Steve Huff review A7/R, say they will take over the world!

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
Steve Huff review A7/R, say they will take over the world!
9 months ago

Well, the mirrorless world at least

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/11/29/the-sony-a7-and-a7r-camera-review-by-steve-huff/

seems he thinks A7 is best all around, while A7R is best for ultimate image quality. he asks why does Sony make us choose!? I agree!

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
abortabort
Contributing MemberPosts: 942Gear list
Like?
Re: Steve Huff review A7/R, say they will take over the world!
In reply to zilver, 9 months ago

Well, the mirrorless world at least

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2013/11/29/the-sony-a7-and-a7r-camera-review-by-steve-huff/

seems he thinks A7 is best all around, while A7R is best for ultimate image quality. he asks why does Sony make us choose!? I agree!

because Steve's mythical middle camera wouldn't work - Sony have said that in order to have PDAF on the sensor then it has to have an AA filter.

Lots of people wanted the D800E sensor in a FF NEX (before the A7/R's were released), but many people were happy having 24MP, so a choice is good.

abortabort's gear list:abortabort's gear list
Sony RX100 Ricoh GR Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 +32 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Astrophotographer 10
Senior MemberPosts: 4,619Gear list
Like?
In reply to abortabort, 9 months ago

Good review. Thanks for posting.

Helped me make a decision about which lenses to get. I am now thinking Zeiss FE 35 2.8

and the 24-70 F4 when released should be enough with my other non Sony lenses covering the difference.

Greg.

NEXFULLFRAME
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?

The A7r has more resolution. But the A7 has less vignetting and color-shift. It's debatable to say that one sensor offers higher performance than the other.

Jefenator
Senior MemberPosts: 1,391Gear list
Like?

Great review - well thought out, well laid out, seems to "get" what these cameras are good for & why they are important without crossing over into hype.

I thought it was interesting toward the end (under "final thoughts") when he talks about approaching the A7/r more like a medium format rig - slow & steady. (Sounds good to me - I've always favored a more contemplative approach.)

Jefenator's gear list:Jefenator's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Canon EOS M Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +1 more
zilver
Contributing MemberPosts: 511Gear list
Like?
In reply to Astrophotographer 10, 9 months ago

Good review. Thanks for posting.

Helped me make a decision about which lenses to get. I am now thinking Zeiss FE 35 2.8

and the 24-70 F4 when released should be enough with my other non Sony lenses covering the difference.

Greg.

You won't be disappointed with the 35mm FE, relatively compact, sharp, overall great lens!

zilver's gear list:zilver's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony Alpha 7S Leica T
bluevellet
Senior MemberPosts: 1,663Gear list
Like?

He glosses over the AF tracking and only mentions continuous shooting when there's no tracking at all. I guess he shot with manual focus almost exclusively.

But I'm glad he recognizes operation is still slow, even with AF out of the equation. It's a pretty big deal.

Overall, the review is heavily legacy-glass-oriented.

bluevellet's gear list:bluevellet's gear list
Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
shadowhumper
Regular MemberPosts: 207Gear list
Like?
In reply to bluevellet, 9 months ago

bluevellet wrote:

He glosses over the AF tracking and only mentions continuous shooting when there's no tracking at all. I guess he shot with manual focus almost exclusively.

But I'm glad he recognizes operation is still slow, even with AF out of the equation. It's a pretty big deal.

I can't say anything about tracking, since I don't care for it, but AF isn't slow. In fact wit FE 35 2.8 it is faster than the E-M5 with Pana 20 1.7.

I should know because I own both.

gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?

bluevellet wrote:

Steve is positive about using legacy M lenses but the review of T Ashley and the samples of Ron Scheffer do contradict this. Even with the 50 mm Lux the files are far from stellar. 
Who is right ?? My initial conclusion is that the A7/A7r are fine camera's with their native lenses and when legacy glass works well then it is a bonus.

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
Hentaiboy
Regular MemberPosts: 180
Like?
In reply to gotompoes, 9 months ago

Huff's a camera whore. The Nikon Df will be his favourite next week 

gotompoes
Regular MemberPosts: 416Gear list
Like?
In reply to Hentaiboy, 9 months ago

Hentaiboy wrote:

That is a bit hard on him. Steve likes well build good looking camera's and the Nikon Df fits his taste.
His tabloid style of writing is fun reading. Important conclusions with regard the Sony A7 are not shared by some other reviewers. Time will tell.
His conclusion with regard to AF speed can be read in many ways. Faster then the Fuji X series was his conclusion. Which one. ?? The Fuji X E1, X100 S, Fuji X E2 ???

gotompoes's gear list:gotompoes's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon Df Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +9 more
lolopasstrail
Regular MemberPosts: 165
Like?

I have a headache from reading the gushing prose, like texts a 13 year old girl would share.  OMG!!! OMG!!!   Random capitalized words, heavy on the exclamation points, phrases randomly in capital letters, then other phrases randomly italicized, then both, then both in red colored fonts... 

Funniest thing is, so many of the responding posters write the exact same style.

I try to get past the headache part and pull out some really useful information.  It seems the takeaway is this is the best camera ever.  I think I read the same about the Olympus EM1 and a Fuji or two.  After that, the direct commercial that if you want to buy this bestest camera ever, just go to this link.

I'm looking forward to real world reviews from someone who has no links to making money from gushing over the latest newest expensive commercial product.  Ming Thein is a standout- no commercials, honest real-world experiences, take it or leave it.

I have no ill will toward Steve and it is his site to do as he pleases, and appreciate that he even has a site.  My suggestion is to engage an editor to tone down the italics and trim the repetition is all.

bluevellet
Like?

gotompoes wrote:

Hentaiboy wrote:

That is a bit hard on him. Steve likes well build good looking camera's and the Nikon Df fits his taste.
His tabloid style of writing is fun reading. Important conclusions with regard the Sony A7 are not shared by some other reviewers. Time will tell.
His conclusion with regard to AF speed can be read in many ways. Faster then the Fuji X series was his conclusion. Which one. ?? The Fuji X E1, X100 S, Fuji X E2 ???

Didn't he also say it was faster than the NEX7? Like with AF tracking or the misfocusing, my impression is that he doesn't really care. It could be a small cardboard box with a FF sensor inside and he'd be half way happy because he can attach his expensive, exotic glass on it.

He talks about the A7's being slow, but simply adapts himself to the slowness and then he's happy again. I'm sure many Fuji fans will be asking themselves why he didn't adapt himself when he famously called their cameras 'slow and quirky'.

Kodak EasyShare P880 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon D610 +7 more
bluevellet
Like?
In reply to shadowhumper, 9 months ago

shadowhumper wrote:

bluevellet wrote:

I can't say anything about tracking, since I don't care for it, but AF isn't slow. In fact wit FE 35 2.8 it is faster than the E-M5 with Pana 20 1.7.

E-M5 may be fast in most circumstances, but the Lumix 20mm is notoriously slow and slows down any m43 camera considerably when attached to it.

Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?

bluevellet wrote:

shadowhumper wrote:

bluevellet wrote:

E-M5 may be fast in most circumstances, but the Lumix 20mm is notoriously slow and slows down any m43 camera considerably when attached to it.

Absolutely. And to the OP, he doesn't say it will take over the world, and if you read his other reviews, he seems to prefer the E-M1.

I'm thinking about getting the A7, but this review has me worried. If someone who does mostly manual focusing with legacy glass is calling a camera slow then this doesn't sound good. What does he mean by slow? Slow starting up? Something else? I can't really figure out what he is trying to say.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
bluevellet
Like?
In reply to Brian Caslis, 9 months ago

Brian Caslis wrote:

bluevellet wrote:

shadowhumper wrote:

bluevellet wrote:

Absolutely. And to the OP, he doesn't say it will take over the world, and if you read his other reviews, he seems to prefer the E-M1.

I'm thinking about getting the A7, but this review has me worried. If someone who does mostly manual focusing with legacy glass is calling a camera slow then this doesn't sound good. What does he mean by slow? Slow starting up? Something else? I can't really figure out what he is trying to say.

The DPReview staff touched on the slow issues before. The camera can take 3 seconds to start, even longer in situations like, for example, turning it off and on quickly. Definitely not a camera for "if-you-blink-you'll-miss-it" moments.

Other slowness details are known simply by the spec sheets. Continuous shooting with AF slows down the A7 to 2.5 fps and the A7r to 1.5 fps.

quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,230Gear list
Like?

I'm sure glad we have all the m43 fanboys in here to explain why every glowing review of the A7 is wrong!

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
LoneReaction
Contributing MemberPosts: 506Gear list
Like?

bluevellet wrote:

Brian Caslis wrote:

The DPReview staff touched on the slow issues before. The camera can take 3 seconds to start, even longer in situations like, for example, turning it off and on quickly. Definitely not a camera for "if-you-blink-you'll-miss-it" moments.

It takes a while sometimes if you turn it off for a second then turn it on again. Other than that, it is fast enough.

I just used the stopwatch on my phone with my left hand, and with my right hand I turned on the camera, and took a photo (manual focus). Once I heard the shutter I stopped the stopwatch. This took exactly 1.01 seconds.

If anything, I think the camera starts to really "shut down" about a second after you turn it off. And it takes a few seconds to shut down. If you flick the switch on and off in a split second, it does not shut down and just turns back on. So I would say that the camera takes a while to shutdown, but starts up really quickly.

-- hide signature --
 LoneReaction's gear list:LoneReaction's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7 Sony E 35mm F1.8 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +5 more
Brian Caslis
Senior MemberPosts: 2,844Gear list
Like?
In reply to LoneReaction, 9 months ago

How is it in normal operation? Anything feel slow? I can't quite figure out what the point in his review was. Is it it's slow to turn on? You can need to take more care to get a 36MP shot? If it feels normal/fast in normal operation I don't see what the point is.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
quezra
Senior MemberPosts: 2,230Gear list
Like?
In reply to Brian Caslis, 9 months ago

Brian Caslis wrote:

How is it in normal operation? Anything feel slow? I can't quite figure out what the point in his review was. Is it it's slow to turn on? You can need to take more care to get a 36MP shot? If it feels normal/fast in normal operation I don't see what the point is.

Why do you care?  You have already decided you're not interested in this camera, correct?

quezra's gear list:quezra's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony Alpha NEX-5N Voigtlander 35mm F1.4 Nokton +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads