Uncompromised Landscape Lens for A7R?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,845
Like?
Re: Uncompromised Landscape Lens for A7R?
In reply to parallaxproblem, 9 months ago

parallaxproblem wrote:

abortabort wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Whatever, unless Sigma or another third party produce something it seems that there won't be any E-mount lenses filling this gap until at least 2015

Makes the Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8 at $999 on a high-end APS-C E-mount body look ever more inviting... oh wait...

The publicly released FE roadmap shows a Zeiss UWA early 2014.

Really?

This is the roadmap, can you tell me which is the UW and what the other lenses are?

Thanks

It is one of the two Zeiss lenses below the 70-200 so expected early to mid 2014 (I'm hoping for a February announcement).   You should be able to find the translated version somewhere (can't remember where I saw it).  There is also a fake version that someone created for fun that has all of the blanks filled in.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

abortabort wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Whatever, unless Sigma or another third party produce something it seems that there won't be any E-mount lenses filling this gap until at least 2015

Makes the Zeiss Touit 12mm f2.8 at $999 on a high-end APS-C E-mount body look ever more inviting... oh wait...

Really?

This is the roadmap, can you tell me which is the UW and what the other lenses are?

Thanks

...Maybe I can...

...It may help those who can't read Japanese...

Best regards,
Pedro

parallaxproblem
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,709
Like?
In reply to NumberOne, 9 months ago

NumberOne wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

abortabort wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Really?

Thanks

...Maybe I can...

Best regards,
Pedro

Thank you!

I hope the 'ultra-wide' zoom is a 20-35.  This gives a very useful range, but isn't so ambitious that it requires either significant optical compromises or large body size

NumberOne
Senior MemberPosts: 1,453Gear list
Like?
In reply to japa, 9 months ago

japa wrote:

Since we have bought, or will buy the A7R because it is light, full frame and has a great sensor, is there a landscape lens(24mm or less) that doesn't undermine those essential attributes?

That eliminates hefty SLR lenses on adaptors, legacy lenses that require cropping and/or software solutions for colour issues and vignetting, and mediocre optics that compromise the IQ and resolution potential of the A7R sensor.

Any first hand experience with an excellent lightweight landscape lens that brings the best out of this camera?

Unless you can't move some steps back, I don't see what's wrong "doing landscape" with the available «Sony FE 35_F2.8_Z»...

Then, you have the launch of the «Sony FE 24-70_F4_ZA-OSS» on late January 2014; and in middle/late 2014 an Ultra-wide F4 zoom, if zooms are your business...

So - if you can wait a little - I guess you will have "immediate" options...

( As a personal note, though, I expect Sony to release some wide-angle fixed focal length lenses soon, as the A7s, specially the A7R sibling, are great landscape photographic tools... )

Best regards,
Pedro

japa
Forum MemberPosts: 56
Like?
In reply to NumberOne, 9 months ago

My wording should have been better. Some compromises are inevitable. I can live with manual focus and an adapter.The journey I am on is to find a sufficiently excellent wide angle optical solution that doesn't create a  unbalanced and heavy brick. To optimize a 36 megapixel sensor, you need great glass, not just  lack of vignetting and colour cast. I bought, and I presume most others did as well in for the great sensor and light weight.

Part of me worries that Sony/Zeiss may not have brought a wide angle lens to market yet, because they don't know how to... yet. After all it is the most obvious tool for a 36 mlx camera.

Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,635Gear list
Like?

Samyang 24mm F1.4 works fine.

Nikon 14-24 is a fail, very bad edge smearing at 14mm.

Contax g 28mm has magenta shift and shading but possibly correctable with that flat field plugin. in sunlight shots its not toooo bad but not good enough as-is.

Nikon 28mm F28 seems fine.

Nikon 24-70 F2.8 seems fine at 24mm.

Contax G 45mm F2 in panorama mode is incredible and would be my pick and approach. Its small, its light, it looks fantastic on the camera with the champagne coloured metal body. Hard to fault.

Greg.

pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
In reply to DavieK, 9 months ago

hi David,

how the SEL16f2.8 without the baffle + the wide and fisheye adapters work? -i know you have the fisheye adapter, not sure about the wide adapter)

Anyway, any sample with the SEL16f28?

My A7R won't arrive until after Christmas...

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Rod McD
Senior MemberPosts: 2,311Gear list
Like?

Hi,

There are a range of relatively small (f2.8, 49 & 52mm filters) and light weight lenses out there worth a try.  They maybe very good in their own right or maybe a good stop gap lens until a native FE lens emerges off the road map.  I've seen some brief reports on Nikon and Canon 24mm and 28mm MF lenses.  There are other similar lenses from Pentax and Minolta.  All that I can say at the moment is that they seem to be a more consistently useable lot than short registration RF lenses.

One RF Leica lens (and a very relevant one if you want light weight for landscape) that I've yet to see any report on is the 24mm/3.8, their cheapest and reputedly sharpest 24mm if you can live with the slow maximum aperture. Does no-one with an A7r and a Leica own one?

I haven't got my A7r yet, but will try the MF Pentax A 20mm/2.8 and the Nikon AIS 24mm/2.8 when I do.

It may be that the native FE lens will be the best.  When it emerges.  I'm also going to take an interest in the FE Zeiss 24-70/4 and the WA zoom when they're available. However, the 24-70 is getting toward the bigger end (physically) for me to be interested.  I guess if it's excellent across its range, it might be worthwhile to avoid carrying four primes and to avoid dust issues when changing lenses.

Rod

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Pentax K-5 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +6 more
brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tobers, 9 months ago

Tobers wrote:

brudy wrote:

Looks like the cv21/1.8 and the pancake 21/f4 both seem to do well. I don't have either, but I'm considering both. The 1.8 seems to have more contrast but the f4 is smaller (obviously) and much cheaper ($1100 vs $400). I'm not sure either of these are uncompromising, but results look good online.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/brudy

I'm on the same quest - for a wide landscape lens for my A7R. I've been trawling all the web tests (and you can see my own A7R set on Flickr here: A7R test shot set )

I picked up a used Voigtlander 21 f/4 color skopar yesterday in a trade in. It has significant vignetting and colour shift on the left and right edges on the A7R.

Thanks for reporting back on this one. I almost went for one last night but held off, thankfully.

-- hide signature --

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
Rob Sims
Regular MemberPosts: 434Gear list
Like?

japa wrote:

Since we have bought, or will buy the A7R because it is light, full frame and has a great sensor, is there a landscape lens(24mm or less) that doesn't undermine those essential attributes?

That eliminates hefty SLR lenses on adaptors, legacy lenses that require cropping and/or software solutions for colour issues and vignetting, and mediocre optics that compromise the IQ and resolution potential of the A7R sensor.

Any first hand experience with an excellent lightweight landscape lens that brings the best out of this camera?

I've just started using a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm F1.2 and finding it extremely sharp, thinking it could be used as a landscape lens.  I posted some shots here, which include one or two landscapes:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3587834

Alternatively, a slightly curve ball I know, but it appears the SEL1018 is working quite well even on the full frame, if you're willing to apply a lens profile to it. Here's my experience so far:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3584872

-- hide signature --
 Rob Sims's gear list:Rob Sims's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha 7 Sony a6000 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +9 more
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 959Gear list
Like?

parallaxproblem wrote:

NumberOne wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

abortabort wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Really?

Thanks

...Maybe I can...

Best regards,
Pedro

Thank you!

I hope the 'ultra-wide' zoom is a 20-35. This gives a very useful range, but isn't so ambitious that it requires either significant optical compromises or large body size

My guess is it will be a 16-35mm f4, probably with OSS. A 20-35mm would have been great, but I think many would be 'up in arms' if it was 'only' as wide as 20mm. Many are already saying they want 14 or even 12mm.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
brudy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,422Gear list
Like?
In reply to Rob Sims, 9 months ago

Rob Sims wrote:

japa wrote:

I've just started using a Voigtlander Nokton 35mm F1.2 and finding it extremely sharp, thinking it could be used as a landscape lens. I posted some shots here, which include one or two landscapes:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3587834

Alternatively, a slightly curve ball I know, but it appears the SEL1018 is working quite well even on the full frame, if you're willing to apply a lens profile to it. Here's my experience so far:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3584872

-- hide signature --

I have the 35/1.2 MkI and it's nice on the A7r stopped down a bit. It's not the magic lens it is on film or my R-D1, but still nice. I imagine the MK2 will be better. For landscapes though, prefer wider than 35.

-- hide signature --

brudy's gear list:brudy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha 7R
abortabort
Like?
In reply to pako, 9 months ago

pako wrote:

hi David,

how the SEL16f2.8 without the baffle + the wide and fisheye adapters work? -i know you have the fisheye adapter, not sure about the wide adapter)

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

From what I have seen, when using the adapters (at least the fisheye) you get significantly less coverage than without, which probably makes sense. It probably has the extra coverage to make the adapters usable on APS-C, but basically don't expect than at most APS-C coverage with the adapters on.

Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,845
Like?
In reply to abortabort, 9 months ago

abortabort wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

NumberOne wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

abortabort wrote:

parallaxproblem wrote:

Really?

Thanks

...Maybe I can...

Best regards,
Pedro

Thank you!

I hope the 'ultra-wide' zoom is a 20-35. This gives a very useful range, but isn't so ambitious that it requires either significant optical compromises or large body size

My guess is it will be a 16-35mm f4, probably with OSS. A 20-35mm would have been great, but I think many would be 'up in arms' if it was 'only' as wide as 20mm. Many are already saying they want 14 or even 12mm.

I'd like it to be at least 16mm wide even if you give up some range on the long end.   My guess is that it will be a full frame version of the 10-18 so around 16-27 or 16-28 f4.   That would work fine for me especially if it helps keep the size down.

abortabort
Like?

japa wrote:

My wording should have been better. Some compromises are inevitable. I can live with manual focus and an adapter.The journey I am on is to find a sufficiently excellent wide angle optical solution that doesn't create a unbalanced and heavy brick. To optimize a 36 megapixel sensor, you need great glass, not just lack of vignetting and colour cast. I bought, and I presume most others did as well in for the great sensor and light weight.

Part of me worries that Sony/Zeiss may not have brought a wide angle lens to market yet, because they don't know how to... yet. After all it is the most obvious tool for a 36 mlx camera.

Fair enough There are small options that will work well, but not the best, or big options that will work very very well, but are quite large (the same can be said of all full frame cameras). I still think the Samyang is a good option, it isn't too heavy and when paired with the A7R is around 1kg, lighter than many FF bodies, and half the weight (or more) than a D800e and 14-24mm. That combo also weights about what my Tokina 16-28mm f2.8 weighs on it's own.

I would also assume that 'serious' landscaping would be done on a tripod, so I guess an adapter that has a tripod mount should make it pretty well balanced.

To me, 500 grams is about the cutoff for the A7 without a grip. I am not a landscape photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but that would be my setup (and probably will buy this lens). The 20mm Minolta will do for me as a decent enough wide for most of my type of shooting, but the Samyang is cheap enough and very very good that I will have one as well for those times I do feel so inclined.

KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,149
Like?
In reply to brudy, 9 months ago

Not uncompromised but...

I'm using 17-40 f4 on Metabones and it's working OK, but it's a little heavier than I'd like.

I thought about FD 20mm 2.8 too as a lighter option...we'll see.

Also using the 28mm 2.8 IS on Metabones III. IS might be working 'cause one shot looked sharp at 1/8 sec. in my shaky hands.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,117Gear list
Like?

The SEL 16 is one of the worst lenses I have ever owned. I got it with my original NEX 5 and it was so prone to flare it was awful.

pako wrote:

hi David,

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

-- hide signature --

see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 +32 more
pako
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
In reply to Lisa O, 9 months ago

Lisa O wrote:

The SEL 16 is one of the worst lenses I have ever owned. I got it with my original NEX 5 and it was so prone to flare it was awful.

pako wrote:

hi David,

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------

There are some sampling issues with the SEL16f2.8 -but not all the lenses are bad. The problem with some users is that they don't really know how to work properly with wide angle lenses, and they blame the lens, not their technique (I not saying that this is your case, Lisa...)

My lens works fine, and I know David love his very much.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

pako's gear list:pako's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake +18 more
Lisa O
Senior MemberPosts: 2,117Gear list
Like?

I shoot with wide angle lenses all the time. I have an Nikon 14-24mm and Zeiss ZF 21mm, Fuji 14mm. I always use lens hoods with wide angle lens, that 16mm SEL is so bad I haven't even sold it because I didn't want to burden anyone with it.

I would like to find a great wide lens for the a7r that is of an appropriate scale. I would rather Sony produce a really good lens than rush something out that is inferior.

pako wrote:

There are some sampling issues with the SEL16f2.8 -but not all the lenses are bad. The problem with some users is that they don't really know how to work properly with wide angle lenses, and they blame the lens, not their technique (I not saying that this is your case, Lisa...)

My lens works fine, and I know David love his very much.

-- hide signature --

Pako Dominguez
-----------------------
www.phototeka.net

-- hide signature --

see about me in my profile for more info
http://500px.com/LisaOsta
http://www.flickr.com/photos/losta

Lisa O's gear list:Lisa O's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7R Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus E-M1 +32 more
DavieK
Contributing MemberPosts: 695
Like?
In reply to Lisa O, 9 months ago

My 16mm f/2.8 is so good I could almost earn a living with it and no other lens. But then, it was I think the third 16mm f/2.8 I owned and either the fourth of fifth I had used including prototypes.

Pako - the adaptors just end up imaged into the shot, as you would expect, and there is nothing to be gained.

On its own with baffle removed, the lens is OK for a 24mm square or a 1.3 factor image, using right to the corners is a bit difficult. Any lens profile to correct it immediately loses the benefit of the angle.

I've been corresponding about the 20mm and that also really won't manage full frame, but comes so close and has such good imaging quality you could consider it fully useful on say a 30 megapixel 10 x 8 shape format. It's certainly something I am thinking about, as this lens does also accept the UW and Fish converters.

David

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads