Metabones wide open button??

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
love_them_all
Senior MemberPosts: 2,724
Like?
Metabones wide open button??
8 months ago

I just got the Metabones EF-E MkIII adaptor. It works great on the A7R. But does anybody know what is and how to use that "wide open button" on the adaptor?

On the website it says it's opposite to a dof preview button. But isn't the lens is always wide open anyway? Is it for movie mode (I need to play with that to see)?

Sony Alpha 7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 938Gear list
Like?
Re: Metabones wide open button??
In reply to love_them_all, 8 months ago

I just got the Metabones EF-E MkIII adaptor. It works great on the A7R. But does anybody know what is and how to use that "wide open button" on the adaptor?

On the website it says it's opposite to a dof preview button. But isn't the lens is always wide open anyway? Is it for movie mode (I need to play with that to see)?

I would guess that if its the opposite of a DoF preview button the lens is stopping dowwn when you stop down the aperture in camera, giving a constant DoF preview. In low light you may want it wide open to give a cleaner live view for example.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Ricoh GR Sony RX100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha 7 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
ZzzooM3
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?

love_them_all wrote:

No, the lens is definitely NOT wide-open all the time. You spent a lot of money for a lens adapter that has electronic integration with your a7. You set the aperture and shutter speed just as you do for any Sony E-mount lens. The wide open button temporarily opens the shutter so you can focus manually better. AF also works but it is slower than with an E-mount lens. Check their website for a list of compatible lenses.

ZzzooM3's gear list:ZzzooM3's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +8 more
sassenach74
Regular MemberPosts: 375Gear list
Like?
In reply to ZzzooM3, 8 months ago

ZzzooM3 wrote:

love_them_all wrote:

No, the lens is definitely NOT wide-open all the time. You spent a lot of money for a lens adapter that has electronic integration with your a7. You set the aperture and shutter speed just as you do for any Sony E-mount lens. The wide open button temporarily opens the shutter so you can focus manually better. AF also works but it is slower than with an E-mount lens. Check their website for a list of compatible lenses.

That would depend on what mode you're using the adapter. From the manual:

"In Green Mode, battery power is conserved by reduced aperture diaphragm movements and image stabilization (if the lens is so equipped) operation. The aperture diaphragm will not stop down until the shutter release is fully depressed or the movie capture button is depressed. In Green Mode, image stabilization is not activated until the shutter release button is half-pressedor movie capture begins."

Also saw this:

"The lens' aperture is set to wide open for ease of focusing while the Wide-Open (WO) button of the Metabones Speed Booster / Smart Adapter is depressed. Release the button and the lens will return to the aperture set on the camera.

This wide-open function is automatically shut off when you actually take a picture and during movie capture.

On some camera bodies, this wide-open function is unavailable when the Metabones Smart Adapter is in Green Mode."

-- hide signature --

Neil.

sassenach74's gear list:sassenach74's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +2 more
jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,722
Like?
re: this is a bit complicated - at least in writing, as in practice one can learn...

love_them_all wrote:

...all the options pretty quickly:

• there are two modes in which aperture control behaves differently: the "green" mode (available when we mount the adapter while depressing the DOF button), and the "normal" mode (with mounting the adapter without pressing the DOF button);
  • but also it depends too on whether the option LV Display --> setting effect is ON or OFF;

depending on the above we can have aperture set wide open all the time (Canon style) with closing the iris only on the full-shutter-press, or aperture set for a preview (Sony style) and being opened only by DOF-button press, or... 1/2-press of the shutter button. Just try it in all combinations and you'll see how it works,

jpr2

Steven-T
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,080Gear list
Like?

love_them_all wrote:

Check this out on Metabones website: (The adapter I received has no manual!)

http://www.metabones.com/article/of/smart-adapter-operation-manual/147-green-power-save-mode

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
digitalhecht
Forum MemberPosts: 68
Like?

Any chance you can list which EF lenses you are using (successfully) with the Metabones III? I just returned an A7 kit to best Buy today after buying it only hours earlier due to the fact that it had been opened, used, and all documentation was missing. (From Best Buy. Imagine that...) I did fire off a few test shots at 50mm and compared them to shots from my 6D with 50mm f/1.4 prime. And I must say the results were good, but not great. So I am tempted to forego the kit and just get the body with SEL35 and Metabones adapter for my current EF lenses. But the reviews of Metabones EF II adapter are mixed at present. Thanks for your time!

Ed

ZzzooM3
Regular MemberPosts: 270Gear list
Like?
In reply to digitalhecht, 8 months ago

digitalhecht wrote:

So I am tempted to forego the kit and just get the body with SEL35 and Metabones adapter for my current EF lenses. But the reviews of Metabones EF II adapter are mixed at present. Thanks for your time!

Ed

That is what I have done. However, AF does not work as well as a native lens. The Product Page lists all the compatible lens. You can also check some of my recent posts for samples with a few EF lenses.

ZzzooM3's gear list:ZzzooM3's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha 7 Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +8 more
jpr2
Like?
Ed: all the lenses working with the MB mk-II will work with mk-III too

digitalhecht wrote:

But the reviews of Metabones EF II adapter are mixed at present.

could you pls. link the bad reviews (so far I know only the good ones, it'd be interesting to redress the balance ).

My bones of contention are two:

• [1] that they have disabled DMF,
  • and [2] that there is a FW limitation preventing the older EF lenses from AF'ing;
  • not that this is of any high importance;
  • as all the known so far SA's implementations of EF to E-mount electronic adapters must rely on the communication protocols and the CDAF performance of NEX bodies,
  • as implemented by Sony in the LA-EA3, and the CDAF as done by Sony is notoriously slooooow ,

jpr2

digitalhecht
Like?
Re: Ed: all the lenses working with the MB mk-II will work with mk-III too
In reply to jpr2, 8 months ago

Thanks, jpr2! Here is the link at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983747-REG/metabones_mb_ef_e_bm3_canon_ef_to_e_mount_nex.html

I'd be curious to know your thoughts on the bad reviews. Thanks again.

Ed

digitalhecht
Like?
In reply to ZzzooM3, 8 months ago

Thanks for your response, ZzzooM3. (Validation!) AF speed isn't a big factor with me. (THough I will be curious to see what the initial reviews of the yet to be released FE lenses for the Alphas.) Oddly, my reluctance to sell off my L lenses is due to the fact that I suspect that Canon (and maybe Nikon) MAY bite the bullet at some point and introduce their own FF compact. I know at first thought one would be tempted to dismiss this idea that neither would risk cannibalizing their SLR marketshare. But you just never know when it comes to technology.

jpr2
Like?
Ed: much tighter machining specs of Conurus/MB adapters

digitalhecht wrote:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/983747-REG/metabones_mb_ef_e_bm3_canon_ef_to_e_mount_nex.html

I guess you must mean some reported problems in mounting EF lenses on these adapters? If yes, then explanation is rather simple - for some reason MB decided to prioritize video-shooting use, and they pose that in order to achieve this they were asked by videographers to tighten the EF-mount side so there will be virtually zero-slack (don't ask me why, as I'm completely uninterested in videos and lack any knowledge there). It was commented earlier, and there were even direct responses on this forum from Conurus' founder and main person behind this exciting software crack, Bo Ming from Vancouver (perhaps if you'll use DPR's search function you'd be able to find those posts). The immediate solution is to flatten a bit three springy blades inside the EF side of the adapter, that is if you have nimble fingers and some gumption to DIY, otherwise your seller's staff should be able to handle this with ease.

jpr2

PS no, I don't think selling your L glass in EF would be a prudent decision, just look how much these lenses have gained in prices in recent months - and sooner or later you'd like to repurchase them all (at an almost certain loss ). The arrival of A7/A7s can only exacerbate this process as there are suddenly rather few more buyers on a lookout for lenses matching the resolution of the new FF sensors .

digitalhecht
Like?
Re: Ed: much tighter machining specs of Conurus/MB adapters

Thanks, jpr2. You make a good point regarding the L's!

Steven-T
Like?
Re: Ed: much tighter machining specs of Conurus/MB adapters

jpr2 wrote:

digitalhecht wrote:

I guess you must mean some reported problems in mounting EF lenses on these adapters? If yes, then explanation is rather simple - for some reason MB decided to prioritize video-shooting use, and they pose that in order to achieve this they were asked by videographers to tighten the EF-mount side so there will be virtually zero-slack (don't ask me why, as I'm completely uninterested in videos and lack any knowledge there). It was commented earlier, and there were even direct responses on this forum from Conurus' founder and main person behind this exciting software crack, Bo Ming from Vancouver (perhaps if you'll use DPR's search function you'd be able to find those posts). The immediate solution is to flatten a bit three springy blades inside the EF side of the adapter, that is if you have nimble fingers and some gumption to DIY, otherwise your seller's staff should be able to handle this with ease.

"to tighten the EF-mount side so there will be virtually zero-slack"

Got my 'Bones III two days ago.  Use it with my NEX-7 and EF 85/1.2L II today.  It's "quite" tight.  But it's fine for me.

jpr2

PS no, I don't think selling your L glass in EF would be a prudent decision, just look how much these lenses have gained in prices in recent months - and sooner or later you'd like to repurchase them all (at an almost certain loss ). The arrival of A7/A7s can only exacerbate this process as there are suddenly rather few more buyers on a lookout for lenses matching the resolution of the new FF sensors .

I agree with you 110% on L's.  5D II is the last camera I bought three years ago.  Now I can use my Leica M's for travel and light weight.  But I can also use my EF F/1.2 and F/1.4 L's for indoor video, and AF with my three F/2.8 zooms when I feel "relax", aka lazy.

Now, the big problem is: Where is my A7R?

Leica M9 Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5D Mark II Sony Alpha 7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Tom Caldwell
Forum ProPosts: 17,950
Like?
To upgrade forever?

digitalhecht wrote:

Thanks for your response, ZzzooM3. (Validation!) AF speed isn't a big factor with me. (THough I will be curious to see what the initial reviews of the yet to be released FE lenses for the Alphas.) Oddly, my reluctance to sell off my L lenses is due to the fact that I suspect that Canon (and maybe Nikon) MAY bite the bullet at some point and introduce their own FF compact. I know at first thought one would be tempted to dismiss this idea that neither would risk cannibalizing their SLR marketshare. But you just never know when it comes to technology.

I gave up on Canon dslr a bit earlier at the 5D.  I am not endlessly going to replace reliably working cameras with something much the same but only better over and over again.  There is a certain finacial pain in doing that.

However my wait for the Canon FF pro-level EVIL type camera has been unrewarded.

Canon are in a cleft stick.  Should they make the all singing, all dancing pro level EVIL type they would need to make a good one indeed and in the process they would be telling all their loyal dslr churners that they were making a mistake and that the dslr as a type was finished.  A sort of shoot yourself in the foot syndrome.  On the other hand the longer that they delay doing this the more chance that someone like Sony will outgun them with a good FF EVIL type camera.

Therefore they do two things - watch how well their dslr products are selling and bring in creeping change.  The creeping change has gone through "Live View" to flip out lcd to phase detect on sensor.  Each brought in without fanfare but preparing for the big omission of the mirror based ovf.  But how much should their loyal acolytes suffer? A big hit for an upgrade every so often, an upgrade that just refines what they already have?

I am keeping my Canon EF lenses - cost me enough, still work well.  I can "play EVIL-types" firstly with the NEX6 plus electronic adapter and if the mood strikes me an A7 type.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

cyberstudio
Regular MemberPosts: 369
Like?
Re: To upgrade forever?
In reply to Tom Caldwell, 8 months ago

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I gave up on Canon dslr a bit earlier at the 5D. I am not endlessly going to replace reliably working cameras with something much the same but only better over and over again. There is a certain finacial pain in doing that.

However my wait for the Canon FF pro-level EVIL type camera has been unrewarded.

Canon are in a cleft stick. Should they make the all singing, all dancing pro level EVIL type they would need to make a good one indeed and in the process they would be telling all their loyal dslr churners that they were making a mistake and that the dslr as a type was finished. A sort of shoot yourself in the foot syndrome. On the other hand the longer that they delay doing this the more chance that someone like Sony will outgun them with a good FF EVIL type camera.

Disclaimer: here is my personal opinion and does not represent the opinion of any company which I am affliated with. All my official hats off.

I think Canon, as a business, is perfectly fine. The only thing it is losing in the battle as of today is bragging rights. Granted, as a Japanese company losing bragging rights is sometimes less acceptable than operating at a loss. But financially there is no problem, long term or short term.

Lens making is probably more profitable than camera bodies, and Canon has the most formidable lens line up and will continue to lead here in the foreseeable future. (Nikon advocates will say their lens line up is just as great, which I will happily grant.) Many A7R owners are Canon L lenses owners. Once Canon updates its full frame sensor technology, and come up with a blockbuster like it did with the 5D and 5D Mark II, the Canon lens base is already out there in the field, and deserters will flock back to Canon. It is irrelevant whether that hypothetical blockbuster would be a EVIL or a DSLR. It just needs to beat everything else in terms of IQ, be priced reasonably and people will buy (like the 5D and 5D2 back then). It is very easy to upgrade a camera body but considerably much harder to switch an arsenal of good lenses. So, I would argue, Canon is not a casualty of A7R, but a beneficiary. If Sony does not make advances in native full frame lenses rapidly enough, using the current window of opportunity, any gained ground would be handed over back to Canon down the road. However, even if that came to pass Sony would have nothing to worry. All it would need to do would be to one-up sensor technology again and sell that sensor to Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Bo-Ming

digitalhecht
Like?
In reply to cyberstudio, 8 months ago

If Sony does not make advances in native full frame lenses rapidly enough, using the current window of opportunity, any gained ground would be handed over back to Canon down the road.

This is what keeps many on the fence re the A7. It's a leap of faith I am hesitant to take. Still, feedback here has convinced me to keep the L lenses I have no matter what I end up doing. Thanks for the insightful comments.

love_them_all
Like?

IC. The green mode is the default for the mkIII adapter.

Although there is no DOF preview, I rather have the lens at wide open ALL THE TIME. One inconvenience of using MF and manual aperture lenses is, I always prefer to focus at wide open, and then stop down to shoot. However you cannot tell what aperture you are at unless you count the clicks carefully. Some lenses are 1 stop click but some are 1/2 stop click. Focusing at stopped down may be hard at low light, noise, lag etc.

Thanks everybody for the input!

love_them_all
Like?

digitalhecht wrote:

Any chance you can list which EF lenses you are using (successfully) with the Metabones III? I just returned an A7 kit to best Buy today after buying it only hours earlier due to the fact that it had been opened, used, and all documentation was missing. (From Best Buy. Imagine that...) I did fire off a few test shots at 50mm and compared them to shots from my 6D with 50mm f/1.4 prime. And I must say the results were good, but not great. So I am tempted to forego the kit and just get the body with SEL35 and Metabones adapter for my current EF lenses. But the reviews of Metabones EF II adapter are mixed at present. Thanks for your time!

Ed

There is list of compatible lenses on the metabones site. So far I have only tested the 17-40, 24-105 (IS working), and the 40 pencake. I am pretty sure other Canon lenses I have would work as well.

A side note to everybody else who wants snappy AF on the A7/r, the only combo that got the fast af is the LA-EA4 with the factory A mount lenses. Too bad Sony will never make an adapter like that for Canon or Nikon lenses!

This is the problem for the A7/r.

- A mount lens, no IS!

-EF lenses + metabones, got the IS but slow AF!

- FE mount lenses with OSS, you need to wait for a while and no guaranteed they will make one just as you wanted

Steven-T
Like?
In reply to cyberstudio, 8 months ago

cyberstudio wrote:

Tom Caldwell wrote:

I gave up on Canon dslr a bit earlier at the 5D. I am not endlessly going to replace reliably working cameras with something much the same but only better over and over again. There is a certain finacial pain in doing that.

Canon are in a cleft stick. Should they make the all singing, all dancing pro level EVIL type they would need to make a good one indeed and in the process they would be telling all their loyal dslr churners that they were making a mistake and that the dslr as a type was finished. A sort of shoot yourself in the foot syndrome. On the other hand the longer that they delay doing this the more chance that someone like Sony will outgun them with a good FF EVIL type camera.

Disclaimer: here is my personal opinion and does not represent the opinion of any company which I am affliated with. All my official hats off.

I think Canon, as a business, is perfectly fine. The only thing it is losing in the battle as of today is bragging rights. Granted, as a Japanese company losing bragging rights is sometimes less acceptable than operating at a loss. But financially there is no problem, long term or short term.

I beg to differ. Have you read your company's latest financial report? Here is a link from Reuters:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/10/24/canon-earnings-idUSL3N0IE1UX20131024

And Nikon, a bit worse maybe?

Lens making is probably more profitable than camera bodies, and Canon has the most formidable lens line up and will continue to lead here in the foreseeable future. (Nikon advocates will say their lens line up is just as great, which I will happily grant.) Many A7R owners are Canon L lenses owners. Once Canon updates its full frame sensor technology, and come up with a blockbuster like it did with the 5D and 5D Mark II, the Canon lens base is already out there in the field, and deserters will flock back to Canon. It is irrelevant whether that hypothetical blockbuster would be a EVIL or a DSLR. It just needs to beat everything else in terms of IQ, be priced reasonably and people will buy (like the 5D and 5D2 back then). It is very easy to upgrade a camera body but considerably much harder to switch an arsenal of good lenses. So, I would argue, Canon is not a casualty of A7R, but a beneficiary. If Sony does not make advances in native full frame lenses rapidly enough, using the current window of opportunity, any gained ground would be handed over back to Canon down the road. However, even if that came to pass Sony would have nothing to worry. All it would need to do would be to one-up sensor technology again and sell that sensor to Nikon.

-- hide signature --

Bo-Ming

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads