My canon 6D experience so far

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Undah
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,296
Like?
My canon 6D experience so far
9 months ago

I'm comparing to a Sony a57 with good glass.

I got a Canon 6D with 24-105mm L f4 and a 70-300 I.S. USM.

Observations:

Glass matters. The Sony 70-300mm G lens is just better on the Sony a57 than what I have on the Canon. Oh, and that crop factor on a crop sensor is for real, ie I get better closeups at 300mm with the a57 for sure!

I miss the easy live view on the sony, with the ability to fine-tune White Balance before the shot. But I thought the EVF on the Sony was a good until I did a side by side with the Canon, and WOW, how beautiful is that large, bright viewfinder?

High Iso. One of the main reasons I went full frame. It cannot be overemphasized how good this is! I can now shoot in auto iso with impunity, and have not even thought once about noise removal. I have a hand-held shot at night at iso 12,800 that could only be had previously with a tripod. It's simply incredible.

So far, though, my a57 shots are better. This is not unexpected, however, as it always takes me some time to get the best out of a new camera. And in this case, it's a new system, and the numbers are all off (I know exactly what 50mm f4 will give me on aps-c, for example, but now I need to re-learn what this is on full-frame.)

It's still early, less than a full day of shooting and tinkering.

The canon shots need much higher unsharp mask in photoshop. 100/1/0 or 300/0.3/1 vs 450/0.2/0 for the Sony. I guess that just means less in-camera sharpening but that's adjustable. After proper sharpening the images really pop.

Full frame makes shots better, but good glass has a greater effect. It's unfair to compare my Sony 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, ant Tamron 90mm macro on the a57 to the 6D with the equivalent Focal Length on the two zooms I have. Or maybe I just haven't figured out how to get the best out of them yet.

I will miss the 2-axis electronic level on the sony. It's one of those features you get used to and use all the time. Yes the 6D has a one axis level in live view! And sometimes I turn on live view just to use it.  But overall live-view on this cam is slow and cumbersome.

I will miss focus peeking. Another feature that is just too useful not to have.

Using the pad as a remote is awesome, but needs updating as well. It should be an ipad app and not an iphone app that scales up. It should have better focus options and more functions like an intervolometer. Also, I dont think you can change whit balance from the app.

Canon EOS 6D Sony SLT-A57
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
flylow47
Regular MemberPosts: 160Gear list
Like?
Re: My canon 6D experience so far
In reply to Undah, 9 months ago

I can see the level by pressing the info key a couple of times when in normal shooting mode on the 6D. There is an option to disable or enable this feature in the playback-3 menu under "info button display options."  Too bad it's not in the viewfinder; the 70D does both.

Right on with the low light. I'm really enjoying that myself (6D arrived today) and put on my 50 1.4 to play around with it.

This is going to be a fun camera.

flylow47's gear list:flylow47's gear list
Canon PowerShot G15 Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Plastek
Contributing MemberPosts: 558Gear list
Like?

Undah wrote:

Observations:

Glass matters. The Sony 70-300mm G lens is just better on the Sony a57 than what I have on the Canon. Oh, and that crop factor on a crop sensor is for real, ie I get better closeups at 300mm with the a57 for sure!

So far, though, my a57 shots are better. This is not unexpected, however, as it always takes me some time to get the best out of a new camera. And in this case, it's a new system, and the numbers are all off (I know exactly what 50mm f4 will give me on aps-c, for example, but now I need to re-learn what this is on full-frame.)

One of the simple, well known truths: Sony shines with bodies. They're uber-high tech and can do tons of stuff no other system can. Canon shines with lenses - especially exotic glass like T&S or MP-E macro lenses, stuff that you can't really get for A-mount. (that said though Sony still got some brilliant lenses that beat crap out of Canon - like 70-400 or 135 f/1.8 or STF - but you don't have any of these, so move to Canon will be less painful for you )

There always will be things that 6D can't replace your A57 in. Get used to that, and just find the parts where 6D shines over A57, as there's plenty of them.

brightcolours
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,455
Like?

Undah wrote:

Observations:

Glass matters. The Sony 70-300mm G lens is just better on the Sony a57 than what I have on the Canon.

That Sony lens is also quite a bit more expensive (twice the amount)... The Canon EF 70-300mm L IS USM is even better than the Sony, but again, more expensive.

Oh, and that crop factor on a crop sensor is for real, ie I get better closeups at 300mm with the a57 for sure!

Yes, for reach APS-C of course has an advantage.

I miss the easy live view on the sony, with the ability to fine-tune White Balance before the shot. But I thought the EVF on the Sony was a good until I did a side by side with the Canon, and WOW, how beautiful is that large, bright viewfinder?

High Iso. One of the main reasons I went full frame. It cannot be overemphasized how good this is! I can now shoot in auto iso with impunity, and have not even thought once about noise removal. I have a hand-held shot at night at iso 12,800 that could only be had previously with a tripod. It's simply incredible.

It's still early, less than a full day of shooting and tinkering.

The canon shots need much higher unsharp mask in photoshop. 100/1/0 or 300/0.3/1 vs 450/0.2/0 for the Sony. I guess that just means less in-camera sharpening but that's adjustable. After proper sharpening the images really pop.

Maybe that Sony has a bit lighter AA filter, or maybe you are shooting JPEG and have to tinker with the sharpening settings to get them more matched. Also, if you shoot at similar f-values, of course the APS-C camera will have a bigger DOF.

Full frame makes shots better, but good glass has a greater effect. It's unfair to compare my Sony 35mm f1.8, 50mm f1.4, ant Tamron 90mm macro on the a57 to the 6D with the equivalent Focal Length on the two zooms I have.

It should not be too different, as long as you use comparable aperture settings. So for f4 on the Sony, use f4 x 1.5 = f6 (f6.3) on the Canon. That will give you similar DOF to compare.

Or maybe I just haven't figured out how to get the best out of them yet.

I will miss the 2-axis electronic level on the sony. It's one of those features you get used to and use all the time. Yes the 6D has a one axis level in live view! And sometimes I turn on live view just to use it. But overall live-view on this cam is slow and cumbersome.

The live view is not slow in any way, but I guess you are referring to the contrast detect AF in live view. It is lens dependent, but the faster STM lenses are all APS-C except the 40mm f2.8 (which btw has a slower compact STM implementation). Your 6D can focus fast in live view too, but then you have to switch the live view AF to phase detection (Quick mode). The screen will black out during AF, but the AF is fast.

On the electronic level... Teach yourself to use the AF point markings for reference, that works well and becomes 2nd nature. You can also get a different focus screen from Canon, the Eg-D, which gives you a grid in the OVF.

http://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/focusing-screen-eg-d

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Canon-Eg-D-Precision-Matte-Focusing-Grid-Screen-for-Canon-EOS-5D-Mark-II-/160953959102

The 5D mkII Eg focus screens are compatible with the 6D.

Oh, and you can also use the level without live view, but that is only practical on a tripod.

That is for manual focus. I use an Eg-S focussing screen with the OVF to give a better view on sharpness and DOF, but with f4 lenses it is easy enough with the standard focus screen and the Eg-D. I use the Eg-S because of f1.2-2 lenses (35mm f2, 55mm f1.2, 85mm f1.8, 140mm f1.8).

For focus peeking and other advanced toys you could decide to put a beta version of the magic lantern firmware on an SD card on your 6D. But you should read up on how to go about it and study that first.

Using the pad as a remote is awesome, but needs updating as well. It should be an ipad app and not an iphone app that scales up. It should have better focus options and more functions like an intervolometer. Also, I dont think you can change whit balance from the app.

You seem to want to change white balance way too much. In general, one only needs to set the WB to anything other than "daylight" for sunny days and "cloudy" on overcast days in odd light situations, and then only once unless the light changes again.

WillC2807
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
You can display the level in the viewfinder

It uses the exposure bars. The DOF preview button can be programmed to turn it on and off. See C.FnIII-5.

sean lancaster
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,319Gear list
Like?
In reply to brightcolours, 9 months ago

brightcolours wrote:

Undah wrote:

I will miss the 2-axis electronic level on the sony. It's one of those features you get used to and use all the time. Yes the 6D has a one axis level in live view! And sometimes I turn on live view just to use it. But overall live-view on this cam is slow and cumbersome.

The live view is not slow in any way, but I guess you are referring to the contrast detect AF in live view. It is lens dependent, but the faster STM lenses are all APS-C except the 40mm f2.8 (which btw has a slower compact STM implementation). Your 6D can focus fast in live view too, but then you have to switch the live view AF to phase detection (Quick mode). The screen will black out during AF, but the AF is fast.

I have a Sony NEX 5N and purchased an RX1, Nikon D600, and now largely use a Canon 6D. The 6D and D600 LiveViews seem generations behind the Sonys and it's not even close. They are absolutely slow compared to the Sonys. I barely use LV on my 6D now unless I just can't get my eye to the VF. Fortunately, the 6D is fast through the OVF and center focus point is fairly unparalleled in low light with these settings (at least with any camera within a few thousand dollars).

That is for manual focus. I use an Eg-S focussing screen with the OVF to give a better view on sharpness and DOF, but with f4 lenses it is easy enough with the standard focus screen and the Eg-D. I use the Eg-S because of f1.2-2 lenses (35mm f2, 55mm f1.2, 85mm f1.8, 140mm f1.8).

Agree with brightcolors here. I added the Eg-S and haven't looked back. But my slowest lens is f/2.8. I think the Eg-S does not work well with lenses slower than f/2.8, but you'd have to check that yourself (it gets dark pretty quickly with slower lenses).

Focus peaking is the one feature I miss the most from my Sonys. Even with an AF lens, I can use a setting called DMF, which allows my NEX 5N to AF like normal. I can then start to manual focus and as soon as I twist the manual focus ring at all, the LCD zooms to 100% so I can critically focus (e.g., eyelashes) and get visual feedback (though, my eyes can see sharpness as well). It takes a split second typically and ensures 100% keepers so that I avoid the eyebrow being in focus or tip of the nose and not the eyes themselves (particularly useful at f/1.4). As brightcolors noted, there is a beta version of Magic Lantern that offers focus peaking. I have not had the gumption to try it yet, but it's a free option for the adventurous.

You seem to want to change white balance way too much. In general, one only needs to set the WB to anything other than "daylight" for sunny days and "cloudy" on overcast days in odd light situations, and then only once unless the light changes again.

I think a lot of people complain about florescent and incandescent lighting causing issues with WB. There are a host of household lighting scenes that many cameras struggle to get right. But I'd set that before shooting from the app.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Undah
Like?

Lots of good tips here..

Use af square as level, WB for situation etc.

brightcolours
Like?
In reply to sean lancaster, 9 months ago

sean lancaster wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

Undah wrote:

As I pointed out, it is lens dependent. Lenses designed for PD AF will be slow to AF with contrast detect AF. Same for Sony, put an A-mount lens on the camera.

But as I pointed out, if for whatever reason you do not want to use the OVF but live view, and still want to AF with the lens, and it needs to be fast, you can use PD AF. When in future more lenses in the Canon line up sport STM, more lenses will offer quicker contrast detect AF in live view.

I have a Sony NEX 5N and purchased an RX1, Nikon D600, and now largely use a Canon 6D. The 6D and D600 LiveViews seem generations behind the Sonys and it's not even close. They are absolutely slow compared to the Sonys. I barely use LV on my 6D now unless I just can't get my eye to the VF. Fortunately, the 6D is fast through the OVF and center focus point is fairly unparalleled in low light with these settings (at least with any camera within a few thousand dollars).

Agree with brightcolors here. I added the Eg-S and haven't looked back. But my slowest lens is f/2.8. I think the Eg-S does not work well with lenses slower than f/2.8, but you'd have to check that yourself (it gets dark pretty quickly with slower lenses).

Outside, f5.6 lenses are fine with Eg-S. Indoors at low light conditions, things do get dark. Whether that is still workable for one is personal.

Focus peaking is the one feature I miss the most from my Sonys. Even with an AF lens, I can use a setting called DMF, which allows my NEX 5N to AF like normal. I can then start to manual focus and as soon as I twist the manual focus ring at all, the LCD zooms to 100% so I can critically focus (e.g., eyelashes) and get visual feedback (though, my eyes can see sharpness as well). It takes a split second typically and ensures 100% keepers so that I avoid the eyebrow being in focus or tip of the nose and not the eyes themselves (particularly useful at f/1.4). As brightcolors noted, there is a beta version of Magic Lantern that offers focus peaking. I have not had the gumption to try it yet, but it's a free option for the adventurous.

I think a lot of people complain about florescent and incandescent lighting causing issues with WB. There are a host of household lighting scenes that many cameras struggle to get right. But I'd set that before shooting from the app.

brightcolours
Like?
Re: You can display the level in the viewfinder
In reply to WillC2807, 9 months ago

WillC2807 wrote:

It uses the exposure bars. The DOF preview button can be programmed to turn it on and off. See C.FnIII-5.

Nice, I did not know that. Thanks for this useful tip.

sean lancaster
Like?

brightcolours wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

Undah wrote:

As I pointed out, it is lens dependent. Lenses designed for PD AF will be slow to AF with contrast detect AF. Same for Sony, put an A-mount lens on the camera.

But as I pointed out, if for whatever reason you do not want to use the OVF but live view, and still want to AF with the lens, and it needs to be fast, you can use PD AF. When in future more lenses in the Canon line up sport STM, more lenses will offer quicker contrast detect AF in live view.

I've largely used a Sigma 35/1.4 Art and Canon 100/2.8L. But I notice my 40 pancake has STM so I'll see how it differs. Thanks.

Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +2 more
Undah
Like?

sean lancaster wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

Undah wrote:

I've largely used a Sigma 35/1.4 Art and Canon 100/2.8L. But I notice my 40 pancake has STM so I'll see how it differs. Thanks.

That sigma 35mm 1.4 is probably my next lens. How do you like it?

sean lancaster
Like?

Undah wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

Undah wrote:

That sigma 35mm 1.4 is probably my next lens. How do you like it?

My favorite lens of all time. On my 6D 85% of the time.

Caerolle
Senior MemberPosts: 1,378Gear list
Like?
In reply to WillC2807, 9 months ago

WillC2807 wrote:

Problem is, you can't see the level indication and the shooting parameters at the same time in the viewfinder. As soon as you half-press the shutter release, the level indicator goes away. So, I try to find something vertical or horizontal and line up the AF points markers with that.

Caerolle's gear list:Caerolle's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,000Gear list
Like?

sean lancaster wrote:

brightcolours wrote:

Undah wrote:

Canon DSLR owners use LV mainly for video, MF on tripod (thru 10x LV) that has the highest focus accuracy than any other focus methods, or if you want to push slower shutter by leveraging first electronic curtain.  70D is the first Canon DSLR dramatically improves AF speed in LV thru the dual-pixel PDAF technology that is expected to be further improved and implemented likely in future Canon FF cameras.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Caerolle
Like?
In reply to qianp2k, 9 months ago

qianp2k wrote:

70D is the first Canon DSLR dramatically improves AF speed in LV thru the dual-pixel PDAF technology that is expected to be further improved and implemented likely in future Canon FF cameras.

Focusing on the back of a large, heavy dSLR is not so fun, though, at least to me. I feel the big advance will be when they can do an EVF overlay from live view so you can use the viewfinder. I don't know if that is possible, but I would love a camera like that!

The 70D is pretty awesome as it is, though. I just bought a 6D, but would have bought a 70D instead if high-quality EF-S primes were available, in focal lengths to give appropriate full-frame equivalents. As it is, you have to get full-frame lenses anyhow, and the 6D is pretty much the same size and weight at the 70D, so why not get the 6D, was my though process. I guess if you shoot zooms, there are more crop-specific options, and of course the 70D is a bit cheaper, and you get more 'reach' and depth of field if you need those (for example, macro).

I do love my 6D though! The only big thing I would want is for some way to set white balance to a button, instead of having to go into a menu. Why could they have not made that an option for button customization?

Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 28mm f/2.8 IS USM Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD 1:1 Macro
brightcolours
Like?
In reply to Caerolle, 9 months ago

Caerolle wrote:

qianp2k wrote:

70D is the first Canon DSLR dramatically improves AF speed in LV thru the dual-pixel PDAF technology that is expected to be further improved and implemented likely in future Canon FF cameras.

Focusing on the back of a large, heavy dSLR is not so fun, though, at least to me. I feel the big advance will be when they can do an EVF overlay from live view so you can use the viewfinder. I don't know if that is possible, but I would love a camera like that!

The 70D is pretty awesome as it is, though. I just bought a 6D, but would have bought a 70D instead if high-quality EF-S primes were available, in focal lengths to give appropriate full-frame equivalents.

There are a number of APS-C friendly primes available. Compared to big FF primes usually they just are a big shallow DOF challenged.

• Just announced, a 16mm FF equivalent, the Samyang 10mm f2.8.
  • The pancake Voigtländer 20mm f3.5 SL II, 32mm FF equivalent. Very compact, beautifully built MF lens.
  • The old EF 24mm f2.8 and the new EF 24mm f2.8 IS USM, 38.5mm FF equivalent. Both very good.
  • The pancake Voigtländer 28mm SL II (beautifully built compact MF lens), and Canon EF 28mm f2.8 IS USM. 45mm FF equivalent. Both very good.
  • The Sigma 30mm f1.4 EX DC HSM Art. Very nice APS-C lens, 48mm FF equivalent.
  • The Canon EF 35mm f2 (light compact lens, I like this lens a lot on APS-C) and its bigger and heavier EF 35mm f2 IS USM replacement. Very nice lenses, 56mm FF equivalent.
  • The Canon EF 40mm f2.8 STM, Voigtländer 40mm f2 SL II, 64mm FF equivalent.
  • The Tamron 60mm f2 Di II macro, 96mm FF equivalent.
  • Canon EF 50mm f1.8 II. 80mm FF equivalent.
  • The Canon EF 85mm f1.8 USM, 135mm FF equivalent.
  • And then there is the big and heavy Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 DC Art. Not a prime, but some see it as a collection of 3 primes in one.

All in all, it is well possible to find a nice selection of primes specifically suited for APS-C use, to get a more compact kit. Of course, if one's objective is more shallow DOF, FF is the way to go.

As it is, you have to get full-frame lenses anyhow, and the 6D is pretty much the same size and weight at the 70D, so why not get the 6D, was my though process. I guess if you shoot zooms, there are more crop-specific options, and of course the 70D is a bit cheaper, and you get more 'reach' and depth of field if you need those (for example, macro).

You do not get more DOF. That remains aperture dependent, and apertures can almost always be set smaller on lenses. So unless you shoot at silly small aperture settings (f22, f32, f45) there is no "more" DOF.

I do love my 6D though! The only big thing I would want is for some way to set white balance to a button, instead of having to go into a menu. Why could they have not made that an option for button customization?

I agree with WB should have been on a button but if you use the Q button and select WB from there, the next time the Q button still is on WB. So if you don't use it for anything else (I don't for now), the Q button basically becomes the WB button.

Rock and Rollei
Regular MemberPosts: 435Gear list
Like?

Caerolle wrote:

WillC2807 wrote:

Problem is, you can't see the level indication and the shooting parameters at the same time in the viewfinder. As soon as you half-press the shutter release, the level indicator goes away. So, I try to find something vertical or horizontal and line up the AF points markers with that.

I just use a gridded screen - has the advantage of being able to line up lines that aren't quite vertical or horizontal as if they were.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 30D Canon EOS 450D Kodak DCS Pro SLR/c Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 +34 more
Caerolle
Like?
In reply to Rock and Rollei, 9 months ago

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

WillC2807 wrote:

I just use a gridded screen - has the advantage of being able to line up lines that aren't quite vertical or horizontal as if they were.

Do you mean a focus screen, down in the mirrorbox, or a screen that goes in the eyepiece on the outside of the viewfinder?

jpegman
Contributing MemberPosts: 658Gear list
Like?

Caerolle wrote:

Do you mean a focus screen, down in the mirrorbox, or a screen that goes in the eyepiece on the outside of the viewfinder?

I use a "Gridded" screen also on my 6D (The Eg-D focus screen from Canon).

What other options are there - what screen "goes in the eyepiece outside of the viewfinder"?

Jpegman

jpegman's gear list:jpegman's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
Caerolle
Like?
In reply to jpegman, 9 months ago

jpegman wrote:

Caerolle wrote:

I use a "Gridded" screen also on my 6D (The Eg-D focus screen from Canon).

What other options are there - what screen "goes in the eyepiece outside of the viewfinder"?

Jpegman

Lol, no other options that *I* know of, that is why I was asking!  

I knew you could change focus screens on the 6D, was just hoping he meant something you could put on your viewfinder. Those focus screens seem pretty easy to change, though.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads