Is a "high" shutter count on new Df normal?

Started Dec 4, 2013 | Questions
Osku
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,985Gear list
Like?
Re: Is a "high" shutter count on new Df normal?
In reply to Saffron_Blaze, Dec 4, 2013

Saffron_Blaze wrote:

Perhaps they are firing off 200+ accuations then cleaning the sensor before boxing it up.

Reason might be just as you described, but I think Nikon is clever enough to use some insert that can contain all the sprayed oil so that it never even gets to the sensor. Some factory tool that would get between the oil and the parts it could do any harm. Then fire the 200+ actuations and once some tracking system (vid cam + analysis system) sees no more oil being sprayed in last 50 shutter moves, then consider it safe for shipping.

But you could be also right, there may be reasons to just let is spill and spray over and then clean up. Df is interesting device. Not sure how will this go, demand may stay quite high for a long time.

-- hide signature --

Osku

Osku's gear list:Osku's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Saffron_Blaze
Contributing MemberPosts: 613Gear list
Like?
In reply to Osku, Dec 5, 2013

Osku wrote:

Saffron_Blaze wrote:

Perhaps they are firing off 200+ accuations then cleaning the sensor before boxing it up.

Df is interesting device. Not sure how will this go, demand may stay quite high for a long time.

Last I heard demand was not that high.

Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
In reply to Saffron_Blaze, Dec 5, 2013

Saffron_Blaze wrote:

Osku wrote:

Saffron_Blaze wrote:

Df is interesting device. Not sure how will this go, demand may stay quite high for a long time.

Last I heard demand was not that high.

When there is leftover supply at launch time and in the days following, then demand is not high at all. One could order the kit from several online stores right now. A few stores, including Amazon, are have the Df alone in stock. The market is telling Nikon this camera is priced too high for what it offers.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
toomanycanons
Veteran MemberPosts: 9,734
Like?
In reply to Tubed_Jazz, Dec 5, 2013

Only 149,750 shutter actuations to go!

dgrPhotos
Forum MemberPosts: 87Gear list
Like?

I actually received two Nikon Df's and a Nikon D7100 on the same day.  Both Df's had shutter counts in the mid-200's and the D7100 was at 0.

dgrPhotos's gear list:dgrPhotos's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon Df Nikon D70s Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +6 more
sandy b
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,685Gear list
Like?
I think we have a good release
In reply to Alpha Tech, Dec 5, 2013

Actually the norm for Nikon.

sandy b's gear list:sandy b's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P330 Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM +3 more
Cliff Fujii
Senior MemberPosts: 2,939Gear list
Like?

Not always true.  The market could be telling Nikon that because of the issues with the rollout of the D800 and the D600, people are going to sit on the fence until the reliability numbers are out.  Accorrding to NowInStock, none of the large online shops have a body only Df for sale.  Amazon Market Place has a black one for $27746.95 and a silver one for $2929.95.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Cliff Fujii's gear list:Cliff Fujii's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D810 Nikon 1 Nikkor 10mm f/2.8 Nikon 1 Nikkor VR 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 +47 more
Nikonparrothead
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,205Gear list
Like?
In reply to dgrPhotos, Dec 5, 2013

That would suggest some sort of back factory testing

-- hide signature --

'Nice pen, bet you write good stories with it.'

Nikonparrothead's gear list:Nikonparrothead's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ1 Nikon D3S Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 +11 more
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?

Alpha Tech wrote:

When there is leftover supply at launch time and in the days following, then demand is not high at all. One could order the kit from several online stores right now. A few stores, including Amazon, are have the Df alone in stock. The market is telling Nikon this camera is priced too high for what it offers.

this is a misrepresentation. The body only's at amazon have a mark up of almost 200 bucks.

many of us are waiting on body only's because we have or don't need a 50mm 1.8 and we are smart enough with our money not to pay a 200 mark up to a crap business. This is a second body for many of us so we are not possessed of the hysteria of other releases.

looks to be a winner from all accounts-

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
siderean
Regular MemberPosts: 387Gear list
Like?

I bought one here in Toronto, Canada and had a little over 100 shots on the camera out of the box.  The box looked unopened and camera booted up to prompt me for time settings, etc.

-- hide signature --
 siderean's gear list:siderean's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E2 Nikon D810 +7 more
Alpha Tech
Regular MemberPosts: 406Gear list
Like?
In reply to Patrick McMahon, Dec 6, 2013

Patrick McMahon wrote:

Alpha Tech wrote:

When there is leftover supply at launch time and in the days following, then demand is not high at all. One could order the kit from several online stores right now. A few stores, including Amazon, are have the Df alone in stock. The market is telling Nikon this camera is priced too high for what it offers.

this is a misrepresentation. The body only's at amazon have a mark up of almost 200 bucks.

many of us are waiting on body only's because we have or don't need a 50mm 1.8 and we are smart enough with our money not to pay a 200 mark up to a crap business. This is a second body for many of us so we are not possessed of the hysteria of other releases.

looks to be a winner from all accounts-

This is your inexperience with Nikon product launches.

When demand is this low at launch it does NOT improve later. The early adopters have ordered. Decelerating demand follows after the initial enthusiasts have received their cameras.

Alpha Tech's gear list:Alpha Tech's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
Patrick McMahon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,212Gear list
Like?
In reply to Alpha Tech, Dec 6, 2013

Alpha Tech wrote:

This is your inexperience with Nikon product launches.

When demand is this low at launch it does NOT improve later. The early adopters have ordered. Decelerating demand follows after the initial enthusiasts have received their cameras.

Oh I was here for the D800 hysteria (In fact I was here for 8 years before you arrived )

This is a launch like no other. Besides being a niche camera in high demand by people in search of a second body- it is also in 2 styles and Nikon has decided to obligate more of it's bodies to kits. And with a lens ubiquitous to most wanting the Df. There is not a silver bodied Df to be had (unless you want to pay over MSRP), and the online sites that say there is will tell you upon checkout that they ain't got it.

On top of all of this you have a huge number of photographers who are on the fence as to the Df itself and cautious of Nikon's recent quality control. They are waiting to see... And from all I read they are going to be rewarded in a good way. You have people saying "I wasn't a fan of this camera... but damn I just shot a day with it and it is awesome!"

So don't be so eager to apply the D800/D7100 launch to this one... It is different in a number of ways and I believe demand can remain high and steady for this camera.

Patrick McMahon's gear list:Patrick McMahon's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +6 more
edu T
Senior MemberPosts: 1,106Gear list
Like?
In reply to jkjond, Dec 6, 2013

jkjond wrote:
. . .
it does intrigue me - with so many units leaving the factory, is someone sat on a wooden stool at the end of a production line pressing the shutter release about 250 times, chimping the LCD then getting a loupe out to check the sensor for oil spots and maybe even a bit of front/back focus confirmation too? The logistics of testing are quite mind boggling.
. . .

You got me wondering...

and now I think the process makes sense, as 250 shutter releases would take only 3 quarters of a minute @ the nominal 5.5 FPS rate.

Given that the poor technician on a wood stool would inspect the sensor only in the end and that the lingering suspect (from D600 times) is related to shutter/mirror lubrication, continuous shooting looks like an adequate testing procedure indeed, due to the unrelenting build-up of friction/heat/splash-ability on the shutter "clockwork", n'est-ce pas?

DarrenRI
New MemberPosts: 1Gear list
Like?
In reply to edu T, Dec 10, 2013

So it is not just mine then

My new black Df came with 227 shutter actuations.

yvind Strm
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,130
Like?
In reply to Tubed_Jazz, Dec 10, 2013

Its probably that guy who ordered 30 cameras at B&H, tested them and returned 29. 

Tubed_Jazz wrote:

Hi,

Just picked up my new Df and everything is great, except the shutter count.

Looking at a couple of initial test shots using ExifTool I was shocked to see there had already been 249 shots taken with the camera. I've had quite a few new Nikons in my time and the most I've ever seen was 6 on my new D700.

I queried the store, who contacted Nikon Australia, who then assured them (and me) that the camera:

• was new,
  • never a demo or a return, and
  • that Nikon Japan are putting all Df cameras through a more vigorous testing after the D600 problems.

They thought 249 actuations was a bit high but all new Dfs would have about 100 to 150 shutter actuations when purchased new.

Can anyone with a new Df confirm this?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Øyvind

wasserball
Senior MemberPosts: 2,603Gear list
Like?
In reply to Oscar Rico, Dec 10, 2013

Porsche used to test drive every 911 on the autobahn for about 25km, to make sure that there is nothing wrong with the car coming off the assembly line. I suspect that they don't do it anymore because quality control is much better now, and the Green party is against Porsche from damaging the environment needlessly.

I would suggest that if a car ODO does not read at least 25 km, the buyer would freak out because his car wasn't tested. Maybe you should consider yourself lucky that your camera has been "used" a few time, and that it is still working properly, a statement of the quality of a Nikon camera.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +3 more
Raul
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,514Gear list
Like?
It is not (nt)
In reply to Tubed_Jazz, Dec 10, 2013
-- hide signature --

"There is not a thin line between love and hate. There is - in fact - a Great Wall of China with armed sentries posted every 20 feet between love and hate." (House)

ravduc
Senior MemberPosts: 1,305Gear list
Like?
I seems that many in this forum would like to see the DF fail
In reply to Patrick McMahon, Dec 10, 2013

There are numerous comments about the lack of sales from individuals that don't have a clue as to what the real numbers are; other's complain about the controls, etc etc. The one's that complain are the one's that can't afford to buy one and would rather see it fail, so that they will be able to say ' I told you so! I was right!', it was too expensive; or because they simply need the approval from other's, that they have made the right choice by purchasing another product.  Enjoy your other camera, the DF is not for you.

ravduc's gear list:ravduc's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Leica Digilux 2 Canon PowerShot G10 Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Olympus E-3 +14 more
James C Taylor
Junior MemberPosts: 25Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tubed_Jazz, Dec 14, 2013

I'm sure glad I found this thread!  My brand new Df showed up today - with 237 shutter actuations!

My D800 and D700 had exactly '0'

chuhsi
Contributing MemberPosts: 706Gear list
Like?
In reply to Tubed_Jazz, Dec 20, 2013

Mine had 260 when I opened the box.

chuhsi's gear list:chuhsi's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads