Fuji X Pro 1 or XE 2

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Nishi Sharma
Contributing MemberPosts: 543
Like?
Fuji X Pro 1 or XE 2
7 months ago

If you were to choose between XPro 1 and XE-2, which will be your choice?

I am asking this because at the moment in the UK there is a very tempting limited offer available:

X Pro 1 + 18mm + 1 free lens of your choice + Bellingha bag =  Stg 949

The two lenses alone will be worth Stg 694, so the body will cost me only Stg 255, which if I sold will sell on ebay for about stg 400+.

XE 2 for Stg Stg 799.

I am a wedding and event photographer and would be interested in hearing what you might have done if you were me.

Dave Luttmann
Forum ProPosts: 12,291Gear list
Like?
Re: Fuji X Pro 1 or XE 2
In reply to Nishi Sharma, 7 months ago

As a wedding photographer myself, I'd say both are excellent, but the X-Pro1 experience is better.  However, with the EX2 focus improvements I'd probably grab that and get the X-Pro2 next year so you have two working bodies.  Then grab the 23,35 and 56.

Dave Luttmann's gear list:Dave Luttmann's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Filipphotography
Forum MemberPosts: 65Gear list
Like?

Mind you, I am new to Fuji and I don't have experience about the 2 cameras, here's why I just chose the X-E2, which is arriving tomorrow.

My dad has the X-Pro 1 and it's REALLY nice. I was so blown away that I decided to buy me a Fuji as well. AMAZING image quality and great camera built. I did hate its optical viewfinder though. I found it pointless. It's far from WYSIWYG (I understand you don't get 100% of what you see, but it's way way way off IMO). Per the million reviews I read before making the purchase, the X-E2 is newer, cheaper, and is a little bit better than the X-Pro 1.

So why pay more for the X-Pro 1 when the X-E2 delivers that and more? If you have no problem with the EVF, then consider the X-E2.

Filipphotography's gear list:Filipphotography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
southpaw74
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
In reply to Filipphotography, 7 months ago

Check out fujifilm uk for refurbs. Just got my x-pro1 on the for £450. 12 months warranty too. You'll need to google for 10% discount.

southpaw74
Regular MemberPosts: 428
Like?
In reply to southpaw74, 7 months ago

Not sure if the link works but just uploaded a bunch of new pic with my refurb x-pro1

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63567230@N08/

Nishi Sharma
Like?
In reply to Dave Luttmann, 7 months ago

Dave Luttmann wrote:

As a wedding photographer myself, I'd say both are excellent, but the X-Pro1 experience is better. However, with the EX2 focus improvements I'd probably grab that and get the X-Pro2 next year so you have two working bodies. Then grab the 23,35 and 56.

Hi Dave, may be after the firmware updater focus issue would be resolved - due on 19th I believe. I spoke the Fuji rep at Calumet trade show last month and he said X-Pro 2 is due to be out in 2015.

You said X-Pro1 experience is better. As a fellow wedding photographer I would appreciate your observations.

With the current deal the X-Pro1 will only cost me Stg 255, which is amazing. But should I ignore that and just go for X-E2?

Thanks.

Nishi Sharma
Like?
In reply to southpaw74, 7 months ago

southpaw74 wrote:

Check out fujifilm uk for refurbs. Just got my x-pro1 on the for £450. 12 months warranty too. You'll need to google for 10% discount.

Good to know that but with the current deal X-Pro1 will only cost me Stg 255, hence the temptation to go for it.

Nishi Sharma
Like?

BTW, X-Pro 1 users, do you find the slow refresh rate off-putting?

What about the image displayed in the EVF? Good enough?

I have played around with X-E2 and the refresh- rate of the EVF and the image quality is unbelievable.

Al Valentino
Senior MemberPosts: 4,348Gear list
Like?

Since the X-Pro1 cost so little with the package, wonder if you could go for that option then sell it new and use the money to invest in the Xe2?

One thing to consider is the OVF does not work well with the 14mm, the long zoom and likely the 10-24 zoom since they are so longer, wider or fatter. Also, manual legacy glass will not focus in the OVF - like my manual Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. So if these lenses will be used then OVF might be useless, making the faster AF XE2 a better choice. If it was me I would go for the XE2 for those reasons as the OVF would only work well with one of my 5 lenses.

-- hide signature --

Fuji XE1 w/14, 18-55, 55-200, Rokinon 8mm Fisheye & Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro

Al Valentino's gear list:Al Valentino's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more
Nishi Sharma
Like?
In reply to Al Valentino, 7 months ago

Al Valentino wrote:

One thing to consider is the OVF does not work well with the 14mm, the long zoom and likely the 10-24 zoom since they are so longer, wider or fatter. Also, manual legacy glass will not focus in the OVF - like my manual Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. So if these lenses will be used then OVF might be useless, making the faster AF XE2 a better choice. If it was me I would go for the XE2 for those reasons as the OVF would only work well with one of my 5 lenses.

Thanks. That's a good point to consider, though I am not likely to use zooms and stick to only Fuji glass. I had not thought of that.

Nishi

Jake Wherry
New MemberPosts: 9
Like?

I got a X-100s in March and loved it, but recently wanted to try other Fuji lenses so I part exchanged and took up the Uk X-Pro offer 3 weeks ago. Whilst I appreciated the build and quality, I found that compared to the X-100s the write times to a 95mb/sec card were very very slow and  the autofocus and EVF were slow too.

I loved the hybrid OVF on both X-Pro and X-100s but felt I should try the X-E2, I did last week and was sold straight away- the EVF is great, autofocus very snappy and in general it works like the X-100s, with the bonus of being able to take different lenses. Equipped with the 23mm lens, 12mm Zeiss and 18-55 kit lens (which is also very good for a kit lens) I am very happy.  I'll definitely check out the X-Pro2 when it arrives, but for now the X-E2 is the one for me.

I hope that helps !

Nishi Sharma
Like?
In reply to Jake Wherry, 7 months ago

Jake Wherry wrote:

I got a X-100s in March and loved it, but recently wanted to try other Fuji lenses so I part exchanged and took up the Uk X-Pro offer 3 weeks ago. Whilst I appreciated the build and quality, I found that compared to the X-100s the write times to a 95mb/sec card were very very slow and the autofocus and EVF were slow too.

I loved the hybrid OVF on both X-Pro and X-100s but felt I should try the X-E2, I did last week and was sold straight away- the EVF is great, autofocus very snappy and in general it works like the X-100s, with the bonus of being able to take different lenses. Equipped with the 23mm lens, 12mm Zeiss and 18-55 kit lens (which is also very good for a kit lens) I am very happy. I'll definitely check out the X-Pro2 when it arrives, but for now the X-E2 is the one for me.

I hope that helps !

Jake, Thanks for your advice, much appreciated. Have you considered selling the XPro 1 body? On ebay it is currently going for £460 and still 2 days left. You would have paid only £255 in real terms with the current deal. So, you'll still make a profit. What do you think?

Nishi

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads