Alternative to Nikon 7100 or Canon 70D?

Started Dec 2, 2013 | Discussions
Roskers
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Alternative to Nikon 7100 or Canon 70D?
Dec 2, 2013

I've had Canon kit lens break on me and have fallen foul of Nikon's cashback failures, so could anyone recommend an enthusiast rig that isn't from these two stables?

Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Gary Waugh
Senior MemberPosts: 1,357Gear list
Like?
Re: Alternative to Nikon 7100 or Canon 70D?
In reply to Roskers, Dec 3, 2013

Some good buys on the Sony SLT-A77 and the SLT-A65 these days.

Maybe Pentax.

-- hide signature --

Gary in PA

Gary Waugh's gear list:Gary Waugh's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
sterretje
Contributing MemberPosts: 660Gear list
Like?

The remaining two dSLR brands are Sony and Pentax (as far as I know). If you live in the USA, you've just missed out on the black friday deal on the K5/II for US$600.

Compared to the big two, lens selection might be a bit limited. But do you need a tilt/shift lens or an 800mm lens? I shoot Pentax and it has everything I need; this might be different for you although 3rd party lenses might do the trick (Sigma, Tamron).

Are mirrorless cameras an option?

And a bit of a reality check (no offense intended): is a broken kit lens is actually a good enough reason to switch? I don't know the circumstances under which it broke but anything can break independant of make; is it still in warranty? I would see this as an oppertunity to upgrade the lens

-- hide signature --

WimS

sterretje's gear list:sterretje's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Pentax K-5
Martin.au
Senior MemberPosts: 6,596Gear list
Like?

Roskers wrote:

I've had Canon kit lens break on me and have fallen foul of Nikon's cashback failures, so could anyone recommend an enthusiast rig that isn't from these two stables?

For photographing what?

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +3 more
Roskers
Like?
In reply to Gary Waugh, Dec 3, 2013

Thanks Gary - appreciated.

Roskers
Like?
In reply to sterretje, Dec 3, 2013

That's really helpful and appreciated. I K5ii for $600 is rather special, though we rarely see good value like that on this side of the pond. The Canon lens damage wasn't impact and it was out of warranty - just - so very frustrating. I also had a Canon video camera that went wrong just out of warranty, which set me back an extra £150 in repairs by Canon, so hence my decision to move away from that brand.

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 27,565Gear list
Like?
Don't be impractical / rash
In reply to Roskers, Dec 4, 2013

Roskers wrote:

That's rather unfortunate, but stuff happens as they say, and you have been unlucky (though,  your habits with gear in general is an unknown at the moment).   You chose what you chose for I suppose good reason.   The camera is still good, right?   Just get another lens.   There's no guarantee a different brand will never fail on you.

But if you simply just want to experience another brand/model, that would be another matter entirely.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads