IQ-- 7D or 70D?.

Started 8 months ago | Questions
Infucus10
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
IQ-- 7D or 70D?.
8 months ago

Hi all!

I can buy a very good use 7D for a good price. An alternative is 70d but it will cost more right now. I use my camera mostly for portrait and landscape and I have L lenses. Is the 70d a better camera in terms of IQ or should I go for 7D?

Thank you for any adwise

-- hide signature --

David

Infucus10's gear list:Infucus10's gear list
Nikon D3300
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
R2D2
Forum ProPosts: 14,434Gear list
Like?
Re: IQ-- 7D or 70D?.
In reply to Infucus10, 8 months ago

Infucus10 wrote:

Hi all!

I can buy a very good use 7D for a good price. An alternative is 70d but it will cost more right now. I use my camera mostly for portrait and landscape and I have L lenses. Is the 70d a better camera in terms of IQ or should I go for 7D?

IQ is basically the same, esp at the low ISOs where you'd be shooting the most.

There are a lot of other differentiating features between the two cameras though, and I'd base my selection on those (plus actually getting some hands-on with both).  I could add my own recommendations, but that might color your selection process.

Good luck with your search,

R2

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience.
Experience comes from bad judgment.
http://www.pbase.com/jekyll_and_hyde/galleries

R2D2's gear list:R2D2's gear list
Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 70D
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Infucus10
Like?
In reply to R2D2, 8 months ago

Thank you!

I´ll waiting funrther comments/rekommendations.

-- hide signature --

David

Nikon D3300
MAC
MAC
Forum ProPosts: 12,268Gear list
Like?

Infucus10 wrote:

Hi all!

I can buy a very good use 7D for a good price. An alternative is 70d but it will cost more right now. I use my camera mostly for portrait and landscape and I have L lenses. Is the 70d a better camera in terms of IQ or should I go for 7D?

Thank you for any adwise

-- hide signature --

David

what L lenses do you have?

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
R2D2
Like?
My choice? Hmmm

Infucus10 wrote:

Thank you!

I used to shoot a 50D, then tried to upgrade to a 7D when it came out.  However I simply could not find one that would focus consistently for me (I use Back Button focus with AI Servo 100% of the time).  So I had to pass (I really wanted one badly though    ).  YMMV. Folks say that the latest firmware improves on that, but I've since gone in another direction.

Which brings us to the 70D   .  A wholly remarkable piece of equipment.  The AF is like nothing I've ever experienced before (even better than my 650D, which was a very marked improvement over the 50D).  The AF in low light especially surprises me (both with PDAF and Live View).

I also particularly enjoy using the touch screen (think Touch Focus for landscapes), and the tilt/swivel function very much.  The Ergo and UI are very much to my liking.  Reviewing and zooming in to check for critical focus using finger gestures is also a really nice feature (much faster).

And this doesn't even touch upon the new Video functionality.

So as you can see, the 70D gets my vote.  However it may be that the 7D would suit your style and priorities much better.  There are great photogs on this forum for whom that is exactly the case.  Just gotta go play with them to see which one puts the big smile on your face.

Happy hunting,

R2

-- hide signature --

riknash
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,259Gear list
Like?
Re: My choice? Hmmm

R2D2 wrote:

Infucus10 wrote:

Thank you!

I used to shoot a 50D, then tried to upgrade to a 7D when it came out. However I simply could not find one that would focus consistently for me (I use Back Button focus with AI Servo 100% of the time). So I had to pass (I really wanted one badly though ). YMMV. Folks say that the latest firmware improves on that, but I've since gone in another direction.

Nothing worse than inconsistent focus. I still use the 7D and still have issues with the focus. I don't own a 70D but most here on this forum are very satisfied with the AF.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III HTC One
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,627Gear list
Like?

Infucus10 wrote:

Hi all!

According to DxOMark:

With the EF 50mm f/1.2L the 70D will give you about 20% more resolution (sharpness - 70D/12 vs 7D/10).

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/EF50mm-f-1.2L-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-versus-EF50mm-f-1.2L-USM-on-Canon-EOS-70D___197_619_197_895

Same is true with the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, the 70D will give you about 20% more resolution (sharpness - 70D/12 vs 7D/10).

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/EF85mm-f-1.2L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-versus-EF85mm-f-1.2L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-70D___270_619_270_895

With the EF 14mm f/2.8L II the 70D will give you about 25% more resolution (sharpness - 70D/10 vs 7D/8).

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-versus-Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-70D___789_619_789_895

edit: That said the full frame 6D is better suited for that type of photography. With the EF 14mm f/2.8L II the 6D will give you about 40% more resolution than the 70D and 75% more resolution than the 7D (sharpness - 6D/14 vs 70D/10 vs 7D/8).

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-versus-Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-70D-versus-Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-6D___789_619_789_895_789_836

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
MAC
MAC
Like?

R2D2 wrote:

Infucus10 wrote:

Thank you!

I used to shoot a 50D, then tried to upgrade to a 7D when it came out. However I simply could not find one that would focus consistently for me (I use Back Button focus with AI Servo 100% of the time). So I had to pass (I really wanted one badly though ). YMMV. Folks say that the latest firmware improves on that, but I've since gone in another direction.

Which brings us to the 70D . A wholly remarkable piece of equipment. The AF is like nothing I've ever experienced before (even better than my 650D, which was a very marked improvement over the 50D). The AF in low light especially surprises me (both with PDAF and Live View).

I also particularly enjoy using the touch screen (think Touch Focus for landscapes), and the tilt/swivel function very much. The Ergo and UI are very much to my liking. Reviewing and zooming in to check for critical focus using finger gestures is also a really nice feature (much faster).

So as you can see, the 70D gets my vote. However it may be that the 7D would suit your style and priorities much better. There are great photogs on this forum for whom that is exactly the case. Just gotta go play with them to see which one puts the big smile on your face.

Happy hunting,

R2

my 60d keeps up with soccer

my 60d and t4i and 5dc suit me fine with phottix oden system

the op says portrait and landscapes, we need to understand the ops L glass, then can make a call. 7d is for sports

-- hide signature --

Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 650D Canon EOS 100D Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +5 more
MAC
MAC
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 8 months ago

TTMartin wrote:

Infucus10 wrote:

Hi all!

According to DxOMark:

With the EF 50mm f/1.2L the 70D will give you about 20% more resolution (sharpness - 70D/12 vs 7D/10).

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/EF50mm-f-1.2L-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-versus-EF50mm-f-1.2L-USM-on-Canon-EOS-70D___197_619_197_895

Same is true with the EF 85mm f/1.2L II, the 70D will give you about 20% more resolution (sharpness - 70D/12 vs 7D/10).

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/EF85mm-f-1.2L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-versus-EF85mm-f-1.2L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-70D___270_619_270_895

With the EF 14mm f/2.8L II the 70D will give you about 25% more resolution (sharpness - 70D/10 vs 7D/8).

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-versus-Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-70D___789_619_789_895

edit: That said the full frame 6D is better suited for that type of photography. With the EF 14mm f/2.8L II the 6D will give you about 40% more resolution than the 70D and 75% more resolution than the 7D (sharpness - 6D/14 vs 70D/10 vs 7D/8).

http://www.dxomark.com/Lenses/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-7D-versus-Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-70D-versus-Canon-EF-14mm-F28L-II-USM-on-Canon-EOS-6D___789_619_789_895_789_836

Agree, FF for the ops applications if the op can afford it.  L glass built for FF.  That is why I asked about the ops L glass, maybe the op can sell some glass to get to the 6d

Midwest
Forum ProPosts: 13,255
Like?
In reply to MAC, 8 months ago

MAC wrote:

R2D2 wrote:

Infucus10 wrote:

Thank you!

I doubt that just about the most sophisticated AF system Canon makes is inherently inconsistent - but trying to iron out just which of them to use could be very difficult. The AF on the 7D goes way beyond what most of us need. I wanted the 7D for its more precise focus points and its faster AF speed due to dual processors, but all the AF expansion etc. etc. etc. modes have been tricky for me. Despite being an older model, the 7D has AF modes that the 70D hasn't.

Which brings us to the 70D . A wholly remarkable piece of equipment. The AF is like nothing I've ever experienced before (even better than my 650D, which was a very marked improvement over the 50D). The AF in low light especially surprises me (both with PDAF and Live View).

While I would not trade my 7D for a 70D, it's mostly because I wanted the fast AF and burst shooting. For the OP's uses of photoing landscapes etc. the 70D would not be at any disadvantage in those ways (and it's not too shabby to begin with).

I also particularly enjoy using the touch screen (think Touch Focus for landscapes), and the tilt/swivel function very much. The Ergo and UI are very much to my liking. Reviewing and zooming in to check for critical focus using finger gestures is also a really nice feature (much faster).

Both very helpful features. The touch screen was regarded by some as a gimmick when it came out on the T4i but has proven to be very popular.

Indeed.

So as you can see, the 70D gets my vote. However it may be that the 7D would suit your style and priorities much better. There are great photogs on this forum for whom that is exactly the case. Just gotta go play with them to see which one puts the big smile on your face.

The 7D, especially in combination with full understanding of its complex AF, is almost certainly still the better camera for BIF and wildlife and action / sports. The OP doesn't sound like that is his domain though and the 70D is very likely a better choice.

My recommendation is based on the cameras themselves; however if someone is offering the 7D at several hundred less than the 70D would cost, that could change my attitude. I paid $800 for a used one several months ago but since then I've seen factory refurb 7D's at that same price.

Happy hunting,

R2

my 60d keeps up with soccer

my 60d and t4i and 5dc suit me fine with phottix oden system

the op says portrait and landscapes, we need to understand the ops L glass, then can make a call. 7d is for sports

Exactly. He can't go wrong with either camera but there are certainly differences between them that might have bearing on what he will be shooting and so forth.

Dmatter
Regular MemberPosts: 189
Like?
In reply to Midwest, 8 months ago

DO NOT beileve to those who claims that 7D IQ and 70D IQ are similar. They are close to each other, but biggest improvement of new Canon 70D sensor - less blotchy noise stucture, better high iso, better color sensitivity. I always struggled with 7d banding, visible in deep shadows or uniform color surfaces (sky for example). No banding at all on 70D. Colors on 7D also was less saturated (may be this was implemented for supress color noise), and colors of 70D are more vibrant and realistic.

P.S. I sold my 7D few days ago and the only ONE thing i really miss - is metal body. In all other aspects 70d is better tool for me than 7D.

R2D2
Like?

MAC wrote:

Agree, FF for the ops applications if the op can afford it. L glass built for FF. That is why I asked about the ops L glass, maybe the op can sell some glass to get to the 6d

+1 Here too.

R2

-- hide signature --

R2D2
Like?
In reply to Midwest, 8 months ago

Midwest wrote:

The 7D, especially in combination with full understanding of its complex AF, is almost certainly still the better camera for BIF and wildlife and action / sports.

Happy hunting,

R2

Unfortunately myself and four other photoclub members went through the painstaking task of going through all of the 7D's AF settings (many recommendations posted here on the forum), and all to no avail.  I really really wanted a 7D back then, since I shoot so much action, but as it turned out only one of us ended up buying a 7D (and he subsequently switched to a 1D3).

Obviously I do realize that the 7D has worked out for a great many people here, and I try to not bring up the issues that I've personally seen (only when very specific requests come up).  You are always very courteous in your postings Midwest, but there are some who are not when it comes to this sensitive issue    .

So as always, I simply post what my particular experiences are.  It's up to others to determine their worth.

Cheers,

R2

-- hide signature --

Wm. L.
Senior MemberPosts: 2,145Gear list
Like?

These are superb products so I can't tell you what to get, just what struck me and what I value is surely different for others.

I've shared gear with 7D owner and used swapped our stuff since the 7D came out. Now with the few weeks of the 70D ownership I'd never go get the 7D for any reason I can think of but find some things with 70D that might be worth considering.

First is I like the live view AF, articulating screen and video shooting with STM lens more than I ever expected. This could be a non-issue for others.

I never liked the weight or bulk of the 7D over my Rebel because of convenience for bike, hike and skiing. The 70D seems lighter and easier to carry over 7D but not a deal breaker.

Try this: For about 1 month+ I put myself in delayed gratification mode trying different bodies and even different systems. That made it more confusing for a while but when the day finally came also easier to pull the trigger with no regrets.

Wm. L.'s gear list:Wm. L.'s gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Olympus Tough TG-2 Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM +5 more
ZiggyDeath
Regular MemberPosts: 355Gear list
Like?

R2D2 wrote:

MAC wrote:

Agree, FF for the ops applications if the op can afford it. L glass built for FF. That is why I asked about the ops L glass, maybe the op can sell some glass to get to the 6d

+1 Here too.

R2

Especially if he plans to do low-light landscape shots hand held. If only the 6D had a touchscreen, I'd have bitten during the past few sales.

ZiggyDeath's gear list:ZiggyDeath's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM +11 more
Infucus10
Like?
In reply to Dmatter, 8 months ago

Thak you very much indeed. And thank you all you who take time to help me. I´m so happy for being with you here! If it was not for built-in flash(that 7d and 70 d has), I would have bought 5D III.

-- hide signature --

David

Nikon D3300
Infucus10
Like?

EF 70-200 F4L IS
Ef 100 F2,8 macro L

EF 85 F1,8
EF 16-35 F2,8

-- hide signature --

David

Nikon D3300
Infucus10
Like?
In reply to TTMartin, 8 months ago

Hmmm ...Intresting. I haven´t any issue with price. Niether in case of 6d nor 5D III

-- hide signature --

David

Nikon D3300
TTMartin
Senior MemberPosts: 5,627Gear list
Like?

Infucus10 wrote:

Hmmm ...Intresting. I haven´t any issue with price. Niether in case of 6d nor 5D III

I have a 6D and 7D. I really do not miss not having a built in flash for the 6D. I keep the 6D with 24-105 f/4 L on it, along with a 430EX II flash, and a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, extra cards, batteries and filters in a Lowpro SlingShot 100AW.

I also have a 90EX flash for my EOS M which I can use on the 6D to control the 430EX II off camera when I want to.

Alternatives to the built-in flash: EOS 6D

TTMartin's gear list:TTMartin's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon PowerShot SD1000 Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M +23 more
MAC
MAC
Like?

Infucus10 wrote:

EF 70-200 F4L IS
Ef 100 F2,8 macro L

EF 85 F1,8
EF 16-35 F2,8

that answers it imo

with that L glass you have, and landscape and portrait as you subject matter vs sports, if you can swing it, get 6d

16-35 is great lens, but wasted on a crop camera

100L on FF takes advantage of shallow f2.8 dof at 100mm for indoor head shots.  the crop camera fov is too long - ie, 160 fov is too long.  The 100L is great portrait lens on FF.

Your L glass drives the body decision - to 6d all the way - also better low light and less need for flash.  get at least a 430ii in any case - on board flash sucks anyway

good luck!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads