Astonishing ISO performance from Fuji X-E2 (comparing to Df)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Lordsegan
Regular MemberPosts: 160
Like?
Astonishing ISO performance from Fuji X-E2 (comparing to Df)
4 months ago

I just bought a Nikon Df, and I am 99% sure I am going to keep it because I have a ton of Nikon lenses and just like the camera.

However, I was utterly shocked to see that the 6400 ISO performance is almost literally matched 1:1 by the Fuji X-E2 in the dpreview high ISO scene: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m1/17 (I tweaked the settings for RAW and to display the Fuji and Df).

Makes me wonder a bit.... if someone made a FF sensor with the Fuji technology what might be possible....

Does the Nikon have some advantage in post that the Fuji doesn't have?

Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
philharris
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?
Re: Astonishing ISO performance from Fuji X-E2 (comparing to Df)
In reply to Lordsegan, 4 months ago

Hmm, either you looked at the wrong cameras by mistake or I think a visit to the opticians is in order.

philharris's gear list:philharris's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,033Gear list
Like?

Yeah, I can't imagine what you're looking at either.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
Horshack
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,814
Like?
XE-2 isn't even the best APS-C sensor

Let alone being able to compete with the lowest-noise FF sensor available. The D7100 outperforms the XE-1/XE-2 at High ISO: XE-1 vs D7100.

anotherMike
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,733
Like?

Astonishing? Um - not even close man. Take a look at the color patches. The fuji high ISO, frankly, is miserable at 3200 and above. The DF kills it.

-m

Lordsegan
Like?

OK.. I am going to look again...

lol.. I am willing to be wrong.

Lordsegan
Like?
In reply to philharris, 4 months ago

philharris wrote:

Hmm, either you looked at the wrong cameras by mistake or I think a visit to the opticians is in order.

I looked again.

The Nikon is certainly a little bit better. The crop that you posted is probably the single most significant area of difference (maybe a focus difference actually).

Let me direct you attention to the sponge in the upper left. It is 95% similar. I still think it is astonishing that a tiny $1000 camera can compete with the Df. They are certainly in the same "class" by my eye.

Please tell me in detail (I want to learn) how/if I am wrong.

EDIT: The other place I can see a major difference is the skin of the man and woman in the "dark" area on the left. The Fuji looks *very* blotchy where the Nikon retains normal grain.

Lordsegan
Like?

Here is the area where the Fuji looks like it almost edges the Nikon.

hectorsm
Regular MemberPosts: 108
Like?

To me the Nikon DF look better.  Lower noise and more detail.

dustyj
Regular MemberPosts: 234Gear list
Like?
In reply to hectorsm, 4 months ago

The DF is definitely better but we're definitely reaching the point where DX sensors are holding their own vs the best FX sensors. The gap is closing! I hoping this inspires nikon and canon to be innovative and give us a reason to continue spending big money on their products.
--
http://www.flickr.com/photos/onepointfour/

dustyj's gear list:dustyj's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
InTheMist
Senior MemberPosts: 2,033Gear list
Like?
In reply to hectorsm, 4 months ago

hectorsm wrote:

To me the Nikon DF look better. Lower noise and more detail.

I see the same.

-- hide signature --

It's more important how an image looks as a thumbnail than how it looks at 100%.
http://inthemistphoto.com

InTheMist's gear list:InTheMist's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +9 more
The_Suede
Regular MemberPosts: 493
Like?
Check exposure values

The X-E2 does the same as most Fujifilms, Olympuses and some others - use a loophole in the definition of ISO values that allow them to state higher nominal values than others.

If you want to compare, compare with constant light and constant settings. In this case it means that the X-E2 needs ISO10,000 (reported) to get the same shutter speeds as the D-f gets at ISO6400 (reported).

So, if you want reality, compare the Fujifilm ISO12800 result to the D-f ISO6400 result. They're a lot closer in real-life. Those values are what you'd have to use if you wanted to get 1/20s or better at F5.6 in a certain light, with the cameras you compared.

The X-E2 is still good, but not really that close.

Lordsegan
Like?
Re: Check exposure values
In reply to The_Suede, 4 months ago

The_Suede wrote:

The X-E2 does the same as most Fujifilms, Olympuses and some others - use a loophole in the definition of ISO values that allow them to state higher nominal values than others.

If you want to compare, compare with constant light and constant settings. In this case it means that the X-E2 needs ISO10,000 (reported) to get the same shutter speeds as the D-f gets at ISO6400 (reported).

So, if you want reality, compare the Fujifilm ISO12800 result to the D-f ISO6400 result. They're a lot closer in real-life. Those values are what you'd have to use if you wanted to get 1/20s or better at F5.6 in a certain light, with the cameras you compared.

The X-E2 is still good, but not really that close.

Thank you. This helps explain what I am seeing.

I am still very very impressed with the Fuji. But I will get back to stroking my Df now...

SamG10
Regular MemberPosts: 304Gear list
Like?

Lordsegan wrote:

philharris wrote:

I looked again.

The Nikon is certainly a little bit better. The crop that you posted is probably the single most significant area of difference (maybe a focus difference actually).

Let me direct you attention to the sponge in the upper left. It is 95% similar. I still think it is astonishing that a tiny $1000 camera can compete with the Df. They are certainly in the same "class" by my eye.

Please tell me in detail (I want to learn) how/if I am wrong.

EDIT: The other place I can see a major difference is the skin of the man and woman in the "dark" area on the left. The Fuji looks *very* blotchy where the Nikon retains normal grain.

Phrases like "can compete with the Df"  and "certainly in the same class"  are not only stretching it but perhaps judging the quality comparison very poorly.

SamG10's gear list:SamG10's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D1X Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
philharris
Regular MemberPosts: 135Gear list
Like?

Lordsegan wrote:

Here is the area where the Fuji looks like it almost edges the Nikon.

Well, it's a sponge.

If you ignore the sponge, which is almost the perfect subject to disguise sensor noise, and concentrate on the wooden shafts of the two brushes you will notice a huge difference.

The suggestion that the image from the Fuji is even in the same ball park is a bit daft I'm afraid.

I'm glad you are enjoying your Df, I got mine two days ago and have not been as excited by a new Nikon since I got my F2 in 1974, a truly fabulous camera.

philharris's gear list:philharris's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +11 more
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,423Gear list
Like?

Fuji XE1 does have great high ISO performance but its about a stop or so worse than D800E. DF should be a stop better than D800E.

As mentioned in the previous post if you look up ISO in Wikipedia it states there are several methods of calculating that and the Organisation allows manufacturers to chose which one they use.

Fuji clearly uses a method that overstates the ISO. I have used my XE1 in this way for about a year and ISO6400 is really only about a Nikon ISO4000 at a guess.

Sony and Nikon ISO seem to be the same.

Greg.

DonSantos
Senior MemberPosts: 1,033Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 4 months ago

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

DF should be a stop better than D800E.

Oh really?  I never heard that claim before.

Are you saying that x-e2 is 2 stops worse than df?

DonSantos's gear list:DonSantos's gear list
Nikon D600 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Lordsegan
Like?
In reply to DonSantos, 4 months ago

DonSantos wrote:

Astrophotographer 10 wrote:

DF should be a stop better than D800E.

Oh really? I never heard that claim before.

Are you saying that x-e2 is 2 stops worse than df?

Some people are saying the Df is about 1/3 a stop better than the D4. This is mostly pure internet speculation, but based on that, I think some are surmising it may be a full stop better than the D800. It's probably less than that in most use scenarios. I think someone in another thread said it best when they said the D800 falls apart a little when you underexpose it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads