IBIS for SONY E MOUNT FF cameras may be seen in upcoming models !

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
altaf007
Junior MemberPosts: 35
Like?
IBIS for SONY E MOUNT FF cameras may be seen in upcoming models !
9 months ago

Has anybody ever wondered why didn't Sony make in-lens optically stabilized Zeiss lenses for A7/A7r cameras ? Since Sony & Olympus have agreed to share technology  I believe Sony had plans to release IBIS Mirrorless cameras in near future and at present time the technology wasn't mature enough to make its way into A7/A7r cameras.

what do you think guys will we ever see IBIS mirrorless cameras by Sony ?

Sony Alpha 7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
CyrusK
Forum MemberPosts: 88Gear list
Like?
Re: IBIS for SONY E MOUNT FF cameras may be seen in upcoming models !
In reply to altaf007, 9 months ago

The zeiss Zoom FE 24-70mm f/4.0 has OSS

The Sony FE 28-70 has OSS

The Sony FE 70-200 f/4.0 G has OSS

It is often that short FL lenses... Especially for the primes as both Zeiss 35mm and 55mm do not need absolutely OSS... Check offering from Nikon and Canon who do not have IBIS on similar FL lenses.

CyrusK's gear list:CyrusK's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 Sony SLT-A55 Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Clayton1985
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,833
Like?

altaf007 wrote:

Has anybody ever wondered why didn't Sony make in-lens optically stabilized Zeiss lenses for A7/A7r cameras ? Since Sony & Olympus have agreed to share technology I believe Sony had plans to release IBIS Mirrorless cameras in near future and at present time the technology wasn't mature enough to make its way into A7/A7r cameras.

I suppose I wouldn't object if it doesn't add to the overall size but it's not very high on the priority list for me.   The lenses that I will use the majority of the time will likely be stabilized anyway which helps me at times but overall it's a small percentage of the time.

NEXFULLFRAME
Regular MemberPosts: 277
Like?

I certainly hope not. Give me fast lenses and big high-ISO sensors that can actually freeze motion blur instead.

IBIS represents everything wrong with over-complex technology that u43 users seem to love. It's yet another thing to go wrong when sensor alignment is so critical to avoid lens de-centering issues that become more important the larger the format,

As evidence, the OMD series has trouble at certain shutter speed ranges when not using EFCS due to IBIS reacting badly with the shutter shock and body vibration harmonics.

captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,495Gear list
Like?

Olympus engineers are hard at work to implement their excellent 5-axis IBIS, in a miniaturized format, into the next generation of Sony MILC cameras. OSS will be dropped at that time, making future lenses smaller.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
SQLGuy
Senior MemberPosts: 2,687Gear list
Like?

altaf007 wrote:

Has anybody ever wondered why didn't Sony make in-lens optically stabilized Zeiss lenses for A7/A7r cameras ? Since Sony & Olympus have agreed to share technology I believe Sony had plans to release IBIS Mirrorless cameras in near future and at present time the technology wasn't mature enough to make its way into A7/A7r cameras.

It was mature enough to make its way into the a99 over a year ago.

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
captura
Forum ProPosts: 13,495Gear list
Like?
In reply to SQLGuy, 9 months ago

SQLGuy wrote:

altaf007 wrote:

-- hide signature --

Nex-7 with kit lenses, Contax G 35, and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD)

That was not the Olympus system.

captura's gear list:captura's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Sony Alpha NEX-7 NEX5R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS +9 more
BeeJee
Regular MemberPosts: 220Gear list
Like?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

I have doubts that the E munt is large enough to support  IBIS, especially with full frame tele lenses - where it would help most, but where the rear lens element is so far away from the sensor that the mount only just allows to illuminate a perfectly centered sensor.

-- hide signature --

Gallery: jour.zenfolio.com

BeeJee's gear list:BeeJee's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS
SQLGuy
Like?
In reply to captura, 9 months ago

captura wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

altaf007 wrote:

-- hide signature --

That was not the Olympus system.

So? I'm sure Sony has many reasons for not implementing IBIS in their mirrorless cameras besides it not being Olympus' system.

It will be interesting to see what they include in next year's A-mounts, though.

-- hide signature --

Canon PowerShot G9 Nikon D200 A3000 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G
SQLGuy
Like?
In reply to BeeJee, 9 months ago

BeeJee wrote:

I have doubts that the E munt is large enough to support IBIS, especially with full frame tele lenses - where it would help most, but where the rear lens element is so far away from the sensor that the mount only just allows to illuminate a perfectly centered sensor.

-- hide signature --

Gallery: jour.zenfolio.com

+1, at least for full frame, where that sensor is tucked pretty tightly into the mount.

-- hide signature --

jpr2
Forum ProPosts: 13,730
Like?
re: indeed, hopefully NEVER
In reply to NEXFULLFRAME, 9 months ago

NEXFULLFRAME wrote:

I certainly hope not. Give me fast lenses and big high-ISO sensors that can actually freeze motion blur instead.

IBIS represents everything wrong with over-complex technology that u43 users seem to love. It's yet another thing to go wrong when sensor alignment is so critical to avoid lens de-centering issues that become more important the larger the format,

As evidence, the OMD series has trouble at certain shutter speed ranges when not using EFCS due to IBIS reacting badly with the shutter shock and body vibration harmonics.

IBIS is a gimmick, and useless for moving targets anyway = no need to make cameras more bulky for a very sporadic & doubtful capability. It might be OK with behemoths like SLT line, but it is a blessing that it is absent in small MILCs - we want MILC to get smaller still, not larger

jpr2

Lightshow
Senior MemberPosts: 2,430Gear list
Like?

altaf007 wrote:

It's bound to happen at some point, there are enough whiners that can't take a picture without it that eventually it will happen, don't get me wrong, it is useful, but some use it as a crutch for their bad technique, I wonder what photogs did before IS/OSS/IBIS?

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha 7R +1 more
Keit ll
Senior MemberPosts: 2,799Gear list
Like?
Re: re: indeed, hopefully NEVER
In reply to jpr2, 9 months ago

jpr2 wrote:

NEXFULLFRAME wrote:

IBIS is a gimmick, and useless for moving targets anyway = no need to make cameras more bulky for a very sporadic & doubtful capability. It might be OK with behemoths like SLT line, but it is a blessing that it is absent in small MILCs - we want MILC to get smaller still, not larger

Is that the Royal 'We' or are you able to second guess what all other users want ? There is some evidence that many users think that the NEX's are too small & this accounts for the mixed reception that they have had in the USA.

I suspect that most who think that IBIS is not needed have not actually used an IBIS stabilised camera. I have yet to meet an A-mount users who would like IBIS removed from their cameras. IBIS mechanisms vary & some are better than others. I  have confidence in SONY engineers who should be able to refine & improve the Olympus system.

The fact that IBIS does not deal completely with subject motion is largely irrelevant as it can always be switched off when it is not needed.

Some stubbornly refuse to see that IBIS would greatly enhance the use of older lenses with various adapters. If Sony don't add it then other manufacturers will capitalise on this omission & introduce it on their cameras . Panasonic have done this on their GX7 & that still has ILIS capability as well. All sorts of excuses are made for not having this feature but they are convenient rationalisations after the  fact.

jpr2
Like?
re: yes, no matter how/if royal or not - even we can't thwart the laws...
In reply to Keit ll, 9 months ago

...of physics - no matter how very small & light, it will still be bigger and heavier than the identical model but without IBIS no one will be able to circumvent this, no matter how smart the engineers

jpr2

Keit ll
Like?
Re: re: yes, no matter how/if royal or not - even we can't thwart the laws...

jpr2 wrote:

...of physics - no matter how very small & light, it will still be bigger and heavier than the identical model but without IBIS no one will be able to circumvent this, no matter how smart the engineers

Ah ! The immutable laws of Physics argument .....

jpr2
Like?
re: how about the costs - immutable laws of economics?? (n/t)

jpr2

Keit ll
Like?
Re: re: how about the costs - immutable laws of economics?? (n/t)

jpr2 wrote:

jpr2

Is that an example of an inscrutable reply ? If you are implying that IBIS would add to the asking price , well have you heard the expression 'spoil the ship for a ha'pworth worth of tar ' ?

jpr2
Like?
re: pennies? a drop of tar??
  • if the recent OMG-E1's (no Nex'en with IBIS yet) ridiculously outrageous price is to be used for weighting an IBIS,
  • it seems to be pretty far from just pennies = the E1 should cost perhaps $700-800 (equivalent N6 or N7 bodies right now) at most,
  • but it goes for about twice as much:
  • so, if we attribute 1/3 of that for a "novelty factor",
  • then the rest - a rather hefty 2/3... must be the price of an IBIS in it
  • pretty far from just pennies - quite a lot for a feature I neither need nor want, and certainly not a price for something "one can just switch off if not wanted" as you've put it

jpr2

Keit ll
Like?
Re: re: pennies? a drop of tar??

jpr2 wrote:

• if the recent OMG-E1's (no Nex'en with IBIS yet) ridiculously outrageous price is to be used for weighting an IBIS,
  • it seems to be pretty far from just pennies = the E1 should cost perhaps $700-800 (equivalent N6 or N7 bodies right now) at most,
  • pretty far from just pennies - quite a lot for a feature I neither need nor want, and certainly not a price for something "one can just switch off if not wanted" as you've put it

Never heard of this mythical camera .....

jpr2
Like?
re: pennies? a drop of tar??

jpr2 wrote:

• if the recent OMD-EM1's (no Nex'en with IBIS yet) ridiculously outrageous price is to be used for weighting an IBIS,

jpr2

sorry for the confusion, it should read OMD-EM1, I'm not terribly well versed in their names = even more mysterious choices than the coding of our Nex-5x (where "x" was pretty close to a completely random selection from the whole alphabet ),

jpr2

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads