FZ200 stills during video recording?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
PeterF
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
FZ200 stills during video recording?
10 months ago

Is it possible to take stills with a FZ200 during video recording?  If so, how does it work?  Does it interrupt the video recording or is it seamless?  What resolution stills are possible, etc.?

Thanks, Peter.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ianperegian
Senior MemberPosts: 2,857
Like?
Re: FZ200 stills during video recording?
In reply to PeterF, 10 months ago

No doubt others can give you more information, but this is what the manual says:

Still pictures can be recorded even while recording a motion picture. (simultaneous recording)
Recording of motion picture will continue after taking the still picture.
Pictures will be recorded with a picture size of [3.5M] (16:9).
Zooming will stop when a picture is recorded while zooming.

Ian

-- hide signature --
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
chr1st1an
Regular MemberPosts: 169Gear list
Like?

PeterF wrote:

Is it possible to take stills with a FZ200 during video recording? If so, how does it work? Does it interrupt the video recording or is it seamless? What resolution stills are possible, etc.?

Thanks, Peter.

Yes, you can take stills during video recording. Just press the shutter button and you will see the little "disk" in the screen indicating that the image is being recorded. The video will not stop in any way.
The stills are recorded in 2560x1440 with (at least for me) very good quality.

Christian

chr1st1an's gear list:chr1st1an's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
PeterF
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
In reply to chr1st1an, 10 months ago

Awesome, thanks.

Oddly enough that's a make or break feature for me.

I'll pick one up tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night,

Peter

Rodger1943
Senior MemberPosts: 4,343Gear list
Like?

PeterF wrote:

Awesome, thanks.

Oddly enough that's a make or break feature for me.

I'll pick one up tomorrow.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night,

Peter

Hi Peter, its a great feature, you can even do burst mode while the video is being recorded, but you can't take stills when you set the camera to the video mode. In other words, if you are in any of the still picture modes you can take video just by pushing the red record button, then you can use the shutter button to take your stills. In the video mode (top dial set to video) you start and stop the video by pressing the shutter button, so if you try and take a still, all you'll end up doing is stopping the video. Most of us probably just use the red button, as its easier. The dedicated video mode is better if you have a specific need, like you need a set shutter speed, athough I think you can probably do that any way. I haven't noticed it, but I think if you have your still picture shutter speed set to say 1/1000 sec and start the video, by pressing the red button, it will probably just start recording with that setting. Panasonic is one of the few (it may be the only one) that offers you the ability to have a dedicated video setting where you can manually set different parameters.

Have fun with your new camera.

-- hide signature --

Panasonic FZ200

Rodger1943's gear list:Rodger1943's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads