What is your biggest disappointment about GM1?

Started Nov 28, 2013 | Discussions
TonyinJapan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?
No bloody lens cap for the base with the 12-32mm lens!!
In reply to eastvillager, Nov 28, 2013

For the GM1 and 12-32mm lens package, there is no lens cap for the bottom or for the camera! The camera is attached to the lens straight out of the box! WTF!

Regards,
Tony
--------
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26154011@N07/

TonyinJapan's gear list:TonyinJapan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus PEN E-P1 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
TonyinJapan
Senior MemberPosts: 1,062Gear list
Like?
Seriously, though (in order of disappointment)…
In reply to TonyinJapan, Nov 28, 2013

1. Miss IBIS (from Olympus cameras)

2. Battery life

3. NR control (still NR is used even when NR is set at -5 maximum reduction)

4. Egonomics could be better (e.g small thumb grip on the back)

5. No sweep panoramic mode

However, saying that, it is a fantastic compact camera! Really impressed with the AF, customisation ability, menu system, ISO ability, silent mode, and improved colour of its jpeg engine (got rid of a GX1 because of that).

One other thing I love and find handy about it is the x3 shot timer mode. I really missed this feature from a Nikon D90 I owned before where the self-timer could take multiple shots in sequence. This camera can take three in a sequence which is great for group shots (where someone is bound to have closed eyes), so you have a selection to choose from.

Regards,
Tony
--------

TonyinJapan's gear list:TonyinJapan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus PEN E-P1 +3 more
aukhawk
Contributing MemberPosts: 725
Like?
no focus ring

Lack of focus ring on the kit lens.

That means it will have limited usefulness on other 4/3 cameras.  Shame because it looks like a neat little lens.

SHood
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,227Gear list
Like?
Re: Double wheel for aperture & exposure!
In reply to hybert46, Nov 28, 2013

hybert46 wrote:

One of my big concern is how to quickly set the correct aperture and exposure compensation for each pictures.

A double wheel on the top of the camera (a la DSLR or Em-5) is for me clearly the solution that is fast and strait forward. On the other hand, I can dig in the menu if I want to change the shooting mode or the autofocus mode, this is not something you have to adapt for each picture. So for me, the top wheel in the GM1 dedicated to the AF-mode and shooting mode are not the best choice.

Simon

-- hide signature --

Simon
Flickr favorites: http://flic.kr/s/aHsjkypfZu
E-M5, 7.5mm fisheye, 9-18mm, 12mm, 20mm, 45mm

I think the new 15mm f1.7 will be a big seller with the GM1 due to the aperture ring.  I hope all future fast lenses will have aperture rings.

-- hide signature --
 SHood's gear list:SHood's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS
SHood
Like?
1080p60
In reply to Sean Nelson, Nov 28, 2013

Sean Nelson wrote:

They have crippled the camera's video capabilities by not supporting 1080p60.   This is said to be due to the camera's not being able to dissipate enough heat because of its small size, but my Sony RX100 manages this feat without any issues.

Yes that is also my biggest disappointment.  I have the RX100 and would not want to lose that feature.  A fast compact lens with fast AF is also needed although the pre-announced 15mm f1.7 looks like this might be the answer.

All of the other issues surrounding limited mechanical shutter don't bother me.  The benefit of a quieter shutter far outweighs this.

-- hide signature --
TEBnewyork
Forum ProPosts: 11,337
Like?
Re: No bloody lens cap for the base with the 12-32mm lens!!

That was how NEX cameras were shipped.

-- hide signature --

terry
www.terrybanet.com

Richt2000
Senior MemberPosts: 2,900Gear list
Like?
Re: What is your biggest disappointment about GM1?

eastvillager wrote:

lets be a bit more positive shall we?

Id say the only improvement I'd like is another control wheel so I can control aperture and exp comp without pressing a button. Maybe instead of that focus switch

Its an amazing camera - had mine for a week now...

Richt2000's gear list:Richt2000's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha 7R Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +9 more
TEBnewyork
Like?
Re: no focus ring
In reply to aukhawk, Nov 28, 2013

For the GM1 I'd rather keep the lens really small and not have the focus ring. Honestly how many people using a kit lens want to manually focus it?  Primes missing a focus ring would be a bigger deal.

-- hide signature --

terry
www.terrybanet.com

webber15
Regular MemberPosts: 174Gear list
Like?

The biggest disappointment is your negative question...you know what your getting before hand...as for image quality,not much difference between similar size sensor cams...

webber15's gear list:webber15's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5
jack Hoggard
Contributing MemberPosts: 825Gear list
Like?
Shutter Shock

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Nexus 7 +1 more
Pedagydusz
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,617Gear list
Like?
Re: Shutter Shock
In reply to jack Hoggard, Nov 28, 2013

So, you mean that you miss shutter shock badly?  

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Adobe Photoshop CS6
snack
Regular MemberPosts: 148
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, Nov 28, 2013

TEBnewyork wrote:

For the GM1 I'd rather keep the lens really small and not have the focus ring. Honestly how many people using a kit lens want to manually focus it? Primes missing a focus ring would be a bigger deal.

-- hide signature --

terry
www.terrybanet.com

Agreed.  These threads crack me up.  If the camera is missing things you want, don't buy it.  But don't call it a fault just because it doesn't have your pet feature.

It is what it is.

Dr_Jon
Senior MemberPosts: 1,702Gear list
Like?
In reply to Willing, Nov 28, 2013

Really? More pixels in less space, that should be worse not better... Plus the Sony sensor seems to use more pixels to make the video image than the Panasonic cameras, which should be worse still...

Dr_Jon's gear list:Dr_Jon's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +25 more
Robert Deutsch
Forum ProPosts: 10,107Gear list
Like?
Re: No bloody lens cap for the base with the 12-32mm lens!!

TonyinJapan wrote:

For the GM1 and 12-32mm lens package, there is no lens cap for the bottom or for the camera! The camera is attached to the lens straight out of the box! WTF!

Regards,
Tony
--------

I just noticed the lack of lens and body cap today, and I have to agree.  The cost to Panasonic would have been minimal, but they decided to cheap out.

Bob

Robert Deutsch's gear list:Robert Deutsch's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
KwhyChang
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,157Gear list
Like?

Of course this is all personal.

In order of importance to me.

1. Mechanical shutter tops out at 1/500... although I do like that it has a silent shutter option for static subjects

2. A big reason to buy this cam would be the lens, but the lens has no mechanical focus ring and offers little quality to µ4/3 lens lineup, IMO

3. Weak flash and no flash shoe. My E-P3, which I prefer as my carry everywhere, has 10 meter flash, Gm1 has a 4 meter flash (DPR specs)

4. No grip. This was my main beef with the PL3 and PM1. Granted I'll use my Flip Bac solution, but I often hate these cost cutting tactics

5. Not having all colors in all markets. I shouldn't have to buy a camera from halfway around the world because of a stupid marketing dildo

6. No way to attach an EVF. There are times when I want a viewfinder with MY portable. I can do that with the E-P3

7. Although you can use it with lots of other lenses, it would be unbalanced IMO with most

I was really excited about this camera, especially after seeing it won Gear of the Year, Part2. However it, and the GX7, EM1, made me rethink what I spend my money on and what I get back for it. Decided to stay with E-P3 as my take everywhere. Although it's not as small, it feels better to hold. Subsequently, I ordered the Sony A7 and am absolutely ecstatic. But that's a personal move on my part to reclaim my love for my full frame gear in a more lightweight package.

-- hide signature --

Dave

Dr_Jon
Like?

I debated changing my RX100 for one, but decided not to as...

(1) No 1080/50p video (I suspect this has much more to do with Panasonic's processor being higher power than Sony's, rather than the sensor size difference).

(2) The RX100 has less moire (in video) than my GH3 (even when shot really flat), so is a handy alternative for some situations. (I'm pretty confident Sony are using all the pixels, Panasonic certainly aren't.)

(3) No EVF, that's the obvious step-up from the RX100.

(4) Slow GM1 mechanical shutter - but how good/bad is this? I don't know. As the flash-sync is very poor it suggests it will be bad for anything moving. (Meaning the read-out time is slow, no good having 1/16000 shutter speed if the bottom of the sensor does that 1/50 sec, or whatever, after the top.)

(5) RX100 lens is very sharp, plus fast at the wide end (even allowing for m43 sensor size it's still faster than the GM1 kit lens).

(6) RX100 is shirt-pocketable.

(7) RX100 AF is lightning-fast, however good the GM1 AF is it won't be usably better in real-world situations.

The GM1 does look very cool though, but not a RX100-beater...

Sony RX100 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +25 more
SHood
Like?
In reply to Dr_Jon, Nov 28, 2013

Dr_Jon wrote:

I debated changing my RX100 for one, but decided not to as...

(1) No 1080/50p video (I suspect this has much more to do with Panasonic's processor being higher power than Sony's, rather than the sensor size difference).

(2) The RX100 has less moire (in video) than my GH3 (even when shot really flat), so is a handy alternative for some situations. (I'm pretty confident Sony are using all the pixels, Panasonic certainly aren't.)

(3) No EVF, that's the obvious step-up from the RX100.

(4) Slow GM1 mechanical shutter - but how good/bad is this? I don't know. As the flash-sync is very poor it suggests it will be bad for anything moving. (Meaning the read-out time is slow, no good having 1/16000 shutter speed if the bottom of the sensor does that 1/50 sec, or whatever, after the top.)

(5) RX100 lens is very sharp, plus fast at the wide end (even allowing for m43 sensor size it's still faster than the GM1 kit lens).

(6) RX100 is shirt-pocketable.

(7) RX100 AF is lightning-fast, however good the GM1 AF is it won't be usably better in real-world situations.

The GM1 does look very cool though, but not a RX100-beater...

As an RX100 owner I agree with some of what you mention, although I don't find moire an issue with my GH3.

The lens on the RX100 needs to be stopped down at the wide end before it is sharp (I always shoot at f4.5 outdoors).  Indoors at f1.8 the lens is very soft.  A fast m43 lens would be much sharper in low light along with having less noise in the image.

The AF on the RX100 is very good outdoors but slows down indoors.  Low light AF speed and accuracy is one area where Panasonic is leading everyone.

But like you I don't want to give up 1080p60 and I enjoy the size of this fixed lens camera.  If the GM2 would introduce 1080p60 and if the 30mm f1.7 were sharp wide open with faster/more accurate AF then I will reconsider, although by then I would be comparing with RX200. 

-- hide signature --
SHood
Like?
In reply to TEBnewyork, Nov 28, 2013

TEBnewyork wrote:

For the GM1 I'd rather keep the lens really small and not have the focus ring. Honestly how many people using a kit lens want to manually focus it?  Primes missing a focus ring would be a bigger deal.

-- hide signature --

terry
www.terrybanet.com

Agreed.  Either get a faster prime where manual AF becomes more useful or just get the GM1 body and attached one of the larger kit primes that have a focus ring.

Panasonic made the right design decision with this zoom lens.

-- hide signature --
TEBnewyork
Like?
In reply to SHood, Nov 28, 2013

I had the RX100 AF speed is not better than the GM1 under any lighting conditions. GM1 clearly better in low light.

-- hide signature --

terry
www.terrybanet.com

Dr_Jon
Like?
In reply to SHood, Nov 28, 2013

I find the RX100 AF is pretty good indoors in low-light, I don't recall it hunting around? Usually AF confirm comes right after the half-press. I'll keep my eyes open to see any instances where it's less good.

BTW it's a pity you're not in/near London (U.K. that is, the ON one doesn't count here I'm afraid), as I have a great moire test there. I've shot about 50 clips with the GH3 (on 3-4 occasions) trying to sort out the best settings to minimise moire, but no joy so far. I had a chat with Philip Bloom and he thinks I've got no chance, so perhaps he's right.

Oh, and before I forget, I find the lens nicely sharp in the centre at f1.8, although the corners aren't so hot.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads