosts: 7,007
Like?
In reply to viking79, 7 months ago

viking79 wrote:

zilver wrote:

Thanks for your reply.

Oh, missed that, sorry

Still could be motion blur. Remember 1/focal length is old rule that doesn't include pixel peeping and high res cameras.

So 1/2x is more reasonable and maybe it is how you are holding the camera or something, as to why you would notice it more with one camera than the other. 1/60 is not fast enough most motion blur too (you could sway just a bit and it would be visible). Try 1/120 and see if it goes away?

I have not handled an A7 or A7r, but I notice that the shutter button is badly placed right on top of the camera. This tends to give camera shake.

The best place is on the front of the camera, and on the grip would be OK.

But on top means in practice that you need higher shutter speeds.

rishi o'
Senior MemberPosts: 1,366Gear list
Like?
The real question is..

Why is he getting sharp results with the A7r and not the A7? Are both cameras being shot the same way or is it just the case that the A7r is more accurate with autofocus. I believe it's the latter since from his earlier posts I believe he's been using the same lens and same focus technique on both cameras. He's also tried two versions of the A7 which helps validate his claims. I'm getting pretty sold on the A7r based on these results.

-- hide signature --
sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,170Gear list
Like?
In reply to tn1krr, 7 months ago

tn1krr wrote:

zilver wrote:

Hi these snapshots are from my wife using A7 for a few days , most shots are like this, they look ok but not sharp when viewed 100%, is the camera missing focus a little or is it motion blur?

Cameras pick low shutter speed in P mode, but some other shots with higher shutter also turn out this way.

I have not used my A7R in other than M, A or S mode, but there is definately some motion blur on play, 1/60 will not stop the walking couple for 1:1 sharpness (same would happen with A7R for sure), for example. If the P selects only 1/60, I'd say put her to M with 1/160 shutter, F/4 and auto ISO; such scenes have plenty of light and FF sensor can take ISO 800 easily if needed. The shutter button in the A7(R) has his own character and what I always need to remind my wife is to half-press to lock focus 1st and only then shoot, this has been the same consistent issue in my Nex-6, Nex-7 and A7R.

My NEX 5N defaults to 1/60 shutter speed when I use A mode and auto ISO. I hate 1/60 because it's just slow enough to introduce some motion blur in dynamic scenes. I hope Sony didn't make it the default before raising ISO on the A7 cameras, too. I thought my RX1 was 1/80 (still not great, but better).

I prefer to shoot manual (M) and set my shutter to 1/125 or so when shooting people (unless it's a studio and controlled). 1/160 is even better (and faster). Learning to use M with auto ISO can alleviate many of these issues.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
sybersitizen
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,264
Like?

I see motion blur/camera shake in all of them. Affected areas have a directional blur rather than a uniform defocused blur. 1/60 second is not all that fast for freezing human activity.

blue_skies
Senior MemberPosts: 6,755Gear list
Like?

Looks like a camera technique problem.

Have your wife practice the shutter release method. Perhaps she is gripping the camera too tight, or pushing the shutter button too hard.

If she does not have this problem with the A7r, try puttng EFC off in the A7 and see if this has an effect.

Faster shutter speeds (higher ISO) or OIS lenses will help, but I think that this problem can easily be avoided with some practice.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 +30 more
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,843Gear list
Like?

Definitely motion blur. The last picture is the most static and it looks the best compared to the others.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
forpetessake
Senior MemberPosts: 3,286
Like?

It's a camera shake issue. The other possibility would be an IS malfunctioning, but it's much less likely.

Just use a shutter bracketing of switch to HDR and you will see if the blur goes away.

-- hide signature --

"Ninety percent of everything is crap" - Sturgeon's law

viking79
Like?
Re: The real question is..
In reply to rishi o', 7 months ago

rishi o' wrote:

Why is he getting sharp results with the A7r and not the A7?

It could be as simple as the small transient from pressing the shutter button dies out before the shutter opens in the A7r due to the longer shutter lag.  Or just technique differences between the two cameras.

Eric

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads