gm1 users, is the grip worth it?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
hinting
Contributing MemberPosts: 744Gear list
Like?
gm1 users, is the grip worth it?
9 months ago

My gm1 is on the way, and I am wondering if other gm1 users had tried the grip and have any opinion about it.

I typically get Panasonic leather case for my Lumix. Cameras are more protected from scratches.  Typically they have thread below for tripod or slings.

The dilemma is that the aluminium grip has no tripod hole and it is hard, that care scratch other lenses in the bag.

Grip or case?

hinting's gear list:hinting's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M-Monochrom Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 +49 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
snack
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
Re: gm1 users, is the grip worth it?
In reply to hinting, 9 months ago

I emailed Richard Franiec to see if he might have a grip in the works for this model, or if it was possible that one of his other grips happens to fit the GM1.  He said he would look into it.  Perhaps if other folks requested this he might be inclined to produce one.

His grips have always been perfect, IMO.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
FrankS009
Senior MemberPosts: 2,236Gear list
Like?
In reply to snack, 9 months ago

Interesting.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH
Jed Perkins
Regular MemberPosts: 336
Like?

The camera needs a grip, but I cannot find one for sale anywhere, including Panasonic US.  If you know where to buy one, please let us lnow

-- hide signature --

jed

eastvillager
Contributing MemberPosts: 957Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jed Perkins, 9 months ago

I ordered one from pictureline in Salt Lake City. They had it in stock. Should have it next week. I'll let you know how it is. Tried it at photo on the GM1 and thought it was an awesome edition.

I need batteries! Anyone find any?

Jed Perkins wrote:

The camera needs a grip, but I cannot find one for sale anywhere, including Panasonic US. If you know where to buy one, please let us lnow

-- hide signature --

jed

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
MrKal_El
Regular MemberPosts: 113
Like?

hinting wrote:

My gm1 is on the way, and I am wondering if other gm1 users had tried the grip and have any opinion about it.

I typically get Panasonic leather case for my Lumix. Cameras are more protected from scratches. Typically they have thread below for tripod or slings.

The dilemma is that the aluminium grip has no tripod hole and it is hard, that care scratch other lenses in the bag.

Grip or case?

I'll be honest...the price is killing me... $50 would've been perfect IMO.

-- hide signature --

Follow me on Twitter: www.twitter.com/MrKal_El

berni29
Senior MemberPosts: 1,430Gear list
Like?
In reply to eastvillager, 9 months ago

Hi

I thought my GM1 would need a grip (my EM5 certainly does) but in fact with the standard lens, 20mm f1.7 and Oly 45mm f1.8 at least, I do not think so. I did try a flipbac stick on one butĀ preferred the camera without it.

With bigger lenses perhaps it is desirable. Panasonic went a long way to make this camera as small as possible so for me it makes sense to keep it that way.

-- hide signature --

Berni29
EM-5, GM1 + Pana 12-32mm, 20mm, 14-45mm Oly 45mm, 50mm F2, (prev GH1, E30, E510, E1, E300)

berni29's gear list:berni29's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 +2 more
Joseph T Lewis III
Senior MemberPosts: 1,567Gear list
Like?
In reply to Jed Perkins, 9 months ago

Jed Perkins wrote:

The camera needs a grip, but I cannot find one for sale anywhere, including Panasonic US. If you know where to buy one, please let us lnow

-- hide signature --

jed

Try one of the Flipbac grips. They aren't that expensive (about $16 - $18), so if you don't like it you're not out a lot of money. I got the skinny one for my wife's XZ-1 and it made a world of difference.  It makes the camera a LOT easier to hold.  We've had it for a year or so and it has shown no signs of coming off.

Flipbac Grips for Small Cameras

-- hide signature --

Tom

Joseph T Lewis III's gear list:Joseph T Lewis III's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +6 more
Ulric
Senior MemberPosts: 2,619Gear list
Like?

I got my GM1 yesterday, no grip, and I don't see a need for one. The camera can easily be operated one-handed (thumb on left side, middle finger on right, index finger on button) or two-handed (thumbs on bottom, index fingers on top). The grip looks like it will get stuck in the pocket and rip it to shreds.

Ulric's gear list:Ulric's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +6 more
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,151
Like?

$100 bucks for a piece of round metal...what do you think?

Get a Flip Bac for $10, which is essentially a piece of rubber.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Zensu11
Contributing MemberPosts: 875Gear list
Like?
In reply to snack, 9 months ago

snack wrote:

I emailed Richard Franiec to see if he might have a grip in the works for this model, or if it was possible that one of his other grips happens to fit the GM1. He said he would look into it. Perhaps if other folks requested this he might be inclined to produce one.

His grips have always been perfect, IMO.

I've used two of Franiec's grips on two cameras and they made both cameras much more secure to hold (IMHO). Franiec's grips are lightweight metal and others are plastic. I think the metal holds up (looks better) after extended use. I guess he's waiting to determine if there will be much demand for a grip?

Zensu11's gear list:Zensu11's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
sibyy
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?

What I'm curious about is whether the official grip covers the battery/SD door.

If it does then it would be a hassle to have to unscrew in order to switch battery or card.

Can anyone confirm whether it does or not?

Zensu11
Like?
In reply to sibyy, 9 months ago

sibyy wrote:

What I'm curious about is whether the official grip covers the battery/SD door.

If it does then it would be a hassle to have to unscrew in order to switch battery or card.

Can anyone confirm whether it does or not?

When the camera was announced I saw a photo of the bottom of the camera with the grip attached. It looked like a solid piece of metal with no openings and I don't think it even had a tripod mount.

Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +4 more
sibyy
Regular MemberPosts: 136
Like?
In reply to Zensu11, 9 months ago

Hm, not good then.

TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,197
Like?

I'm using this small strap and with it I'm feeling like I'm not really going to need a grip.

BosStrap ($11.95 + $4 shipping)

http://www.bosstrap.com/ultralighthandband.aspx

-- hide signature --

terry
www.terrybanet.com

FrankS009
Like?
In reply to FrankS009, 9 months ago

Took a look at his grips for other cameras, and prefer the Panasonic design, although Freniec's may be equally functional.

F.

-- hide signature --

When no-one else is there, the camera becomes my means...to say to a wider audience, "Did you see that?" David duChemin

Zensu11
Like?
In reply to sibyy, 9 months ago

Here is the only image I could find that shows the top of the grip. As you can see no openings anywhere. I guess it's too small to even have another tripod mount.

No through openings

Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,045Gear list
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, 9 months ago

I've been using the supplied strap wrapped aroung my hand. Does the the BosStrap work much better than that?

Bo

Enir4
Senior MemberPosts: 2,062Gear list
Like?

I don't miss the grip at all, but I have smallish hands and a very steady pulse. So I decided to keep the GM1 small.

Enrique

Enir4's gear list:Enir4's gear list
RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS +6 more
FrankS009
Like?

A question is whether the grip will let the camera sit upright with lenses with "larger" diameters like the 20mm mounted. The DP preview says it tips back on its own.

F.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads