RX10 or A7?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
salla30
Senior MemberPosts: 1,831Gear list
Like?
RX10 or A7?
4 months ago

Hi

Not that I'm in a position to invest, but a thought struck me.

What would be the best bet:

A7 for 1700 chf with 28-70mm kit lens

or

RX10 for 1300 chf

?

Price differential is not that great.

-- hide signature --
 salla30's gear list:salla30's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS
lancespring
Senior MemberPosts: 1,921Gear list
Like?
Re: RX10 or A7?
In reply to salla30, 4 months ago

These two camera options you mention are very close to each other in both size and weight, but that is about their only similarity.   Otherwise, they are radically different cameras.

It should be relatively easy for you to examine their different lists of features, and determine which one has the more appealing set of features for your needs.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Nikon D600 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Tamron SP 24-70mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
salla30
Like?
In reply to lancespring, 4 months ago

hehe.

thanks for reply.

i am fully aware of the feature set of both cameras.

I am curious to know what others think of the comparison or how they might consider choosing between the two.

My thought would be to go with the A7, for the FF capability and future expandability but I am curious to know the thought processes of others who would consider the RX10 over the A7.

Im not trying to start a battle between the 2, as I agree they are different beasts. Just from the standpoint of someone who has 1500 $ to buy something and considering either, it's an interesting discussion for me.

-- hide signature --
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,093Gear list
Like?

you will want additional lenses for the A7.

I would.  Can you resist?

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
salla30
Like?
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, 4 months ago

Yes I am sure, it would get pretty addictive. Fun!

-- hide signature --
Greg Gebhardt
Forum ProPosts: 25,093Gear list
Like?

I already have a DSLR so the R10 is perfect for what I need.  Not sure if I would get the R10 is it were to ONLY camera I owned.

-- hide signature --

Greg
Jax, FL

Greg Gebhardt's gear list:Greg Gebhardt's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Leica M9 Nikon D4 Nikon D800
Chris43
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
In reply to Greg Gebhardt, 4 months ago

That was one of my thoughts as well, but I decided on the RX10 (which I collect tomorrow....) because it offered a one camera solution, and the lens is superb, as far as I can judge for images and comments here and elsewhere. I know that a kit 28-70 would not really satisfy me, so I would be needing to buy more lenses, and to get the best out of the sensor, they wouldn't be cheap ones.

I have an APS-C A55 SLT at the moment, though it shows its age compared to the latest best sensors, but I wanted a travel camera without the need to haul a full bag around. I bought a Tamron 18-250 in the hope that it would be enough, but somehow I always seemed to take at least a couple more lenses with me,  "just in case"...

It might be that I am happy enough with the RX10 that I might not need the SLT, so its staying for the moment. There probably will be something else to attract in a year or so....

Chris43's gear list:Chris43's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
lhkjacky
Regular MemberPosts: 176Gear list
Like?

IMHO, A7 's image quality is much much much better than RX10.

The among of light gather per pixel from a 1" type sensor F2.8 lens is just similar to F7.1 lens in a FF camera.

When shooting at indoor low light environment, the high ISO performance of A7 at least 2.5 stop better than RX10.

But if you like shoot video, with 24-200mm zoom range, RX10 may be better choice.

The video quality from RX10 is much better than A7

lhkjacky's gear list:lhkjacky's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony Alpha DSLR-A350 Sony SLT-A77 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM +5 more
Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
You can't spend what you don't have.

hehe.

thanks for reply.

i am fully aware of the feature set of both cameras.

I am curious to know what others think of the comparison or how they might consider choosing between the two.

My thought would be to go with the A7, for the FF capability and future expandability but I am curious to know the thought processes of others who would consider the RX10 over the A7.

Im not trying to start a battle between the 2, as I agree they are different beasts. Just from the standpoint of someone who has 1500 $ to buy something and considering either, it's an interesting discussion for me.

-- hide signature --

Not THAT interesting: the A7 costs 1700 chf ($1904) and the RX10 costs 1300 chf ($1456) but you only have $1500, I would have to say that you should by the camera you can actually afford. Unless you can steal $400 more from somebody.

elliottnewcomb
Senior MemberPosts: 4,830Gear list
Like?
 elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-S85 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony RX100
Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 12,038Gear list
Like?
I got mine two days ago; it was purchased with video in mind, to go with my GH3.
In reply to Chris43, 4 months ago

I didn't even pay attention to reviews of its stills capabilities because I assumed they wouldn't be too good because of the smaller sensor. However, I've seen some impressive stuff in the last day or so of research. You can even get a bit of shallow DOF with decent bokeh if you use the long end of the zoom. Considering the quality of the lens, the weathersealing, the video optimization (like mic and headphone ports), that wonderful aperture ring on the lens, silent and smooth focusing, it seems a pretty good deal.

Warning: There's not much documentation, including online, from Sony. I have had to guess at a lot of things, like setting the custom memory settings. That part has been a pain.

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +2 more
joexu
Forum MemberPosts: 77Gear list
Like?
In reply to elliottnewcomb, 4 months ago

Personally I'm waiting for the next updated FF cameras, the A7 use past generation sensor already seen in the A99, also the lens selection is not adequate for professional use. The A7 with a 35mm and 55mm lens is decent as a street shooter but any serious work would require more lenses, especially on the long end.

joexu's gear list:joexu's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony SLT-A65 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +1 more
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,925Gear list
Like?

As much as I think I am over being drawn to either if these 2 fine cameras my ears (and eyes) perk up when reading discussion and seeing excellent pictures from both. I have resigned myself to the fact my RX1 will be my camera for outstanding IQ. So that leaves the decision on the RX10, with the a7 out of the picture. However, I still have my NEX 5N, and for much less cost than the RX10 I have been considering getting either the SELP18105G, which still leaves the FL a bit short of the RX10 and the f-stop is a constant f/4, so not as bright (and since this lens has not yet shipped, still waiting for formal reviews of its performance).  Alternatively there is the SEL18200 f/3.5-f/6.3 which takes me much longer than the RX10 but not nearly as bright... f/5.6 at 200mm EFL.

Weighing in on this decision is I would still anticipate using the RX1 for 80%-90% of my shots... I love the image rendering and its small size ensures it will do the bulk of travelling with me.  The good news for me is since I have these choices and cannot make up my mind I will be able to sit on the sidelines contemplating a bit longer.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS
Chris43
Contributing MemberPosts: 562Gear list
Like?
Re: I got mine two days ago; it was purchased with video in mind, to go with my GH3.
In reply to Corkcampbell, 4 months ago

Corkcampbell wrote:

I didn't even pay attention to reviews of its stills capabilities because I assumed they wouldn't be too good because of the smaller sensor. However, I've seen some impressive stuff in the last day or so of research. You can even get a bit of shallow DOF with decent bokeh if you use the long end of the zoom. Considering the quality of the lens, the weathersealing, the video optimization (like mic and headphone ports), that wonderful aperture ring on the lens, silent and smooth focusing, it seems a pretty good deal.

Warning: There's not much documentation, including online, from Sony. I have had to guess at a lot of things, like setting the custom memory settings. That part has been a pain.

Yes, I see that the documentation is sparse to say the least. Still, it'll be an adventure of discovery....I could get old(er) on the way through them all though.

I forgot to say that I also hope to be replacing my older Sony SR11E videocam with the RX10, as I rarely take a shoot longer than 29 minutes!

Chris43's gear list:Chris43's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
Jogger
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,320Gear list
Like?
In reply to teseg, 4 months ago

The only reason to get the RX10 is for Super16 video in a relatively small package. You can get far better image quality with $1300.

teseg wrote:

As much as I think I am over being drawn to either if these 2 fine cameras my ears (and eyes) perk up when reading discussion and seeing excellent pictures from both. I have resigned myself to the fact my RX1 will be my camera for outstanding IQ. So that leaves the decision on the RX10, with the a7 out of the picture. However, I still have my NEX 5N, and for much less cost than the RX10 I have been considering getting either the SELP18105G, which still leaves the FL a bit short of the RX10 and the f-stop is a constant f/4, so not as bright (and since this lens has not yet shipped, still waiting for formal reviews of its performance). Alternatively there is the SEL18200 f/3.5-f/6.3 which takes me much longer than the RX10 but not nearly as bright... f/5.6 at 200mm EFL.

Weighing in on this decision is I would still anticipate using the RX1 for 80%-90% of my shots... I love the image rendering and its small size ensures it will do the bulk of travelling with me. The good news for me is since I have these choices and cannot make up my mind I will be able to sit on the sidelines contemplating a bit longer.

Jogger's gear list:Jogger's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +4 more
Red5TX
Senior MemberPosts: 1,570
Like?
In reply to Jogger, 4 months ago

Jogger wrote:

The only reason to get the RX10 is for Super16 video in a relatively small package. You can get far better image quality with $1300.

Not being cute here.  Genuinely curious about which camera + lens package you would point to as having similar focal range and far better IQ for $1300.  Most superzoom lenses are pretty disappointing.  Then there's the weather sealing.  A Pentax K50 + 18-135 would be cheaper, but that lens is not well-regarded.

DWMurf
Contributing MemberPosts: 963Gear list
Like?

salla30 wrote:

Hi

Not that I'm in a position to invest, but a thought struck me.

What would be the best bet:

A7 for 1700 chf with 28-70mm kit lens

or

RX10 for 1300 chf

?

Price differential is not that great.

-- hide signature --

It's a tough choice and the price difference is great here in the US, $1300 vs. $2000 with the kit lens.

I have my eye on the A7 or A7R as a full-frame body to use my old 35mm film wide angle film lenses without the 1.5x crop factor of my NEX. I'm trying to justify the expense of the body by thinking in terms of all the money I'll save on lenses. I can tell my wife about all the money I saved. 

Most of my casual snapshots are taken with a pocket-size super-zoom, which I always have with me, sometimes just as a backup camera.

Either way, these cameras would be less portable than what I have now. So for me, the full frame is the only justification for buying another camera, other than saving money that is. 

-- hide signature --

David

DWMurf's gear list:DWMurf's gear list
Corel PaintShop Pro X4 Utltimate Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +17 more
Rehabdoc
Contributing MemberPosts: 903
Like?
In reply to Red5TX, 4 months ago

Jogger wrote:

Not being cute here.  Genuinely curious about which camera + lens package you would point to as having similar focal range and far better IQ for $1300.  Most superzoom lenses are pretty disappointing.  Then there's the weather sealing.  A Pentax K50 + 18-135 would be cheaper, but that lens is not well-regarded.

Agreed. For still image shooting, for the same and maybe slightly lower price, you can get a LARGER package, with image quality that is a LITTLE better but certainly in the ballpark, NOT FAR superior.

If you want still image quality that is FAR superior, you must go with a much bigger package AND much higher price. For FAR superior IQ, you need a lens on the camera AND a lens in a bag on your shoulder, and swap them back and forth.

One lens solutions that cover the entire range can be counted on frostbitten man's fingers.

salla30
Like?
Re: You can't spend what you don't have.
In reply to Rehabdoc, 4 months ago

Not THAT interesting: the A7 costs 1700 chf ($1904) and the RX10 costs 1300 chf ($1456) but you only have $1500, I would have to say that you should by the camera you can actually afford. Unless you can steal $400 more from somebody.

i was just using 1500usd  as a "nominal" figure to represent the sort of expenditure required.

Personally, I have the amount available but its a "better half" argument here; how to slip it under the radar, lol

-- hide signature --
salla30
Like?
In reply to lhkjacky, 4 months ago

thanks for your reply.

very informative. Interesting to hear about the video. I was wondering about that.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads