Graham Houghton released his free ebook the FZ200 User's Manual

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
swamibob
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
Graham Houghton released his free ebook the FZ200 User's Manual
8 months ago

Here is the definitive guide to the FZ200 camera and he is giving it away free. Anyone who does not know who Graham is, he is the YouTube poster who does all of the illustrated users guides on this great camera. He has now taken the time to write all of his wisdom that he passes along in the videos (and then some) in this real world users guide to the FZ200.

Here are the links:

You can download the book from on his blog page http://www.grahamhoughton.co.uk/

Also, if you have not checked out his YouTube channel here is the link to that as well. http://www.youtube.com/user/ghough12?feature=watch

If you haven't already, it's well worth spending a few hours and watching his how to videos on the FZ200, especially if you are new to the camera. They were invaluable to me when I first was considering purchasing the camera and the main reason I chose it over the other bridge cameras out there. By the time my camera arrived, I already knew how to operate it from watching his step by step videos.

Thanks Graham for all of the time and trouble that you have put forth to make these videos and new eBook. It is appreciated.

Rob

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kkardster
Senior MemberPosts: 4,226Gear list
Like?
Re: Graham Houghton released his free ebook the FZ200 User's Manual
In reply to swamibob, 8 months ago

Wow - thanks for the early Christmas present, Graham! It's nice to have a proper user's manual that actually tells how to use the camera rather than a sentence or two simply describing each feature.

I'll ensure this eBook is copied to my film cards so they're always with the camera.  As with Panasonic's PDF manuals, however, there's no way to view this manual on-camera. I have converted the Panasonic manuals to individual images and they are visible on-camera, but suspect that Graham's version may be more likely to get referenced and I will probably dissect it as well.

-- hide signature --

Bruce
You learn something new every time you press the shutter

kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
myssvictoria
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,362Gear list
Like?

After resisting for the longest time, I watched his videos last week. I just meant to watch his video on videos but ended up watching them all. He does a very nice job presenting useful information in this series of relatively short videos. Thanks Graham! And thanks Rob for the ebook info!

-- hide signature --
 myssvictoria's gear list:myssvictoria's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +7 more
Jerrich
Senior MemberPosts: 2,448Gear list
Like?
In reply to myssvictoria, 8 months ago

I'm a long time fan of his videos also.  Does anyone know if Graham visits this site?

JR

-- hide signature --

Panny FZ200

Jerrich's gear list:Jerrich's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60)
swamibob
Junior MemberPosts: 32
Like?
In reply to myssvictoria, 8 months ago

Yes the same thing happened to me. I was just going to watch a video or two to see first hand how the fz200 worked and what it was capable of before I decided which camera I was going to purchase. I wound up watching about 2 hrs worth of videos the first night and have since went back and watched all of his FZ200 videos and most of the rest.

Ronomy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,346Gear list
Like?

Does anybody shoot in standard photo style with Noisier reduction set to -2 and sharpness +1. Because the +1 sharpness makes my images look noisy and crappy.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
sampoodle
Junior MemberPosts: 48
Like?

I hear it is also useful for LX7 users, correct?

I did download the PDF, and will seek the YT videos.

Thank you Graham!

bedrok
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?

Holy Cow!!

I feel like I should send that guy some money. You could take a semester of community college level photography class and not gain the knowledge in his guide and videos.

ANAYV
Forum ProPosts: 10,189
Like?
In reply to Ronomy, 8 months ago

Ronomy wrote:

Does anybody shoot in standard photo style with Noisier reduction set to -2 and sharpness +1. Because the +1 sharpness makes my images look noisy and crappy.

I shoot my FZ200 in natural photo style, as this setting provides the least amount of processing (in camera), at default settings.

I then set sharpness at -2, as well as contrast and noise reduction.Only saturation is at 0 or -1.

This seems to give me the best image to edit later, in FastStone Image Viewer.The SOOC look dull, flat and soft with these settings.

Just a few minutes with above software, and images look good enough to print.

Liked these settings so much, that my FZ200 forgot how to shoot RAW, lol.

ANAYV

Ronomy
Like?
In reply to ANAYV, 8 months ago

Ronomy wrote:

I shoot my FZ200 in natural photo style, as this setting provides the least amount of processing (in camera), at default settings.

I then set sharpness at -2, as well as contrast and noise reduction.Only saturation is at 0 or -1.

This seems to give me the best image to edit later, in FastStone Image Viewer.The SOOC look dull, flat and soft with these settings.

Just a few minutes with above software, and images look good enough to print.

Liked these settings so much, that my FZ200 forgot how to shoot RAW, lol.

ANAYV

All my comparison test using natural mode shows me noise reduction seems higher and sharpness is lower. Detail is smudged more in low contrast, low lighting.

I have not spent that much time with natural though. Maybe its just sharpness is lower and I thought it was smudging detail. I noticed contrast is lower in natural when compared to standard too.

Standard mode with noise reduction and sharpness set to -2 shows the least amount of processing to me but I like the way SOOC jpgs look setting sharpness to -1.

Ronomy
Like?
In reply to ANAYV, 8 months ago

I have Fast tone but can't get your settings to look very good. The jpgs in natural mode with noise reduction and sharpness set to -2 are so soft that detail is lost. No sharpness settings gets me back to the fine detail I see in RAW and in standard style mode. I have seen your pictures and they look fantastic so would love to see what your work flow is.

Ron

GeraldW
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,890Gear list
Like?

Right!  I started there with my first FZ200, and found that there was too much noise once I got above ISO 200.  Houghton is setting his FZ200 to the settings that worked best with the FZ150 and the earlier models; but not with the FZ200.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

GeraldW's gear list:GeraldW's gear list
Canon PowerShot A710 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G15
cmpman19741
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Download Not Working`

I really want this E-book!  I tried visiting the link, but it's no longer working.  Would anyone who did obtain the PDF file be able to e-mail it to me?  If so, please message me.  Thanks so much.

cmpman19741
Forum MemberPosts: 55
Like?
Thanks
In reply to cmpman19741, 8 months ago

Looks like someone is kindly e-mailng me the document.  Thanks.  Request is closed.

Ronomy
Like?
Re: Thanks
In reply to cmpman19741, 8 months ago

Looks like someone is kindly e-mailng me the document.  Thanks.  Request is closed.

Its a big file. 24MB I think.

Dbhar
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?

Hi Ronomy,

I am new in the world of photography tried to download the link but it isn't working. Can you please share the copy you said have received from someone. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

bolador
Regular MemberPosts: 339Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dbhar, 8 months ago

Can someone please repost the file as the original link is not working any more?
Thanks

bolador's gear list:bolador's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Nikon D90
marlyd
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
In reply to bolador, 8 months ago

bolador wrote:

Can someone please repost the file as the original link is not working any more?
Thanks

Same request. Suggestion : if you send the file to someone through https://www.wetransfer.com/  they will provide a link you could put on the forum.

Thanks in advance

marlyd
Forum MemberPosts: 82
Like?
In reply to marlyd, 8 months ago

marlyd wrote:

bolador wrote:

Thanks

Same request. Suggestion : if you send the file to someone through https://www.wetransfer.com/ they will provide a link you could put on the forum.

Thanks in advance

An alternative link is given on Graham Houghton blog site (see first message on this thread)

MoreGooderPhotos
Regular MemberPosts: 236Gear list
Like?
In reply to marlyd, 8 months ago

marlyd wrote:

marlyd wrote:

bolador wrote:

Thanks

Same request. Suggestion : if you send the file to someone through https://www.wetransfer.com/ they will provide a link you could put on the forum.

Thanks in advance

An alternative link is given on Graham Houghton blog site (see first message on this thread)

This is frustrating.  The second link has a "view" and "download" selection.  Viewing works as expected, but downloading results in my anti-virus software throwing some ominous warnings about viruses and unwanted applications.   I'd recommend avoiding that download button!

It would be great if someone would come up with another way to host the PDF.  As a DSL user, my upload speed isn't nearly high enough to provide this service., otherwise I'd host the file for a while.

Perhaps someone with a large Skydrive capacity could upload it?

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I feel like 2/3'rds Rice Krispies. Past "Snap" and "Crackle" but just shy of "Pop".

MoreGooderPhotos's gear list:MoreGooderPhotos's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads