Does Anyone use checklists?

Started 8 months ago | Questions
phazelag
Senior MemberPosts: 1,983Gear list
Like?
Does Anyone use checklists?
8 months ago

Being a former Pilot I learned the value of following a checklist before and after and sometimes during a flight.  In almost every case of damaging an aircraft near take off or landing it was someone not following the checklist.  Usually that was a senior guy who got comfortable.

I think it should be required for surgeons as well.

I have been toying with making a Different Checklist for different types of Photography.  One for Landscapes, Events, Portraits, Studio, Street, and others.

I have considered laminating small or even tiny cards and attaching them to something like my camera strap, case, case strap loop, or keeping them in my wallet.

Usually when I put work into a shot, the only thing that prevents it from being better, is forgetting some fundamental or a setting I usually use in a different way.

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

phazelag's gear list:phazelag's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
billythek
Senior MemberPosts: 3,494
Like?
Re: Does Anyone use checklists?
In reply to phazelag, 8 months ago

I don't think I could stand to have a written checklist for each shot.

I've considered carrying a shot list, though, to help me better work the location.  Things like remember to shoot a pano, an HDR, low angle/high angle, portrait/landscape, different focal lengths, different lenses, back-lit shots, etc.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
PenPix
Contributing MemberPosts: 751
Like?

Nope.  But then I'm not holding a cabin full of people's life in my hands.

Depending on the camera you buy, you can preset custom profiles with a setting geared towards your shooting situation.  I've done this with my Nikon D700 and Fuji X-E1.  Of course I forget which preset is for what sometimes so I might need a checklist for that!

quadrox
Senior MemberPosts: 1,016Gear list
Like?
I have thought about it

I have though about writing one, not necessarily because I would look at it all the time, but just to help remember.

Stuff I am likely to screw up:

1. IS on when using Tripod
  2. IS off when not using Tripod
  3. High ISO from a previous low-light shoot
  4. 10 second timer from previous tripod shoot (my wireless remote is broken)

I feel like there are lots more I tend to forget, but I can't remember right now...

quadrox's gear list:quadrox's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM +2 more
Ron Poelman
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,931Gear list
Like?
Enemy pilots won't wait for you to complete your checklist.

Photo ops. tend to be the same,
maybe it's time to change your cam to something you feel comfortable with ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 Sony Alpha 7R
Moti
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,198
Like?

Being a former commeracial airline pilots trainer, I fully appreciate the importance of checklists in order to make sure that nothing is forgotten.

However, I think that the only place where a checklist can be very useful is a gear checklist for photography missions.

I am not the most organised person and I can count several times in the past when I forgot to bring with me a piece of gear that was important for the job and if you are a pro, it can be embarrassing.

Now, I keep a set of gear checklist cards adapted for every type of job we are going to do and that saved me lots of troubles.

But when it comes to photography itself, I doubt it very much. It maybe helpful for beginners but the danger but even then i woulnt recommend it because checklists are just the opposie of free spirit and creativity, which are essential elements of photography. Also lets not forget that if you miss an item in photography, you may end up with a bad photo. If you miss an item on a plane, you may end your life in a crash.

Cheers

Moti

P.S. just had a visit yo your web site and was very impressed of what I saw. I don't think you need a checklist 

-- hide signature --
merwind
Junior MemberPosts: 40
Like?
In reply to Moti, 8 months ago

I have always wondered myself of having one.  I guess the desire to have one is more related to the kind of work we do for a living. I am an IT professional and checklists are very common in our kind of work.

The one thing I always forget is to reset the exposure compensation after completing the shoot.  By the time you realise the mistake some pictures have already been taken with wrong exposure.

Mike_PEAT
Forum ProPosts: 10,033Gear list
Like?
I use the custom resets (MySets) in my Olympus cameras...

So I don't have to think about changing a million different settings or require a checklist for my cameras, I use the MySets (custom resets) to set the camera to the various configurations, daylight, studio, indoor, etc.

They should make planes so easy, just rotate one dial to change the various configurations like taxi, takeoff, level flight, landing, etc. The one dial would change all the settings like flaps, etc.

Mike_PEAT's gear list:Mike_PEAT's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB
yvind Strm
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,129
Like?

Yes, I use checklists. All the time. Either written, or mental.

When preparing for a job, I almost always make a list (or have one). It could be equipment I need, props, asssitance, pricing (what di I need to give a price).

It could be a list of poses. (As ideas to try something new)

Then, when shooting, I have a mental list.

1. Choose your subject with your heart (unless someone else tells you what to photograph)

2. Turn of heart, and activate he creative part of the brain to find an interesting approach. Lightsource (natural/articicial/mix), fill flash?, Direction of light, pov, ideas for story/props

3. Turn off heart and creative part, and activate logical part of brain. From now, everything is geometry (composition) and craft.

- define the main subject - both so it is clear what it is, and that it stands out from the background (so its shape is uninterupted).

- consider where to place the main subject. Consider composition rules, and how to break them.

- take advantage of supporting elements. Brain loves repetitions in color and shape.

- force the eye to look for distractions. Everything that do not add to the picture is a distraction, and needs to be elliminated. Use your feet, bend your kneeds, cdifferent focal length, limb a ladder, use a chainsaw, scissors to avoid the objects. If they cannot be removed, try to use focus and lighting to reduce the distraction. Before this is second nature, place camera on a tripod, as many find it is easier to both compose and look for distractions when the hands are free :-).

- make sure lighting and WB  is pleasant

- make sure focus is right. To me focus is a compositional tool, used to empasize objects. Focus placement and DOF.

- make sure exposure is right. Exposure is also about composition, as it can be used to empasize objects (with lighting, filters, gobos and such)

It goes with any type of photography I do. I have taken so many hundred of thousand shots, so I am pretty familiar with settings, but I see the need for a settings checklist for my D800E, especially because its easy to forget to restore settings after experimentation.

I have a job tomorrow, and are working on various checklists.

phazelag wrote:

Being a former Pilot I learned the value of following a checklist before and after and sometimes during a flight.  In almost every case of damaging an aircraft near take off or landing it was someone not following the checklist.  Usually that was a senior guy who got comfortable.

I have been toying with making a Different Checklist for different types of Photography.  One for Landscapes, Events, Portraits, Studio, Street, and others.

I have considered laminating small or even tiny cards and attaching them to something like my camera strap, case, case strap loop, or keeping them in my wallet.

Usually when I put work into a shot, the only thing that prevents it from being better, is forgetting some fundamental or a setting I usually use in a different way.

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Øyvind

Bob Tullis
Forum ProPosts: 26,018Gear list
Like?
Mental checklists, yes.

phazelag wrote:

Being a former Pilot I learned the value of following a checklist before and after and sometimes during a flight. In almost every case of damaging an aircraft near take off or landing it was someone not following the checklist. Usually that was a senior guy who got comfortable.

I have been toying with making a Different Checklist for different types of Photography. One for Landscapes, Events, Portraits, Studio, Street, and others.

That's called 'mistakes'.  Practice is about making, identifying, and working to avoid mistakes moving forward.   The checklist will be built in your head, eventually, with enough practice.

If a checklist helps you in the meanwhile, I say use any trick or technique to aide you in your goals in the meanwhile.   Even with a checklist, mistakes are still possible.    It goes with the territory.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC - Making Mistakes since 2001
http://www.bobtullis.com
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobtullis/
"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't." - Chief Dan George, Little Big Man

Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Rokinon 7.5mm 1:3.5 UMC Fisheye CS Voigtlander Nokton 17.5mm F0.95 Aspherical Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +18 more
phazelag
Like?
Re: Enemy pilots won't wait for you to complete your checklist.
In reply to Ron Poelman, 8 months ago

Ron Poelman wrote:

Photo ops. tend to be the same,
maybe it's time to change your cam to something you feel comfortable with ?

The US military is so dominate they never face enemy Pilots.  And all US Military Use Checklists.  The ones who dont wont be pilots very long.  The Pilots are not using a checklist during active engagement unless it is very specific to a weapon and then the list is usually pretty short, but effective.  Sometimes weapons have to armed, targeting data sent, etc.  Its not a video game.

I am extremely comfortable with all my cameras, but I have seen nationally known photographers make mistakes that could have been prevented with a checklist.

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5
phazelag
Like?
In reply to billythek, 8 months ago

billythek wrote:

I don't think I could stand to have a written checklist for each shot.

I've considered carrying a shot list, though, to help me better work the location. Things like remember to shoot a pano, an HDR, low angle/high angle, portrait/landscape, different focal lengths, different lenses, back-lit shots, etc.

-- hide signature --

- Bill

I have done that.  When I do an event I write down everything I am planning to do and I always refer back to it.

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

phazelag
Like?
In reply to PenPix, 8 months ago

PenPix wrote:

Nope. But then I'm not holding a cabin full of people's life in my hands.

Depending on the camera you buy, you can preset custom profiles with a setting geared towards your shooting situation. I've done this with my Nikon D700 and Fuji X-E1. Of course I forget which preset is for what sometimes so I might need a checklist for that!

I do need to make more use of these presets, I have some camera where I have set them and used them quite a bit, but then I also forget what I set in each one.

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,082
Like?
oh yeah

I used to do that. Part of the learning process. Guidelines for DOF, shutter speed, composition, camera usage, all put in little tiny tables. List of equipment to take on trips. How to guides. Tips and techniques.

The mere fact of organization and typing up a ton of stuff I considered relevant helped make it more intuitive, to the point I'd almost forgotten I had the lists. But they do help.

phazelag
Like?
Exactly!
In reply to quadrox, 8 months ago

quadrox wrote:

I have though about writing one, not necessarily because I would look at it all the time, but just to help remember.

Stuff I am likely to screw up:

1. IS on when using Tripod
  2. IS off when not using Tripod
  3. High ISO from a previous low-light shoot
  4. 10 second timer from previous tripod shoot (my wireless remote is broken)

I feel like there are lots more I tend to forget, but I can't remember right now...

Forgetting to lower the ISO and IS on a tripod are the two that happen to me the most.  The timer thing too!  I think people assume if someone needs a check they are somehow not good.  I fully disagree, the best people do what ever it takes to get it correct more often.

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

phazelag
Like?
Thanks
In reply to Moti, 8 months ago

Moti wrote:

Being a former commeracial airline pilots trainer, I fully appreciate the importance of checklists in order to make sure that nothing is forgotten.

However, I think that the only place where a checklist can be very useful is a gear checklist for photography missions.

I am not the most organised person and I can count several times in the past when I forgot to bring with me a piece of gear that was important for the job and if you are a pro, it can be embarrassing.

Now, I keep a set of gear checklist cards adapted for every type of job we are going to do and that saved me lots of troubles.

But when it comes to photography itself, I doubt it very much. It maybe helpful for beginners but the danger but even then i woulnt recommend it because checklists are just the opposie of free spirit and creativity, which are essential elements of photography. Also lets not forget that if you miss an item in photography, you may end up with a bad photo. If you miss an item on a plane, you may end your life in a crash.

Cheers

Moti

P.S. just had a visit yo your web site and was very impressed of what I saw. I don't think you need a checklist

-- hide signature --

Thanks for visiting my site.  I agree about the gear checklists.  I actually already do that for events.  But there has been times I have hiked for a landscape and forgotten remote or filter or something.  I always make it work, with a self timer or something, but a checklist would have helped.

I dont think I would actively use one during shooting, but just as a quick reminder in some situations.

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

phazelag
Like?
I need to get better at this
In reply to Mike_PEAT, 8 months ago

Mike_PEAT wrote:

So I don't have to think about changing a million different settings or require a checklist for my cameras, I use the MySets (custom resets) to set the camera to the various configurations, daylight, studio, indoor, etc.

They should make planes so easy, just rotate one dial to change the various configurations like taxi, takeoff, level flight, landing, etc. The one dial would change all the settings like flaps, etc.

I set them and then forget what I set them to. But I am committed to getting better at this.

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

phazelag
Like?
In reply to yvind Strm, 8 months ago

yvind Strm wrote:

Yes, I use checklists. All the time. Either written, or mental.

When preparing for a job, I almost always make a list (or have one). It could be equipment I need, props, asssitance, pricing (what di I need to give a price).

It could be a list of poses. (As ideas to try something new)

Then, when shooting, I have a mental list.

1. Choose your subject with your heart (unless someone else tells you what to photograph)

2. Turn of heart, and activate he creative part of the brain to find an interesting approach. Lightsource (natural/articicial/mix), fill flash?, Direction of light, pov, ideas for story/props

3. Turn off heart and creative part, and activate logical part of brain. From now, everything is geometry (composition) and craft.

- define the main subject - both so it is clear what it is, and that it stands out from the background (so its shape is uninterupted).

- consider where to place the main subject. Consider composition rules, and how to break them.

- take advantage of supporting elements. Brain loves repetitions in color and shape.

- force the eye to look for distractions. Everything that do not add to the picture is a distraction, and needs to be elliminated. Use your feet, bend your kneeds, cdifferent focal length, limb a ladder, use a chainsaw, scissors to avoid the objects. If they cannot be removed, try to use focus and lighting to reduce the distraction. Before this is second nature, place camera on a tripod, as many find it is easier to both compose and look for distractions when the hands are free :-).

- make sure lighting and WB is pleasant

- make sure focus is right. To me focus is a compositional tool, used to empasize objects. Focus placement and DOF.

- make sure exposure is right. Exposure is also about composition, as it can be used to empasize objects (with lighting, filters, gobos and such)

It goes with any type of photography I do. I have taken so many hundred of thousand shots, so I am pretty familiar with settings, but I see the need for a settings checklist for my D800E, especially because its easy to forget to restore settings after experimentation.

I have a job tomorrow, and are working on various checklists.

phazelag wrote:

Being a former Pilot I learned the value of following a checklist before and after and sometimes during a flight. In almost every case of damaging an aircraft near take off or landing it was someone not following the checklist. Usually that was a senior guy who got comfortable.

I have been toying with making a Different Checklist for different types of Photography. One for Landscapes, Events, Portraits, Studio, Street, and others.

What do you think?

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Øyvind

Great comments!  Thanks.  I fully agree! Your work is great.

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

phazelag
Like?
I know!
In reply to Bob Tullis, 8 months ago

Thanks

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

phazelag
Like?
Thanks
In reply to tko, 8 months ago

Thanks! Great comments

-- hide signature --

www.scottzinda.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads