D700 over DF for a travel photographer?

Started 7 months ago | Photos
TributeToWalking
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
D700 over DF for a travel photographer?
7 months ago

I'm a travel photographer. With all the new cameras coming out (DF, I'm looking at you), is there any reason for me to get something new? Will a DF give me better images? I don't think so, but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts otherwise.

-- hide signature --

patricklovephotography.com/blog

TributeToWalking's gear list:TributeToWalking's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +11 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Nikon D700 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,268Gear list
Like?
Re: D700 over DF for a travel photographer?
In reply to TributeToWalking, 7 months ago

You, sir, are rocking the D700.  I wouldn't change a thing unless your clients are demanding more.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,918Gear list
Like?

Well the DF would give you better shadow detail on the fire eater but that's about it.

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D3S +11 more
user_name
Senior MemberPosts: 2,682Gear list
Like?

Only a weight savings, more dynamic range, and a little higher ISO capabilities.

You will lose the built in flash, if that means anything to you.

You get a warranty.  It will cost you about $1500 more than what you sell the D700 for.

user_name's gear list:user_name's gear list
Leica M8 Nikon D700 Nikon D800
ata3001
Regular MemberPosts: 489Gear list
Like?
In reply to user_name, 7 months ago

D700 is a great camera, but I just sold mine. It is a heavy camera for travel & hand holding. Replaced it with a D610 & my hand says "thank you". I've always preferred heavier cameras, but as I get older, my hands hurt me more. May be to the fact I've had the radial artery removed from each arm from the hand to almost the elbow & I will forever have nerve damage as well.

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28mm f/1.8G +30 more
surrephoto
Regular MemberPosts: 219
Like?

TributeToWalking wrote:

I'm a travel photographer. With all the new cameras coming out (DF, I'm looking at you), is there any reason for me to get something new? Will a DF give me better images? I don't think so, but I'd love to hear other people's thoughts otherwise.

-- hide signature --

D700 is a perfectly fine camera for photographer, especially if you shoot RAW and process with well crafted colour profiles.

The only issue I have with it is hotshoe & general durability issues. I live in the tropics and grip rubber starts wearing out within 2 or 3 months on average. If you shoot regularly or use heavy lenses it could wear out weeks after a change. I'm also worried to get a second hand D700 due to the possible older internals. Sensor, weight & size wise the D700 is the perfect travel cam. Nowadays I do not like to take street photos when travelling as the D3S & D4 are far too intimidating. But the D700 with older, smaller AF-D lenses is real sweet for quick captures on the street. Based on years of use, I find the D700 still has the most balanced AF-C performance, not too fidgety & very accurate.

SamG10
Regular MemberPosts: 309Gear list
Like?

TributeToWalking wrote:

-- hide signature --

D700 or Df, you are a fantastic creator of images, so i say, take your pick man.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?

There is a long list of advantages. Remember that the D700 is years old. Add these improvements to those already mentioned...

- better ISO sensitivity
- 16 MP resolution
- 100% viewfinder frame coverage
- SD card slot
- additional picture controls.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
Gene J. Paull
Senior MemberPosts: 1,516Gear list
Like?
In reply to surrephoto, 7 months ago

surrephoto wrote:

-- hide signature --

D700 is a perfectly fine camera for photographer, especially if you shoot RAW and process with well crafted colour profiles.

But the D700 with older, smaller AF-D lenses is real sweet for quick captures on the street. Based on years of use, I find the D700 still has the most balanced AF-C performance, not too fidgety & very accurate.

Good advice for me as I've been posting everywhere about what camera for Latin America travel.  Have also considered a D7100/18-140 and the newly released Sony RX10.  I have the D700 and older AFD zooms and primes.

Thanks for this thread.

-- hide signature --

Gene in Deep South Texas
http://www.pbase.com/lahuasteca/

Gene J. Paull's gear list:Gene J. Paull's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D80 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Waynerm002
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?

Prior to getting the DI wanted another camera for travel that performed better in low light conditions.  My typical travel kit consisted of the D300 with a 12-24 f4, 28-70 f2.8, a macro lens 60 f2.8 and the 70-200 f2.8.  As well as assorted cables, a flash, batteries, extra memory cards, etc.  I live by the rule it is better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it, so I take enough to cover most of my perceived needs.  On a trip to the Gobi this year, out of my 35lb weight limit, my camera gear was 14lbs.  Needless to say, I had to have another passenger check my gear as he was traveling light.  My most recent trip to China, I took the D300 with the 35 f1.8 DX, 50 f1.8d and the 18-70 DX.  I used the 35 for most of the trip and the other 2 occasionally, walking around with a light sling bag.  I had some back pain from that setup.

When I first handled the DI noticed the weight difference right away, so much so that I considered not getting it.  The Fuji X20 was the other camera I considered for a travel camera.  After the 3rd time handling one, I pulled out the D300 and compared the weight, I then realized this new camera while lighter was also going to be a FF with a lot higher ISO capability similar to the D4, which meant more hand held shots without the need for a flash, has a battery which allows 1400 shots (again, less weight in the bag) and uses less expensive SD cards.  That clinched it for me.  For the rest of the trip I popped the 50 on the body and used the Df.   I took out the other lens, extra battery and memory cards and was very happy with the lighter bag, light weight around my neck and no more back pain.

The D700 has more pro features that the Df do not have which is something to consider as well however, to me, as a FF camera for travel I much prefer it to all the other Nikon offering. The lighter weight means I can have it with me more often than I would the D300.  If you have not yet checked out the Df, you should.  You might be tempted to add that to your bag.  No one can say if it will be for you or not, you ill decide once you have spent some time with it.  I eventually got mime after handling it at 6 different shops in Hong Kong over a few hours.  I am happy with my decision.

Waynerm002's gear list:Waynerm002's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +13 more
MisterHairy
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?

Great a shots. For speed, precision, image quality and general all round reliability, the D700 certainly is hard to beat. A D700 with a low shutter count is a rare beast indeed these days and if I saw one, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +13 more
Biggs23
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,497Gear list
Like?

You're obviously making the most out of your equipment. No need to change unless you shoot at ISO 3200+ regularly. If you do, the fantastic high ISO of the Df might be reason enough to trade up.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. Have a good one and God bless!

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +4 more
Fred Mueller
Senior MemberPosts: 2,345Gear list
Like?

AF-C - agree  - 700 AF performance is just really "well sorted" as the Brits like to say ...

to the OP - stick with what you know - when it's worn out - then replace

Fred Mueller's gear list:Fred Mueller's gear list
Nikon D600
TributeToWalking
Like?

Great point!  I lived in SE Asia for two years (now I'm in Shanghai).  The rubber on my D700 is all coming unglued as well.  I re-apply superglue every now and then, but that is not a permanent solution.

I think I'm going to wait for the Nikon DF2 with better focus and shutter speed :-).  Hopefully, the rubber will stay put.  In SE Asia my body and lenses spend a lot of time around salt water.  Weather sealing and good glue is critical for travel cameras.

-- hide signature --

www.patricklovephotography.com/blog

Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon PC-E Nikkor 45mm f/2.8D ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G +11 more
TributeToWalking
Like?
In reply to Fred Mueller, 7 months ago

Agreed.  I think I'm in an, 'if it aint broke..." type of situation.

-- hide signature --

yray
Contributing MemberPosts: 859
Like?

Very nice.

TributeToWalking
Like?
In reply to Waynerm002, 7 months ago

Great perspective.  Thank you for your comments.

-- hide signature --

Sutto
Regular MemberPosts: 322
Like?

You certainly don't need to hanker over this latest incarnation, you are doing just fine.  I love my D700 and just paid more than what I would for a brand new DF or D800 and bought a mint D3x.  I could not be happier and am not worried one little bit that both of my cameras are 'old' technology.   They took great pic's when they were introduced and still do.

Like me - let your pic's do the talking.

Sutto

philipsuttonphotography.com

ScottRH
Senior MemberPosts: 1,590
Like?
In reply to InTheMist, 7 months ago

InTheMist wrote:

You, sir, are rocking the D700. I wouldn't change a thing unless your clients are demanding more.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

+1

en792
Regular MemberPosts: 413Gear list
Like?
In reply to MisterHairy, 7 months ago

MisterHairy wrote:

Great a shots. For speed, precision, image quality and general all round reliability, the D700 certainly is hard to beat. A D700 with a low shutter count is a rare beast indeed these days and if I saw one, I would snap it up in a heartbeat.

I have two of those rare beasts with low actuations. After much contemplation of 610/800/Df, I'm sticking with them.

en792's gear list:en792's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads