OK, what do you think of -this- photo?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
JulesJ
Forum ProPosts: 33,023
Like?
Re: OK, what do you think of -this- photo?
In reply to skanter, 9 months ago

Here an monotone, blurred, badly exposed, noisy image from me.

jules

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
JulesJ
Like?
What about this one?

Jules

Spiky
Contributing MemberPosts: 759Gear list
Like?

Charlie Bucket got a camera.

Spiky's gear list:Spiky's gear list
Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM
MarshallG
Senior MemberPosts: 1,506Gear list
Like?
In reply to JulesJ, 9 months ago

Unfortunately, the over-exposed streetlight ruins it. I think you'd need multiple exposures or maybe hold a card to block the street lamp for much of the exposure. Probably with a multi exposure, you'd catch some flare from the lamp, which might improve the overall photo

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +4 more
skanter
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,541Gear list
Like?
In reply to MarshallG, 9 months ago

MarshallG wrote:

I love the industrialized look that could have come from any place or time -- except for the bus. I think the photo would be much better without the bus, which dates and locates the photo

Maybe, but IMO the bus gives the eye a point of focus, without it the photo doesnt work as well. I think this bus could be from the 40s or 50s, not distinct enough to look modern.  Thanks for the comments!

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter's gear list:skanter's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
skanter
Like?
Re: Photographer revealed
In reply to jrkliny, 9 months ago

jrkliny wrote:

This has a great composition and mood. It tells a story and makes me want to look at everything in the image. The mood aspect might be a bit much for some taste, mine included. I would have preferred a bit more detail. If this was mine, I would be upset about the camera shake. I don't think that adds to the mood.

-- hide signature --

For me, the softness of the photo adds to its impressionistic quality. Sharpness would detract From it's impact. Happy accident.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Canon EOS 60D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +4 more
skanter
Like?

JulesJ wrote:

jules

Jules, no offense, but it might be better to start your own thread. Its too confusing if everyone posts their photo on this thread I started.

The burnt out light ruins what could be a nice photo...

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Dataman
Contributing MemberPosts: 578
Like?

Reminds me of this one. This Link was one of the Best Photo's in the World when it was taken!

http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/exhibitions/permanent/firstphotograph//

-- hide signature --

God I miss my SR2 Camera. She was sweet.

Mattoid
Regular MemberPosts: 226
Like?

JulesJ wrote:

jules

This is a fine image sir! This could easily have been taken in the late 60s by an avante guarde street photographer, and to be honest I’m not sure I believe that it’s your image.

The best thing about it is that there is nothing really discernable happening, because photography is all about the mood not the subject and composition. And this has mood in buckets.

The wall is clearly an angular expression of modernist architecture with film noir overtones and the blurry bush is reminiscent of jungle vines creating a abstract juxtaposition that is compelling and thought provoking. It should be framed in A1 size on your wall if not already and should be published in a magazine: “Monotone blurred noisy subject-less photos - that look kind of old fassioned- weekly”.

Jeff_Donald
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?
In reply to Dataman, 9 months ago

It reminds me of this photo by Alfred Stieglitz, Winter On Fifth Avenue.

Jeff_Donald's gear list:Jeff_Donald's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Ricoh GR Digital IV Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +31 more
skanter
Like?
In reply to Jeff_Donald, 9 months ago

Jeff_Donald wrote:

It reminds me of this photo by Alfred Stieglitz, Winter On Fifth Avenue.

That reminds me a bit of mine!

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

Jeff_Donald
Regular MemberPosts: 300Gear list
Like?

The Stieglitz photo was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw yours. I really like your photo and I'd hang it on my wall as well.

The Stieglitz photo is quite famous, as it started Stieglitz thinking about photography and the direction the Pictorialism movement was headed. You can learn more about the image in the PBS documentary about Stieglitz, Alfred Stieglitz: The Eloquent Eye. You can find it on YouTube and Netflix.

I'm not really sure the Steichen photo that was referred to. His famous photo of the era, The Pond-Moonlight, is similar, and was the highest priced photo sold at auction ($2.92 million USD) for many years, until Gursky's Rhein ll displaced it.

Your image is in good company :-D, and I really enjoyed your sharing it.

Jeff_Donald's gear list:Jeff_Donald's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Ricoh GR Digital IV Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye +31 more
Robcox
New MemberPosts: 17Gear list
Like?

I like it as a life long, and I mean long, salon photographer.

The thing reeks of atmosphere and brings a feeling of nostalgia like the work of the late Aubry Bodine of the last century. Were it not for the modern clack on the street one would think we were in the past.

This could qualify as art even with the coach.

Robcox's gear list:Robcox's gear list
Rokinon 8mm f/2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye
skanter
Like?

Jeff_Donald wrote:

The Stieglitz photo was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw yours. I really like your photo and I'd hang it on my wall as well.

The Stieglitz photo is quite famous, as it started Stieglitz thinking about photography and the direction the Pictorialism movement was headed. You can learn more about the image in the PBS documentary about Stieglitz, Alfred Stieglitz: The Eloquent Eye. You can find it on YouTube and Netflix.

I'm not really sure the Steichen photo that was referred to. His famous photo of the era, The Pond-Moonlight, is similar, and was the highest priced photo sold at auction ($2.92 million USD) for many years, until Gursky's Rhein ll displaced it.

Your image is in good company :-D, and I really enjoyed your sharing it.

Thanks so much! And i will check out Stieglitz documentary on Netflix.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

skanter
Like?
In reply to Robcox, 9 months ago

Robcox wrote:

I like it as a life long, and I mean long, salon photographer.

The thing reeks of atmosphere and brings a feeling of nostalgia like the work of the late Aubry Bodine of the last century. Were it not for the modern clack on the street one would think we were in the past.

This could qualify as art even with the coach.

Thanks! It was really a lucky accident as many photos are, but I was quite thrilled that i had somehow produced this image. It has, for the most part, received very enthusiastic responses. It is one of the very few in my life that I thought deserved to be framed and hung on my wall.

What did you mean by "modern clack on the street"?

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

ppage
Senior MemberPosts: 1,601Gear list
Like?
Re: Photographer revealed

For people who have spent a lot of money on equipment chasing after the ideal of the technically perfect photo, I can see that this image could be somewhat threatening.

ppage's gear list:ppage's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
JulesJ
Like?
In reply to MarshallG, 9 months ago

MarshallG wrote:

Unfortunately, the over-exposed streetlight ruins it. I think you'd need multiple exposures or maybe hold a card to block the street lamp for much of the exposure. Probably with a multi exposure, you'd catch some flare from the lamp, which might improve the overall photo

Explain to me why the bright light ruins it. Is it because technically you think there should be detail in the completely white part of the light, or is it that you don't like the light as and artistic part of the image, or something else. My point here is that a photo, is a photo, is a photo. People on this forum are not able to move outside the technical constraints that they have learned, and think that showing part of a picture over or under exposed, out of focus, or grainy, is not allowed. I am trying to show this is the wrong approach. One should look at the image, as an image.

JulesJ
Like?

skanter wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

jules

Jules, no offense, but it might be better to start your own thread. Its too confusing if everyone posts their photo on this thread I started.

I think we all had our say about you image. I did, I liked it, and I am furthering the discussion that you started. It raises important points.

The burnt out light ruins what could be a nice photo...

Explain why.

-- hide signature --

Sam K., NYC

JulesJ
Like?
In reply to Mattoid, 9 months ago

Mattoid wrote:

JulesJ wrote:

jules

This is a fine image sir! This could easily have been taken in the late 60s by an avante guarde street photographer, and to be honest I’m not sure I believe that it’s your image.

The best thing about it is that there is nothing really discernable happening, because photography is all about the mood not the subject and composition. And this has mood in buckets.

The wall is clearly an angular expression of modernist architecture with film noir overtones and the blurry bush is reminiscent of jungle vines creating a abstract juxtaposition that is compelling and thought provoking. It should be framed in A1 size on your wall if not already and should be published in a magazine: “Monotone blurred noisy subject-less photos - that look kind of old fassioned- weekly”.

JulesJ
Like?

Jeff_Donald wrote:

It reminds me of this photo by Alfred Stieglitz, Winter On Fifth Avenue.

Not bad but ruined by the general overall  up sharpness, the lack of detail in the foreground and background, and the terrible fading. I jest to make a point.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads