"dark pressure forms you to this world"

C&C welcome

Claudio

dr.noise
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
Re: New gallery "dark pressure"
In reply to mclaudio, Nov 29, 2013

Viewed all of your galleries. Some of the images are really touching me. Thanks for your great work!

You didn't place index on the "dark pressure" gallery, what place it was shoot at?

Also, I have to comment about the site's usability. When the first photo opened, I couldn't find a way to go back (didn't notice it was a new window) or move to another photo. Only accidentally I finally turned the mouse wheel. This type of navigation is very restrictive. Imagine people working on notebooks having only a touchpad.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
SigmaTog
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?

Thanks for showing Claudio

You have an 'eye' & a wonderful portfolio.

'Dark Pressure' has lots of white pressure & red hot pressure too

Do you use Sigma cameras ?

ΣigmaTog

ju_ju
Contributing MemberPosts: 939Gear list
Like?

Claudio A wonderful site with superb images. A pleasure to view. No humans in sight. The site worked fine for myself.

Thanks.

ju_ju's gear list:ju_ju's gear list
Canon PowerShot G11 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Mark II +18 more
DMillier
Forum ProPosts: 17,985
Like?

The navigation on your site is perhaps the most unintuitive I've seen for many a year. It's a nightmare.

As a professional web usability tester, you core 0/10 for that.

What's wrong with simple links that say "Previous", "Next"? You're in big trouble if you have to provide textural help of of how to move from image to image!  It's a shame because you are putting a barrier between the user and your work that means many people won't bother to try and work it out and you'll be the person who loses out.

Keep it simple,keep it obvious, stick with tried and tested solutions.Re-inventing navigation priciples for one site doesn't work.

Now with that off my chest, time to get positive.

Love the pictures, love the concept of thematic projects and galleries and it all looks nice too. Excellent work.

(Please sort out the navigation!).

-- hide signature --
SigmaChrome
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,195Gear list
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Nov 29, 2013

Seeing we both do the same kind of work, Dave, I have to agree completely.

I would love to see these shots presented in a far more accessible way.

But the shots I did see were fascinating...

DMillier wrote:

The navigation on your site is perhaps the most unintuitive I've seen for many a year. It's a nightmare.

What's wrong with simple links that say "Previous", "Next"? You're in big trouble if you have to provide textural help of of how to move from image to image! It's a shame because you are putting a barrier between the user and your work that means many people won't bother to try and work it out and you'll be the person who loses out.

Keep it simple,keep it obvious, stick with tried and tested solutions.Re-inventing navigation priciples for one site doesn't work.

Now with that off my chest, time to get positive.

Love the pictures, love the concept of thematic projects and galleries and it all looks nice too. Excellent work.

(Please sort out the navigation!).

-- hide signature --
 SigmaChrome's gear list:SigmaChrome's gear list
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD14 +13 more
brbennett
Forum MemberPosts: 54Gear list
Like?

Thanks for sharing your wonderful images with us!

-- hide signature --

Reality is not always probable, or likely.
- J. L. Borges

brbennett's gear list:brbennett's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Kendall Helmstetter Gelner
Forum ProPosts: 18,645Gear list
Like?
Viewers: Scroll or use arrow keys in gallery

I love the concept and photos for "Dark Pressure"!

It took me a few moments to figure out how to get to the other images, the arrow key being the best way I found...

For comments on the gallery I wanted to mention there was one photo that for me didn't quite fit - #24, just after the still lake shot.  To me I don't really feel the pressure of the dark as much as I do in other photos... although on a second look it may be the dark is a pressure building from within...

Thanks for sharing!

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Like?
Clutter is wrong too
In reply to DMillier, Nov 29, 2013

DMillier wrote:

What's wrong with simple links that say "Previous", "Next"? You're in big trouble if you have to provide textural help of of how to move from image to image! It's a shame because you are putting a barrier between the user and your work that means many people won't bother to try and work it out and you'll be the person who loses out.

We all figured it out though.

Personally all of the gallery extras like next/back buttons add clutter, and he's going for a stark look where anything detracts.

Instead of controls that clutter up the thing, I would instead suggest a default scrolling action that happens after a few seconds so you get the idea you can go down...  people would easily figure it out from that.

If no-one tries anything new, we will never advance as a species.  Personally I like his gallery better than just about any other web gallery I've ever come across.

Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
DMillier
Like?
Re: Clutter is wrong too
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Nov 29, 2013

Do you think the iPhone would have been such a success if the button did some thing dfferent every time you used it. Or would cars be safer if one model used the wheel to steer' the next to brake. Back in 1995 the web was chaotic like that too, and before visual basic was developed programming of GUI were different for every program. Did you ever use raw shooter essentials when they decided to dispense with standard ui features like menus. Have you tried working out touch screen devices that use their own proprietary interfaces. Do you remember the heady days of cd-roms (encarta, anyone) when every encycopedia etc had its own way of providing navigation. Do you remember that thank fully short lived vogue for building web navigation with secret links tat you couldn't see and the user had to randomly run their mouse all around to find.

These are examples of creative innovation. They have moment in the sun, the whim of a self indulgent designer daring to be different (purely for the sake of it) before being gratefully discarded for something that actually works.  If you care about your audience you murder your darling genius ideas, because once the whizz bang has worn of they aren't much good. There is very little as utterly humiliating as sitting behind a one way mirror watching your test subjects utterly baffled by your carefully crafted innovations.

Being creative while constrained within boundaries is a far' far greater challenge than a free reign and yields real innovation, not merely eye candy. Necessity is the mother of invention and all that.

-- hide signature --
Like?
In reply to DMillier, Nov 30, 2013

DMillier wrote:

Do you think the iPhone would have been such a success if the button did some thing dfferent every time you used it.

Do you think the iPhone would have been such a success if it worked the way all phones before it did?

The entire rest of your post just goes on ignoring the fact that everyone here figured out how to use the website, so there's no reason to complain that I can see.  Now when you go back there you'll know how to use it; you learned something new as did I, our UX vocabulary has been expanded.  That is how progress works and wherever you find it you'll find people stridently arguing against it.

JL Salvignol
Contributing MemberPosts: 978Gear list
Like?
In reply to mclaudio, Nov 30, 2013

Hi Claudio!

It is a rare pleasure to discover your photos. Surprisingly, your universe seems for me irresistibly reminiscent of that of Jean Giono, one of the great French writers of the twentieth century. The universal is reached via a radical immersion in the local. And in a certain way Elliot Porter is not so far.

Magnifique !

-- hide signature --

JLS

JL Salvignol's gear list:JL Salvignol's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Nikon 1 V1 Pentax K-01 Nikon 1 S1 Nikon 1 V3 +12 more
sattva
Forum MemberPosts: 99
Like?

Very impressive work and presentation mclaudio! Compliments and best wishes!

Cheers!

Sattva

DMillier
Like?
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Nov 30, 2013

That's not the point.  The point is that apart from a handful of highly motivated people like us, people on the web spend an average of 0.8 sec evaluating a web site for usefulness before moving on. If you break the UI paradigm, you have very little chance of holding your visitor's attention. Impatience and irritation rule.

I recognise that it is certainly true that there is a bit of a convention amongst people who self-subscribe as "artist" to try and build a fancy look and feel - that abomination, the flash site is probably more prevalent on photography sites than elsewhere - but the de facto rules don't really change, even if there is a fraction more slack given.

It's perfectly possible to design a beautiful website that showcases your work in a minimalist style that has intuitive navigation that requires no working out and also works well on PCs and handhelds alike.

All you need to do to make a useable photo gallery is display the image with an arrow on one side pointing left and an arrow on the other pointing right and it is perfectly obvious what you have to do to navigate the gallery. You can make it respond to the LEFT/RIGHT arrow keys and the scroll wheel as well. The author of this gallery knew there was a usability problem because it had to write instructions on how to move from one image to another.

NB: The images are great, this is purely about web usability design.

-- hide signature --
SigmaTog
Contributing MemberPosts: 748
Like?

Yes they are beaut pictures David.

On the 'Home' page at the foot there are the instructions for browsing the site....

If all else fails read the instructions, then the process of enjoyment is a pure pleasure as are the pictures......the photographer is a genius, but can't be all to everyone

ΣigmaTog

DMillier wrote:

That's not the point. The point is that apart from a handful of highly motivated people like us, people on the web spend an average of 0.8 sec evaluating a web site for usefulness before moving on. If you break the UI paradigm, you have very little chance of holding your visitor's attention. Impatience and irritation rule.

I recognise that it is certainly true that there is a bit of a convention amongst people who self-subscribe as "artist" to try and build a fancy look and feel - that abomination, the flash site is probably more prevalent on photography sites than elsewhere - but the de facto rules don't really change, even if there is a fraction more slack given.

It's perfectly possible to design a beautiful website that showcases your work in a minimalist style that has intuitive navigation that requires no working out and also works well on PCs and handhelds alike.

All you need to do to make a useable photo gallery is display the image with an arrow on one side pointing left and an arrow on the other pointing right and it is perfectly obvious what you have to do to navigate the gallery. You can make it respond to the LEFT/RIGHT arrow keys and the scroll wheel as well. The author of this gallery knew there was a usability problem because it had to write instructions on how to move from one image to another.

NB: The images are great, this is purely about web usability design.

-- hide signature --
dr.noise
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,467Gear list
Like?
In reply to Kendall Helmstetter Gelner, Nov 30, 2013

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

The entire rest of your post just goes on ignoring the fact that everyone here figured out how to use the website, so there's no reason to complain that I can see.

You can't make the assumption based on a few people. When there are thousands of viewers, their success rate will be quite different, and for example I figured out how to use the website just because I had enough time and effort.

Now when you go back there you'll know how to use it; you learned something new as did I, our UX vocabulary has been expanded.

That is great for us as we are willing to learn. That is probably not great for the 1/1000th of site viewers who might, for example, make a business proposall to the author. Thus a chance will be lost.

I would deal with this problem like this:
1) On the first view, show a message "use arrows or mouse wheel to navigate"
2) Slowly fade the message so the screen is uncluttered again

DMillier
Like?
In reply to dr.noise, Nov 30, 2013

This is a flash site which I would absolutely not recommend but the UI could be done in HTML.

You couldn't really get a simpler or more obvious navigation:

http://www.michelrajkovic.fr/fr/?language=english&theme=en#/010-Portfolio/0-nouveautes/0830.jpg

-- hide signature --
mclaudio
Junior MemberPosts: 39
Like?

many thanks to all for the nice words

in the next messages I will try to answer to some of your questions

thanks again

Claudio

Like?

DMillier wrote:

This is a flash site which I would absolutely not recommend but the UI could be done in HTML.

You couldn't really get a simpler or more obvious navigation:

http://www.michelrajkovic.fr/fr/?language=english&theme=en#/010-Portfolio/0-nouveautes/0830.jpg

And as your mouse moves around the entire screen is filling with artifacts.

If I go a gallery does a funny clown jump in front of the picture I am looking at inviting me to share?  No.  Is it really necessary for me to see arrow controls after the first use of them?  No.  The eye is drawn to shape and it takes my eye off the picture.  It interacts with the composition of every page.

I GREATLY prefer the Dark Pressure gallery.  Isn't it nice we can have different things instead of everything being the same all the time?  Isn't it nice that someone cares more about presentation of a photograph than technically correct web design that leaves the viewer cold?

Like?
Reward
In reply to dr.noise, Nov 30, 2013

dr.noise wrote:

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

The entire rest of your post just goes on ignoring the fact that everyone here figured out how to use the website, so there's no reason to complain that I can see.

You can't make the assumption based on a few people. When there are thousands of viewers, their success rate will be quite different, and for example I figured out how to use the website just because I had enough time and effort.

But you can tell from the first image that effort will be rewarded, and the viewer will likely pay closer attention as a result - and they will feel good about haven figured something out, leaving them in a positive mood.

Now when you go back there you'll know how to use it; you learned something new as did I, our UX vocabulary has been expanded.

That is great for us as we are willing to learn. That is probably not great for the 1/1000th of site viewers who might, for example, make a business proposall to the author. Thus a chance will be lost.

Dubious at best that would be an issue.

I would deal with this problem like this:
1) On the first view, show a message "use arrows or mouse wheel to navigate"
2) Slowly fade the message so the screen is uncluttered again

The problem with a fading instruction (from experience in mobile development) is that someone can look away for the time that it is up and easily miss it, or just see it was there as it vanishes (very frustrating).  Also, any text in theory requires localization.

I already gave my solution to help those confused (a technique long used in mobile apps which have similar issues) - simply start out with a slow automatic scrolling downward to let the user know there is more below. Then from there they can scroll or use arrow keys.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads