D800 vs D800E

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Kruxan
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
D800 vs D800E
4 months ago

Hey!

I will do some heavy cropping but I probably wont print anything large. Is it still worth the extra money for the D800E?

I mostly shoot landscapes, portraits and macro.

Nikon D800 Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
iJoost
Regular MemberPosts: 104
Like?
Re: D800 vs D800E
In reply to Kruxan, 4 months ago

No.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Zlik
Contributing MemberPosts: 941
Like?

Kruxan wrote:

Hey!

I will do some heavy cropping but I probably wont print anything large. Is it still worth the extra money for the D800E?

Depends on what that extra money is in your country. Here in Switzerland, the D800 has come down to 2300$ while the D800E is still at 3100$. Which means that here, the D800E is definitely NOT worth the "extra money" ;).

I would pay max 200-300$ more for the E. You actually only see a difference at optimum apertures, low ISOs, and when irreproachable technique is used.

If the price difference is bigger than 300$, I'd put that money towards better/new glass.

Simon Garrett
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,585Gear list
Like?

The D800 can give slightly higher resolution with very good lenses between about f/4 and f/5.6. But only in about that range of aperture, and only if your lenses are good enough. After sharpening the difference will be fairly small.

The D800E is slightly more prone to moire patterning (colour paterning) - which may occur when you are photographing regular paterns (fabrics, buildings or other man-made objects especially). Most people say that moire patterning isn't very common, but when it does occur it's quite hard to get rid of it in post processing.

For me it wasn't worth paying extra for a D800E - but that was an easy choice as I don't have many top-end lenses. Even if I did, I'm not sure I'd go for the E.

See the dpreview page http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d800-d800e/22 where it says:

It's only at the lens's very sharpest apertures, i.e. F4 - F5.6, that the difference between the D800 and D800E is really pronounced. The latter gives clearly higher contrast, but at the expense of the more-prominent moiré that we noted earlier.

Frankly, when I look at their test images I wouldn't say "really pronounced" for either resolution or moire difference "slight, but visible" would be more like it.

-- hide signature --

Simon

Simon Garrett's gear list:Simon Garrett's gear list
Nikon D800
M35G35
Regular MemberPosts: 148Gear list
Like?

Being a D800E and comparing to another D800 I would also say no. Use the money for better glass.

M35G35's gear list:M35G35's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +12 more
4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
In reply to iJoost, 4 months ago

iJoost wrote:

No.

I started with the D800 and then decided to go with the D800E. So much better.

camerosity
Regular MemberPosts: 272Gear list
Like?

Kruxan wrote:

Hey!

Not unless you shoot wide open most or all of the time. The D800E only exceeds the D800 in terms of image quality below f5.6. At f5.6 and above you will never be able to tell the difference.

4x5 Guy
Contributing MemberPosts: 847
Like?
In reply to camerosity, 4 months ago

camerosity wrote:

Kruxan wrote:

Hey!

Not unless you shoot wide open most or all of the time. The D800E only exceeds the D800 in terms of image quality below f5.6. At f5.6 and above you will never be able to tell the difference.

I was able to see differences  at f16 or f22.

elliotn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016
Like?
In reply to 4x5 Guy, 4 months ago

4x5 Guy wrote:

camerosity wrote:

Kruxan wrote:

Hey!

I was able to see differences at f16 or f22.

Care to share?

dasams
Contributing MemberPosts: 985
Like?
In reply to elliotn, 4 months ago

elliotn wrote:

4x5 Guy wrote:

I was able to see differences at f16 or f22.

Care to share?

You're not likely to see examples supporting his view as diffraction will trump the lack of an AA filter.

Stuart001
Regular MemberPosts: 331Gear list
Like?

I just went through the same process and after reading a great deal of information and tests decided on the D800. The extra money didn't come into it, but I wanted the most versatile camera for the work I do, which is travel and urban landscapes. I regularly use a tripod, but equally often walk streets with a hand held camera.

Nikon say themselves of the D800e:

"This is an ideal tool for photographers who can control light, distance and their subjects to the degree where they can mitigate the occurrence of moiré. Aside from the optical filter, all functions and features are the same as on the D800."

So I went with the D800. Many will tell you that the 'E' is better, but it is just different.

One thing for sure though--read the D800 technical guide before you buy.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

It's quite illuminating.

Stuart001's gear list:Stuart001's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +9 more
sjprg
Senior MemberPosts: 1,811Gear list
Like?
In reply to dasams, 4 months ago

I agree with 4X5 Guy, I don't shoot below F11, and always on a tripod for landscapes. (Nikon 24mmF2.8 G)

This checkerspot butterfly was shot handheld with the 800E and processed with PS6CC 8.3RC.

Raw to 100% crop JPG

-- hide signature --

Paul

sjprg's gear list:sjprg's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D800E Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM +8 more
Kruxan
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?

Thank you all! You've been very helpful.

I think I will settle for the D800 and use the money I save (around 615$ here in Sweden) for a good tripod

TITCHY
Contributing MemberPosts: 986Gear list
Like?
In reply to sjprg, 4 months ago

this shot of some butterflies was also shot handheld ,but with the D800.

I used my friends D800e for a couple of weeks before I bought my own D800, price being the main reason ,but to be honest I saw no difference in detail above f5.6-f8

this shot was taken at f7.1 @1/250th with an ISO of 1000

without the deffraction associated with high "f" numbers.

you will not see any benefit from using the "E" variant if you insist on shooting above F8-ish, anyone can increase sharpening afterwards but out of camera files will be as good with the D800 at higher f stops. and to see any benifit you will need avobe average glass too.

Kodachrome200
Contributing MemberPosts: 743Gear list
Like?

Kruxan wrote:

Hey!

probably not... I have a D800 and its about as sharp as a camera gets. that said id still do it. i got a d800  because when i got it there was just no getting a d800e. since ive looked into it and switching would cost almost a grand. i woudlnt give up having the d800 right off the bat so im ok with it but given the choice id have thrown out the extra money

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
Dragon10
New MemberPosts: 15
Like?
In reply to sjprg, 4 months ago

sjprg wrote:

I agree with 4X5 Guy, I don't shoot below F11, and always on a tripod for landscapes. (Nikon 24mmF2.8 G)

This checkerspot butterfly was shot handheld with the 800E and processed with PS6CC 8.3RC.

Raw to 100% crop JPG

-- hide signature --

Paul

Although this shot is extremely sharp, it doesn't illustrate the differences between the two cameras at that aperture. I know that most people don’t own both cameras, but the above photo is still an isolated example with no meaningful comparison. Great shot nonetheless!

Humanoid
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,461Gear list
Like?
In reply to TITCHY, 4 months ago

TITCHY wrote:

this shot of some butterflies was also shot handheld ,but with the D800.

I used my friends D800e for a couple of weeks before I bought my own D800, price being the main reason ,but to be honest I saw no difference in detail above f5.6-f8

this shot was taken at f7.1 @1/250th with an ISO of 1000

without the deffraction associated with high "f" numbers.

you will not see any benefit from using the "E" variant if you insist on shooting above F8-ish, anyone can increase sharpening afterwards but out of camera files will be as good with the D800 at higher f stops. and to see any benifit you will need avobe average glass too.

Excellent image!

Ray

Humanoid's gear list:Humanoid's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +7 more
The Andy G
Senior MemberPosts: 1,048Gear list
Like?

Moiré is a easily handled issue should it arise (some cloths and city landscapes) but apart from what you're shooting, there is a question of how you are delivering.

If you are never delivering large format images, there's a good case for not buying a D800e. A 14-bit D800 image is already wonderful. The potential for the 'e' variant to deliver spot improvements on selected portions of the same image is there, and how much that is worth to you is subjective.

But again, if 99 per cent of the time you are delivering 1024 eight-bit jpegs, why bother?

-- hide signature --

Could you all move half an inch to the left? Okay, pretend you like each other and smile.

The Andy G's gear list:The Andy G's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G
brianric
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,902Gear list
Like?
In reply to The Andy G, 4 months ago

I have both and haven't seen any difference, but I don't go out and run tests to see which camera is better.

brianric's gear list:brianric's gear list
Sony RX100 Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +15 more
calson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,149
Like?

Initially the expectation was that there would be more situations with problems with IQ with the D800e but in reality the experiences of most photographers has been the opposite. Search for posts on IQ not on forums but for articles by Nikon people and pro photographers and the like.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads