GM1 vs. Sony RX100 II, almost equal

Started Dec 7, 2013 | Discussions
eivissa1
Regular MemberPosts: 396Gear list
Like?
GM1 vs. Sony RX100 II, almost equal
Dec 7, 2013

DXOMark is slightly disappointed in the GM1's sensor.

The RX100 ll holds up surprisingly well.

The GX7's sensor is the better one.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GM1-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7-versus-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-II___920_901_896

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Sony RX100 Sony RX100 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,629Gear list
Like?
Re: GM1 vs. Sony RX100 II, almost equal
In reply to eivissa1, Dec 7, 2013

I upgraded from the GF3 to the GM1 yesterday (yay!) and this graph shows one reason. The sensor performance of the GM1 and RX100 II is pretty much the same, but the former can take other lenses.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Heefe
Junior MemberPosts: 44Gear list
Like?
In reply to Ulric, Dec 7, 2013

Good luck finding a RX100 with a good lens...

Heefe's gear list:Heefe's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Fujifilm X-T1
Peng Bian
Contributing MemberPosts: 585Gear list
Like?
In reply to Heefe, Dec 7, 2013

Heefe wrote:

That would be the RX10

-- hide signature --
 Peng Bian's gear list:Peng Bian's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +2 more
eivissa1
Like?
In reply to Heefe, Dec 7, 2013

Heefe wrote:

Can you be more specific? Do you mean the soft corners of the Sony or something else?

I keep on doubting between the two...

TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,337
Like?

I had the original RX100. May have nice. IQ but was blah to shoot. For me ultimate sensor IQ is not the highest priority but does the camera and the experience of working with it inspire me to go out and shoot. In that regard the RX100 was a fail and the GM1 is a home run . So, will you in 99% of your photography see a difference  in IQ between shooting the GX7, GM1 or RX100 (Except DOF with RX100). No. At the end of the day composition and subject matter in an image will trump the DxO score every time.

-- hide signature --

Terry
www.terrybanet.com

grumpycat
Regular MemberPosts: 137Gear list
Like?

That's mean you can use prime lens where the sony can't even come close. Did I mention you can change the lens on the gm1?

halfwaythere
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
Like?
In reply to grumpycat, Dec 7, 2013

I think something is off about their measurements with this one.  4 points for identical sensors is a bit much even for dxo.

halfwaythere's gear list:halfwaythere's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
eivissa1
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, Dec 7, 2013

TEBnewyork wrote:

I had the original RX100. May have nice. IQ but was blah to shoot. For me ultimate sensor IQ is not the highest priority but does the camera and the experience of working with it inspire me to go out and shoot. In that regard the RX100 was a fail and the GM1 is a home run . So, will you in 99% of your photography see a difference in IQ between shooting the GX7, GM1 or RX100 (Except DOF with RX100). No. At the end of the day composition and subject matter in an image will trump the DxO score every time.

-- hide signature --

Terry
www.terrybanet.com

Thanks! You are right about that.

eivissa1
Like?
In reply to halfwaythere, Dec 7, 2013

halfwaythere wrote:

I think something is off about their measurements with this one. 4 points for identical sensors is a bit much even for dxo.

I am afraid that I don't understand about "4 points".

Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,608Gear list
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, Dec 7, 2013

I like my RX100, the sensor and lens are great and I can carry it when I don't want to carry anything I'd notice I was carrying. YMMV of course.

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,608Gear list
Like?

The GM1 scored 66 points and the GX7 70 points in DXO's sensor rating system, but with the same sensor and image processor you would have expected them to be quite close. Then again the GM1 may get hotter (lowering performance) or just have some less good other Electronics (power supplies, etc.). Who knows?

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +25 more
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,047Gear list
Like?

eivissa1 wrote:

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GM1-versus-Panasonic-Lumix-DMC-GX7-versus-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-RX100-II___920_901_896

The Imaging Resource findings differ somewhat from DxO's. Comparing the GM1 with the RX100II at ISO1600, they say "this is where the 1-inch-type sensor of the RX100 II starts to lose ground. It beats most other non-ILC compacts currently on the market, but can't keep pace with the GM1's much larger sensor as ISO rises."

About the GX7 vs. GM1 differences: given that according to Panasonic these cameras have the same--not just similar--sensor and associated circuitry, I wonder if we're just looking at sample variation, in that two samples of either camera might show differences of this magnitude.  In all of the Imaging Resources comparisons, at all ISOs tested, they describe the performance of these cameras as "virtually identical."

Bob

Sergey Borachev
Senior MemberPosts: 2,625Gear list
Like?

eivissa1 wrote:

I think most of us have learnt by now to take DXO's scores with a big grain of salt.  Their results are at odds with other reviewers sometimes and their methods not fully open and understood.   When in doubt, I just ignore them.

Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,031
Like?

eivissa1 wrote:

The GX7's sensor is the better one

Plus you have the DoF benefit of the RX100 sensor.

Advent1sam
Senior MemberPosts: 1,343
Like?
In reply to Robert Deutsch, Dec 7, 2013

Robert Deutsch wrote:

eivissa1 wrote:

The Imaging Resource findings differ somewhat from DxO's. Comparing the GM1 with the RX100II at ISO1600, they say "this is where the 1-inch-type sensor of the RX100 II starts to lose ground. It beats most other non-ILC compacts currently on the market, but can't keep pace with the GM1's much larger sensor as ISO rises."

About the GX7 vs. GM1 differences: given that according to Panasonic these cameras have the same--not just similar--sensor and associated circuitry, I wonder if we're just looking at sample variation, in that two samples of either camera might show differences of this magnitude. In all of the Imaging Resources comparisons, at all ISOs tested, they describe the performance of these cameras as "virtually identical."

Bob

Makes sense the gx7 is better, and it seems to be by a margin! can't see this being sample variation, its too much.

dale thorn
Senior MemberPosts: 1,758Gear list
Like?

eivissa1 wrote:

It's true that many small cameras can compete with the GM1, and people should be given awareness of that. But more importantly, people should know that the key reason to get the GM1 would be to have the smallest m4/3 camera with interchangeable lenses. It's good to keep these comparisons current, though - thanks.

dale thorn's gear list:dale thorn's gear list
Leica D-Lux 6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Leica T
dale thorn
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, Dec 7, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

The GM1 scored 66 points and the GX7 70 points in DXO's sensor rating system, but with the same sensor and image processor you would have expected them to be quite close. Then again the GM1 may get hotter (lowering performance) or just have some less good other Electronics (power supplies, etc.). Who knows?

Based on my GM1's performance I think it does lack some muscle compared to the bigger Pana's, but I'm hoping that will improve with a firmware update.

dale thorn
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, Dec 7, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

I like my RX100, the sensor and lens are great and I can carry it when I don't want to carry anything I'd notice I was carrying. YMMV of course.

This point is right on. I own the GM1, but I would be just as comfortable with a fixed lens, since I'm not swapping lenses at this point anyway.

TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,337
Like?
In reply to dale thorn, Dec 7, 2013

The 45mm f1.8 is a great companion to the GM1. Small, fast and a good focal length not covered by the kit

-- hide signature --

terry
www.terrybanet.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads