Strength of N1-CL1 Closeup Lens?

Started 10 months ago | Questions
Stephen Barrett
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?
Strength of N1-CL1 Closeup Lens?
10 months ago

What is the strength of the N1-CL1 closeup lens?
The Nikon specs don't supply this information and I haven't been able to calculate consistent values from the information that Nikon does provide.

Would somebody please do the following measurement:
Hold the N1-CL1 near a wall to get an inverted image of something outside an opposite window and then measure the distance from the lens to the wall (in millimetres) to get the focal length.

(Diopter = 1000 / focal_length)

Thank you,
Stephen

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
DesertCat
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?
More info from press release
In reply to Stephen Barrett, 10 months ago

It may not answer all of your questions, but some of the press release materials say it offers ~3.8X magnification.

http://www.photoreview.com.au/news/nikon-announces-n1-cl1-close-up-adapter

DesertCat's gear list:DesertCat's gear list
Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 30-110mm f/3.8-5.6 Nikon 1 Nikkor 18.5mm f/1.8
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Stephen Barrett
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?
Re: More info from press release
In reply to DesertCat, 10 months ago

Thanks DesertCat, but I would like to get a strength comparison with other closeup lenses. I think the 3.8x is an "effective" magnification but that the actual magnification is 1.4x when considering the 2.7 crop factor.

I tried using the minimum focus distance of 0.24 m together with the 1 m minimum focus distance of the 30-110 mm lens:
1/.24 = 1/x + 1/1 ==> x = .316 m = 316 mm ==> 3.16 diopters

When I do the same thing for the10-30 mm lens (min focus = 0.2 m) and min focus with the N1-CL1 attached is 0.09 m:
1/.09 = 1/x + 1/.2 ==> x = .164 m = 164 mm = 6.1 diopter

The two calculations are not consistent with each other, probably because the formula isn't accurate unless you use the correct reference points for the focus distances.  So I can't trust the formula and Nikon's "effective magnifications" at minimum focus do not help either.

Usually for closeup lenses, the specs include a diopter value. Why doesn't Nikon provide one?
The maximum magnification of a closeup lens usually occurs for infinite focus of the camera and, in that case, the working distance for the closeup lens is its focal length. It sounds as though Nikon is saying that its Nikon 1 system is different and that its maximum magnification occurs at minimum focus.

The only thing I would trust now is a direct measurement of the N1-CL1's focal length.

Stephen Barrett's gear list:Stephen Barrett's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX30 IS +3 more
samfan
Contributing MemberPosts: 947Gear list
Like?
Re: More info from press release

My guess is that the 3.8x is just a multiplicator of magnification of the underlying lens.

I.e. if the lens has 0.3x magnification, then with the closeup gadget it should have 1.14x. But I'm just guessing. Either way magnification of the lens has nothing to do with the crop factor.

I also think at 50 eur it's rather pricey. For a price not much higher, one can get a 1) an adapter from N1 to any mount 2) a reverse ring for said mount, 3) a 50/1.8 lens for said mount. Some great macro right there and a 50/1.8 lens for telephoto use to boot.

_sem_
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,235
Like?
Re: Strength of N1-CL1 Closeup Lens?

N1-CL1 is a single-element close-up; its main selling point is the 40.5mm diameter directly matching certain N1 lenses. Better get a good achromat closeup and a step-up ring, any diopter you fancy.

nuke12
Contributing MemberPosts: 526Gear list
Like?
Re: Strength of N1-CL1 Closeup Lens?
In reply to _sem_, 10 months ago

This is not a bad lens for the price. You just need the ring(s) to adapt 52mm down to 40.5mm.

http://opteka.com/10x.aspx

It's much better then the cheap close up lens sets.

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads