Problem returning 29 cameras to B&H Photo Locked

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
reginalddwight
Senior MemberPosts: 2,003Gear list
Sarcasm missed by some
In reply to YD, 8 months ago

The OP is attempting to mock a post from this week about B&H refusing to accept future camera returns because of perceived abuse of the return policy.

Bobtheamateur
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,469Gear list
Re: Problem returning 29 cameras to B&H Photo

YD wrote:

The worst part is that I can't use these cameras as they covered in ketchup from a food shoot. I have my own company specializing in spec work photographs of restaurant meals. I trade the photos to restaurant owners for the meals, but most restaurant owners do not like really well photogaphs apparently. Nikon talks about water resistant sealing but I guess ketchup is some sort of exception.

This is funny but what happened to me wasn't.  When I first got my 14-24 I was doing a shoot at a historic hotel.  Not realizing the ever present danger lurking above I set the D800 down to use another D800 and when I went back to the 14-24 it was completely covered with the most horrible-looking white and purple bird crap you had ever seen.  I spent about 20 minutes with hotel towels desperately cleaning the lens.

Luckily it still worked after the ordeal.

Bob

PS..... B and H wouldn't take it back..

Bobtheamateur's gear list:Bobtheamateur's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 +5 more
rosiesphoto
Regular MemberPosts: 177Gear list

YD wrote:

I had the misfortune today to returning a shipment of 29 Nikon D800 cameras at B&H Photo and having them tell me that I should have purchased one to evaluate it first!! I told that I wanted to try the 30 and pick the best one and returning the remaining 29 is a normal practice at every other camera store except there store apparently. I routinly buy 30 items at Best Buy and return the 29 I don't want. But these guys act like I'm abusing a privalege!

My friend recently purchased a camera, returned it, purchased another, returned it, purchased another, returned it and then purchased another. But for some reason I'm being singled out by them. Then people call him a troll for sharing his experience. I expect B&H being professionals, not tell me some things I don't want to here!

I am looking to upgrade to D800, can you please tell how you evaluated the D800 and the specific tests.

Thank you

rosiesphoto's gear list:rosiesphoto's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
GPW
GPW
Regular MemberPosts: 228Gear list

I can't say I blame B&H. To many people returning products for no reason or purchasing an item for a weekend. It costs money to return the used product to the supplier or manufacturer. RENT IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT

GPW's gear list:GPW's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II +3 more
AWG_Pics
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
reply to rosiesphoto
In reply to rosiesphoto, 8 months ago

Since I don't  have a $100,000 line of credit to buy 30 cameras, I had to wait for a 10% off deal for a refurbished D800 on the nikon web store. So my evaluation was: "Yippee! This great camera is finally selling for what I am willing to pay!" I bought it and am very pleased. It beats the heck out of listening to sales people and worrying about if Amazon is going to send me a lemon someone else returned. I know I have a lemonn, that was then resurrected by nikon. What could possibly go wrong? So far... nothing. It is a great camera!

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 +40 more
AWG_Pics
Contributing MemberPosts: 673Gear list
In reply to Bajerunner, 8 months ago

That is pretty close to an existential question, Bajerunner! I durst no try to answer it!

AWG_Pics's gear list:AWG_Pics's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D40 Nikon D90 Nikon D700 +40 more
Duncan C
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,563
LOL

I almost believed it until the ketchup bit.

Thanks for the chuckle.

YD wrote:

The worst part is that I can't use these cameras as they covered in ketchup from a food shoot. I have my own company specializing in spec work photographs of restaurant meals. I trade the photos to restaurant owners for the meals, but most restaurant owners do not like really well photogaphs apparently. Nikon talks about water resistant sealing but I guess ketchup is some sort of exception.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Duncan C
dpreview and PBase supporter.

http://www.pbase.com/duncanc
My macro gallery:
http://www.pbase.com/duncanc/macro_pictures&page=all

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,016
This is going to be a most lucrative month.
In reply to K10D, 8 months ago

K10D wrote:

HobbiesAreFun wrote:

You are abusing a privilege.

-- hide signature --

-Eric (18 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

This worst thing about this thread is that some people believe that it's true. Are you serious?

The OP sure isn't. B&H does not do that. I bought 16 Dfs from them several days ago and returned 14 of them this morning, no questions asked. It's probably because I greased the wheels by asking for store credit instead of a refund. Next week I intend to use the credit to get a dozen of those new 80-400mm AF-S VR and six 400mm f/2.8 VR Nikkors. After I return most of those, guess what goes up on eBay for the well heeled photographers that think they have everything?

george4908
Regular MemberPosts: 190

YD wrote:

I had the misfortune today to returning a shipment of 29 Nikon D800 cameras at B&H Photo and having them tell me that I should have purchased one to evaluate it first!! I told that I wanted to try the 30 and pick the best one and returning the remaining 29 is a normal practice at every other camera store except there store apparently. I routinly buy 30 items at Best Buy and return the 29 I don't want. But these guys act like I'm abusing a privalege!

My friend recently purchased a camera, returned it, purchased another, returned it, purchased another, returned it and then purchased another. But for some reason I'm being singled out by them. Then people call him a troll for sharing his experience. I expect B&H being professionals, not tell me some things I don't want to here!

You think that's bad?  I returned a camera to B&H having forgotten to remove the memory card, which was full of naked pictures of my wife.  When I went back to the shop, they'd printed them all out and taped them up behind the cash register!  Then charged me to take them down!  Da noive!

John Sheehy
Forum ProPosts: 16,026
Re: Small-time stuff
In reply to Marianne Oelund, 8 months ago

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Some years ago, two men tried to sell dozens of D2x bodies to B&H as used gear - some $200K worth of cameras. Suspecting something shady, B&H staff notified NY police. It turned out that the would-be sellers had stolen the cameras from city traffic installations: They were "red light" cameras.

I guess that those were not the thieves that people are talking about when they say things like "the thieves today are so smart ...". Reminds me of a story I heard on a local radio station while visiting Durham, NC back in the '90s. Someone had broken into a church one Friday night, taking some audio or office equipment. The following Friday night, someone broke into the church again. The third Friday night, police were hiding in the church, and guess who they caught?

Roy Sletcher
Contributing MemberPosts: 769
In reply to K10D, 8 months ago

K10D wrote:

HobbiesAreFun wrote:

You are abusing a privilege.

-- hide signature --

-Eric (18 years old with tons of things I can't wait to learn)
http://eswenson.smugmug.com

This worst thing about this thread is that some people believe that it's true. Are you serious?

-- hide signature --

Bob
Perth, Western Australia

If it's on the internet there will be lots of people believing it is true.

RS

photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,016
Re: Small-time stuff
In reply to John Sheehy, 8 months ago

John Sheehy wrote:

Marianne Oelund wrote:

Some years ago, two men tried to sell dozens of D2x bodies to B&H as used gear - some $200K worth of cameras. Suspecting something shady, B&H staff notified NY police. It turned out that the would-be sellers had stolen the cameras from city traffic installations: They were "red light" cameras.

I guess that those were not the thieves that people are talking about when they say things like "the thieves today are so smart ...". Reminds me of a story I heard on a local radio station while visiting Durham, NC back in the '90s. Someone had broken into a church one Friday night, taking some audio or office equipment. The following Friday night, someone broke into the church again. The third Friday night, police were hiding in the church, and guess who they caught?

My cousins? They live close by, but on the opposite side of Raleigh. Must have run out of pulled pork BBQ money.

VIRTWO
Forum MemberPosts: 57Gear list

30 camera returned and some posts suggesting 50 cameras returned!

It sounds abuse to me. What should the dealer do with those opened cameras? Sell them on loss? Can they return it to manufacturer?

If B&H or any retailer is able to return the cameras without having a loss then for sure they should accept all the returns, be it 30-50-100 or more. Otherwise, I don't see any reason they should take the loss.

A better policy would be to may be allow returning N number of items without any questions asked but beyond that until and unless it is a provable manufacturing defect (and not sample variation), they should charge a token amount (may be equal to rental amount). This will protect both the consumer and retailer.

VIRTWO's gear list:VIRTWO's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
Satik
Regular MemberPosts: 253

Are you sure it was organic non-high-fructose ketchup? That should be OK.

SonyForNow
Regular MemberPosts: 262Gear list
When is DPR getting a thumbs down icon I can click? n/t
No text.
 SonyForNow's gear list:SonyForNow's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Marty4650
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,656Gear list
ALERT! B&H is at it again!

Oh, the inhumanity of it!

When will B&H comply with their OWN generous return rules?

This is starting to sound like some kind of bait and switch operation run by these NYC shysters.

Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +4 more
AxelsHumanDad2
New MemberPosts: 13
In reply to Bobtheamateur, 8 months ago

Bobtheamateur wrote:

YD wrote:

This is funny but what happened to me wasn't. When I first got my 14-24 I was doing a shoot at a historic hotel. Not realizing the ever present danger lurking above I set the D800 down to use another D800 and when I went back to the 14-24 it was completely covered with the most horrible-looking white and purple bird crap you had ever seen. I spent about 20 minutes with hotel towels desperately cleaning the lens.

Luckily it still worked after the ordeal.

Bob

PS..... B and H wouldn't take it back..

But what about the towels you ruined?                       

Loren Charif
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,544

WOW...is it April 1 already?

fotolopithecus
Senior MemberPosts: 1,699Gear list

YD wrote:

So in your estimation either the store, or Nikon should eat the other 29 cameras, or be forced to sell them as used? Perhaps you think they should sell your unapproved cameras as new to other customers after you've opened them and tested them. If there's legitimately something wrong, or not within spec for a camera then by all means one has the right to return it, but you just sound like a nut that thinks the world revolves around him. Oh and yeah, what's the names of the other stores where this is a normal practice?

fotolopithecus's gear list:fotolopithecus's gear list
Nikon D610 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
unknown member
(unknown member)

YD wrote:

no take the last one back and try the D800E, I double dare you

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads