Choices, choices - A57 or A77

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
nandbytes
Senior MemberPosts: 2,411Gear list
Like?
Choices, choices - A57 or A77
8 months ago

So I have got a good offer for a A77 with a part exchange for my A57. Basically I can upgrade to a77 for £300.

Anyways, I like my a57 and one of the main selling point for me was the low light performance of the a57. I am not sure how the a77 compares to a57 in terms of this.

24mp isnt a huge deal for me.

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Nikon Coolpix L18 Sony Alpha 7 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +4 more
Sony SLT-A57 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TAGRIFFIN
Contributing MemberPosts: 565Gear list
Like?
Re: Choices, choices - A57 or A77
In reply to nandbytes, 8 months ago

Hi

Kinda timely as I swapped my a57 plus cash for a77 on Saturday? Haven't had a lot of time to play with it but I can just tell it was the right move? EVF is great ('cept for real low light), feels great and solid, focusing seems quicker, etc. As for the noise issue....I don't shoot much over 1600 and rarely print larger than 8x10 so not an issue here. I am very confident that you will really like the upgrade. Some say it is way bigger and heavier...well it is not a pocket camera for sure but neither is the a57. I don't notice that much difference really. If anything the extra size makes it a little easier and more comfortable to handle.

I say get it!

Tim

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Seeky
Regular MemberPosts: 378Gear list
Like?

nandbytes wrote:

So I have got a good offer for a A77 with a part exchange for my A57. Basically I can upgrade to a77 for £300.

Anyways, I like my a57 and one of the main selling point for me was the low light performance of the a57. I am not sure how the a77 compares to a57 in terms of this.

24mp isnt a huge deal for me.

Depends on what you are looking for in the A77; The A77 has the following advantages over the A57:

+ Weathersealed partly magnesium alloy body construction

+ Better grip (personal opinion) and ergonomics

+ Dual dial control

+ Top LCD

+ AF mode control dial

+ AF/MF control (only useful with screw driven and SSM lenses)

+ MR Memory Recall

+ Better button customization options

+ AF assist light

+ Better AF system: 19 points 11 cross type (vs A57 15 points 3 cross type)

+ Better articulating LCD

+ Higher quality and resolution OLED EVF (vs A57 LCD EVF)

+ GPS

+ Higher resolution (24 vs 16 MP)

+ 12 frames per second (vs 10 fps for A57 which is almost the same)

Image quality is very similar. Low light performance is also very similar. I would only get the A77 over the A57 if you really want the better body and features AND you have those 300 pounds just laying around. I would not base this on minute image quality differences.

Seeky's gear list:Seeky's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +5 more
nandbytes
Like?
In reply to TAGRIFFIN, 8 months ago

Hi

Kinda timely as I swapped my a57 plus cash for a77 on Saturday? Haven't had a lot of time to play with it but I can just tell it was the right move? EVF is great ('cept for real low light), feels great and solid, focusing seems quicker, etc. As for the noise issue....I don't shoot much over 1600 and rarely print larger than 8x10 so not an issue here. I am very confident that you will really like the upgrade. Some say it is way bigger and heavier...well it is not a pocket camera for sure but neither is the a57. I don't notice that much difference really. If anything the extra size makes it a little easier and more comfortable to handle.

I say get it!

Tim

Yes I did notice. I have tried it in a shop. It almost the same size as a57.

I shoot a fair amount in low light hence my choice of the two latest lenses I bought last week. Tokina 11-16 2.8 and 35mm 1.8. Both fast and gives me good results.

So I wouldn't want to sacrifice too much on low light performance. With my current set up it isn't a problem.

Nikon Coolpix L18 Sony Alpha 7 Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +4 more
nandbytes
Like?
In reply to Seeky, 8 months ago

I don't have £300 lying around but its something I can afford. Plus I got my A57 so cheap and I am getting this A77 so cheap that I am losing not much more than £50 which not a loss considering I have used my A57 well in past few months.

K E Hoffman
Senior MemberPosts: 2,567Gear list
Like?

A77 is an amazing camera

You should look at the studio comparison Tool here on DPR

RAW up to 3200 they look pretty close to me (one has to remember the visual effects of scaling higher res to 1:1)  Higher resolution creates just a bit of natural HR as we scale to normal use.

JPG they look the same up to 6400 to me.

There are some nuances in each in who the JPG engine in each rendered high ISO.

-- hide signature --

K.E.H. >> Shooting between raindrops in WA<<

K E Hoffman's gear list:K E Hoffman's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Sony SLT-A77 Nikon 1 J1 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 100mm F2.8 Macro +5 more
danny006
Contributing MemberPosts: 814Gear list
Like?

The A77 is all about performance and resolution at low ISO. Until ISO800 it performs really well. But the A57 has the advantage at higher ISO. Although DxOMark says otherwise.

There are some features I really like about the A77. The AF/MF button for quickly focussing when I am in MF ( for macro as an example). The 1/3stops increments. The focus magnifier 5.9x/11.7x button for observing birds at a long distance. More bracketing options for hdr. 12fps which I use a lot now, you can't choose aperture in AFC but my Tamron 200-500 is already sharp wide open at F6.3 so I don't care. Buffer clearing time is faster (with UHS-1 95MB/s sd card) especially in raw or raw+jpeg, although you get less shots before the buffer fills (bigger files for the A77).

If you want these extra's then go for it. Otherwise the A57 is pretty capable.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

danny006's gear list:danny006's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro
Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
A77 Only

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
nandbytes
Like?
how good is weather sealing?

This is really attractive for me, but how far will this get me? Light showers? Light snow? Blizzards? Lol.

Vikas Rana
Contributing MemberPosts: 805Gear list
Like?
Re: how good is weather sealing?

nandbytes wrote:

This is really attractive for me, but how far will this get me? Light showers? Light snow? Blizzards? Lol.

Lol after lol!! The weather sealing is only to avoid Rain and accidental fall in water. I think weather sealing is not good enough for under-water sea shooting. Liquipel do protect many electronic devices like phones/tables with their special coating and are far better than earlier sealing provided by the company. You need to talk to them regarding DSLR coatings!

Vikas Rana's gear list:Vikas Rana's gear list
Sony SLT-A58 Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sony DT 55-300mm F4.5-5.6 SAM Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM II Adobe Photoshop CS6
nandbytes
Like?
In reply to Vikas Rana, 8 months ago

Thats good enough tbh. I am not planning on shooting in a blizzard or underwater but it will inevitably snow or rain here. Its nice to not have to worry too much about a little water here and there.

Wally626
Senior MemberPosts: 1,636
Like?

nandbytes wrote:

Thats good enough tbh. I am not planning on shooting in a blizzard or underwater but it will inevitably snow or rain here. Its nice to not have to worry too much about a little water here and there.

The camera will be fine in more than a little rain and snow, but your lenses may not be. I have shot with the 16-105 in light rain with no issues, but it is not weather sealed. The 16-50 f/2.8 is considered weather resistant and I think most of the recent Sony re-issued lenses are as well, like the 500mm f/4, but not the older ones.

nandbytes
Like?
In reply to Wally626, 8 months ago

Yeah I will eventually get the 16-50. The current offer is a bit stupid. I can upgrade to a77 for £300 or upgrade to a77+kit for £800. But new 16-50mm on its own is £400!

tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,165Gear list
Like?

You might consider keeping the A57 and buying the A77. I have an A65 and A77. It is very handy to have 2 cameras with different lenses. For instance in my case the A77 with Tamron 70-300 and the A65 with Sigma 17-70. For a super compact carry everywhere camera I use an RX100.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/63683676@N07/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25301400@N00/

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
tbcass
Forum ProPosts: 17,165Gear list
Like?
In reply to danny006, 8 months ago

danny006 wrote:

The A77 is all about performance and resolution at low ISO. Until ISO800 it performs really well. But the A57 has the advantage at higher ISO. Although DxOMark says otherwise.

That's because the A57 has no advantage at high iso if you view them at the same size.

There are some features I really like about the A77. The AF/MF button for quickly focussing when I am in MF ( for macro as an example). The 1/3stops increments. The focus magnifier 5.9x/11.7x button for observing birds at a long distance. More bracketing options for hdr. 12fps which I use a lot now, you can't choose aperture in AFC but my Tamron 200-500 is already sharp wide open at F6.3 so I don't care. Buffer clearing time is faster (with UHS-1 95MB/s sd card) especially in raw or raw+jpeg, although you get less shots before the buffer fills (bigger files for the A77).

If you want these extra's then go for it. Otherwise the A57 is pretty capable.

-- hide signature --

www.alex-digitalpics.be by Sony

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------
Miss use of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography because it causes people to fret over inconsequential issues.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony SLT-A77 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +6 more
nandbytes
Like?
In reply to tbcass, 8 months ago

tbcass wrote:

You might consider keeping the A57 and buying the A77. I have an A65 and A77. It is very handy to have 2 cameras with different lenses. For instance in my case the A77 with Tamron 70-300 and the A65 with Sigma 17-70. For a super compact carry everywhere camera I use an RX100.

-- hide signature --

Tom
------------

I would honestly love to do that, which is I am having such a difficult time letting camera go. Its absolutely brilliant. But I am already stretching it just for the upgrade, I will not be able to afford it.

Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,948Gear list
Like?
Suggest you spend some time on the comparometer.

My time there tells me to stay with my @57 until the @79 breaks cover.
The @77 deals are great, with many reasons to change
(until you shift the ISO above 200).
The @77 looks a much better drive than the @57,
especially the EVF and general ergonomics;
but to buy a body with marginal I.Q. improvement makes little financial sense.
Whichever, NO WAY would I relinquish the @57 till I had a few weeks with the @77.

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
123Mike
Senior MemberPosts: 4,141Gear list
Like?
Noise, ISO 1600 limit in video -> A57 is better (for me)

I "downgraded" from an A65 to an A57, which to me really was an upgrade, because it's much better noise (and yes, that includes noise per area), and it does video at ISO 3200.

I recently was tempted to jump on $750 deals (in Canada) for a new A77 that includes 2 years warranty. I had to remind myself how bad the noise is on the A77 (aka A65). Various forum messages that weren't about people's own A77 confirmation bias, reaffirmed my disappointment.

I passed up on this deal. Too much noise too low in the ISO (200+ already, like w t h !), and video stops at ISO 1600 making it impossible to use indoors for me.

So frustrating. It's otherwise *such* an awesome camera...

123Mike's gear list:123Mike's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS A3000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Tamron AF 28-300mm F/3.5-6.3 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Macro +5 more
nandbytes
Like?
Re: I have a simple question (for you all)!
In reply to 123Mike, 8 months ago

123Mike wrote:

I "downgraded" from an A65 to an A57, which to me really was an upgrade, because it's much better noise (and yes, that includes noise per area), and it does video at ISO 3200.

I recently was tempted to jump on $750 deals (in Canada) for a new A77 that includes 2 years warranty. I had to remind myself how bad the noise is on the A77 (aka A65). Various forum messages that weren't about people's own A77 confirmation bias, reaffirmed my disappointment.

I passed up on this deal. Too much noise too low in the ISO (200+ already, like w t h !), and video stops at ISO 1600 making it impossible to use indoors for me.

So frustrating. It's otherwise *such* an awesome camera...

hmmm interesting you say this (i.e. exact opposite) because the earlier posts and other threads seem to suggest that the difference in IQ is minute. This is the very reason I am torn between the two!

also tbcass mentioned - "That's because the A57 has no advantage at high iso if you view them at the same size" not sure I follow this to be honest.

Looks like I am still stuck.

My question is simple, I am shooting at night time, say a nice aurora borealis (bit ambitions :P), indoor of a cathedral and a city scape of shanghai. which camera will give the best result and why? Also what is the difference in quality?

rbakerjr
Forum MemberPosts: 73Gear list
Like?
Re: Noise, ISO 1600 limit in video -> A57 is better (for me)
In reply to 123Mike, 8 months ago

I agree 100% with 123Mike...I bought an A77 twice.  First a year ago when I bought the A57 to test both to see which I liked better.  I sent the A77 back based completely on image quality.  The second time was last week when I thought I'd try again since it's such a great deal now and in the hopes that maybe I got a bad sample the first time.  I really love the features and feel of the A77 but the images at ALL ISOs look better to me on the A57.  RAW or Jpeg, the images are just cleaner to my eyes with the A57.  It's a shame because I really want the more upgraded body and the A77 fits my hand like a glove!   I'd be perfectly happy with an A77 with the A57 sensor...not trying to step on any toes, just my opinion.  Obviously, there are some great pictures on the internet taken by the A77 so I know it's a capable camera but I prefer the A57's image quality.

rbakerjr's gear list:rbakerjr's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot G16 Sony SLT-A57 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads