GH3 vs GX7: Differences?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
Ontario Gone
Senior MemberPosts: 3,256Gear list
Like?
GH3 vs GX7: Differences?
11 months ago

So i think i am won over by MFT for good now. I have been looking at the X-E1 but the lens situation is just bugging me. The Fuji lenses are fantastic, but the cheapest one is $400, and the adapters for third party (what im really excited about) are not as numerous either. For example i still own 3 sony lenses i could use, but the only sony to fuji adapter is $300, compared to the same one for MFT for $60. To add to all this in my mind, DXO has a very slight margin between new MFT (GX7, GH3, EM5/1) and todays leading APSC. It is more or less a half a stop, at most, some are even. That is not very much when you consider speed boosters can make up an entire stop of light the other direction.

So, my decision is now in house. EM1 is too spendy, i just don't want to spend that much on a body and still have zero lenses. EM5 is missing a lot of what i want, the EVF isn't as nice as it could be, same with the LCD, it doesn't have 60p in video, and is lacking in things like peaking which i really want for use with lens adapters. This leaves me with the GH3 and GX7. I have read a lot about both, watched a lot of youtube, but aside from more video codecs on the 3, what are the major differences?

Having a battery grip would be nice, but in the opposite way, so would having such a small camera as the GX7. Is there any real performance issues one has over the other? They both have peaking as i'm aware, they both have wifi. Does the GH3 allow peaking in video like the 7? I really like the 1/320th flash sync of the GX7, and the 1/8000 ss as well. I would like to make up my mind but i don't want to buy one then find out something i missed (i am alergic to buyer's remorse). Feel free to offer any insight you wish, anything is helpful. If you have a list of 100 differences, i will read them all. Ty in advance, happy shooting.

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
eastvillager
Contributing MemberPosts: 957Gear list
Like?
Re: GH3 vs GX7: Differences?
In reply to Ontario Gone, 11 months ago

They could feel and look any different in your hands. Seems like a no brainer. If you're shooting pro level work and want a larger SLR type camera with great video and mic inputs then that's the baby. THe GX7 is more a rangefinder type camera with no mic inputs. Much more nimble.

Ontario Gone wrote:

So i think i am won over by MFT for good now. I have been looking at the X-E1 but the lens situation is just bugging me. The Fuji lenses are fantastic, but the cheapest one is $400, and the adapters for third party (what im really excited about) are not as numerous either. For example i still own 3 sony lenses i could use, but the only sony to fuji adapter is $300, compared to the same one for MFT for $60. To add to all this in my mind, DXO has a very slight margin between new MFT (GX7, GH3, EM5/1) and todays leading APSC. It is more or less a half a stop, at most, some are even. That is not very much when you consider speed boosters can make up an entire stop of light the other direction.

So, my decision is now in house. EM1 is too spendy, i just don't want to spend that much on a body and still have zero lenses. EM5 is missing a lot of what i want, the EVF isn't as nice as it could be, same with the LCD, it doesn't have 60p in video, and is lacking in things like peaking which i really want for use with lens adapters. This leaves me with the GH3 and GX7. I have read a lot about both, watched a lot of youtube, but aside from more video codecs on the 3, what are the major differences?

Having a battery grip would be nice, but in the opposite way, so would having such a small camera as the GX7. Is there any real performance issues one has over the other? They both have peaking as i'm aware, they both have wifi. Does the GH3 allow peaking in video like the 7? I really like the 1/320th flash sync of the GX7, and the 1/8000 ss as well. I would like to make up my mind but i don't want to buy one then find out something i missed (i am alergic to buyer's remorse). Feel free to offer any insight you wish, anything is helpful. If you have a list of 100 differences, i will read them all. Ty in advance, happy shooting.

eastvillager's gear list:eastvillager's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
MrWalrusGumboot
Regular MemberPosts: 179Gear list
Like?

Hi,

I own both cameras so hopefully can help.

Firstly the GH3 doesn't haven't peaking in any mode, so if that's a requirement for you, that helps narrow things down. The GX7's peaking is superb, 3 different colour choices per sensitivity level, works in video and stills and in the viewfinder, even with picture in picture mode. Let's not forget too that the GX7 will stabilize your manual lenses too.

In terms of video differences, in AVCHD their video capabilities are virtually identical, picture-wise (keep in mind the GX7 doesn't have a mic input or headphone output). But the GX7's video is still outstanding. GH3 also offers h.264 codec in mov at 72mbps and 50mbps, I think you know if you need that bitrate, if you don't know, you probably don't need it.

Customisability, they rate about the same. Both offer tons of control and physical buttons. GX7 adds something I really like, Touch AE, kinda like spot metering I guess but without the hassle of changing your metering mode in-definitely.

GH3 is weather sealed mith mg body. GX7 has mg body but no weather sealing. I've used GH3 is snow conditions to -12 Celsius for two hours shooting star trails and no issues. Haven't tried the GX7 is really trying conditions yet, but I think it'll do okay.

Battery life, in video I can get around 4 hours on one battery from my GH3 which is astounding, the GX7 about half of that. I can generally get a solid day shooting stills on the GX7 before needing the spare.

Viewfinder, GX7 hands down, also I love and use the tilting all the time.

LCD, close call, the GX7 looks better, but the GH3 is fully articulated which is handy.

Both have silent mode, however I think the side affects are more noticeable on the GH3. Silent mode is incredibly useful for me,

Both have wifi, but the GX7 allows you to see your live view during video shooting, where the GH3 doesn't. The wifi is fantastic and a feature I use very regularly. It's also made others happy that I can share shots straight away, even on proper jobs.

Image quality, pretty close, I perceive my GX7 shots to be a little sharper but haven't done a thorough comparison.

To me, the GX7 is the funner camera to shoot with, I own one of these bags http://www.onabags.com/store/small-goods/the-bowery.html and keep it with a 12mm Oly, 25mm panny, 45mm Oly, 35-100mm panny and it's an absolute joy.

I still enjoy my GH3, and will use it on certain video applications or for stills where the battery grips helps me out etc. otherwise it's GX7 all the way.

Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --

Let the light guide you...

MrWalrusGumboot's gear list:MrWalrusGumboot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +11 more
Ontario Gone
Like?
In reply to MrWalrusGumboot, 11 months ago

MrWalrusGumboot wrote:

Hi,

HAHA, thank you both East and MR. Walrus, you guys are awesome for responding so quickly.

Firstly the GH3 doesn't haven't peaking in any mode, so if that's a requirement for you, that helps narrow things down. The GX7's peaking is superb, 3 different colour choices per sensitivity level, works in video and stills and in the viewfinder, even with picture in picture mode. Let's not forget too that the GX7 will stabilize your manual lenses too.

Oh jeeze, it kind of is important. I know i want perhaps the kit lens for when AF is a MUST, bc sometimes i will just need it (i have a 2yo). But, most of my fun time shooting is manual where i can take my time, even portraits are fine with manual focusing. This is where i plan to wring out every drop of IQ with the help of speed boosters eventually, so peaking is a big one. Stabilization too, very helpful shooting in low light indoors like i do.

In terms of video differences, in AVCHD their video capabilities are virtually identical, picture-wise (keep in mind the GX7 doesn't have a mic input or headphone output). But the GX7's video is still outstanding. GH3 also offers h.264 codec in mov at 72mbps and 50mbps, I think you know if you need that bitrate, if you don't know, you probably don't need it.

I've always been a proponent of external mics. I don't edit too much, but i have played with syncing and i would just assume be fine with no mic input, no biggy. I do have a beefy PC but don't really need the massive files of h.264, don't plan on editing tbh. By the time i'm ready for that, i will be on my next purchase, gh5 maybe lol.

GH3 is weather sealed mith mg body. GX7 has mg body but no weather sealing. I've used GH3 is snow conditions to -12 Celsius for two hours shooting star trails and no issues. Haven't tried the GX7 is really trying conditions yet, but I think it'll do okay.

Yea i would really like sealing but i can't say i go out into many hurricanes to shoot, i think i can live without and hate to give up other features.

Battery life, in video I can get around 4 hours on one battery from my GH3 which is astounding, the GX7 about half of that. I can generally get a solid day shooting stills on the GX7 before needing the spare.

Will definitely need a spare batter for the 7.

LCD, close call, the GX7 looks better, but the GH3 is fully articulated which is handy.

Yea i like the higher rez of both, articulated is nice for selfies but not that big of a deal when u have wifi on your phone.

Both have wifi, but the GX7 allows you to see your live view during video shooting, where the GH3 doesn't. The wifi is fantastic and a feature I use very regularly. It's also made others happy that I can share shots straight away, even on proper jobs.

This is important. I will use the wifi, and to be able to use it for video is great. I appreciate all the info guys, it seems the GX7 is going to be the camera then. One feature i really liked on both is the pinpoint AF point. So many times on other cameras the FP are too big and can't tell what i am shooting for. Between that and peaking for manual lenses, clear sailing. If anybody thinks of more feel free to post, thx again.

Mephistopheles*
Regular MemberPosts: 124Gear list
Like?

Also, GH3 is 4.4 oz. heavier than GX7--it's the heaviest m4/3 camera ever.  GX7 also has a better viewfinder.

Jim

Mephistopheles*'s gear list:Mephistopheles*'s gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ18 Nikon Coolpix P330 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3
jhinkey
Senior MemberPosts: 2,358Gear list
Like?

I've been thinking of the GX7 or the GH3 myself.  All these responses are quite useful, but one question I still have is the screen of the GX7 - does anyone worry about damaging it since it can't be reversed for protection?

Obviously I would put a screen protector of some sort on it, but I intend to use mine hiking/climbing/skiing with the camera around my torso and the screen against my body/coat/etc. where there are zippers, clips, straps, etc. to possibly bang into.  Currently when I use my GH2 in such a manner I reverse the screen to protect it.

- John

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 +19 more
Pete Berry
Senior MemberPosts: 2,139
Like?
In reply to jhinkey, 11 months ago

In heavy usage of GH1, 2, and 3 over the years, I've never reversed the screen, never had a scratch - but don't throw them into a bag with loose gear. I do us a BlackRapid cross-chest strap which suspends the body from the tripod socket with it's sliding strap fixture, though, so no body contact with screen.

PB

jhinkey wrote:

I've been thinking of the GX7 or the GH3 myself. All these responses are quite useful, but one question I still have is the screen of the GX7 - does anyone worry about damaging it since it can't be reversed for protection?

Obviously I would put a screen protector of some sort on it, but I intend to use mine hiking/climbing/skiing with the camera around my torso and the screen against my body/coat/etc. where there are zippers, clips, straps, etc. to possibly bang into. Currently when I use my GH2 in such a manner I reverse the screen to protect it.

- John

jack Hoggard
Contributing MemberPosts: 825Gear list
Like?

I have a stupid question.  How do you see stars in snow conditions?  

-- hide signature --

jaxupra

jack Hoggard's gear list:jack Hoggard's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Sony Xperia Z Ultra Google Nexus 7 +1 more
mpgxsvcd
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,737Gear list
Like?

The GH3 is only weather resistant with the 13-35mm and 35-100mm weather proof Panasonic lenses. If you don't have either of those lenses and you try to make a claim about how the elements damaged the camera then Panasonic will not warranty it. Or at least that is what a Panasonic Rep told me.

mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,369
Like?
In reply to jack Hoggard, 11 months ago

jack Hoggard wrote:

I have a stupid question. How do you see stars in snow conditions?

The clouds come.   The snow falls.  The clouds go.   The snow stays.   The sun sets.  The stars come out.

jennajenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,170
Like?

MrWalrusGumboot wrote:

Hi,

Customisability, they rate about the same. Both offer tons of control and physical buttons. GX7 adds something I really like, Touch AE, kinda like spot metering I guess but without the hassle of changing your metering mode in-definitely.

Both have silent mode, however I think the side affects are more noticeable on the GH3. Silent mode is incredibly useful for me,

Image quality, pretty close, I perceive my GX7 shots to be a little sharper but haven't done a thorough comparison.

To me, the GX7 is the funner camera to shoot with, I own one of these bags http://www.onabags.com/store/small-goods/the-bowery.html and keep it with a 12mm Oly, 25mm panny, 45mm Oly, 35-100mm panny and it's an absolute joy.

I still enjoy my GH3, and will use it on certain video applications or for stills where the battery grips helps me out etc. otherwise it's GX7 all the way.

Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --

you seriously see a difference in raw files??

i don.t, but i DO see a diff on video for the GH3 - way better and the weatherproofness is awesome (got hit by a wave in hawaii and it works fine),,better ergonimics too. And the fully tiltable back screen on GH3 allows for really amazing super low shots and self shots. Just not sold on the gx7 for pics and video. What else really matters?

Harvey
Regular MemberPosts: 180Gear list
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 11 months ago

I have a GH# and an Oly OMD5 thinking of truing my Oly OMD5 for the GX7.

Would you recommend that?

MrWalrusGumboot
Like?
In reply to Sean Nelson, 11 months ago

jack Hoggard wrote:

The clouds come.   The snow falls.  The clouds go.   The snow stays.   The sun sets.  The stars come out.

Thank you Sean!
--

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +11 more
MrWalrusGumboot
Like?
In reply to jennajenna, 11 months ago

MrWalrusGumboot wrote:

Hi,

Hope that helps.

-- hide signature --

i don.t, but i DO see a diff on video for the GH3 - way better and the weatherproofness is awesome (got hit by a wave in hawaii and it works fine),,better ergonimics too. And the fully tiltable back screen on GH3 allows for really amazing super low shots and self shots. Just not sold on the gx7 for pics and video. What else really matters?

Hi,
As I mentioned, I haven't done any thorough testing (because it's not that important to me), but yes my perception is the GX7 is giving me slightly sharper images. However I'm not side by side with the same lens shooting the same scene, it doesn't bother me that much. Either is capable of sensational images.

Video quality, I don't think there's any difference in AVCHD mode at all, compared with the GH3's MOV mode, sure. However, as I said in my first post, you know if you need that bitrate and codec. If you don't know, you don't need it.

Free angle screen, absolutely. It's great having the free angle on the GH3, I don't find the tilting on the GX7 to be more discreet for street shooting, but for many other applications the GH3 screen is better.

To clarify my point to others, I spent over two hours sitting in the snow at high altitude (4km above sea level) shooting star trails with the GH3 and the 7-14mm lens at -12 degrees C. It wasn't snowing while I was shooting, but I'm indicating the conditions I was in.

I'm not bagging the GH3, I love mine and still see a reason for me to own both. I just think the GX7 seems to meet the OP requirements more.
--

MrWalrusGumboot
Like?
In reply to mpgxsvcd, 11 months ago

The GH3 is only weather resistant with the 13-35mm and 35-100mm weather proof Panasonic lenses. If you don't have either of those lenses and you try to make a claim about how the elements damaged the camera then Panasonic will not warranty it. Or at least that is what a Panasonic Rep told me.

Good point. Unless the OP is planning to purchase sealed lenses, they can't really factor that in when weighing up the two cameras. Same goes for the Olympuses too.
--

Sean Nelson
Forum ProPosts: 10,369
Like?

MrWalrusGumboot wrote:

jack Hoggard wrote:

The clouds come. The snow falls. The clouds go. The snow stays. The sun sets. The stars come out.

Thank you Sean!

You're. Welcome!

Ontario Gone
Like?

MrWalrusGumboot wrote:

Video quality, I don't think there's any difference in AVCHD mode at all, compared with the GH3's MOV mode, sure. However, as I said in my first post, you know if you need that bitrate and codec. If you don't know, you don't need it.

I was under the impression that the extra bitrate was just more room for adjustment, but the original files looked very similar. Is there really that much of a difference OOC or are you guys talking about once the MOV has been sharpened and touched up?

Corkcampbell
Forum ProPosts: 13,051Gear list
Like?
Are you saying it's not weather-resistant with the Oly WS lenses,
In reply to mpgxsvcd, 11 months ago

such as the 60mm 2.8 and the 12-50 kit zoom?

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads