GX7 - build & button stiffness (from P5 owner)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions
MT
MT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,836
Like?
GX7 - build & button stiffness (from P5 owner)
11 months ago

Getting to know the GX7. Will run concurrently with Olympus EP5.

A quick question - I never thought I'd complain about wheels being too stiff but the GX7 is too stiff - especially the mode dial, but to a lesser degree also the front dial.  Usable obviously but takes a lot of conscious effort and I'm not a weak guy...:) Does it get a bit looser after use?

I am brand agnostic but I have too say that the GX7 feels very plastic after the P5. Even the PL5 feels more solid. The P5 really has a luxurious built like a vault feel that is simply impeccable. Again, I am brand agnostic and this is not to criticize Pany as a whole - just that the GX7 feels plastic.  The large grip does grip easier than the P5.

Thanks,

MTMT

Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Willing
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Re: GX7 - build & button stiffness (from P5 owner)
In reply to MT, 11 months ago

MT wrote:

Getting to know the GX7. Will run concurrently with Olympus EP5.

A quick question - I never thought I'd complain about wheels being too stiff but the GX7 is too stiff - especially the mode dial, but to a lesser degree also the front dial. Usable obviously but takes a lot of conscious effort and I'm not a weak guy...:) Does it get a bit looser after use?

I am brand agnostic but I have too say that the GX7 feels very plastic after the P5. Even the PL5 feels more solid. The P5 really has a luxurious built like a vault feel that is simply impeccable. Again, I am brand agnostic and this is not to criticize Pany as a whole - just that the GX7 feels plastic. The large grip does grip easier than the P5.

Thanks,

MTMT

In general, Olympus builds more solid camera than Panasonic's and I don't know why!! I used to have the GF1, GH1, GH2 and now the G5 they all feel less solid or plastic than my E-M5. Actually, I don't see any problem cameras feel a little lighter or using more plastic materials. To my surprise, even the Fujifilm X-E2 costs $1000 and it feels so light and hollow and I couldn't stand it and returned it.

Willing

Willing's gear list:Willing's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson
Contributing MemberPosts: 620Gear list
Like?
GX7 feels solid to me, it may be made from plastic materials,

but it is very well made, nothing loose or flimsy... I had the E-M5 the top wheel fell of, it was certainly not better made than the GX7... not as far as I can tell ...

I have always loved Olympus, so I'm not talking as a brand fan ... just my impression ...

I have had the GX7 for two weeks and I must say that it grows on me... a very fine camera..

Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list:Gunnlaugur Gudmundsson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH
snack
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?

It's funny how people's perceptions differ.  I feel just the opposite.  The GX7 feels like a solid brick compared to the EP5.  The controls are perfectly placed for me.  They feel definite, exact, and fluid.  I really don't see how you could improve it.

greenarcher02
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
In reply to MT, 10 months ago

After a little bit of use, the front dial loosens up. As for the mode dial... well it's good that it's that way as it doesn't have a lock.

It does feel very light. It's like the GX1. They're both metal, but for some reason they feel so light that it's not proportional to the size. So it feels hollow and cheap.

greenarcher02's gear list:greenarcher02's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +1 more
MT
MT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,836
Like?
In reply to greenarcher02, 10 months ago

Well, did some real shooting tonight.  Adapted to it quickly but yes, it continues to feel 'hollow' (good term) and plastic.  But functionally do like the built in EVF though it is a far cry from the VF4 for me.  Nice camera.

MTMT

greenarcher02
Forum MemberPosts: 70Gear list
Like?
In reply to MT, 10 months ago

It's like the iPhone 5 of m43. Supposedly metal but it's so light it feels hollow.

I actually have no problems with it, as I'm used to light products. It's still well made. Just doesn't feel like it sometimes.

greenarcher02's gear list:greenarcher02's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads